How to use individual attributes to understand how good a player is

I'm always struggling to use the individual attributes to understand how good a certain player is.
I always use the star rating, and the comparison with one of my team player's to have an idea of how good someone is.
when I look at individual stats I can say: "Oh nice, he has 17 finishing, that's good",
but I struggle to have a good idea of how good the player is compared with my team and the current league by just looking at his stats

A lot of people know by heart "if you're managing in premier league, an average rating of xx in main stats is needed".
But I don't have this kind of knowledge, and I don't always manage in the well known leagues:

How do you familiarize yourself with a new league and how do you know what on average good ratings should be for main stats?

Do you open all your own player profiles first and try and remember as much as possible of their own stats, and open profile of some of the leagues best players to have an idea what stat values are needed to be among the best?

In short I'm looking for a way to use player attributes, that by looking at a player profile I can understand how good (on paper) a certain player is within the league and team I'm managing.

The team report can help you a lot. It will put your team into perspective and show you how good your players are compared to each other. There's also a comparison tab that can show how good your team's attributes are compared to the league. 

As for the stats it is just experience for the league and would take a bit of time to see what the "best" stats are in that league. Again above can help you figure it out faster. 

The short answer, unfortunately, is not a very good answer; it depends. It depends on a lot of things. Like what tactical role are you playing him in? Two central midfielders might have vastly different set of skills, but both are good for what they do.

And to make it even more vague, a single attribute alone will not show how well the player will do in a situation. A player with 17 finishing might miss where a player with finishing 10 will score, based on a lot of the other attributes like composure, decisions, technique and more.

Using average attributes are also not a good idea, because you might not care that your striker have a tackling attribute of 19 if he is a poacher for instance.

The basic decision is, the higher the better at everything, but especially the ones outlined for the role that is intended.

If you are unsure, then use your staff and their reports as guidelines.

I wouldn't advise just looking at a single attribute. You could have an Inside Forward with 20 finishing and you think he's the next Messi. Maybe he has 2 for balance, so running with the ball or onto a ball or having to turn and shoot etc etc will mean that due to his poor balance, he's not going to hit the ball poorly. Or he has awful composure, so if he's under pressure or in a 1 v 1, he's going to melt.

At the very least, identify a few key attributes you want in a player for the position and role you're looking to play him in.

Maybe I worded it a bit wrong, I'm aware that it's wrong looking at one individual stat and that you need to look at a set of attributes depending on how you will use the player.

But I often see in youtube saves for example people going to the search player screen and setting a filter: "min 15 for this, this and this".  My question was more how do you determine  that for their league and team that min value is "15". I'm now fairly familiar with what set of attributes are important for the positions/roles in my team, but I'm finding it difficult to rate the player myself by looking at his attributes, and I would like to improve on that since it gives more information then the star ratings I now go by.

3 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

Maybe I worded it a bit wrong, I'm aware that it's wrong looking at one individual stat and that you need to look at a set of attributes depending on how you will use the player.

But I often see in youtube saves for example people going to the search player screen and setting a filter: "min 15 for this, this and this".  My question was more how do you determine  that for their league and team that min value is "15". I'm now fairly familiar with what set of attributes are important for the positions/roles in my team, but I'm finding it difficult to rate the player myself by looking at his attributes, and I would like to improve on that since it gives more information then the star ratings I now go by.

That is part of the game though. To find out what level to pick from. And it's something I really enjoy. Take a look at your team in comparison to the league (I think you can find that under team report). Then you can see how your squad relates to the league in general. So using that base you know that picking up players with stats below that would not be a good thing, unless it's a young talent, or course.

One thing to bear in mind: unless a team has been promoted or relegated, then most teams in a division should be reasonably competitive and able to take points off one another. 

When starting out with a team, it's probably more important to compare your players with one another and to figure out what system will allow you to get your best players on the field and playing to their strengths, and highlight any areas of your team that are significantly weaker or short of numbers. 

3 hours ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

Personally, I don't care about "min xx for this level." Say you're looking for a playmaker and you find a player who has 14 passing, 20 Vision, 20 Decisions, 20 Anticipation etc. Are you going to leave him because 1 attribute is below 15? 

I scout to find the best players I can and then I see if they're enough of an upgrade from what I have to consider buying.

The comparison tool in the team report section is your friend here. As someone posted above, it highlights where your team compares to others in the league in various attributes,and shows you the highest, lowest, and average attribute in the league for a wide range of them. It's a screen I check very early in my save. 

Archived