Cannot win a league game!!

Having started games in The Vanarama League North with Chorley I was sacked (unsurprisingly) after 5 months having not won a single league game....so then to another fresh start with Curzon Ashton...and two months in my objective to avoid relegation sees me bottom of League North without a win at all in the league.

I love FM but seriously struggling, so any hints or tips much appreciated. Left the friendlies to my Assistant Manager....result....players not match fit 2 months into the season....wtf??

Just to counter the use of a downloaded tactic (which I have nothing against, but it is not going to help the OP understand why they are not winning games), try the tactics board for some help. Post your tactics, instructions, and everything else relevant to how you play. You can then be given some feedback based on this, and people can help you identify what is the problems, and help you address them. You can also mention what you see in games, how you concede, what happens when you attack etc. The guys over there are super friendly and good with advice.

Many thanks all....started afresh (3rd time!!) with Spennymoor Town in VNL North and won my opening game after a self organised pre-season. Brought in some players suggested on this site (I think) and going well. I used the 3-4-3 (thanks), seems to create goal fests, I beat the team in 2nd, York, 7-4 ffs!!! A much more enjoyable experience all round!!!

23 hours ago, BamBamBam said:

Me personally, would avoid the tactics board. You get alot of advice, none of which is concrete. It's just guess work. And you will end up more confused than ever!

There is no concrete set of instructions and roles that will let you win, though. It depends on the players, on who you play, and what you want to achieve. The ethos of the tactics forum is not just to tell you to do X and Y will happen. It is to help players understand how tactics work in FM, and how to translate what you see in real life to the game.

I would never use a downloaded tactic. You have no idea why it works, no idea how to fix it when it does not, and very often they are exploiting a weakness in the match engine. That means that when the ME changes, there is a high chance the tactic will stop working as before (hence why these things are updated each patch, whilst I use practically the same tactic from FM16).

Each to their own, anyway. Depends on what you want to get from FM. If you just want to play, win, get promoted and feel good without spending too much time, downloads are for you. If you want to understand the game, put time and effort into building something yourself, head to the forums. There is no right or wrong way to play the game, whatever suits each player.

3 hours ago, JJT1603 said:

Many thanks all....started afresh (3rd time!!) with Spennymoor Town in VNL North and won my opening game after a self organised pre-season. Brought in some players suggested on this site (I think) and going well. I used the 3-4-3 (thanks), seems to create goal fests, I beat the team in 2nd, York, 7-4 ffs!!! A much more enjoyable experience all round!!!

That tactic is helping my side to the top of the Premier. Its pretty good!

On 27/01/2018 at 13:44, JJT1603 said:

Having started games in The Vanarama League North with Chorley I was sacked (unsurprisingly) after 5 months having not won a single league game....so then to another fresh start with Curzon Ashton...and two months in my objective to avoid relegation sees me bottom of League North without a win at all in the league.

I love FM but seriously struggling, so any hints or tips much appreciated. Left the friendlies to my Assistant Manager....result....players not match fit 2 months into the season....wtf??

Sign fast and strong players, dont worry about there footballing ability. 

Play a 4-4-2,

full backs on support,

defensive centre backs on defend

Wingers on support

Two centre midfielders, either both on support or one of them on defend. 

Two up top, played in what ever role suites there attributes.

For team instructions, just have more direct passing and clear to flanks on. You dont want this team passing around they cant do it, and you want the defenders to just get rid so they dont make mistakes 

I'd play Standard/Structured, swap to counter if your being pinned back early doors, or swap to control if your on top and think your close to scoring

The point of this is to keep it simple, your players are not good footballers so keep the game basic and simple. 

4th start is looking very promising as have Spennymoor Town cemented in a play off place with 3 games to go (all against teams 16th or lower), just need to claw back on York and Leamington in 2nd and 3rd to give myself a decent chance and fewer play off games. Asymmetric 4-3-1-2 (4-4-2 with RM pushed on into a winger position) has been the formula, plus signing Connor Healey on loan from Mansfield, got Joe Boyd in goal and played the young 17 year old Bailey Prudhoe almost from the start on left midfield. Of course, I am over the wage budget but who isn't....and the board are singing my praises. A few beers at home tonight and these last 3 league games and then a tilt at the promotion play offs........It's been 'feast or famine' in the leagues, winning 5-4 away at league leaders Salford and drawn games as rare as rocking horse pooh

Well, I finished 3rd in the league thus warranting a free ride into the play off semis. Had a home game in the semi final and won that comfortably, then was away to League runner up York City in the Final and lost 1-0. Great season though, am now trying to tie down as many of the side as I can for a strong push in 2018/19.

The biggest advice I can give you about managing at that level is 'Keep it Simple'. 

I took over Chippenham who were tipped to finish bottom of the VNS but ended up creeping into the playoffs and winning them! During the season, I used a bog standard 4-4-2 and never used ANY team instructions. Played counter attack most matches as the team weren't the favourites to win many games. Bring in players with good mental stats for Determination, Teamwork, Concentration, Work Rate, and Composure. Don't worry too much about the technical stats as most players are poor at that level. 

The only player instruction I used was for the keeper to distribute the ball to the full backs. 

In terms of roles and duties, pretty much what the chap said before. A flat back four is best. If your fullbacks are comfortable with the fullback role (as opposed to just 'defensive full back') then use this with a support mentality. Both defenders on standard defend mentality. Two wingers in the MR/ML strata, both on support. A combination of playmaker/BWM or playmaker/BBM in the middle is usually suitable. I found it better to use a DLP on defend duty as they're good at covering the vacant DM position (and can also fill back into CB if a defender is caught upfield). 

It won't be the most exciting football to watch, but you'll generally get results. Getting players in with good mental stats is key, however. 

That's just one way to set it up at that level. The great thing about FM is about finding out what works best for you. But keeping it simple to start with can really help. Too many people think they have to use all the team instructions there. You don't. I'm in League 1 with Luton now (on the same save) and I still don't use any as standard and will only use them during a match to try and change things up. 

Well, the news is I got Spennymoor promoted after finishing 2nd in the play-offs next time around AND I made it to the FA Trophy final, losing 4-3 in extra time to Newport County (I was 3-2 with 3 mins to go, grrrrrr!!).

Anyway, did some mid season shopping and scouting and have started life in the Conference winning 4 and drawing 1 of my first 5 games and sit top of the tree!!!

Thanks to all for their input and advice, most appreciated.

Players who have made a difference: Connor Healey (Loaned from Mansfield), Joe Boyd (GK), Will Hatfield (Midfield); Andrew Nelson (STC); Chris Speed (STC); plus others whose names escape me right now.

Archived