Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
I am having the exact same problem as robbyrensenbrink, my code has been checked on the look up, bu it fails at the third time of asking with the phone response keys. what can i do?

I have emails going out now to people to get this fixed!

Oh hang on a sec, I searched again and there is a file called setupapi.app

Is that it?

I believe I could have the same or a related problem since I cant find the "Certificates"-folder either. Out of curiousity, what are you searching for?

819 is fixed in a similar fashion to 821

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

You. Legend

• SI Staff
Hi Marc,

Im sorry if Ive missed it, but I could not find a response to my problem from page 1. I would like to add some information to my issue:

* You seem to refer to some certificate directory that we should remove in case of problems. Im on Vista and I cant find that directory. I can find the "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009" directory, but after installing via Steam I could only find the "Uninstall_Football Manager 2009"-folder and some logfile in that directory (there could have been an dll too, I cant remember). After my attempt to reinstall FM09 using the non-steam option the folder is filled with the usual FM-files but no Certificate-directory.

* When I try to start FM09 after installing using the non-steam option I have to activate the product again, however I cant activate due to the fact that the code is already in use. The interesting thing is that it doesnt connect to internet to determine that, so there must be something on my system that keeps track of that. Do you know what that would be?

I am currently installing FM09 via Steam again but not with the DVDs. Is there a way to uninstall FM09 through Steam properly so that the "activation" gets "recalled"? Is there a way to find out how many activations I have used up?

Thank you for reading this post, I would appreciate it if you could find the time to answer my questions.

Am chasing why some of you can't find this directory. It's important to find and delete.

Hi, i am having the "application was unable to connect to the internet" issue. I understand this problem has already been addressed for most, yet i dont really understand what i am suppose to do to fix it! i am entering my code in correctly and am connected to the internet, i am also a vista user if that has anything to do with troubles i am facing! please help me! been trying 2 play since around 11am yesterday!

i have the same problem as Blades75

(The installation of Football Manager 2009 is finished, but some errors occurred during the install. Please see the installation log for details)

what do i do

i tryed with steam seems ok but will this be a ploblem for steam aswell will the game be half installed or what anyhelp would be greatful

• SI Staff
i have the same problem as Blades75

(The installation of Football Manager 2009 is finished, but some errors occurred during the install. Please see the installation log for details)

what do i do

i tryed with steam seems ok but will this be a ploblem for steam aswell will the game be half installed or what anyhelp would be greatful

Post it here, it'll look something like (or should look like)

Summary

-------

Installation: Successful.

1600 Successes

0 Warnings

0 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Post it here, it'll look something like (or should look like)

Summary

-------

Installation: Successful.

1600 Successes

0 Warnings

0 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

blades75 here

Installation: Successfulwith errors.

1586 Successes

0 Warnings

1 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalError

Hi Marc

Had this game for over 48 hours

Tried every single thing and still get the " no connection " crap everytime.

Ive gone through the process on the phone and after 9 minutes it says my game was activated yet i just ended up having it ask for my CDKEY again.

Is this issue actually being worked on, and i dont mean trial and error quick fixes.

I mean the issue with softanchor getting fixed/patched?

I still have not had my problem helped.

I have to activate through the phone because of no internet connection on my computer in my room (I am currently on laptop). I have 'succesfully' activated the game 4 times over the phone but everytime I try to load the game the softanchor screen comes up again wanting me to activate the game.

I have already tried deleting the certificates then trying again and I have also tried un-installing then doing it again but no luck. Can someone please offer a solution as I am really desperate to play the game.

That is similar to my problem. I eventually enter all 8 codes and the phone message tells me the activation is now complete. Unfortunately the activation code screen just stays there and nothing happens. On closing it down and trying to run the game, it asks me to carry out the activation process again. This is via my laptop which has no internet connection. Will try entering activation letters in capitals now.

PS - I have not seen any help for the people trying to activate via phone connections

I also have my standard PC which has an internet connection. Got the game to load via the uniloc (not the steam function) and internet option. Then received the graphics error message. Downloaed the Direct SRX file (took about 1/2 hour),on trying to run the game, the screen went black andhad flashing white lines with an L printed in the bottom right hand corner.!! Will now try uninstalling the game and install again, to see if this makes any difference since I have now loaded the Direct SRX file

• SI Staff
Hi Marc

Had this game for over 48 hours

Tried every single thing and still get the " no connection " crap everytime.

Ive gone through the process on the phone and after 9 minutes it says my game was activated yet i just ended up having it ask for my CDKEY again.

Is this issue actually being worked on, and i dont mean trial and error quick fixes.

I mean the issue with softanchor getting fixed/patched?

What is your exact eror?

• SI Staff
That is similar to my problem. I eventually enter all 8 codes and the phone message tells me the activation is now complete. Unfortunately the activation code screen just stays there and nothing happens. On closing it down and trying to run the game, it asks me to carry out the activation process again. This is via my laptop which has no internet connection. Will try entering activation letters in capitals now.

PS - I have not seen any help for the people trying to activate via phone connections

I also have my standard PC which has an internet connection. Got the game to load via the uniloc (not the steam function) and internet option. Then received the graphics error message. Downloaed the Direct SRX file (took about 1/2 hour),on trying to run the game, the screen went black andhad flashing white lines with an L printed in the bottom right hand corner.!! Will now try uninstalling the game and install again, to see if this makes any difference since I have now loaded the Direct SRX file

Have you removed your certificates...?

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation program and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

Note: If the above does not fix it – please check the following:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data is not set to read only.

• Also check that C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate are not set to read only!

To check if a file or folder is read only, please right click the folder and select ‘Properties’ from the dropdown, you should the see a box at the bottom called Attributes – please ensure this is unticked or does not have a green square inside.

• Another way it could happen is if there is another instance of FM.exe or Activator.exe holding onto our certificate. In this case - the user should check the process list to see if another instance of FM.exe is open. If so - close it first.

To do this you need to open Task Manager (right click TaskBar, or CTRL+ALT+DEL), sort the Image Name column by clicking on it and identifying if Activator.exe or FM.exe are running. If they are highlight and click ‘End Task’

Am chasing why some of you can't find this directory. It's important to find and delete.

I found something interesting:

C:\ProgramData\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

C:\ProgramData\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

The first folder contains an activation log, the second folder contains an image, a file called with extension .lic and a folder made up of some digits. Is it the second folder I should delete?

• SI Staff
Still waiting for help regards game freezing when i submit team for match and when i look at the information for clubs.

Any help R Any help would be good.

You running the patch v9.1? You got the DirectX SDK? Your graphics card drivers up to date?

• SI Staff
I found something interesting:

C:\ProgramData\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

C:\ProgramData\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

The first folder contains an activation log, the second folder contains an image, a file called with extension .lic and a folder made up of some digits. Is it the second folder I should delete?

yes please.

hi there, i had to join to find out a problem. i noticed on page 1 of this thread someone had the same problem as me and didn't get any answer so i''m hoping to be a bit more lucky with my shout lol

basically my game works fine, nothing wrong on that side. but when i play i get a green rectangle box on the bottom right corner. this covers my continue button and when doing transfers the accept, reject, view negotiation buttons etc. luckily for me the buttons are laid out like in FM 08. but it looks bad and is a pain because a few transfers i cancelled by accident because i cannot see the buttons due to this box. anyone know what i am on about? would appreciate a helping hand please :)

thanks

• SI Staff
any knews marc on phone lines?

As I posted above in the other thread. I've sent the details off to people who can hopefully fix.

I did get this in via email from a fellow fan. Give it a try..

Hi Mark, I may have a solution for some of the people trying to activate there FM2009 over the phone, myself I only have internet access through my mobile phone anyhow this way worked for me, when I checked my code on the back of the manual with your site checker it came back I had typed it correct but came back in lower case so I would type it on my pc in lower case after about 50 time in trying I decided to try the code in capitals and this time over the phone to activate I was successful, maybe tell the people trying to active through the phone to type in capitals it worked for me, hope this helps other people trying to activate FM2009"

• SI Staff
Hi marc please help

Firstly this is a joke

I do not have the net can I still set up and play Fm ??

I have been on the fone for over 8 hours which is a joke every time i get to the 3rd code it says its invalid and yes i have tried to compare it to the site key gen thing help please

"

Hi Mark, I may have a solution for some of the people trying to activate there FM2009 over the phone, myself I only have internet access through my mobile phone anyhow this way worked for me, when I checked my code on the back of the manual with your site checker it came back I had typed it correct but came back in lower case so I would type it on my pc in lower case after about 50 time in trying I decided to try the code in capitals and this time over the phone to activate I was successful, maybe tell the people trying to active through the phone to type in capitals it worked for me, hope this helps other people trying to activate FM2009"

• SI Staff
hi there, i had to join to find out a problem. i noticed on page 1 of this thread someone had the same problem as me and didn't get any answer so i''m hoping to be a bit more lucky with my shout lol

basically my game works fine, nothing wrong on that side. but when i play i get a green rectangle box on the bottom right corner. this covers my continue button and when doing transfers the accept, reject, view negotiation buttons etc. luckily for me the buttons are laid out like in FM 08. but it looks bad and is a pain because a few transfers i cancelled by accident because i cannot see the buttons due to this box. anyone know what i am on about? would appreciate a helping hand please :)

thanks

Using Steam?

• SI Staff
yes marc i am using steam. it opens whenever i play FM09

I installed through Steam and now I get an annoying block of colour on my screen (bottom right hand corner)

Fix: In steam click the icon "settings", click the tab "in game" and untick the "enable steam community" and voila

Archived