National Team Eligibility

I am coaching the New Zeland NT and I have a doubt here:

What is needed for a foreign player to be eligible to play for National Team? Isn't it, in NZ case, 5 years continously living in the nation?

It means 1825 days are needed. But I have various cases here that players are more than 2000 days continously - as we can see in the information section - and they are just not eligible for a call up. They have the citizenship but not possible to call up them. 

What is happening? Did I miss something?

If no to the above, have they already declared themselves for another National Team as this would also prevent them playing for you.

I also know that some national teams have opted out of allowing players that become citizens from playing for the national team. I believe England is one of these. Not sure if this translates into FM though.

Thanks for replies. 

No for both. I am aware if they are declared or played elsewhere at national level they would not be eligible. I'm the third season here and various foreigners obtained the citizenship but no yet eligible to get a call. As I said, no declarated or played to anyone else.

Also as far as I am aware the game should also provide some info on the players nationalities panel to indicate what is happening once they have passed the days limit - generally say not interested, needs to reside in country, or awaiting paperwork for example. This page should also tell you what the requirements are in case they are different from just being five years.

If they do have New Zealand Nationality then check they aren't declared for another nation, have competitive caps, also in previous versions being in another nations squad (even without playing) would lock them from being called up by another nation so if they are in a squad you might need to wait for them to be dropped before you can call them up.

No, they are not waiting the documents to get ready. There are some players who received the citizenship and are eligible but they are really few. These players in New Zealand would receive no interest from their nations, since they many of them are of high level football nations like Croatia, England and Argentina. They don't count as foreigners for the league rules, they are in the living continously in the nation for more than 5 years - enough time to get the citizenship and also  to be eligible due FIFA rules. I'll let you some examples attached, please take a look. I'm in the third season of this save. 

PS: All messages - in Portuguese - say the same: they inform they need five years to be eligible for the national team of country they are current living. 

bilen1.png

dicks1.png

First you have the amount of days still needed to be eligible (0) and after the amount of days they're currently living in New Zealand. As said, they have now the citizenship - no caps for national team, they are not declared to any nation and they're also not iy any other national team squad - but not eligible to get a call up of even try to convice them to it. 

Edited by Saltori

2 hours ago, Saltori said:

No, they are not waiting the documents to get ready. There are some players who received the citizenship and are eligible but they are really few. These players in New Zealand would receive no interest from their nations, since they many of them are of high level football nations like Croatia, England and Argentina. They don't count as foreigners for the league rules, they are in the living continously in the nation for more than 5 years - enough time to get the citizenship and also  to be eligible due FIFA rules. I'll let you some examples attached, please take a look. I'm in the third season of this save. 

PS: All messages - in Portuguese - say the same: they inform they need five years to be eligible for the national team of country they are current living. 

bilen1.png

dicks1.png

First you have the amount of days still needed to be eligible (0) and after the amount of days they're currently living in New Zealand. As said, they have now the citizenship - no caps for national team, they are not declared to any nation and they're also not iy any other national team squad - but not eligible to get a call up of even try to convice them to it. 

You're looking at the eligibility screen here, that refers to them being eligible for various competitions. You need to be looking at the Nationality screen as this will tell you what Nationalities they are eligible for. See my screenshot below:

image.thumb.png.7df66a09f8458829ac14913084ad2431.png

As you can see, my player has both English and Brazilian nationalities. He has declared himself for England and as such is only eligible for England and will not be able to play for Brazil.

Yes, I understand. But they have the citizenship already, in other nationalities there is New Zealand for both of them. I've shown the eligibility screen assuming that they already have the NZ dual citizenship but there's something being a hurdle for me to make possible to make a call for them. 

4 hours ago, Saltori said:

Yes, I understand. But they have the citizenship already, in other nationalities there is New Zealand for both of them. I've shown the eligibility screen assuming that they already have the NZ dual citizenship but there's something being a hurdle for me to make possible to make a call for them. 

Do those players have any youth caps for their original nation? If they do that would make them ineligible for a national team switch but I do not know if this is reflected in FM.
IRL a player is ineligible to switch to another nation if he did not have that nationality when he played for his first national team. Naturalized players can play for new teams, naturalized players with previous caps (even youth) cannot.

I took a look at your player from my save (note: FM17 but should not matter much). I do not play in NZ or influence anything with him:

2133073960_ScreenShot2018-05-31at18_59_58.thumb.png.3a33379c681061101ef341163ac0f6a8.png

So first off, he has no youth cap for Croatia. Second, he arrived (according to FM17) in Feb 2013 so by the "now" date he fulfilled the 5-year plus paperwork period and he did gain the NZ nationality and is eligible to play for NZ. You better check if your player has the same flags as mine here. Sometimes a player takes the citizenship but do not wish to represent the naturalised nation (for some unknown reasons), I have seen this before, he is dual nationality but he is not eligible to play for the new nation. It may be a bug in the game, or it's just he doesn't want to. There's further complications that even he is eligible, he doesn't want to commit to a nation "yet", but it seems we haven't reached that stage.

Looking at your pic again I doubt your Bilen wants to play for NZ or not, because in mine once he takes up NZ the eligibility counter disappears:

389848479_ScreenShot2018-05-31at19_06_43.thumb.png.476bc4cbcc3c159bd4be04dc1771dde1.png

As you still have the counter counting, I really think he has no interest for NZ. (or there is a bug)

EDIT

I looked at your other player in my save and I seem to understand what's going on:

188124483_ScreenShot2018-05-31at19_15_14.thumb.png.69a7940bb78a9b2084e6724ee69c83ee.png1808573821_ScreenShot2018-05-31at19_15_06.thumb.png.7d59c99a36f533dc69fbfd6d7e0d5866.png

It looks like your Bilen and your Dickinson, like my Dickinson here, "sees no benefit" in gaining the nationality, so the counter keeps on counting. In this case, there is nothing you could do, it could be personal reasons, or your league system isn't strict enough that he is willing to take up NZ to free up a foreigner slot.

Edited by a.panda

As an Ex-pat in NZ IRL five years in-country and you can apply for citizenship, without any other football nationality (caps/declarations) for another country  I think you can play for NZ if you declare.

Or, you can do what they did IRL - scour the world for tenuous links to NZ and find players that way. In the WC Qualifier playoff last year the squad carried a Greek dude, whose first ever trip to NZ was to represent the All Whites against Peru - his Mum was half-NZ and had dual citinzenship.

Also, one thing to remember but I am not sure about how it works, although Phoenix play in the Australian League, they are an Oceanic club and NZ is an Oceania nation rather than Asia like Australia - makes the home-grown and eligibility situation all the more complicated. (Phoenix can't qualify for the Asian Champions Cup even if they win the league)

On 30/05/2018 at 05:56, Neotropolis said:

Can you show the Nationality screen for the above players?

The only difference is that they count as local player for their club (as NZ Citizen) but not eligible for national team.

5 hours ago, Saltori said:

The only difference is that they count as local player for their club (as NZ Citizen) but not eligible for national team.

I'd assume that they chose not to take up the NZ nationality then...

10 hours ago, Snorks said:

As an Ex-pat in NZ IRL five years in-country and you can apply for citizenship, without any other football nationality (caps/declarations) for another country  I think you can play for NZ if you declare.

Or, you can do what they did IRL - scour the world for tenuous links to NZ and find players that way. In the WC Qualifier playoff last year the squad carried a Greek dude, whose first ever trip to NZ was to represent the All Whites against Peru - his Mum was half-NZ and had dual citinzenship.

Also, one thing to remember but I am not sure about how it works, although Phoenix play in the Australian League, they are an Oceanic club and NZ is an Oceania nation rather than Asia like Australia - makes the home-grown and eligibility situation all the more complicated. (Phoenix can't qualify for the Asian Champions Cup even if they win the league)

Seem to remember and Afghan footballer who had made 20 odd appearances for them in a similar way but due to ongoing conflict they were playing outside the country home and away so he was in the weird situation of being multiple times capped and had NEVER been to the country

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 29/05/2018 at 13:43, Saltori said:

I am coaching the New Zeland NT and I have a doubt here:

What is needed for a foreign player to be eligible to play for National Team? Isn't it, in NZ case, 5 years continously living in the nation?

It means 1825 days are needed. But I have various cases here that players are more than 2000 days continously - as we can see in the information section - and they are just not eligible for a call up. They have the citizenship but not possible to call up them. 

What is happening? Did I miss something?

i have same problem like you . im really hope anyone can solve it

On 01/06/2018 at 02:13, a.panda said:

I took a look at your player from my save (note: FM17 but should not matter much). I do not play in NZ or influence anything with him:

2133073960_ScreenShot2018-05-31at18_59_58.thumb.png.3a33379c681061101ef341163ac0f6a8.png

So first off, he has no youth cap for Croatia. Second, he arrived (according to FM17) in Feb 2013 so by the "now" date he fulfilled the 5-year plus paperwork period and he did gain the NZ nationality and is eligible to play for NZ. You better check if your player has the same flags as mine here. Sometimes a player takes the citizenship but do not wish to represent the naturalised nation (for some unknown reasons), I have seen this before, he is dual nationality but he is not eligible to play for the new nation. It may be a bug in the game, or it's just he doesn't want to. There's further complications that even he is eligible, he doesn't want to commit to a nation "yet", but it seems we haven't reached that stage.

Looking at your pic again I doubt your Bilen wants to play for NZ or not, because in mine once he takes up NZ the eligibility counter disappears:

389848479_ScreenShot2018-05-31at19_06_43.thumb.png.476bc4cbcc3c159bd4be04dc1771dde1.png

As you still have the counter counting, I really think he has no interest for NZ. (or there is a bug)

EDIT

I looked at your other player in my save and I seem to understand what's going on:

188124483_ScreenShot2018-05-31at19_15_14.thumb.png.69a7940bb78a9b2084e6724ee69c83ee.png1808573821_ScreenShot2018-05-31at19_15_06.thumb.png.7d59c99a36f533dc69fbfd6d7e0d5866.png

It looks like your Bilen and your Dickinson, like my Dickinson here, "sees no benefit" in gaining the nationality, so the counter keeps on counting. In this case, there is nothing you could do, it could be personal reasons, or your league system isn't strict enough that he is willing to take up NZ to free up a foreigner slot.

hmmm. how i want to edit my league system not strict anymore ?