Ryan Sessegnon

Ryan Sessegnon.

Now i've started up a new save with Fulham about 3 times since getting the game when it came out, i've played nearly a full season the last two times but this i want to carry on long term. Seems i can't get Sessegnon to improve much if any at all, I get my assistant manager or most gifted coach to take training. On the last two saves he had a decent match rating 7.0 - 7.2 which is very good but even then he never improved, he also had a fair few assists and goals. On my current one he's not having the best of seasons, but his training ratings are good no less than 7.5 and still he makes no progress. I looked through all my other players and they are improving. He plays every game and has not had an injury this season if he did it was only for a couple of days. His potential has even declined. 

Below i've put up picture his growth from the start of the season to the current date, plus the most recent training report on him. ( i have the in-game editor but never use it )

ryan sess 1.png

sess 2.png

sess tr.png

He has a variable PA, looking at it from googling quickly, so in this case, he's could be close to his PA. If that's not the case (and even if it is), it's only been 6 months. That's not very long and he's only 18.

I haven't had too many long term saves in FM19 as I'm waiting till the new patch. But I know Sessegnon has a minus potential, meaning his actual potential will be in a range so it will be different in every game. It could be that in your games you got unlucky and he was set with a PA at the lower end of the spectrum. If you want to check this you said you have the in game editor you could probably check what his CA/PA are at the minute if he is with in 5 points of his maximum PA then don't expect massive improvements to be made fast. It is also a very small time window you have posted so could be he just hasn't had the time to improve.

Thanks for the replies, maybe it was too soon to be worrying about it as he is still only 18, I didn't really want to check his potential because it didn't want to spoil it ha ha.

i'll give an update on his progress later today, i should be on start of the next season by then. will post his progress. another thing i've played him in the same position every game AML support. I also let him take a couple of penalties which he scored to try improve his Match rating. which i see has improved by 3 since the start of the season. 

Hi mate,

I had the exact same scenario when I signed him in a previous save. He saw little to no progression until he hit around 21, then bloomed. 

FM gives players certain time frames where they go through "spurts", maybe Ryan's is just a little later than most. Still turned out class for me eventually :thup:

@Mardy Hey mate

Thanks for the message, nearly finished my season, only 3 games left plus a FA cup final but that's against Liverpool so won't have my hopes up ha.

I see what you mean, he hasn't improved since the pictures i put up of his progress yesterday, he went up 0.2 on leadership that's about it, But hopefully it's the same on this one as it is on the last one, Tbh i didn't have a problem with him on the last one he was growing quite rapid for me. 

UPDATE. From Start of the season to end of the season. 

Over the course of the season he's actually declined on quite a few stats. i will place the attributes below

Declined Stats.

• Acceleration 15.0 - 14.8
  • Balance 13.0 - 12.8
  • Composure 14.0 - 13.8
  • Concentration 12.0 - 11.8
  • Corners 7.0 - 6.8
  • Dribbling 11.2 - 11.0
  • Jumping Reach 8.0 - 7.8
  • Off The Ball 15.2 - 15.0
  • Pace 15.0 - 14.8
  • Positioning 9.0 - 8.8
  • Tackling 9.0 = 8.8
  • Team Work 14.0 - 13.8
  • Vision 14.0 - 13.8

Improved Stats

• Determination 13.0 + 14.0
  • Leadership 7.2 + 7.6
  • Marking 9.0 + 9.2
  • Penalty Taking 6.0 + 8.8
  • Strength 8.2 + 8.8
  • Work Rate 12 + 13.8

ryan sess 1.png

Sess end of season.png

Could it be that you're overplaying him? I've had players who improved more when played not that many matches, but performed well. Using them as subtitue late in the game when they are facing tired defenders could also be useful. I've had this problem with a few Saints players. What mentoring group is Sessegnon in btw and what unit?

@BarrsFFC I'd say his first season number of matches are more optimal than the 2nd season numbers. But overplaying is just the smaller problem. He has balanced personality that I would advise to change. His mentoring group won't help with that as it is. You need team leaders/influentals with better personalities. You could tinker with his ind. training, 6 months on defensive winger might help. I loved using that, had similar problems with Matt Targett, so keep us updated.

@robot_skeleton Notes taken mate.

So mentor him with leaders and stuff, how long on average does it take for a personality to change? or does that also depend on what personality they are? It's frustrating because i want him to be the main player and end up building the whole team around him. i'll set up a new mentor group and post a picture so you can see what you think. I was going to buy Matt Targett, We had him on loan last season done very well for us. 

@BarrsFFC Yeah, it's important to have players who are as influental/more influental compared to him in the mentor group, plus play in similar position/have greater or similar ability. Your issue right now as I see it is that Sessegnon is already a fairly good player especially compared to the rest of the squad and when you try to mentor him he simply won't learn (PPMs at the most) because the other players in the group have balanced personality as well and are mostly less influental than him or worse players. Obviously better training grounds help in developing him, so don't forget to improve the club in that regard. Usually personality changes are slow, take more than a year, but it depends on a lot of things that we can only guess (SI doesn't tell it, and will probably remain that way). I had players (Josh Sims) who remained on balanced personality even after 3 years and others who changed fairly easily.

@BarrsFFC  You haven't said how you're training him?

Personally this is what I'd do:

- Put him in a Mentoring group with other influential players.

- Have your Assistant Manager set up General Training in the Staff > Responsibilities tab (or take control yourself).

- Give him individual role training (make sure you are set to do this in Staff > Responsibilities) for which ever role/set of attributes you want him to develop.

- Make sure he gets plenty of first team action.

- Improve your coaching staff and training facilities when you can.

I'd hope to see some improvement sooner rather than later, however it is possible he'll develop in fits and starts.  Development isn't linear so there can be peaks and troughs.

In terms of his PA, whilst it's true Sessegnon does have a negative variable PA (meaning he'll start each save with a different actual PA within a certain range) and (worst case) his actual PA could be near to his CA when you start a save, I wouldn't expect that in this instance.  That's because his coach reports say he has plenty of potential for growth and could still improve.

@herne79 I've put him in the mentoring group with the most highly influential players i have, only just this start of the season though, so i will wait to see if it make a difference.

Already set up my assistant manager / Coach to control training. i done this soon as i started the game. For individual training i also let my Assistant take charge of that, but i do sometimes take control myself, with Sessegnon i've done it a few times, I have a question about the crossing, There doesn't seem to be a focus for crossing? or is there and i am not seeing it. 

He played every game for me last season, he might of missed one league game that's it. he also only had 1 injury all season which was 8 days.

I'll place a picture of the training and coaches below. Training facilities are excellent, but i am upgrading them.  

coaches.png

sess ind train.png

51 minutes ago, BarrsFFC said:

Already set up my assistant manager / Coach to control training. i done this soon as i started the game. For individual training i also let my Assistant take charge of that, but i do sometimes take control myself, with Sessegnon i've done it a few times, I have a question about the crossing, There doesn't seem to be a focus for crossing? or is there and i am not seeing it. 

It's fine to let your AM control General Training, but I wouldn't let him anywhere near Individual Training.  That's because the AM is actually quite good at setting up a varied training schedule based on your style of play with adequate rest days and so on, but the AM has no idea how you'd like your players to evolve individually.  So your AM may think he'll develop Sessegnon as a Fullback when you actually want him focussed on developing as an Inside Forward (for example).

Crossing is no longer available as an individual Focus for training as it's not something you do in isolation, so it's now wrapped up in General Training and role development.

23 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Crossing is no longer available as an individual Focus for training as it's not something you do in isolation, so it's now wrapped up in General Training and role development.

would of been nice if it was included in one of the other categories, could make a good argument towards it being a crucial part of the final third play

not a problem to schedule an attacking wings once a week, just seems odd to make everyone train for a couple of players

• 1 month later...
On 30/03/2019 at 19:50, Johnleegriffin said:

Has anybody tried to retrain him as an inside forward on the right,  does he ever get above accomplished? 

I always consider this. He would eventually but can’t say I’ve ever tried it. Think that would be his best position 

Archived