Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• SI Staff
Sorry to be an impatient so and so, but any idea's on post 2324

Both your graphics controller, and amount of memory in your machine, are well below minimum spec. It's possible that you might get the game running, very slowly, by following the information in the first post in this thread for people who get the "cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system" error message, but I don't hold out much hope!

Let us know how you get on...

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi game would work pre patch but since i have downloaded it for mac the game crashes during the intro pictures, the problem report is below:

Date/Time: 2008-11-21 18:15:35.008 +0000

OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)

Report Version: 4

Command: fm

Path: /Applications/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/fm.app/Contents/MacOS/fm

Parent: WindowServer [72]

Version: 9 . 1 (9 . 1 . 0 f 26708)

PID: 948

Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _chmod$UNIX2003

Referenced from: /Applications/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/fm.app/Contents/MacOS/fm

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Model: MacBook2,1, BootROM MB21.00A5.B07, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 1 GB

Graphics: Intel GMA 950, GMA 950, Built-In, spdisplays_integrated_vram

Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 512 MB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz

Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM1, 512 MB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz

AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x87), 1.4.4

Bluetooth: Version 1.9.5f4, 2 service, 1 devices, 1 incoming serial ports

Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1

Serial ATA Device: FUJITSU MHW2080BHPL, 74.53 GB

Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8221, 2.1 GB

USB Device: Built-in iSight, Micron, Up to 480 Mb/sec, 500 mA

USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, Apple Computer, Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA

USB Device: IR Receiver, Apple Computer, Inc., Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA

USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, Apple, Inc., Up to 12 Mb/sec, 500 mA

any help with this would be amazing

thanks

• SI Staff
I have a Mac iBook G4 and have installed the game. The installation seems to have worked perfectly however when i click on the start-up icon and the game launches all i get is a grey screen.

I am yet to see anything even close to the main menu as i can't get past this grey screen.

Any ideas?

The minimum specs on the back of the box and as announced on these forums and the various FM websites specify that the game will run on Intel Mac's only.

Therefore I doubt you'll be able to get it up and running on that machine, which unless I'm mistaken, is a Power PC and not an Intel Mac.

Purchased a boxed copy of the game today. Activated via STEAM, no problems there. Tried to launch the game via STEAM and I encounter the problem below.

Window pops up saying 'launching via STEAM...'

That disappears then another window pops up with the following message 'Football Manager 2009 has stopped working'

'A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.'

Searches. No Fix. Close window.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm using Windows Vista aswell.

Thanks

• SI Staff
Hi game would work pre patch but since i have downloaded it for mac the game crashes during the intro pictures, the problem report is below:

Date/Time: 2008-11-21 18:15:35.008 +0000

OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)

Report Version: 4

Jonathan - your OS is below minimum spec, but we have (dispite Tiger being unsupported) managed to get it working, and you should go to this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=69146 for more information.

Sorry to be an impatient so and so, but any idea's on post 2324

No need to apologise bigal81.

I do not have all the answers (if any) you are looking for, and I would wait a little longer until Neil or somebody as knowledgable becomes available to give you a more definitive (if any such thing exists) diagnosis of your issue.

You are correct in your deduction that the 'Intel® 82810E Graphics Controller' would be your graphics chipset. Unfortunately, I believe that it is well below the minimum requirements.

However, the v9.1 patch did increase the compatibility pool to help enable players with even below minimum specs to be able to at least play the game as you would normally, but without a 3D camera view enabled when on the match screen and without anywhere near optimal performance. But, unfortunately, it seems that the patch was unable to get you up and running.

Additionally, it is important to note that it is well known that the Intel graphics chipsets have been giving us numerous problems - some of these compatibility issues were rectified with the v9.1 patch, but clearly not all. However, rest assured, a lot of investigating and work is currently being done behind the scenes to try decrease compatibility issues further.

As for your 256MB of RAM, I cannot say it's the problem, or even directly contributes to it, but it definitely doesn't help alleviate your graphics card's shortcomings.

yo when i launch the game i get a msg from vista saying a program has caused the program to stop working correcty

Any help

Cheers

Mort

I'm having the same problem. See my post earlier in this thread. It's also on this page.

Hopefully someone can help as I really want to play this game. I purchased FM 2008, but as my PC wasn't upto scratch, I couldn't play it, so had to sell my copy and miss out. I've since upgraded, purchase FM 2009, installed without difficulty, but I can't get the game to run.

"ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website"

I have Tried all that are stated above, but i am still getting the same problem...

I have a problem that I dont think Ive seen on here.

Everything installed fine and in the main I can play the game no problem. I just have 2 problems.

1st one, I cannot get the 3d game to work, I dont get any error messages or anything. Just in TV mode, the icon is inactive and doesnt let me click on it. Not a major problem as I dont think Id use it a great deal.

2nd one, I cannot get the editor to work. Everytime I click on it it comes up with the following message. "The application has failed to start because of its side by side configuration. Please see the application event log for more detail"

Im relatively PC literate but cant work this one out, ive gone through the event log etc....

Your help would be kindly appreciated.

Regards

When I try to launch the game I get a Steam - Error pop-up box which states "Failed to contact key server".

I am now getting seriously hacked-off! All I want to do is play the game that I have purchased! Can somebody please tell me how to run the game without going through Steam?

I downloaded the Direct X SDK thing, saved it, then run it. Next thing I the thing didn't work, and these messages appear:

'There is a problem preventing your installation from continuing. Please take the action required and try setup again.

'Setup has not completed. In order to use the Microsoft Direct X SDK (November 2008) you must reinstall later.'

'Error code: S1010'

What is error S1010? What to do now? H E L P

Hello:

got a bit of a problem here. I've installed the game and inserted the product key and all that and activated the game. However, when I cannot play the actual game as none of the player's pictures are loaded and I cannot watch games in 3D: everything else seems to work. I've checked the preferences and everything is fine. It's just as though I was playing the demo. I've tried downloading the torrent patch, but my computer does not recognise it. What do I do? (this is just like the problem on post 2363) I have also tried downloading the patches from all of the websites but I get a message at the end saying that the program could not be verified and then it closes.

My computer will not read my DVD disc

You can download the game in Steam without using the disc using the game code you have from your purchased game.

Download Steam from here - http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Install Steam on your computer

Once installed, open up Steam

Go to My Games

Go to Activate a product on Steam

Enter your Activation Code found on the back of the manual. (Use http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ to see you got all the 0's and o's right)

Steam should now download your game.

i have exactly the same problem with the disc not reading on my PC despite having a DVD drive and playing many DVD games, but why should i download from steam, i dont want to wait a few hours while it downloads 2gb of data. is there no other solution? :mad:

Hey guys.

I've been trying to install fm 09 for days now and getting nowhere,

this time done it through steam. launched properly ect,but unfortunatley, fm 09 is not saved under any file in computer/documents on highlighting sport interactive it says 0bytes is this normal?

2nd is when i launch game through steam it works fine and normally until i get to nation and league selections then just crashes.

can u give me some input thanks??

None of these answers help me... I have had the game for a week now and I've only been able to play for 2 times!! First, I installed the game using Steam, but this didn't work properly, so I uninstalled the game and Steam, then reinstalled the game again, using the other option.

Now the error I constantly get is: 'could not use database location 'c/progamfiles/steam/steamapps/common/footballmanager2009/data/updates/update9-10/db/910 - reverting to the default location'

I realise that this is a result of uninstalling Steam but what's the solution? I've un- and reinstalled the game 3 times, but nothing seems to work!

Hey guys.

I've been trying to install fm 09 for days now and getting nowhere,

this time done it through steam. launched properly ect,but unfortunatley, fm 09 is not saved under any file in computer/documents on highlighting sport interactive it says 0bytes is this normal?

2nd is when i launch game through steam it works fine and normally until i get to nation and league selections then just crashes.

can u give me some input thanks??

All I know is that fm 09 is saved under C:/Program Files/Steam/.... I think steamapps but I'm not sure..Anyway, is somewhere in there.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I brought the game a few days ago and it still doesn't work. I tried to load and reload it but still nothing. When I try to load the game my screen goes blue and my computer crashes. It says its dumping Physical memory to disk.

XML Parsing error

I know a little bit about computers but not a lot. I've also checked my anti-virus for bugs but still nothing.

My OS is Windows Vista and my system meets all the requirements to play the game.

Any help is welcome,

Hello

Can some body from SI please respond to my issue. I have had a personal message from neil dejyothin about him having a look at my computer through remote assistance. My Problem is:

When I load the demo after downloading the direct x thing from microsoft( link posted earlier), the game loads(slowly) and then where it usually loads in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, all that comes up is the first letter of the word "LOADING", "L". This is above the usuall ticker that goes round but this just flickers.

Note this is a problem on my fm 09 demo as I do not have the proper game yet

Jack

Installed it, activated online by softanchor, played it without errors. Closed the game.

Next day launched the game and it asked again for softanchor activation, I WROTE THE KEY AGAIN...and a message key already blocked goto sigames and buy another key??? I tried the activator from sigames it doesn´t reply any error, indeed it states that the activation is complete, I try runing it again and the softanchor online activation reappears. What´s wrong?

Regards

Guest Motherwell_Fan

When installing I get this message:

The installation of Football Manager 2009 is finished, but some errors occurred during the install. Please see the installation log for details

In the installation log, I have this:

1587 Successes

0 Warnings

1 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException AddGameExplorerTasks() failed: Failed to retrieve GUID for application

Hi guys, i have an Intel based mac with OS 10.4.11, i downloaded the new mac patch for tiger but im still having problems! The game keeps crashing on me while im playing and it says "Football manager quit unexpectedly". After this i tried uninstalling the game and also deleting all the football manager 2009 files but i've still had no luck, after installing the game again and also the patch, the game still crashes on me while playing and says "Football manager quit unexpectedly". Any help will be much appreciated thx.

• Administrators
I'm still having an XML error. I tried downloading the new XML thing from Microsoft and then ran it again and it still didn't work. Any help would be great

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

• Administrators
I am playing on a pc laptop with a vista OS. I am playing through Steam. The game freezes when I get to play the first match. The preferences do not permit me to select windows mode. I need help so I can actually play the game.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64783

• Administrators
When installing I get this message:

In the installation log, I have this:

Try a clean re-install, for this delete your cache and registry files and move the entire game via the add/remove programs found in the control panel:

How to delete your Cache files

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Remove the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

How to Delete your Registry Files

Windows XP:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click "Run"

3. Type in "Regedit"

4. Go into the HKEY_CURRENT_USER Folder

5. Go into the 'Software Folder'

6. Delete the Sports Interactive Folder

7. Go into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Folder

8. Go into the 'Software Folder'

9. Delete the Sports Interactive Ltd Folder

Windows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Type in the search box "Regedit"

3. Go into the HKEY_CURRENT_USER Folder

4. Go into the 'Software Folder'

5. Delete the Sports Interactive Folder

6. Go into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Folder

7. Go into the 'Software Folder'

8. Delete the Sports Interactive Ltd Folder

If this still fails to install properly, I suggest downloading the game via Steam:

Download Steam from here - http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Install Steam on your computer

Once installed, open up Steam

Go to My Games

Go to Activate a product on Steam

Enter your Activation Code found on the back of the manual. (Use http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ to see you got all the 0's and o's right)

Steam should now download your game.

Let me know how you get on. Thanks.

• Administrators
Installed it, activated online by softanchor, played it without errors. Closed the game.

Next day launched the game and it asked again for softanchor activation, I WROTE THE KEY AGAIN...and a message key already blocked goto sigames and buy another key??? I tried the activator from sigames it doesn´t reply any error, indeed it states that the activation is complete, I try runing it again and the softanchor online activation reappears. What´s wrong?

Regards

It sounds like you need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

• Administrators
My partner has been trying to load this for days now.

He keeps getting this message:

not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of temporary_folder_in_user_data_folder.xml

We're on Vista. Any ideas?

• In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

XML Parsing Errors

When suffering from XML errors we advise downloading a newer version of XML Parser from Microsoft, this can be done so from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Let me know how your partner gets on. Thanks.

• Administrators
None of these answers help me... I have had the game for a week now and I've only been able to play for 2 times!! First, I installed the game using Steam, but this didn't work properly, so I uninstalled the game and Steam, then reinstalled the game again, using the other option.

Now the error I constantly get is: 'could not use database location 'c/progamfiles/steam/steamapps/common/footballmanager2009/data/updates/update9-10/db/910 - reverting to the default location'

I realise that this is a result of uninstalling Steam but what's the solution? I've un- and reinstalled the game 3 times, but nothing seems to work!

Have you used the data editor at all? What I would suggest to you is uninstalling both Steam and FM2009, then going to the Steam folder found in your program files and manually removing that as well. Once that is completely done, try reinstalling the game.

Let me know how you get on.

• Administrators
PLEASE HELP!!!!

I brought the game a few days ago and it still doesn't work. I tried to load and reload it but still nothing. When I try to load the game my screen goes blue and my computer crashes. It says its dumping Physical memory to disk.

XML Parsing error

I know a little bit about computers but not a lot. I've also checked my anti-virus for bugs but still nothing.

My OS is Windows Vista and my system meets all the requirements to play the game.

Any help is welcome,

This sounds like a System Error, I would suggest doing the following:

XML Parsing Errors

When suffering from XML errors we advise downloading a newer version of XML Parser from Microsoft, this can be done so from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

I would also suggest running the tests found here on your system:

http://www.sigames.com/sibase.php?type=view&id=142

I've glanced through this list of problems and it seems there is a pretty consistent theme. Loads of people who are finding the game is freezing when they try to start the first match. Ive had this problem daily and usually just restart (sometimes a couple of times) until it works.

My lap top is top of the range and brand new (with all the add ons) Dell XPS .. so dont gimme this jargon about graphics cards not being up to scratch etc etc. This is a bug - and starting in windowed mode is not an acceptable solution as it takes away from the playability of the game. I wanna see full screen thats what I paid for - and dont even start with the play in 2D mode cause thats not whats advertised on the front of the game which you are selling. We are all consumers of this game and this is not an acceptable solution.

Come on SI Games lets get a patch out for this one and fix what looks like some shoddy programming!

• Administrators

You need to provide us with a bit more information before we'll be able to diagnose the exact problem you are encounting. First of all if you haven't already via Steam or another source, I would download the 9.1.0 patch which can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961

Then I would also download the following:

ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

When downloading this file please use the Firefox browser as some people have encounter difficulties when using Internet Explorer

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Also if you are running Steam, make sure this is not running when attempting to install

If this does not help, please let us know your system specs - essentially your graphics card, processor and memory, this can be found by checking your dxdiag :

How to get your Dxdiag information

Windows XP

1. Click on “Start”

2. Click on “Run”

3. In the text prompt box that appears type “dxdiag” and click ok.

4. Once the dxdiag program has finished scanning your machine click “Save All Information” save this to a place you will remember.

5. Copy and past these as/where needed.

Wndows Vista

1. Click on “Start”

2. Click inside the search box

3. In the search box type “dxdiag” and click ok.

4. Once the dxdiag program has finished scanning your machine click “Save All Information” save this to a place you will remember.

5. Copy and past these as/where needed.

Let me know, thanks.

Hi

When ever i try playin footy man it freezes and the ball moves but it doesnt let me do anything, why is this happening and what can i do to resolve?

thanks in advancae

• Administrators
"ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system
hi guys, u helped me out earlier and have updated with the right patch, now though when i click to run fm09 it says, cannot run game, failed to set up grahphics system

heeeeeelllllllpppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For both of you I need to know your current Graphics Card to see if it is supported by our game. If you could let us know we'll be able to figure out whether there is anything we can do to help. Thanks.

Hello. I was one of those with an error -51 message. I downloaded the fix zip, unzipped, activated the vbs file, entered the code, waited, got the activation successful message and tried to run the game. At this point Steam launched and took me to the online activation screen, which unsurprisingly told me that I had already activated the code. And the game didn't launch. Help appreciated!

Could you answer this question please nbrocky or anyone? :)

I've just started to use this area of the forum again so forgive me if this sound stupid: How come theres a patch out already? & When is the next patch coming out? Because I've seen alot of bugs on the bugs forum.

Thanks

• Administrators
Any idea on crash dumps?

Please,this just started again.I've played 1 and a half season in the game already.Why has this started happening ?

What is the date of your crash - is it always the same? Is there anything in particular you are doing when it crashes? Let me know. Thanks.

Archived