New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

4 hours ago, WKTHFC said:

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.  Benchmark scores for the CPU are decent, but it is below the clock speed recommended by SI (although I don't imagine it will have any issue running the game).  3D match engine perforrmance will be quite poor, as the Intel HD integrated graphics are frankly rubbish.

Any reason you're looking at an all-in-one?  To me, they seem to be the worst of both worlds - laptop performance with desktop portability! 

You could get a decent desktop PC and monitor and probably still have change left over compared to the cost of this.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, kevhamster said:

8 hours ago, kevhamster said:

The graphics will be better on that as it has a dedicated graphics card, albeit not a very strong one.

CPU wise, it's not fantastic and it's below the clock speed stated by SI as the requirement although I imagine it will still run the game.  For a 10th Gen i7 though, its benchmark scores are quite poor.  What's your budget?  I'll see what I can find that may be OK for you - also, let me know what other games you'd be wanting to play (if any) because that will impact what sort of specs you need.

Thanks kevhamster

my budget is around £1k.

ideally I wanted a touchscreen laptop which is around 14 inch. From what I’ve seen so far though there isn’t much choice out there.

i don’t play many other games apart from company of heroes every now and again

Edited by FLHC2k18

44 minutes ago, FLHC2k18 said:

Thanks kevhamster

my budget is around £1k.

ideally I wanted a touchscreen laptop which is around 14 inch. From what I’ve seen so far though there isn’t much choice out there.

i don’t play many other games apart from company of heroes every now and again

This is the best all rounder I can find for under £1k.

https://www.box.co.uk/UM462DA-AI017T-ASUS-ZenBook-Flip-14-UM462DA-AI017T_2954906.html

Seems you pay quite the premium for the touchscreen feature, as you can get a much more powerful non-touchscreen laptop for the same price, so unless you see the touchscreen element as being vital to your experience I would recommend considering laptops without it. 

16 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

This is the best all rounder I can find for under £1k.

https://www.box.co.uk/UM462DA-AI017T-ASUS-ZenBook-Flip-14-UM462DA-AI017T_2954906.html

Seems you pay quite the premium for the touchscreen feature, as you can get a much more powerful non-touchscreen laptop for the same price, so unless you see the touchscreen element as being vital to your experience I would recommend considering laptops without it. 

Thanks kevhamster

im coming to realise touchscreen may not be the best option.

in terms of that spec laptop - I have ready previously that integrated graphics don’t work as well as dedicated graphics. Is the one you suggested more powerful than the GeForce MX350?

16 minutes ago, FLHC2k18 said:

Thanks kevhamster

im coming to realise touchscreen may not be the best option.

in terms of that spec laptop - I have ready previously that integrated graphics don’t work as well as dedicated graphics. Is the one you suggested more powerful than the GeForce MX350?

Sorry..... Good point, because I did that first thing I'd forgotten the one you listed had the mx350, I was mixed up with the other late post I made last night with the Intel integrated graphics. 

The Ryzen integrated graphics is good as far as integrated graphics go, but dedicated grahpics cards will always be better.  

If you're happy to consider non-touchscreen either Smurf or I could recommend you something really good for that kind of money. 

Edited by kevhamster

7 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Sorry..... Good point, because I did that first thing I'd forgotten the one you listed had the mx350, I was mixed up with the other late post I made last night with the Intel integrated graphics. 

The Ryzen integrated graphics is good as far as integrated graphics go, but dedicated grahpics cards will always be better.  

If you're happy to consider non-touchscreen either Smurf or I could recommend you something really good for that kind of money. 

Yeah I’m happy to consider non touchscreen. Any suggestions welcome and I can look in to them.

I would prefer to have something small, so not a traditional looking gaming laptop. So whatever you think is best then fire away

Cheers

Can someone clarify this? I'm looking for a decent laptop to play FM on, however I've experienced in the past that it often gets hot when playing longer sessions and produces a lot of fan noise. I want to know if this is due the GPU. I know what to buy but looking for a good laptop thats quiet and doesn't get very hot is just hit and miss. 

24 minutes ago, Sanel said:

Can someone clarify this? I'm looking for a decent laptop to play FM on, however I've experienced in the past that it often gets hot when playing longer sessions and produces a lot of fan noise. I want to know if this is due the GPU. I know what to buy but looking for a good laptop thats quiet and doesn't get very hot is just hit and miss. 

Fan noise will ultimately be down to heat, as the fans are working harder to keep the components cool.

The reason for the heat could be all manner of things, from there being a load of dust inside the machine, having components which tend to run hot anyway, or poor chassis design leaving insufficient airflow.  There's a multitude of other reasons it could be as well.

10 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.  Benchmark scores for the CPU are decent, but it is below the clock speed recommended by SI (although I don't imagine it will have any issue running the game).  3D match engine perforrmance will be quite poor, as the Intel HD integrated graphics are frankly rubbish.

Any reason you're looking at an all-in-one?  To me, they seem to be the worst of both worlds - laptop performance with desktop portability! 

You could get a decent desktop PC and monitor and probably still have change left over compared to the cost of this.

Thanks what would you reccomend in that price range. I dont realy want a laptop.

1 hour ago, FLHC2k18 said:

Yeah I’m happy to consider non touchscreen. Any suggestions welcome and I can look in to them.

I would prefer to have something small, so not a traditional looking gaming laptop. So whatever you think is best then fire away

Cheers

Finding something with the more compact design as it turns out is quite difficult!

However, within the budget, this one is pretty decent:  https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-zenbook-14-um433iq-a5037t-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-grey-10208140-pdt.html

I will be honest though, it is quite a close run thing between this and the touchscreen one you listed - that one has a slightly better single core rating based on the benchmarks here (which is the single biggest factor for FM), however the Ryzen processor in this one scores higher overall: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10510U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-4700U/m891469vsm1105478

So, given you wanted touchscreen ideally, that one you listed may well be the way to go now I've seen what it around in the 14" bracket.

27 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Fan noise will ultimately be down to heat, as the fans are working harder to keep the components cool.

The reason for the heat could be all manner of things, from there being a load of dust inside the machine, having components which tend to run hot anyway, or poor chassis design leaving insufficient airflow.  There's a multitude of other reasons it could be as well.

I understand, but I have the feeling that laptops with dedicated GPUs produce more heat in general. Therefore I would like to know if this is true and if a GPU is necessary. I know SI changed the way rendering works in the game and it has something to do with the GPU.

9 minutes ago, Sanel said:

I understand, but I have the feeling that laptops with dedicated GPUs produce more heat in general. Therefore I would like to know if this is true and if a GPU is necessary. I know SI changed the way rendering works in the game and it has something to do with the GPU.

If FM is the only game you play, then you could get by with one of the AMD Ryzen based laptops - the integrated graphics are strong enough to play 3D at mostly high settings.

18 minutes ago, WKTHFC said:

Thanks what would you reccomend in that price range. I dont realy want a laptop.

Desktop: https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Infinity-X66-Elite-Gaming-PC (I'd recommend customising to get 16GB RAM at £30 extra).

Monitor: https://www.box.co.uk/Samsung-LS24D332HSOEN-24-Full-HD-TN-75_2932337.html

23 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Finding something with the more compact design as it turns out is quite difficult!

However, within the budget, this one is pretty decent:  https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-zenbook-14-um433iq-a5037t-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-grey-10208140-pdt.html

I will be honest though, it is quite a close run thing between this and the touchscreen one you listed - that one has a slightly better single core rating based on the benchmarks here (which is the single biggest factor for FM), however the Ryzen processor in this one scores higher overall: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10510U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-4700U/m891469vsm1105478

So, given you wanted touchscreen ideally, that one you listed may well be the way to go now I've seen what it around in the 14" bracket.

What about this one?

£100 off when added to the cart so comes in at £999

https://store.acer.com/en-gb/acer-swift-5-ultra-thin-touchscreen-laptop-sf514-54gt-blue-1

14 minutes ago, FLHC2k18 said:

What about this one?

£100 off when added to the cart so comes in at £999

https://store.acer.com/en-gb/acer-swift-5-ultra-thin-touchscreen-laptop-sf514-54gt-blue-1

I wouldn't recommend that one over the first one you linked.  Lower clock speed.  Benchmarks suggest slightly stronger overall CPU, but it's quite marginal and given the clock speed difference I couldn't in good conscience recommend this given the £200 price difference.

Good morning guys,

Will the 1st link be suitable for fast FM gaming, with 3D game play. Will also use the laptop for general browsing and Netflix. Obviously the 2nd one is better but is the price difference justified and is it too much for my needs?

Cheers in advance!

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-43-15-6-amd-ryzen-7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-black-10193895-pdt.html 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-cw1598sa-15-6-amd-ryzen-7-laptop-512-gb-ssd-silver-10193332-pdt.html

Hello, 

im looking to purchase a new laptop to run FM21 and I came across the following. Would this be suitable for running the game with quite a few leagues and the 3D match engine ? I’ll post the specs below.

Model
Lenovo Y50-70
Hard Drive Capacity
1 TB
Maximum Resolution
1920 x 1080
MPN
Y50-70
Colour
Black
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce 860m GTX
Operating System
Windows 10
Graphics Processing Type
Dedicated Graphics
Storage Type
HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
Custom Bundle
No
RAM Size
16 GB
Brand
Lenovo
Series
Y50
Connectivity
HDMI, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
Type
Notebook/Laptop
Processor
Intel Core i7 4th Gen.
Processor Speed
2.50 GHz
SSD Capacity
NONE
Features
10/100 LAN Card, Backlit Keyboard, Built-in Microphone, Built-in Webcam, Wi-Fi
Screen Size
15.6 in
Manufacturer Colour
Black

20 minutes ago, Dave1972 said:

Hello, 

im looking to purchase a new laptop to run FM21 and I came across the following. Would this be suitable for running the game with quite a few leagues and the 3D match engine ? I’ll post the specs below.

Model
Lenovo Y50-70
Hard Drive Capacity
1 TB
Maximum Resolution
1920 x 1080
MPN
Y50-70
Colour
Black
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce 860m GTX
Operating System
Windows 10
Graphics Processing Type
Dedicated Graphics
Storage Type
HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
Custom Bundle
No
RAM Size
16 GB
Brand
Lenovo
Series
Y50
Connectivity
HDMI, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
Type
Notebook/Laptop
Processor
Intel Core i7 4th Gen.
Processor Speed
2.50 GHz
SSD Capacity
NONE
Features
10/100 LAN Card, Backlit Keyboard, Built-in Microphone, Built-in Webcam, Wi-Fi
Screen Size
15.6 in
Manufacturer Colour
Black

I'm assuming from the specs this is a used or refurbished unit.  What price is that being sold for?

We'd also need to know really exactly which processor it has to fully judge.  I suspect it's this one: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4710MQ+%40+2.50GHz&id=2219

If it is, I'd expect what I'd describe as acceptable processing speed, but it certainly won't be quick by today's standards as that's a good few years old now.

20 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I'm assuming from the specs this is a used or refurbished unit.  What price is that being sold for?

We'd also need to know really exactly which processor it has to fully judge.  I suspect it's this one: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4710MQ+%40+2.50GHz&id=2219

If it is, I'd expect what I'd describe as acceptable processing speed, but it certainly won't be quick by today's standards as that's a good few years old now.

Hello, 

Yes that’s the processor, it is a refurb it was going for £350. I’m not the best with all this stuff that’s why I thought I’d ask before I did and I’m glad I have now 😂 do you have any other laptops you could recommend for around £500 ? 

1 hour ago, Dave1972 said:

Hello, 

Yes that’s the processor, it is a refurb it was going for £350. I’m not the best with all this stuff that’s why I thought I’d ask before I did and I’m glad I have now 😂 do you have any other laptops you could recommend for around £500 ? 

To be honest, I can't find anything I'd consider to be better in the price range, and £350 actually seems a good price for that laptop.  Whilst it is a few years old, it's still a reasonable spec and the graphics card will handle FM's 3D match engine without issue.

The only thing I would say is if you're looking to play other modern games as well you will probably need to look at higher prices.

Edited by kevhamster

12 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

To be honest, I can't find anything I'd consider to be better in the price range, and £350 actually seems a good price for that laptop.  Whilst it is a few years old, it's still a reasonable spec and the graphics card will handle FM's 3D match engine without issue.

The only thing I would say is if you're looking to play other modern games as well you will probably need to look at higher prices.

Hello mate,

thanks for the reply, FM is the only thing I plan to use it for as I have a separate laptop for work etc. So I may got for it, thanks very much for the help !

Hi, I have no clue what any of the computer talk means and looking for help. I'm looking for a laptop, price range upto £700. All I would use it for is FM, Netflix and browsing the internet. Wouldn't download anything or use it for any other games. 

I would hope to use the 3d match engine and quite a few leagues.

Any help even just a push to the best make of laptop would be much appreciated.

Edited by DJapp

12 minutes ago, DJapp said:

Hi, I have no clue what any of the computer talk means and looking for help. I'm looking for a laptop, price range upto £700. All I would use it for is FM, Netflix and browsing the internet. Wouldn't download anything or use it for any other games. 

I would hope to use the 3d match engine and quite a few leagues.

Any help even just a push to the best make of laptop would be much appreciated.

https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

Decent laptop CPU, Graphics Card is ample for FM.  Should do the job quite nicely.

3 hours ago, roskatsa said:

Hey guys

What's your opinion on this one? https://www.stephanis.com.cy/en/products/363748

I'm thinking about stretching my 800 budget to get this

Will it run fm smoothly, in terms of in game processing with facepacks/kitpacks etc and the 3d match engine?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ok Firstly, if you do with that one it's Windows S - you can't play FM in Windows S mode - you need to switch out of it - and you cannot go back. Not a bad thing.

This laptop also has no dedicated graphics card, not a bad thing either. But if you play matches in 3D it might struggle for next version or future versions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85

Technically it's ranked higher on this site

image.png.62ecfe42e52fad9f41ebd94866b6b66e.png

However, FM requires 2.2ghz - as you can see here it's 2000MHZ - with Turbo to 4100. That's 2.0ghz and 4.1ghz.

The TDP column tells us that this processor is designed to throttle under heavy load, which FM will do. Throttling is designed in some processors as it's not designed for heavy workload, it's designed for portability, and when it gets hot (Thermal Desgin Power (TDP)) it will reduce speed to preserve power.  It's likely that this will struggle with FM especially being below minimum spec. 

The better of these is the 9300HF or the 9300H

The HF means a dedicated graphics card is required, as the processor doesn't have an integrated graphics card, which is fine, but if the graphics card goes it's not good, there is no backup.

Based on this - I'd go from that site - with this - 

https://www.stephanis.com.cy/en/products/information-technology/laptops-and-accessories/laptops/358198

The processor is ranked lower, but it has a faster base speed that is over the the recommeneded 2.2ghz. 

It has a mid-range although slightly older graphics card - it would be ideal for FM.

It has 8g RAM - which is good. You can probably update this to 16gb of RAM over time, which is quite inexpensive. 

Some laptops it's easy, some not. If in doubt contact a pro.

image.png

Edited by Smurf

Hi folks

Looking to get a new laptop for FM21, and thinking of getting this one: https://www.box.co.uk/1L6F6EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ec1007na_2958258.html

Will that run FM pretty well? I watch on 3D, have a few leagues/nations loaded up and don't play any other games. Apart from FM the laptop will be used for browsing, music and writing, so nothing too intensive. 

Or can anyone recommend something that will perform roughly the same but is maybe £50 or so cheaper?

Thanks!

Edited by Lucky Wilbury

1 hour ago, Lucky Wilbury said:

Hi folks

Looking to get a new laptop for FM21, and thinking of getting this one: https://www.box.co.uk/1L6F6EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ec1007na_2958258.html

Will that run FM pretty well? I watch on 3D, have a few leagues/nations loaded up and don't play any other games. Apart from FM the laptop will be used for browsing, music and writing, so nothing too intensive. 

Or can anyone recommend something that will perform roughly the same but is maybe £50 or so cheaper?

Thanks!

Yes, that will do an excellent job.

I can't see anything on Box for lower that I think would quite be equal, but if you're asking for one at £750 because that's your actual budget then I'd suggest this which would also be excellent for FM: https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

Edited by kevhamster

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

Ok Firstly, if you do with that one it's Windows S - you can't play FM in Windows S mode - you need to switch out of it - and you cannot go back. Not a bad thing.

This laptop also has no dedicated graphics card, not a bad thing either. But if you play matches in 3D it might struggle for next version or future versions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85

Technically it's ranked higher on this site

image.png.62ecfe42e52fad9f41ebd94866b6b66e.png

However, FM requires 2.2ghz - as you can see here it's 2000MHZ - with Turbo to 4100. That's 2.0ghz and 4.1ghz.

The TDP column tells us that this processor is designed to throttle under heavy load, which FM will do. Throttling is designed in some processors as it's not designed for heavy workload, it's designed for portability, and when it gets hot (Thermal Desgin Power (TDP)) it will reduce speed to preserve power.  It's likely that this will struggle with FM especially being below minimum spec. 

The better of these is the 9300HF or the 9300H

The HF means a dedicated graphics card is required, as the processor doesn't have an integrated graphics card, which is fine, but if the graphics card goes it's not good, there is no backup.

Based on this - I'd go from that site - with this - 

https://www.stephanis.com.cy/en/products/information-technology/laptops-and-accessories/laptops/358198

The processor is ranked lower, but it has a faster base speed that is over the the recommeneded 2.2ghz. 

It has a mid-range although slightly older graphics card - it would be ideal for FM.

It has 8g RAM - which is good. You can probably update this to 16gb of RAM over time, which is quite inexpensive. 

Some laptops it's easy, some not. If in doubt contact a pro.

image.png

Hey @Smurf thanks for the great response, I really appreciate. Well, the thing is that the laptop you suggested is one I allready own but some issues occured after two years and now Im in the stage of either replacing it or fixing it, or just fixing it and buying a good new laptop on a budget as well. I would like to buy a laptop which can be a kind of an all-rounder (in the level that's possible on a budget) and I would really like something like a notebook/ultrabook (dont really now the titles) that you can play fm21 on. For example I checked the option of Asus Zenbook 14 (Ryzen 5-4500U/8GB/512GB SSD/AMD Radeon Graphics) with 2.3 GHz ? https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-ZenBook-Integrated-Graphics-UM425IA-AM049TS/dp/B08CKZZL1K 

thanks in advance once again

I would say an MSI Laptop, I already use year after year a MSI Laptop and did always what it needed to do. It's powerfull, Has great graphics and it works actually excellent with FM Games and also other things like PhotoShop. But MSI is one of the best gaming laptop builders at the top 3 and is always doing what it should be. But it depends on what you want to spend. I can give you a example of one of the cheapest. 

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/msi-gaming-gf63-10scxr-060be-thin-gaming-laptop-15-6-inch-azerty/9300000000270793/?Referrer=ADVNLGOO002021-G-86837479375-S-902510697567-9300000000270793&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlvT8BRDeARIsAACRFiVkvqVxnnIr-Ry8c6KtS3fVK7xZk0gDr8bjw_-roGOuIOIdg-KvGFwaAreFEALw_wcB

But like i said early-er it depends on what you want to spend or what you can spend. 

Ps: This was one example, I can't place it all here. 

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Yes, that will do an excellent job.

I can't see anything on Box for lower that I think would quite be equal, but if you're asking for one at £750 because that's your actual budget then I'd suggest this which would also be excellent for FM: https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

Thanks @kevhamster, I appreciate the response. I did look at that Lenovo one and this one, which I think is the same as the one you linked to, but with a better graphics card. But I decided that the 256GB SSD wasn't quite enough for me.

I guess the thing I'm most confused about is the processor. The Ryzen 5 4600H ranks quite a bit higher than the i5-9300H on the benchmarking site, but what does that mean in reality? How much better is the performance with the Ryzen compared to the Intel when playing FM? So is this HP Pavilion worth £50 more than this Acer Aspire given the only difference is in the processor?

26 minutes ago, Lucky Wilbury said:

Thanks @kevhamster, I appreciate the response. I did look at that Lenovo one and this one, which I think is the same as the one you linked to, but with a better graphics card. But I decided that the 256GB SSD wasn't quite enough for me.

I guess the thing I'm most confused about is the processor. The Ryzen 5 4600H ranks quite a bit higher than the i5-9300H on the benchmarking site, but what does that mean in reality? How much better is the performance with the Ryzen compared to the Intel when playing FM? So is this HP Pavilion worth £50 more than this Acer Aspire given the only difference is in the processor?

The benchmarking sites give a score based on tests carried out and submitted by users. They are an indicator of performance, but there are other factors which can affect things, so it's not an exact science. 

However, if you can afford the extra £50 for the Ryzen based laptop, I'd go for it. The Ryzen 5 4600H is newer than the i5-9300, has a higher clock speed and 2 more cores so is definitely a higher spec than the Intel. I just mentioned the i5 based one as your post suggested you may be stretching your budget so I wanted to suggest a less expensive option that would still offer you a good performance in case that was true. 

The other side of it is that as you pointed out, these have a higher spec graphics card, which is not really something to worry about with FM. It's not graphically intense enough that a 1650 will give you any benefit over a 1050.  So if you're not playing any other games, it's not worth overspending to get a higher spec graphics card. 

6 hours ago, AVFCfan01 said:

Hi folks,

I am also looking to get a new pc. Will likely only use it for FM and maybe catan. Budget is around £1000. 

I generally have a db around 125k loaded up, is there any specific ones I should be looking at?

You want something with a very strong processor and a decent amount of RAM. 

Something like this:, https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/intel-z490-pc/hKWYHqJ5fv/

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205925-pdt.html

Would FM 21 run fine on this guys? How many leagues would be loadable?

35 minutes ago, Sanel said:

Source on this? Well yeah, the minimum specs require 2.0 ghz for a AMD Athlon but not for the processor he was looking at. I dunno what I'm missing here.

The source is the system specs quoted by SI. 

Of course, it's entirely possible that the game will run on a CPU with a lower clock speed, in fact my own laptop that I've used for the last year has a lower base clock speed and runs FM. 

But, people are asking for recommendations and it would be questionable advice to recommend something with a lower base clock speed.  So, we have to err on the side of caution with these things as people are taking this advice and dropping sizeable chunks of cash based on these recommendations. 

Edited by kevhamster

24 minutes ago, fmgod1 said:

That'll do a grand job. 

As per the OP, we cannot suggest how many leagues would be possible as without testing the machine ourselves it's pure speculation and people's expectations are different in terms of what is acceptable for processing speed. 

But that is a strong CPU in that machine and should handle multiple countries with ease. 

1 hour ago, Sanel said:

Source on this? Well yeah, the minimum specs require 2.0 ghz for a AMD Athlon but not for the processor he was looking at. I dunno what I'm missing here.

Football Manager Specs. The minimum requirement is a 2.2ghz processor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1100600/Football_Manager_2020/

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
OS: Windows 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (Update 1803/April 2018 or later) – 64-bit
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 (64-bit), Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 – 2.2 GHz +
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 7 GB available space

34 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The source is the system specs quoted by SI. 

Of course, it's entirely possible that the game will run on a CPU with a lower clock speed, in fact my own laptop that I've used for the last year has a lower base clock speed and runs FM. 

But, people are asking for recommendations and it would be questionable advice to recommend something with a lower base clock speed.  So, we have to err on the side of caution with these things as people are taking this advice and dropping sizeable chunks of cash based on these recommendations. 

I don't know why anyone would be recommending something outside of minimum specs. 

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

That'll do a grand job. 

As per the OP, we cannot suggest how many leagues would be possible as without testing the machine ourselves it's pure speculation and people's expectations are different in terms of what is acceptable for processing speed. 

But that is a strong CPU in that machine and should handle multiple countries with ease. 

Brilliant, thank you

54 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I don't know why anyone would be recommending something outside of minimum specs. 

Absolutely. I was just explaining the rationale. We know a Ryzen, core i5 etc will perform better than an Athlon, but we still have to be careful when people are relying on recommendations we make. 

Hi there, I'm currently looking between 2 laptops. Both Dell Inspirons. The first is a 14":

• Intel Core i7-10510U (4 Core), 1.8 GHz (4.9 GHz Max Turbo)
  • 16 GB (2 x 8 GB Fixed), DDR 3, 2133 MHz Ram
  • 512 GB Solid State Drive (M.2 SSD)
  • 14 inch 1920 x 1080 FHD, True Life LED-Backlit
  • 2GB NVIDIA GeForce MX250

The second is a 15" touchscreen:

• Intel Core i7-10510U (4 Core), 1.8 GHz (4.9 GHz Max Turbo)
  • 16 GB (2 x 8 GB), DDR 4, 2667 MHz Ram
  • 512 GB Solid State Drive (M.2 SSD)
  • 15.6 inch 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS Truelife LED-Backlit Touch
  • 2GB NVIDIA GeForce MX250

I've never played FM with great graphics (normally have to stick to 2D if I don't want my laptop to explode), so I would really like the opportunity to do that. I know the spec of the second laptop is better, but wondered:

- what the playability of the game would be like with 1920 x 1080 FHD and GeForceMX250 would be like, and if it will make a big differencce to upgrade to the second laptop?

- idea of what capacity of leagues I'd be able to load with the laptop running comfortably with that processor and ram.

Edited by Shwinerz

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Football Manager Specs. The minimum requirement is a 2.2ghz processor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1100600/Football_Manager_2020/

Just looked at Steam and the min spec for FM21 shows a lower speed processor

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • OS: Windows 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (Update 1903/May 2019 or later) – 64-bit
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 – 1.8 GHz +
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 7 GB available space

Is that correct? A reflection on the latest processors? 

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

Absolutely. I was just explaining the rationale. We know a Ryzen, core i5 etc will perform better than an Athlon, but we still have to be careful when people are relying on recommendations we make. 

I know you were, I was simply agreeing :) 

1 hour ago, Marki said:

Just looked at Steam and the min spec for FM21 shows a lower speed processor

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • OS: Windows 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (Update 1903/May 2019 or later) – 64-bit
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 – 1.8 GHz +
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 7 GB available space

Is that correct? A reflection on the latest processors? 

That was for FM 20 

You are correct FM21 has shifted the speed down - I'll have to get someone to check that out.

I didn't realise the specs were out!!! YIKES!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1263850/Football_Manager_2021/

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
OS: Windows 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (Update 1903/May 2019 or later) – 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 – 1.8 GHz +
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 7 GB available space

@EdL can you weigh on this - is this correct? I haven't seen it change in years!

3 hours ago, Sanel said:

I stand corrected - FM 2021 seems to have lowered the spec. Hopefully have clarification on this soon.

Sorry about that!

Just now, Smurf said:

That was for FM 20 

You are correct FM21 has shifted the speed down - I'll have to get someone to check that out.

I didn't realise the specs were out!!! YIKES!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1263850/Football_Manager_2021/

@EdL can you weigh on this - is this correct? I haven't seen it change in years!