Who to Start with

tomtjh90

Just got the new FM, have played it since CM98 so am a keen player... I usually enjoy rising up the leagues. Plan to do a Forest Green save in the future but looking to start a bit further up.

Options are-

Watford, West Ham, Leicester- Looking at these 3 Leicester's team is actually really good, if you sold a few players also you'd be rolling in cash to spend and should have a slightly higher rep for bring in good young players, West Ham lacking a bit in areas but again room to improve, I like the look of Watford, If you could raise some cash the have a good nucleas their and lesser ambitions first season so less pressure.

Wolves, Fulham, Leeds, Forrest- Like it in The Championship and all of these teams have decent squads and also room for improvement going forward.

14 minutes ago, Eckauskas said:

Genuinely don't understand why people just go for the top level clubs straight away.

Personally, I find it more enjoyable to start with someone like FC United than their giant namesakes.

I always feel with a top level club for the first couple of saves eases your way in to the game the know hows etc, but yeah If I had time (I work full time, have a small kid) I cant commit to a big save trying to get a Conference team to the Prem atm... 

I would go for Forrest and Leeds, two historic sleeping giants, should be a great challenge to get them to PL and make them great again. With the small amount of time you have I wouldn't go lower than Championship either.

I chose Leeds, finished 2nd behind Middlesbrough. Wolves played the best football against me all year by far ( inc 2 games vs Liverpool and 1 vs MU) and spanked us twice. ( We finished top scorers with 14th best defence) £34 million trns revenue for 2nd season (once promoted) 550k wages. Lasogga and Ezgan scored for fun. Defence was sh1t3! Not sure how Wolves compare but challenge for Leeds squad for me was finding a 2nd central player to score when rotating/resting lasogga and improving just about all coaching/scouts/medical staff. Hope that helps the choice...

On 11/16/2017 at 14:38, Eckauskas said:

Genuinely don't understand why people just go for the top level clubs straight away.

Personally, I find it more enjoyable to start with someone like FC United than their giant namesakes.

I definitely agree, I never like to start in the Premier League for example. I find LLM much more enjoyable.

However, I would go Forest for two reasons.

1. The weakest team on that list, going by previous finishes and knowledge. 

2. There’s a lot of history.

On 16/11/2017 at 14:38, Eckauskas said:

Depends what your goal is. For me, I don't get to play the game much so for me to turn a team into a champion league winning side would take all year, so starting further up the league means you're half way there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, well this year, I had started a game with Leeds United, but I did not finish conveying the english work permit system, I do not understand how it is that there are players who already playing in England, when sign it  with another English team is denies the work permit at sing and deal for other english club, I think it is absurd, if they came from outside he would understand it, but not when they already playing in England.

Well I want to start a new game, I guess it will be the one that plays, because my work schedule time it does not allow me to have life on week with what will surely be the only game, last year in FM2017 a season took a month in complete it that's why I have some doubts among some teams:

Leeds United: continue the game and return to the premier, and the pendent debt of winning the champions league,  in favor of the metal awards, the league and country reputation, and the attendance of the public, against the system of English work permits

Paris FC: My eternal match never finished, team for which I am very sympathetic, the goal to make the first team of Paris to win the Champions League, and take away the post to PSG, in favor because the signings are more benevolent, on the contrary there is no metal awards, the French league is weaker than the English or German and little attendance  publicin matches

Luton Town: My other game never finished for years, I aim to return to the premier 25 years later, and win all Premier and Champions League

Dynamo Dresden: Historical team of the DDR come to less, goal to make the first team of the former DDR to win the Bundesliga, in favor of the very good prizes in metal.

Dynamo Berlin: Historical German team, aim to make the first Berlin team and win the Champions League starting from the 4th category

Munich 1860: the objective to return to the Bundesliga and to oust the hated Bayern and make him champion of the Champion

Hampton: Goal to advance to the Premier League, win the premier and win the Champions League starting from the last English division, against very long game

Well I hope you help me decide, Paris tempts me a lot, but it makes me doubt the prestige of the French league and the theme of the awards in metal

Well I hope you help me decide, Paris tempts me a lot, but it makes the league's prestige much doubtful, the low attendance of spectators in the matches and the theme of the metal prizes

Sorry for my bad English

Gracias por la ayuda

Saludos

On 12/11/2017 at 23:40, luanpefe said:

Hello everyone, well this year, I had started a game with Leeds United, but I did not finish conveying the english work permit system, I do not understand how it is that there are players who already playing in England, when sign it  with another English team is denies the work permit at sing and deal for other english club, I think it is absurd, if they came from outside he would understand it, but not when they already playing in England.

Well I want to start a new game, I guess it will be the one that plays, because my work schedule time it does not allow me to have life on week with what will surely be the only game, last year in FM2017 a season took a month in complete it that's why I have some doubts among some teams:

Leeds United: continue the game and return to the premier, and the pendent debt of winning the champions league,  in favor of the metal awards, the league and country reputation, and the attendance of the public, against the system of English work permits

Paris FC: My eternal match never finished, team for which I am very sympathetic, the goal to make the first team of Paris to win the Champions League, and take away the post to PSG, in favor because the signings are more benevolent, on the contrary there is no metal awards, the French league is weaker than the English or German and little attendance  publicin matches

Luton Town: My other game never finished for years, I aim to return to the premier 25 years later, and win all Premier and Champions League

Dynamo Dresden: Historical team of the DDR come to less, goal to make the first team of the former DDR to win the Bundesliga, in favor of the very good prizes in metal.

Dynamo Berlin: Historical German team, aim to make the first Berlin team and win the Champions League starting from the 4th category

Munich 1860: the objective to return to the Bundesliga and to oust the hated Bayern and make him champion of the Champion

Hampton: Goal to advance to the Premier League, win the premier and win the Champions League starting from the last English division, against very long game

Well I hope you help me decide, Paris tempts me a lot, but it makes me doubt the prestige of the French league and the theme of the awards in metal

Well I hope you help me decide, Paris tempts me a lot, but it makes the league's prestige much doubtful, the low attendance of spectators in the matches and the theme of the metal prizes

Sorry for my bad English

Gracias por la ayuda

Saludos

I've actually done well with Paris FC so far. They were favorites for relegation to the third division but I managed to salvage a 9th place finish with that horrible squad. On top of the fact that there's no real quality in the first team or any potential at all (compared to the exciting youth at FCSM) and the really meagre transfer and wage budgets, it's a real challenge to build the squad. Ended up releasing half the squad after they ran their contracts down at the end of the first year and was left with nothing. From there I built my team around lesser prospects from the likes Real Madrid, Monaco and Bayern and some cheap Portuguese bargains (Trincao, Helder Ferreira, Andre Almeida). Won the league on goal difference but the board refuse to add to the wage budget or transfer budget.

Add to the fact they have pathetic finances and compared to PSG or Monaco there's just no way you can become favorites in France. I think it's one of the more challenging saves compared to those in the lower German or English leagues because Germany awards money on positions so you always get what you merit and it's easy enough to build a team and challenge at the highest level. The English teams always bore me because once you get to the premier league nothing's easier.

Im having a blast with auxerre.  Season 4 now.  Got promoted into top league and have had a 6th place and a 9th place finish.  Somehow won one of the cups so in europa this season. Ive signed nobody because im going to try to focus on my youth only.  Monaco and PSG thrash me but the rest i can battle with.   

I'm also looking to perhaps start a new save since my main save keeps crashing since the 18.2.0 update...

Looking for a team with a good, young backbone of domestic based players with a decent amount of money to play around with. Not a huge team, maybe a team just on the verge of breaking into Europa/Champions League places. Preferably not England or Italy as I have kind of done these before.

5 minutes ago, ChrisCo said:

I'm also looking to perhaps start a new save since my main save keeps crashing since the 18.2.0 update...

Looking for a team with a good, young backbone of domestic based players with a decent amount of money to play around with. Not a huge team, maybe a team just on the verge of breaking into Europa/Champions League places. Preferably not England or Italy as I have kind of done these before.

Real Sociedad could fit the bill. Not much cash but you can free some up selling older players - the season I played with them was decent fun. 

Funny you should mention them! I just loaded up FM and had a muck around and seen that they have a really good domestic based squad. Only issue was not much money to spend/not much to sell. And Carlos Vela going to LAFC when they form in 2018. Definitely tempted still to be them!

I wont pick a Team for a "serious" Save before i progressed a few years being unemployed. (Beside a few saves with Glasgow Rangers when they we're playing in lower Div)
Selecting as many Leagues as possible (with lower leagues) and leaving the Game progressing over night - sometimes 2 nights - i forward 10-15 years.
Then its up to look which Jobs are there and maybe there is a interesting choice to make.
This way i detach myself from knowing the players (and loving/hating them) who are relevant. Im just a mark for Borussia Dortmund, which i cant manage in any Series (playing since fm10).

Good days to look are around end of May, begin of June or if you are interested in calendar year leagues you should stop the Game between October and mid December.

Archived