[FM18] War! Huh! Waalwijk It Good For? Absolutely Nothing!

Deisler26

2017/18 Eredivisie Playoff Second Round, First Leg

10 May 2018

2045hrs, Mandermakers Stadion, Waawijk

RKC Waalwijk 0 2 Willem II Tilburg

Again, a wonderful atmosphere around the ground, with supporters turning the surrounding areas yellow and the supporters bar being utterly rammed with rowdy, yet polite supporters. This time we were up against Eredivisie opposition in the slumping Willem II Tilburg. It would be a good yardstick to whether we would survive going up. Serginho Greene, team leader would be retiring after this match, as he had accepted an offer to become my new Director of Football, following Johan Voskamp's retirement to my coaching staff earlier in the season. 

Hans Mulder would miss out due to concussion symptoms, but other than that we were fit and ready to go for the match. The teams were on the pitch, the whistle was blown and off we go!!

A relatively even first half was punctured in the most terrible fashion as first, on 41 minutes, a near post flick on was buried at the far post by the Willem II player to put us 0-1 down. Then two minutes later, Henrico Dost disastrously dithered on the edge of the area, allowing the £2m-rated Willem II striker to send a ball into the far post where the winger was rushing in to meet it. 0-2. Two goals in two minutes and we were utterly stunned.

Half-time came and went and we just played in a daze for the rest of the half. Willem II were content to do nothing, but sit back and we were content to do nothing but wander about in a trance. A poor second half came to an end, leaving us with a massive mountain to climb...

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2017/18 Eredivisie Playoff Second Round, Second Leg

16 May 2018

2045hrs, Koenig Willem-II Stadion, Tilburg

RKC Waalwijk 1 0 Willem II Tilburg (RKC lose 1-2 on aggregate)

Away to an Eredivisie side and two goals down from the first leg. Yeah. That'll be fun.

We battled hard from minute one. We had 16 shots on goal the whole game, but only six on target, including Eddie Nketiah's 41st minute goal, which proved to be the winner of the game, if not the tie. 

We fought and fought and fought, but a red card for a second yellow for Chidiebere Nwakali on 83 minutes just yanked the ground from under us..

Sorry that this isn't up to my usual standards (what standards?) Totally gutted about the result. We don't deserve to be promoted, but we're damn sure we should have at least taken this to penalties :(

200px-RKC_Waalwijk_logo.jpg

RKC Waalwijk 

2017/18 SEASON REVIEW

Well. That season is over. Full of highs and lows and I DEFINITELY do not want to experience those lows again. We ended up 11th in the Jupiler League, which was a great achievement, considering our pre-season predictions. Hopefully, I'll be able to sign a few of my loanees back for next year and start to bring through some of the youth to try and push us forward. My first real off-season should be a good one and I'm hoping we can come back stronger next year. A special congratulations to Eddie Nketiah who won the Jupiler League Golden Boot Award by some margin!

Final Table

Results

End of Season Awards: These are NOT the roles that they were played in btw...

End of Season Review: 29% capacity on the ground needs changing. We're gonna have to start packing them in. 

RKC Waalwijk 

AUGUST 2018 TRANSFER WINDOW

After last season's heroics, I wasn't looking to upset the apple cart with too many changes this season. Just a few bits of tinkering and we should be on the right path. I was given a brief to finish in the top half in the Jupiler League and reach the Second Round of the KNVB Beker. All with a £29k wage budget and no transfer money (for the first part of it). Doable, right??....

We kicked off the 2018/19 Jupiler League season with the visit of Jong Utrecht. Who were sent home with their bottoms glowing after the spanking of a lifetime. We raced into a four goal lead in the first 25 minutes, with Henrico Dost powering home a header from a corner with the first minute!. The King, Thierry Ambrose capped his return with a goal on 9 minutes, only for Daan Rienstra to top that with a swerving low smash from outside the box, just two minutes later! Finally, Kyle Ebecilio's driving run into the box and finish from 6 yards capped a stunning first half of the first half of the game as we ran out 4-0 winners.

Next to the slaughter were Jong AZ Alkmaar. This time we took a little longer to score four goals, we had to wait until the end of the first half. Free agent signing Bobby Adekanye got us on our way after 6 minutes with a low shot into the corner, then re-signed loanee Eddie Nketiah picked up where he left off last season by scoring a hat-trick. A Jong AZ goal late in the game meant nothing as we ran out 4-1 winners.

We weren't quite at our fluent best against SC Telstar at home, but a wonderful curling 25 yard free kick from Roel van der Sande, fresh back from his loan out last season gave us a 1-0 win. To cap off an excellent August, we downed FC Den Bosch in the local derby 2-0, despite only having one day off inbetween. Liverpool loanee Rhian Brewster hit the first and one of last season's disappointments Chuma hit the second, both goals coming in a three minute spell, a quarter the way through the game.

- Results - Table -

Transfers

After last season, I didn't want to upset the apple cart, so I re-signed Talith Chong (Manchester United) and Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal) to season-long loan deals. Two of last season's loanees were released by their respective clubs, so I swooped to sign winger Bobby Adekanye (ex-Liverpool) and attacking midfielder Kylian Hazard (ex-Chelsea) to deals. Also coming in on free transfers were USA fullback Tom Trevino, goalkeeper Stefan van der Lei, midfielder Dave Faber & defender Gino Demon. Coming in on loan were Manchester City pair Rodney Kongolo (DMC) and THE KING Thierry Ambrose. Also coming in on loan was Liverpool striking sensation Rhian Brewster. Finally, I paid £16.5k for a Tweede Divisie starlet, Walter Hardeveld, from AFC Amsterdam. I hope my scouts are right about him...

Leaving the club were Belgian winger Dylan Says. He was productive, but injury-prone and £110k from KAA Gent was a good price. Also leaving was goalie Jordy Deckers. He'd lost the starting role to Berezovskyi and when NAC Breda offered £175k for him, I snapped their arm off. We were then raided by the big boys. 16 year old DM Mick Lötters was snapped up for £500k + 50% sell on by PSV Eindhoven and 16 year winger Kaj de Vlugt was bought by Feyenoord Rotterdam for the princely sum of £1m + 50% sell on.

The real shocks came early in August as captain & heartbeat of the side Hans Mulder came to me and wanted out to PEC Zwolle. I agreed, as long as they stumped up £500k for him and that they did. I had the same issue with defender Jan Lammers and Willem II Tilburg (way to rub salt in the wounds, guys). He left for £250k.

- Transfers -

1 hour ago, MarcxD said:

Great start to the season, wow!

Really good transfers as well it seems like, talented loanees and big sums coming in.

To be honest, I didn't want to sell de Vlugt, but market forces demanded, plus I have cash for upgrades etc.

RKC Waalwijk 

JANUARY 2019 HALF-SEASON REVIEW

September started with a simple 2-0 victory over Go Ahead Eagles with goals in the first five minutes (Rodney Kongolo) and deep into injury time (Thierry Ambrose). However, perversely, I decided to stick with the same formation against the bottom club FC Dordrecht. Which cost me as they scored early, then on the counter late in the game to run out 0-2 winners.

Fan favourite Eddie Nketiah then scored 6 goals in the next 3 games, as we beat Almere City (2-0), Fortuna Sittard, (4-1) & the architects of last season's heartbreak Willem II Tilburg (3-1). Helmond Sport proved a sterner test as we battered them all game, but they escaped with a 0-0 draw. We then came up against the early leaders SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden. In a topsy-turvy match, we took the lead on 7 minutes through Thierry Ambrose's penalty, then went 1-2 down either side of HT. Thierry Ambrose tied it up half-way through the second, then popped up to seal his hat-trick in the 93rd minute to give us a 3-3 draw.

Eddie Nketiah came back from international duty and a match's-worth of rest to score FIVE goals at home to FC Oss as we ran out 6-1 winners. But we left it late to beat FC Volendam as Kyle Ebecillo popped up on the edge of the area to fire home on 81 minutes to give us a 1-0 win. We then hit our stutter. Four games without a win as we lost 0-2 to Jong PSV, came back twice to draw 2-2 with MVV Maastricht, dropped a heartbreaker in the 92nd minute, 1-2 to FC Emmen and then lost 0-1 to a 30 yard thunderbolt against Jong Ajax.

We got back to winning ways with a Kyle Ebecilio double in a 2-0 win over Roda JC Kerkade and Kyle Ebecilio popped up again in the next game with the winner in a 1-0 win over De Graafschap. The Jong AZ striker returned to haunt us as he hit a double to put them 0-3 up at HT. Eddie Nketiah scored a brace of his own, but to no avail as we lost 2-3.

Backup player Barry Maguire's second-half penalty gave us a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw against Jong FC Utrecht. We stopped that skid in it's tracks with a 5-1 win over SC Telstar with three goals coming in the last 5 mins + injury time of the game! A 0-0 draw with FC Den Bosch looked to see us heading in the right direction, however, a 90th minute free-kick thundered in from 25 yards saw us fall to a 2-3 defeat to Go Ahead Eagles and see us end January in 3rd place.

- Results - Table -

Transfers

We brought in a few during this transfer window. I needed a player that could cover Ebecilio in the Segundo Volante role, so I signed Go Ahead Eagles' Brem Soumaoro to a pre-contract, but spent the £45k necessary to bring him in early. Also, I had a bit of a coup, signing free-agent Norwegian midfielder Marius GodønessWe also signed a double from Liverpool, Brazilian midfielder Allan and Nigerian forward Taiwo AwoniyiFinally, due to the release of Stefan van der Lei and the shock £250k transfer offer from FC Dnipro for Igor Berezovskyi, I had to replace my goalie and it was ex-Ajax Amsterdam goalie Peter Leewuenburgh who came in, with Vaesen promoted to backup.

Selling-wise, we lost three young players, all with 50% sell on clauses. MC Dave Faber was sold to PEC Zwolle for £150k + 50% sell on, AMR Hans Nijkamp was sold for £50k, £84k in add-ons, along with a 50% sell on to NAC Breda. Finally, American DR Tom Trevino went for £100k, £175k with add-ons, along with a 50% sell on to sc Heerenveen.

Finally, we were hit by a shock bid for starting goalie Igor Berezovskyi from FC Dnipro. And £250k was too good an offer, so I sold him on.

RKC Waalwijk 

2019 YOUTH INTAKE

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 13.09.35

FULL INTAKE OVERVIEW

Hoooooly crap. I am in love with this intake. Not much in the way of help right now, but in the future, oh my...

Key prospects

1. Pieter Bruggeman GK
  2. Robert Drost DLC
  3. Mart de Graaf M/AML
  4. Vincent Schouten STC
  5. Erwin Schomaker DM/MC
  6. Anton De Vries STC 

This will be of great interest for me going forward, if nothing else, De Vries, de Graaf and Schouten will be transfer fodder for Eredivisie clubs and Bruggeman, Drost & Schomaker will be hopefully mainstays of the side for years to come. Schomaker will be trained as a Segundo Volante as soon as possible.

Voetbal Zaterdag

:onmehead:Gameday 35 Results: 'De Titelrace' :onmehead:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

De Graafschap 0-4 SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden

MVV Maastricht 2-0 Jong PSV Eindhoven

FC Emmen 1-1 RKC Waalwijk

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 19.42.17.png

Voetbal Zaterdag

:onmehead:Gameday 36 Results: 'De Titelrace' :onmehead:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden 1-1 Jong FC Utrecht

MVV Maastricht 1-0 FC Emmen

RKC Waalwijk 3-1 Jong Ajax

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 20.41.58.png

Voetbal Zaterdag

:onmehead:Gameday 37 Results: 'De Titelrace' :onmehead:

SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden 0-1 SC Telstar

MVV Maastricht 3-1 Roda JC Kerkade

RKC Waalwijk 7-1 De Graafschap

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 21.30.16.png

Voetbal Zaterdag

:onmehead:Gameday 38 Results: 'De Titelrace' :onmehead:

The whistles blew across the country and we kicked off Gameday 38 in the Jupiler League calendar

Let's go live to the presenters of 'Voetbal Zaterdag'

Team news is that RKC are missing 4 of their usual defence due to injury. This could be a serious issue going forward...

*peep*

4 mins: "Deep cross from the right.. He's got there before the defence...OOOHH.. The flick header crashes off the angle. Let-off for RKC!" CHANCE!

7 mins: "He's blown for a penalty! The referee has seen an incident in the box.. Yes, it looks like Van Weert tripped the attacker.. Penalty to Roda JC....GOAL! History is definitely repeating itself!!" Roda JC Kerkade 1-0 RKC Waalwijk

12 mins: "Quick Roda JC throw. Now it's whipped into the area. It's reaACHED THE STRIKERRRRR..OHHHHH...HE HIT THE POST!!" CHANCE!

18 mins: "Awful kick by Bruggeman, the young kid making his debut.. It's headed right back, the striker is clear......GOOD SAVE BY THE RKC KEEPER" CHANCE!

25 mins: "The defence is backing away, the MVV player lines up to shoot...OH MY, THAT IS SPECIAL..HE'S HIT THE NET FROM 20 YARDS AWAY!" GOAL! Jong Ajax 0-1 MVV Maastricht

39 mins: "Corner from the right, it's whipped in... AND BULLETED HOME BY THE RODA JC STRIKER! Great header, great GOAL!Roda JC Kerkade 2-0 RKC Waalwijk

----------------

Half Time

Jong AZ Alkmaar 0-0 SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden

Roda JC Kerkade 2-0 RKC Waalwijk

Jong Ajax Amsterdam 0-1 MVV Maastricht

-----------------

"It's make or break for the next 45 minutes, Jeff. SC Cambuur need a goal and fast. Also, as a little side plot to the main attraction today, if Willem II Tilburg don't match SC Telstar's result today, they will be relegated for the second season running, which is unheard of! I'll keep you updated! Back to you!"

"Thanks, Kristoffel! Guys, here in the studio, tell me. What has been RKC's problem this match? Ruud?"

"Well, Jeff, the fact that they are missing 4 of their 5 first choice defenders, including the goalie, should tell you all you have to know! You can't win without good communication and these guys just simply haven't played together enough!"

"Thanks Ruud, now back to pitchside!"

-------------------

55 mins: "SC Cambuur win the ball back in midfield... Looks up..OH, WHAT A PASS! HE'S THROUGH ON GOAL. ONE-ON-ONE...Skips round the keeper.. GOAL! He rolled it in from a tight angle..That'll have put the cat amongst the title pigeons" Jong AZ 0-1 SC Cambuur

"And just to let you know Jeff, Go Ahead Eagles have scored against Willem II! They are DOWN as we speak!"

64 mins: "...And that's a great header, the keeper could do nothing about it. GOAL! for Jong Ajax to tie it up and, if they didn't already know it, MVV know now that their title hopes are dead." Jong Ajax 1-1 MVV Maastricht

"The Helmond Sport player, with the chance to break Telstar hearts and repair WIllem II ones, steps up to take the penalty on 67 minutes.... IT'S SAVED! SAVED! WOW!" 

*PEEP*

'The final whistle has blown!! SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden are Jupiler League Champions! RKC will have to settle for the playoffs after an astonishing lack of fight from their players in this important match.. And WILLEM II TILBURG ARE RELEGATED!"

------------------------

FULL TIME

Jong AZ Alkmaar 0-1 SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden

Roda JC Kerkade 2-0 RKC Waalwijk

Jong Ajax Amsterdam 1-1 MVV Maastricht

------------------------

:seagull:

2018/19 Eredivisie Playoff First Round, First Leg

24 May 2019

2045hrs, JenS Vesting, Emmen

FC Emmen 3 RKC Waalwijk

It was time to pick ourselves up from our spectacular failure on the last day and try and go through the playoffs. Away to FC Emmen wasn't the easiest tie to have and without Eddie Nketiah, on U20 World Cup duty with England, we looked a little light up front. We were going with the asymmetric formation and 5 first team players were one yellow card away from a ban, so I told them to go easy on the tackles. 

A cloudy evening in Emmen awaited us and as the team was waiting to go out, I simply told them that they knew what they needed to do.

On 12 minutes, a catastrophic attempt at a back header found Rhian Brewster in acres of space, one-on-one with the keeper, but he fired well wide from 18 yards. Cue me smacking my forehead.. On 18 minutes, dithering on the edge of the box by Chong saw him tackled and the ball spread wide. Luckily, it was fired into the side netting. I shouted at them to concentrate.

We were smothering the play, but not really doing anything to attack. Rhian Brewster crumpled into a heap after a challenge on 32 minutes and had to be replaced by Taiwo Awoniyi. Then, on 41 minutes, a cutback to the FC Emmen fullback on the edge of the D saw him curl a spectacular strike into the top corner with Leeuwenburgh's despairing dive just inches away, 0-1.

Barely three minutes later, a hopeful low cross into the box saw the FC Emmen striker just get to the ball before the RKC defenders and flick it across goal into the far corner. 0-2. Jesus wept.

I hammered the whole team at HT, demanding that they get it right for the second half. I then sent them back out there,

On 51 minutes, a long ball was played out to Hazard on the left side of the box. As his marker came into challenge, he deftly skipped round him and headed inwards, before cutting back for Tahith Chong to thunder a shot that the keeper could only palm into the net. 1-2. We were back in it! Then, on 60 minutes, a deep free-kick from Acheampong saw the ball curled towards the edge of the box. Taiwo Awoniyi rose highest and his soft, guided header looped lazily towards the far corner of the goal and just arced in underneath the bar! 2-2!

Kyle Ebecilio picked up a booking on 74 minutes which ruled him out of the return leg DESPITE me telling him not to get stuck in. And it quickly returned to haunt us as from the resulting free-kick, an FC Emmen midfielder found himself free in the in the box and his crisp finish gave Leewuenburgh no chance. 2-3.

After that, it was all Emmen and we survived a few late chances until the whistle went.

Never mind I’m using my mobile can’t see that icon anywhere (apart from your screen shot). I’ll see if I can do it on my computer at home and hopefully it’ll link to my phone. Thanks though, oh and great save game wanting me to go back to Holland but I can’t drag myself out of Belgium. 

2018/19 Eredivisie Playoff First Round, Second Leg

24 May 2019

1930hrs, Mandemakers Stadion, Waalwijk

FC Emmen 3 RKC Waalwijk (6-6 on aggregate; RKC knocked out on away goals)

rkc.thumb.jpg.f21eba29c6bbb7ed64d728a2057ae5ce.jpg

So we were back at home for this vital clash. I took a walk round the ground to collect my thoughts and just stood, looking at the stadium for a while (shameless promotion of one of my own photos :lol:)

I'm expecting we should beat FC Emmen easily, but I cant expect anything, given our recent history of choking when we need to win.. No Eddie Nketiah (International duty), Rhian Brewster (Injured) or Kyle Ebecilio (Suspended), but we have no worries about yellow cards.

The crowd was a little disappointing, with near on 1800 unsold tickets for this fixture. But, those who were there were making a lot of noise. So much so, we could hear it in the dressing room. I told the boys to listen to that sound and go out there and give it all they had!

The whistle went and we were off..

With just three minutes on the clock, Allan swept the ball into Hazard, who looked up and played the ball to Taiwo Awoniyi on the edge of the box. He looked up and rolled the ball into the far corner. 1-0!

With 13 minutes gone, we had a free kick midway into their half. Allan squared it to Van der Sande. His chipped ball into the area was met by Geoffrey Acheampong who side-footed it home on the volley. 2-0. We were easily heading for the next round. However, on 26 minutes, a warning note was sounded as a long through ball saw the FC Emmen forward through on goal, however luckily he fired wide. 

On 35 minutes, Roel van der Sande returned the favour, as an interchange after a free kick saw Allan curl an absolute stunner past the Emmen keeper from 30 yards to make it  3-0. 

Finally, in first half injury time, a penalty box scramble saw Thierry Ambrose fire a shot that the keeper fumbled back out and he swept home the rebound to make it 4-0. Easy.

FC Emmen came out for the second half, all guns blazing and crashed a header off the bar on 53 minutes. They then hit the post again on 62 minutes. We had no reply for their ferocity. I subbed our striker and brought on 16 year old centre back Robert Drost. However, while we were awaiting the change to three at the back, FC Emmen got forward and managed to score one of their chances. 4-1

85 minutes and suddenly, all hell breaks loose. FC Emmen score a header from a corner to make it 4-2, leaving them needing just one goal to go through. Moments later, Geoffrey Acheampong saw red for his second yellow card offence. Sh*t.

4 minutes of extra time is put up on the board. I'm down to 10, playing defensive and a 4-1-4-0 formation.. Then, on 91 minutes, a lofted ball forward puts the ball on the FC Emmen striker's toe, about 20 yards out, with two defenders covering him. He takes a step and lashes it into the top corner. 4-3. PANIC STATIONS.

Seconds to go and Kylian Hazard picks up the ball from a weak Emmen clearance... He looks up, hits a good shot, it's beaten the out-of-position keeper...and hits the bar and flicks over the top.. the final whistle blew.. We were out.

Archived