Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• SI Staff
i need to find where the installation log can anyone help

From the opening post in this thread - "Please check the ‘Football_Manager_2009_InstallLog.log’ located in ‘C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009’ and report any errors. If you do have errors can you please also report where you purchased the game from." :thup:

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
Right Marc, new problem I think!

I got in (somehow, then tried to load my last game (didnt delete all files in the end) and it said 'Could not load save game' then booted me out of the game and I now cant get back in to the game as it has not appeared as a shortcut OR in my programs?

Cheers (AGAIN!) :p

Which operating system? If Vista, have a look in "start" then "games"

• SI Staff
Sorry Mark, but i'm having similar problems, installed game via Steam, then recieved error:graphics set failed as with a few others on here, followed the link you gave to microsoft website to download sdk, and now whenever i boot the game up it says fm:exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close!

Then i followed the lnik back to microsoft to install the dot Net framework and it STILL doesn't work!

I've updated all my drivers as well!

What do i do next!!

Are you running the patch v9.1?

• SI Staff
Sorry Mark, but i'm having similar problems, installed game via Steam, then recieved error:graphics set failed as with a few others on here, followed the link you gave to microsoft website to download sdk, and now whenever i boot the game up it says fm:exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close!

Then i followed the lnik back to microsoft to install the dot Net framework and it STILL doesn't work!

I've updated all my drivers as well!

What do i do next!!

What graphics card do you have?

Nah, graphics system failed. I'm patched, updated drivers, done the SDK and updated directx. All that everyone's suggested, but my PC's over 4 years old so I wasn't really expecting it to work.

I'll probably treat myself to a new machine soon and then enjoy the fruits of your labour. Well done for trying tonight :)

I've got the patched version (9.1) on my steam downloaded version of FM2009

My computer has high end specs:

4gb ram

4.8ghz processer

Nvdidia Gforce 8600GT video card

The game continually freezes (at least once a week of game time so far) and I have to shut it down using the task manager and try again. Last night the game ran fine for an hour. I tried windowed mode but it's greyed out on the prefernces page. Is there a way to force windowed mode? Also are there any other pointers you could give me to solve this so I can have a go at playing the game (I've been trying for hours today and my misery was compounded by taking a break to see Ipswich play badly at Doncaster and I need to prove I know better than Jim Magilton how to get the team winning!) Thanks in advance for your help!

• SI Staff
I am still getting the "Steam server is unavailable" message. I have tried the solution mentioned in this thread but it is still the same.

What should i do?

This was on my email recently to get looked at / fixed

Mark, can you take a look at this issue?

"When I try to start the game, Soft Anchor says my trial period has ended and asks me for key. I put my key in and the activation goes on fine. When I try to start the game I get the same message on and on and on. Seems like the activation process is bugged, because it wants me to activate every time I try to start. Anyone have any advice for this problem?"

Already tried reinstalling the game and deleting certificate files.

• SI Staff
I am using Vista system. And I just get "football manager 2009 has stopped working" error when I tried to run it.

I think lots of people have the same problem with me.

what's the solution please?

Do you have the patch?

I installed through Steam and now I get an annoying block of colour on my screen (bottom right hand corner)

Fix: In steam click the icon "settings", click the tab "in game" and untick the "enable steam community" and voila

Cheers pal all sorted

I get the "unable to connect" message as soon as i enter my code and press next... its getting really annoying now.. but whats more annoying is that your fix doesn't even make sence, for a start points 1-5 don't happen for me as all i get when i go to that adress is a box asking for a password etc

seriously this is well annoying. what made you lot think it was a good idea to put all this encryption rubbish on this game? i really do hope you've saved yourselfs that 20p extra or what ever it is from stopping people having pirate copies... cos come this time next year, you aint gonna be seeing a penny from most of the loyal fans of the game... what a joke.

• SI Staff
I get the "unable to connect" message as soon as i enter my code and press next... its getting really annoying now.. but whats more annoying is that your fix doesn't even make sence, for a start points 1-5 don't happen for me as all i get when i go to that adress is a box asking for a password etc

seriously this is well annoying. what made you lot think it was a good idea to put all this encryption rubbish on this game? i really do hope you've saved yourselfs that 20p extra or what ever it is from stopping people having pirate copies... cos come this time next year, you aint gonna be seeing a penny from most of the loyal fans of the game... what a joke.

As I said a few posts up, the URL is wrong. I'm waiting for a new URL and we can get you moving.

There was no need for the 2nd paragraph. I appreciate you are annoyed but that doesn't get us anywhere.

If you mean 9.1.0 patch, yes I have already installed.

But just got this error window without giving out any causes.

Lots of people are complaining about this problem at technical forum as well.

I have even tried " compatible with windows xp sp2", but don't work too.

• SI Staff
If you mean 9.1.0 patch, yes I have already installed.

But just got this error window without giving out any causes.

Lots of people are complaining about this problem at technical forum as well.

I have even tried " compatible with windows xp sp2", but don't work too.

Can you tell me the exact error please.

As I said a few posts up, the URL is wrong. I'm waiting for a new URL and we can get you moving.

There was no need for the 2nd paragraph. I appreciate you are annoyed but that doesn't get us anywhere.

Marc, for the internet connection one, are you sayign the one you have given is wrong and you are waiting for a new one, cus i was trying that site for ages.

• SI Staff
Marc, for the internet connection one, are you sayign the one you have given is wrong and you are waiting for a new one, cus i was trying that site for ages.

Yep! That is exactly it.

Can you tell me the exact error please.

Sorry, forget to quote your reply.

My error is getting "football manager 2009 has stopped working" when I tried to launch.

the system is not giving any cause, just doesn't work

9.1.0 patch has been installed already.

• SI Staff
Sorry, forget to quote your reply.

My error is getting "football manager 2009 has stopped working" when I tried to launch.

the system is not giving any cause, just doesn't work

9.1.0 patch has been installed already.

Ok, if this is in the technical forum I'll leave it to those guys.

• SI Staff
Anyone still got the [-703] error? Or anyone who did have it, up and running yet? Should i un-install Steam and do it the UNILOC way?

Can you try now. Seems Uniloc cant see any 703 errors in their logs so I'd like you to try again please.

Marc,

Ive got the DVD version of the game, when installing it asks me where i want to save to, then comes up with the error message "Insert New Media, Incorrect media volume,

Please insert FM2009 or browse to locate it manually" The DVD is still in the drive and ive tried manually browsing to the cd drive with no success. Dud DVD?

Mine was working and then I saved and come out. Tried to relaunch and got fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Decided to remove from steam and install direct onto my pc. Game worked fine, installed patch and now constantly get fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I have repaired .net 2 and have the latest Direct X download installed?

Anyone any ideas?

Archived