Direct Free Kick and Finishing

Hello all,

I am not sure whether this is the right place to put this question, but I would just try to address one thing which I personally think is related to each other.

It's about Direct Free Kick ability and "Finishing" attribute.

When the free-kick taker takes a Direct Free-kick to a goal, does "Finishing" matters?

I know there are many things which are related to direct free kick ability (such as Decision, Composure, Vision or Technique).

But when I play the game, it feels like a player with high (or enough) "Finishing" stat actually bring the ball much closer to the goal area when taking direct free-kick.

Which means, the player with high "Finishing" stat showed higher rate of creating "Shot on goal."

Ones with low "Finishing" tends to shoot the ball to the outer space more, even with decent Free-kick, Long-Shot and other stats.

From the posts that I've read, some people stated that "Finishing" only applies to shots that are taken inside the penalty area.

Some state that it only applies to shots that are taken within 22 meters from the goal, anything beyond 22 meters is the "Long Shot."

I don't know if this is the fact or not.

If all other stats are identical, as an example, then ones with decent "Finishing" stat actually put the ball into the goal more often (doesn't mean that it scores all the time).

At least, that's how I felt during 10 seasons that I played with Everton FC (I've used many different decent Free-kick takers during these 10 seasons).

How do you guy feel about this?

Just now, isignedupfornorealreason said:

The tactics section, under Set Pieces:

This is the quote:

Yeah, it's not wrong, but it's not clear enough. Penalty Taking is the accuracy when taking a penalty. Free Kick Taking is the accuracy when taking free kicks. Finishing is the accuracy during open play, in the box, I'd say. Long shots is accuracy with long shots.

Why Finishing is lumped in with penalty taking, is what if the keeper saves and there's a rebound? Then you need a good finisher. Doesn't happen often, but it can help.

16 minutes ago, herne79 said:

For Freekicks I'd think about Technique and Composure ahead of Finishing.  Take a look at Pirlo to see what I mean.

Exactly. I always think about Leighton Baines in this case. Something like 16 Free Kick Taking and 5 or 6 for Finishing. A clear example of a player (a defender too!) who is quite able from a free kick.

Finishing is from within the box isn't it? 

Long Shots from outside.

My thinking is: 

Penalties = Penalties, Finishing, Composure

Free Kicks = Free Kicks, Long Shots, Composure

For both, I think Decisions and Technique play a part as well to different effect

Add in PPMs too - Bends Ball is useful for Free Kick takers

Just now, enigmatic said:

Yeah, I think the more interesting question is how much Long Shots helps (especially: do you choose the player with medium Free Kicks and high Long shots or vice versa?)

It can only help if the freekick taker hits the wall and there's a follow-up long shot.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

It can only help if the freekick taker hits the wall and there's a follow-up long shot.

This all has been reworked  then someplace along the years without much further ado (typical FM). Because oldish m anuals where very specific, suggesting two kinds of weightings going on -- formerly, anyways*. After all, kick ain't kick! :D

Direct free kick, e.g. attempt at goal: long shots also considered (it's a shot from some distance, after all).

indirect free kick, e.g. cross into the box, assist, crossing also considered.

The print thing used to be pretty specific about it, no less as there used to be a dedicated section just about picking set piece takers (I have the thing still right here right now, whilst free kicks is the Primary attribute, it also highlights concentration, technique, and composure as secondary ones to consider). Nowadays, well... :P If you wanted to "stress test", there's the player editor of course. Filter a league/country's players, hold Shift key, mark them all and save a file where each of them has a free kick attribute of 20 and long shots 1. Then do another edit where each player has free kicks long shots 20 each. As every player is given that set of traits, and with a league season or two simulated, the sample size of kicks should be decent enough. :)

*<edit: that's actually still in "word by word" in the online manual, exact same text. :DHowever, manuals as well as in-game tool tips have lacked behind development more than once already.

Archived