AI transfer decision making

Hi all,

I was looking through some transfers and i saw Newcastle had spent £26.5m on a centre-back from Stoke called Jerry St.Juste. They then proceeded to barely play him all season and his value is nowhere near the fee paid. I wouldn't have paid £26.5m for him based on what I can see here. Am I missing something obvious that makes him super valuable or did AI Newcastle just make a big mistake (they are managed by Tim Sherwood so you never know ;), and they are Newcastle so prone to doing crazy things).Jerry St. Juste 1Jerry St. Juste 2

A Premier League club paying over the odds for a mediocre player and then not playing him, either in game or in real life?  Colour me pink and call me Moussa Sissoko, how bizarre...;)

Seriously though it doesn't exactly look like a bargain does it, but there are plenty of real life expensive transfers which turned out to be (lets be generous here) less than ideal.  That's not to say the AI transfer system can't be improved and if it's a common occurrence it might be worth raising in the bugs forum, but then it isn't supposed to be perfect because real life isn't perfect.

well, they do make some mistakes due to poor decisions and squad administration, others are mistakes that some actually do IRL, like thinking that a player can be super good just because he got one good season in say...Ligue 1 or erevdivisie (Correct me) for example, i sold yestarday my rotation center back for 35M + adds to get it to 50 and a 30% on next transfer...a relegation battler team's center back, 24 age with only 21 league games due to wonderkid first teamer center back injured...right now im 5 games in the new season, he only has played 1 games from the bench with a 6.2...why did they sign him?...he had an rating AVG of 6.93 the season he was with me, oh they also signed 2 more center backs that are better than him in the same window :D 

2 hours ago, Neotropolis said:

Bad transfer decisions? A £50m Fernando Torres to Chelsea springs to mind...

That one always makes me laugh - he had a blinder at Liverpool though, and at the time 50m wasn't too bad given what he did at 'pool.

As far as iffy transfer decisions, yes there are  often mistakes made, but how deep do you look into them? Watching the scenario at Wolves, from afar,  I wonder how influential the agents are in this version of FM.

3 hours ago, WorcesterLegend said:

well, they do make some mistakes due to poor decisions and squad administration, others are mistakes that some actually do IRL, like thinking that a player can be super good just because he got one good season in say...Ligue 1 or erevdivisie (Correct me) for example, i sold yestarday my rotation center back for 35M + adds to get it to 50 and a 30% on next transfer...a relegation battler team's center back, 24 age with only 21 league games due to wonderkid first teamer center back injured...right now im 5 games in the new season, he only has played 1 games from the bench with a 6.2...why did they sign him?...he had an rating AVG of 6.93 the season he was with me, oh they also signed 2 more center backs that are better than him in the same window :D 

Ereredividividivisidive, I think.

I think basically all the Premier League clubs act like the "big clubs" and stockpile players due to the ridiculous amounts of money they have, particularly after a couple of seasons. For St. Juste not playing for Newcastle, I can compare directly with De Ligt being signed by Arsenal first season for £36m then not appearing for the first team that season. 

17 hours ago, zlatanera said:

De Ligt being signed by Arsenal first season for £36m then not appearing for the first team that season. 

This has happened in every one of my saves. Unless I buy him first!

Archived