Known issues and solutions - FAQ

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

Marc, I cant complete step 2 as Windows cant find the file, any suggestions?

Cheers

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark, can you take a look at this issue?

"When I try to start the game, Soft Anchor says my trial period has ended and asks me for key. I put my key in and the activation goes on fine. When I try to start the game I get the same message on and on and on. Seems like the activation process is bugged, because it wants me to activate every time I try to start. Anyone have any advice for this problem?"

Find a mirror site to download the patch

When you come to download it, save as to your computer (My Documents perhaps)

Once it's finished, go to my Documents and find the file - double click it and run it. It'll then guide you through the patching process.

thanks, and for completeness when you said ensure your graphic drivers are up to date, how do i do that and how do i know if their up to date - not in any way techie proficient....

• SI Staff
Marc please help me i am going mad here. I have tried everything but it is coming up with the can not connect to internet problem. I tried opening that page in IE but came up with no certifcate error message, so installed it manually. Still same error. It has been over 24 hours please help!

Did you try this...

Fix:

1) Open IE and go to: https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com

2) Here if you are using IE7 it will prompt you – “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.”

3) Next, Click – “Continue to this website (not recommended)”. However – this is okay, it is safe.

4) Look up top at your IE address bar – you will see “Certificate Error”. Click this box, then click “View Certificates”.

5) Press, “Install Certificate…”

6) Select the “Place all certificates in the following store”.

7) Press “Browse”

8) Select “Trusted Root Certificate Authorities”. Not this will install the Go Daddy (a reputable) certificate into your trusted root certificate authorities if it is not there.

9) Press OK

10) Press Next

11) Press Finish

Close IE, then Reopen it and to go to https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com. Note: on this visit, you will be allowed without trouble.

From here –

1) Reopen your FM2009 game

2) Enter your key into the Activation Dialog

3) Select the “Online” activation

4) Press Next

You game should activate immediately.

Please note: You will require your system clock to be set correctly, failure to do so will cause an error with HTTPS. Please therefore ensure your system time and date are set correctly.

• SI Staff
that when i ring up i get to the 3rd activation key and then it says i have the wrong code.

has done this 10 times now

Fix: This happens because the original key entered was incorrect and the phone line cannot validate the request. Please recheck the original 26 character key entered, you should validate your key (if possible) via the following URL: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

• SI Staff
I still have the same cannot connect to the internet problem, ive followed the certificate instructions to the cord, i have remove firewalls and such but nothing seems to make a bit of difference. Help would be greatly appreciated, just want to play the game really

See 2 or 3 posts up (my reply to a simialr issue)

Fix: This can be resolved by updating the Microsoft Dot.Net framework, please visit the following URL to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Thanks alot Marc, i've been on and off these forums since 2.00 pm yesterday and have noticed the great effort you are going to in order to help people out (it's saturday night!!). I, like everyone else here, have been playing champ and footy manager since day 0 and have found the last couple of days to be slightly annoying. My computer not only doesnt have the net but its a good 6 or 7 years old so i've come across quite a few problems already! However i genuinley apreciate the yours and some of the other mods help in helping us - i'm sure there are other things you'd rather be doing.

Please post here even if you've posted in another thread and we're yet to help you.

Hi All, I installed the game fine but when I went to play my first match the game aborts and an error report message is displayed! It only happens when the game is loading for the 3d pitch format. I have checked my computer and it is well within the min system requirements. Is there something I need to change before it will let the 3d match engine load?? HELP!

• SI Staff
hey mate can you help me fm09 loads up past the racism screen then crashes with a loading sign with a little L and flashing dots im confused please some1 help

Are you using Steam?

Marc, my game works until i try to play a match and it freezes when i press the start match button is pressed. On the demo this was fixed by putting it into windowed mode but that option is greyed out :s and in the other thread the solutions they gave me weren't even available??

I apprecdiate your busy mate, just hoping for a solution

• SI Staff
Marc, do you have any updates for people who are unable to get the game authenticated by phone, or can't you help on that?

is the problem this issue...

Phone activation fails - Drops out after 3rd key issue

Fix: This happens because the original key entered was incorrect and the phone line cannot validate the request. Please recheck the original 26 character key entered, you should validate your key (if possible) via the following URL: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

hello. I have a spent an entire day trying to make the game play like everybody else.

1.I installed the game

2.I activated my key

3.i run the game but the activation screen reappeared asking for key again, which then recongised as allready used.

4.I uninstalled and reinstalled, activated the key again and same happened.

5.I installed SP3. Run the game and again I was asked to activate, did and get the activation done. I run the game again and the activation screen reappeared asking for activation, and again and again...

6.I installed SDK and then run the game, activation screen appeared and this time i was told the key was allready in use.

7.I deleted folder of certificate as instructed , run the activation succesfully, run the game but activation screen reappeared and my key was allready in use.

8.I have run out of options .

What's Next?

• SI Staff
I bought my football manager 2009 yesterday and it worked out fine, but when I tried to start it this morning i got the following error message (just before the starting menu was reached):

"XML Parsing error

not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml"

I haven't edited or added anything to the game nor have I run any other patches than the 9.1.0 that came with the game. I have reinstalled the game two times without improvement.

What to do?

What is the name of your last save game?

• SI Staff
Marc I did follow but when i log it DOES NOT come up “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.” So i installed the cert by myself. Still not working :( sorry to be pain in the ass mate, but im getting very grumpy

Am double checking for you....

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Thanks I love you lol

• SI Staff
hello. I have a spent an entire day trying to make the game play like everybody else.

1.I installed the game

2.I activated my key

3.i run the game but the activation screen reappeared asking for key again, which then recongised as allready used.

4.I uninstalled and reinstalled, activated the key again and same happened.

5.I installed SP3. Run the game and again I was asked to activate, did and get the activation done. I run the game again and the activation screen reappeared asking for activation, and again and again...

6.I installed SDK and then run the game, activation screen appeared and this time i was told the key was allready in use.

7.I deleted folder of certificate as instructed , run the activation succesfully, run the game but activation screen reappeared and my key was allready in use.

8.I have run out of options .

What's Next?

What is your exact error message please.

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

You probably need to turn on "Show hidden files"

No matches, what is the exact name of the file, because there is a binful when I search FM09?

Thanks again

Hi, I authenticated FM last night, played the game for a while. Turned it off to go to sleep.

This morning, Softanchor asked for the code again. And brought up the Error 821 stating that i need to get a new code from the sigames website. I have tried deleting the contents of the \certificate directory but still no success.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, been trying to get this working for over 24 hours!

• SI Staff
Hi, I authenticated FM last night, played the game for a while. Turned it off to go to sleep.

This morning, Softanchor asked for the code again. And brought up the Error 821 stating that i need to get a new code from the sigames website. I have tried deleting the contents of the \certificate directory but still no success.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, been trying to get this working for over 24 hours!

I can help!

Scenario: Install and activate with activation code on Steam and it works then launch the game, SoftAnchor asking to re-enter activation code.

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

• SI Staff
Marc, my game works until i try to play a match and it freezes when i press the start match button is pressed. On the demo this was fixed by putting it into windowed mode but that option is greyed out :s and in the other thread the solutions they gave me weren't even available??

I apprecdiate your busy mate, just hoping for a solution

Some guesses...

You have minimum spec monitor resolution, so can't go into windowed mode or a graphics card that is way, way, way below min spec

Maybe you can force it into window mode via a command prompt?

Hi, Ive installed a boxed version of fm 09 on my vista laptop, it installed fine, but when i try and open editor a message comes up, which is....

c:\users\christopher\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\gameexplorer\{BE416EA4-4...\rundataeditor.lnk

The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

I then installed the patch and this message still comes up.

I bought this game yesterday morning and im still trying to get the game working. What was wrong with just putting the disk in and install? Why over complicate things? I paid £30 for this game and wasted about 16 solid hours tryin to get play it. (trying hard not to swear here). I think you have failed us all. Obviously its not just happening to me its happening to 1000s world wide so i hope your proud of yourselves. I will be getting a refund tomorrow as this is all b****cks.

is the problem this issue...

Phone activation fails - Drops out after 3rd key issue

I've just done that for the 3rd or 4th time, and it still says it's invalid, this time on the 2nd number.

I tried install the game using steam but when I tried to launch the game it kept on saying that it was unable to connect to the internet and that my free trial had ended despite the fact I was already on the internet and had just bought the game that day. I then tried uninstall everything and start again, by using the phone method, but I only succeded in removing steam and now when I insert the disk nothing happens

• SI Staff
i am still unable to get this working, i still get the installation of fM 09 certificate could not be activated for the following reason: the appliaction was unable to connect to internet

Can you point me to your original post?

• SI Staff
Hi, Ive installed a boxed version of fm 09 on my vista laptop, it installed fine, but when i try and open editor a message comes up, which is....

c:\users\christopher\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\gameexplorer\{BE416EA4-4...\rundataeditor.lnk

The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

Are you on Vista 64bit?

• SI Staff

To rule some things out can you download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Archived