The 2017 FMS Awards - A Trip to Julian Assange's Hideaway (A Little Piece of Ecuador)

tenthreeleader

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Award #12 - Writer of the Year

The crème-de-la-creme of FMS awards. Need I say more? It’s a select group that’s won this one, and this year’s competition is proof that even if we don’t see the same number of stories that we used to see at times, the caliber of writing and the quality of writer are still as good as ever.

Some of the best members of the boards have been bestowed this honour, with some winning it on multiple occasions. This is the highest honor on the board apart from being inducted into the FMS Hall of Fame.

Goodness me. I thought tenthreeleader would win that award in perpetuity, so to pip him to FMS' top story honour is quite humbling.

I've been writing FM stories for 14 years, and the Romford/Elgoibar/Dagenham trilogy for more than four. I never thought that my work would get the recognition that it has received tonight.

Thank you. You are far too generous.

And our final award of the evening ...

Special Announcement: FMS Hall of Fame 2017

This is the highest honor FMS can bestow, for excellence over a career. The Hall of Fame has but four members: Raptor, Peacemaker7, flipsix3 and tenthreeleader.

There are six excellent writers up for inclusion into this august body, even though it’s October. We never sleep. Here they are:

Writers Hall of Fame Nominees:

Terk
mark wilson27
Amaroq
gavrenwick
Faramir
Spav

The FMS story hall of fame is scarcely larger than the writers’ HOF, with one of the caveats being that the story to be nominated must be finished. That’s problematic given the ever-changing nature of the game and understandable desire of writers to play the newest version. Having the wherewithal to see a story through to its conclusion is hard. We have two nominees this year:

Story Hall of Fame Nominees:

Sharpening a Rusty Blade Amaroq

American Calcio Padova FM 2008 Repost tenthreeleader

1 minute ago, tenthreeleader said:

It's the year of the new blood, which is good for the boards. Congratulations to Dave and Chris for writing consistent, quality work. 

Move over, old man. The 90s kids are here to stay! :D

I kid, of course, but in an era where FMS' popularity is steadily declining, it's good to see that the bar is still being raised in terms of the quality of storywriting. EvilDave is one of the best FM story writers I've ever come across, no questions asked.

You're right there. I have my kids waiting for me this afternoon for a day with their dad that is all too rare with me working away from home. After Mark posts the last award I shall bid you good evening.

Chris .. thank you for all you did today. It shows dedication and I want you to know I appreciate it. Well done.

Just now, tenthreeleader said:

You're right there. I have family waiting for me this afternoon for a day with their dad that is all too rare with me living away from home. After Mark posts the last award I shall bid you good evening.

Chris .. thank you for all you did today. It shows dedication and I want you to know I appreciate it. Well done.

Hey, I'll always be around for these awards ceremonies. And if it wasn't for me, this thread would just be two mods talking amongst themselves! :D

Since 2011 we have not had a new member of the FMS Hall of Fame and this year we are in the same boat with none of the nominees reaching the magic 66% of the votes with five of the six nominees earning 33%.

The same goes with the Hall of Fame Story vote as neither reached the 66%

However their is always next year

2 minutes ago, tenthreeleader said:

You're right there. I have family waiting for me this afternoon for a day with their dad that is all too rare with me living away from home. After Mark posts the last award I shall bid you good evening.

Thankyou for the write up sir and enjoy the rest of your day with the family

PLATT: I'll be on my way, then. I need to attend a football training seminar at Bisham Abbey in the evening. Thanks for having me.

Cheers for coming along, David. And thank you for acting with more decorum than a certain Swiss-Italian football administrator.

CATTERALL: I'm gonna log off as well. I haven't spoken to Jenny all day, and I need to Skype her before I hit the sack, or I'll be the doghouse come tomorrow night. Cheers.

Thank you as well, Mark.

And no new inductees into the Hall of Fame again. That really is a shame. :(

With every Award Ceremony we have the three main Awards, which are CM/FMS'er of the Year, Writer of the Year and Story of the Year. We also have every so often someone earning their place in the FMS Hall of Fame. So here is the current list from 2004 to date

| Year | The Terk/Raptor/Wilson  | Writer of Year | Story of Year                                              | Hall of Fame   |
|      |     Builder’s Award     |                |                                                            |                |               
|------|-------------------------|----------------|------------------------------------------------------------|----------------|  

| 2004 | Simon F                 | BobBev         | Silver_blue just bit me! (Donners)                         | N/A            | 
|------|-------------------------|----------------|------------------------------------------------------------|----------------|

| 2005 | Terk                    | Faramir        | Leaving the past behind (FM edition) (Flipsix3) (HOF 2010) | N/A            | 

| 2006 | Peacemaker7             | Peacemaker7    | To Boldly Go As Faroe As We Can Go... (Peacemaker7)        | N/A            | 

| 2007 | Terk                    | Amaroq         | Sharpening a Rusty Blade (Amaroq)                          | Peacemaker7    |

| 2008 | Terk                    | tenthreeleader | American Calcio Padova FM 2008 (tenthreeleader)            | N/A            | 

| 2009 | tenthreeleader          | tenthreeleader | Rob Ridgway’s “Rat Pack” (tenthreeleader)                  | Raptor         | 

| 2010 | Terk                    | copperhorse21  | Cheating the Reaper: A Copper Horse "Tail" (copperhorse21) | flipsix3       | 

|      |                         | gavrenwick     | Tina's Super Saints of Paisley (gavrenwick)                |                | 

| 2011 | mark wilson27           | mark wilson27  | A Tale of Two Brothers (offspring08)                       | tenthreeleader |

|      | tenthreeleader          |                | Luton Town: Staring Into The Abyss (ScottLeeSV)            |                | 

| 2012 | mark wilson27           | mark wilson27  | The Ace of Spades (tenthreeleader)                         | N/A            |

|      |                         | tenthreeleader |                                                            |                | 

| 2013 | N/A                     | N/A            | N/A                                                        | N/A            | 

| 2014 | N/A                     | N/A            | N/A                                                        | N/A            | 

| 2015 | mark wilson27           | tenthreeleader | [FM15] Malone Again, Naturally (tenthreeleader)            | N/A            | 
| 2016 | mark wilson27           | tenthreeleader | [FM15] Raising Cain (tenthreeleader)                       | N/A            | 
| 2017 | mark wilson27           | EvilDave       | House of Flying Daggers (CFuller)                          | N/A            | 

Alright, I'm going to log off in a few minutes. lollujo's live Football Manager stream will not watch itself.

Before I go, I have to leave you with a couple more pieces of music/eye candy. This first one is not quite as high-brow as Caro Emerald, but it's still decent enough to listen to.

In honour of our host Julian Assange, please be upstanding for the national anthem of Australia.

Awards Table:

| Awards Won | Username                        | Main | Misc | Geographical | Defunct | 
|------------|---------------------------------|------|------|--------------|---------|
|     31     | tenthreeleader                  |  15  |  12  |      4       |    0    |
|------------|---------------------------------|------|------|--------------|---------| 
|     24     | Peacemaker7                     |  14  |   1  |      7       |    2    |
|     15     | Raptor                          |   5  |   2  |      4       |    4    |   
|     15     | Terk                            |   8  |   4  |      2       |    1    |     
|     15     | mark wilson27                   |   7  |   6  |      2       |    0    |       
|     11     | BobBev                          |   4  |   6  |      1       |    0    |       
|     10     | Spav                            |   4  |   3  |      3       |    0    |       
|     10     | flipsix                         |   2  |   1  |      7       |    0    |     
|     10     | gavrenwick                      |   5  |   3  |      2       |    0    |      
|      9     | Faramir                         |   1  |   2  |      6       |    0    |    
|      9     | copperhorse21                   |   4  |   4  |      1       |    0    |      
|      7     | CFuller                         |   1  |   4  |      2       |    0    |      
|      6     | EvilDave                        |   1  |   4  |      1       |    0    |      
|      5     | Amaroq                          |   3  |   1  |      1       |    0    |      
|      5     | chesterfan2                     |   2  |   2  |      1       |    0    |      
|      5     | Dixie Flatline                  |   0  |   3  |      2       |    0    |     
|      4     | Flann O'Brien                   |   2  |   0  |      1       |    1    |      
|      4     | Andrew Downing                  |   1  |   2  |      1       |    0    |      
|      4     | King Jeff                       |   1  |   2  |      1       |    0    |    
|      4     | displaced_seagull               |   1  |   0  |      3       |    0    |     
|      4     | HD                              |   1  |   2  |      0       |    1    |    
|      4     | Dalbeider                       |   0  |   2  |      2       |    0    |     
|      4     | spurzgrrl                       |   0  |   1  |      2       |    1    |      
|      4     | Elrithral                       |   0  |   2  |      2       |    0    | 
|      3     | SCIAG                           |   2  |   0  |      1       |    0    |  
|      3     | nickgreenan                     |   1  |   0  |      0       |    2    |   
|      3     | Educated Hick                   |   0  |   1  |      2       |    0    |     
|      3     | benny                           |   0  |   1  |      1       |    1    |       
|      3     | Ell_G                           |   0  |   1  |      1       |    1    |       
|      2     | Brian of Nazareth               |   1  |   1  |      0       |    0    |     
|      2     | binny                           |   1  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      2     | Donners                         |   1  |   0  |      1       |    0    |     
|      2     | maollelujah                     |   1  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      2     | OMDave                          |   1  |   0  |      1       |    0    |       
|      2     | mikezone13                      |   1  |   0  |      0       |    1    |      
|      2     | Chonner                         |   1  |   1  |      0       |    0    |      
|      2     | mametz1536                      |   1  |   0  |      1       |    0    |     
|      2     | ScottleeSV                      |   1  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      2     | Brian W                         |   0  |   1  |      1       |    0    |      
|      2     | Gino                            |   0  |   1  |      1       |    0    |    
|      2     | ghostwriter                     |   0  |   0  |      2       |    0    |     
|      2     | Harry Kure with the corner kick |   0  |   0  |      2       |    0    |    
|      2     | Charnley                        |   0  |   0  |      1       |    1    |     
|      2     | silver_blue                     |   0  |   0  |      0       |    2    |      
|      2     | Lionel Perez                    |   0  |   1  |      1       |    0    | 
|      2     | Wimb the Barman                 |   0  |   1  |      1       |    0    |  
|      2     | -Xenon-                         |   0  |   0  |      2       |    0    |   
|      2     | Makonnen                        |   0  |   1  |      1       |    0    |     
|      2     | Celtic_1967                     |   0  |   0  |      2       |    0    |       
|      1     | STFCDP_1990                     |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |       
|      1     | LukeMorgan88                    |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |     
|      1     | Richey                          |   1  |   0  |      0       |    0    |      
|      1     | Sebs                            |   1  |   0  |      0       |    0    |     
|      1     | Steve 'Wall                     |   1  |   0  |      0       |    0    |      
|      1     | Bari for the Scudetto           |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |       
|      1     | Offspring08                     |   1  |   0  |      0       |    0    |      
|      1     | gandycoleuk                     |   1  |   0  |      0       |    0    |      
|      1     | Bozz                            |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |     
|      1     | Dittohead                       |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |      
|      1     | Jack O'Sullivan                 |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |      
|      1     | Soldout                         |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |    
|      1     | Tricky Winger                   |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |     
|      1     | JimT                            |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |    
|      1     | 13litZ                          |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |     
|      1     | Attjen                          |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      1     | Bad Dog                         |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    | 
|      1     | boo radley2                     |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |  
|      1     | Dark_Soccer                     |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |   
|      1     | Euan                            |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |     
|      1     | glamdring                       |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |       
|      1     | Harleqin                        |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |       
|      1     | Jambo_4eva                      |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |     
|      1     | Juni                            |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      1     | Kazema                          |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |     
|      1     | McRob                           |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      1     | nerf                            |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |       
|      1     | Orang_Utan Stan                 |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      1     | SirFozzie                       |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      1     | Texan                           |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |     
|      1     | The RingMaster                  |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      1     | Abe Lenstra                     |   0  |   0  |      0       |    1    |      
|      1     | bartley_m                       |   0  |   0  |      0       |    1    |    
|      1     | Reddiablo                       |   0  |   0  |      0       |    1    |     
|      1     | Silverfox                       |   0  |   0  |      0       |    1    |    
|      1     | irishregan                      |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |     
|      1     | Marmoset Junior                 |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      1     | Gricehead                       |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      1     | Panpardus                       |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |      
|      1     | edtheguy                        |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |      
|      1     | neilhoskins77                   |   0  |   0  |      1       |    0    |      
|      1     | JoeyBaldwin                     |   0  |   1  |      0       |    0    |      

Oh, hang on... CHVRCHES have finally arrived, just as we're packing up! Quick, get the stage set up again!

Cheers for coming along, Lauren and co. At least there are three Scots we can rely on...

Goodnight, everyone. I'll see you again tomorrow, with the latest installment from the 2017 FMS Story of the Year! :D

2 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

And the winner is by a country mile..........

A Northeastern Lad by our other American @copperhorse21...Please Mr.Putin hand over the award

Thank you for the votes.  It was not expected.  In fact, when I wrote the story, it was the precursor to a save I wanted to do with Gateshead.  However, I got caught up in working out how someone started their managerial career and I never even got to the save I played.  That is for another story.  Maybe I will write it, but when you are working off the FM08, it's probably considered too obsolete with FM18 coming out soon.

Thanks for keeping the forum going and I've been delighted by the videos throughout the early part of the ceremony!  Brilliant!

Incidentally, anyone play FM Touch?  I'm thinking that might be the next version of the game I play.

Congratulations to all the worthy winners.  While the ceremony was not well attended, the quality of the writing done by the award-winning recipients is still top notch.

5 minutes ago, copperhorse21 said:

Maybe I will write it, but when you are working off the FM08, it's probably considered too obsolete with FM18 coming out soon.

The current FMS Story of the Year is based off an FM13 save. If the story’s strong enough, you’ll have a strong readership,

6 minutes ago, copperhorse21 said:

Incidentally, anyone play FM Touch?  I'm thinking that might be the next version of the game I play.

My relationship with FM Touch last year was brief and notoriously bad - seven games, seven defeats.

I won’t be pre-ordering FM18 and probably won’t even get round to buying it, but I’m seriously tempted to give either FMT or FMM a go on my iPad. That said, after nearly five years of playing FM almost non-stop, I’m starting to burn out somewhat and may want to play some other games instead.

10 hours ago, displaced_seagull said:

Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks for the efforts in organising :thup:

Thankyou displaced.

9 hours ago, copperhorse21 said:

Thank you for the votes.  It was not expected.  In fact, when I wrote the story, it was the precursor to a save I wanted to do with Gateshead.  However, I got caught up in working out how someone started their managerial career and I never even got to the save I played.  That is for another story.  Maybe I will write it, but when you are working off the FM08, it's probably considered too obsolete with FM18 coming out soon.

Thanks for keeping the forum going and I've been delighted by the videos throughout the early part of the ceremony!  Brilliant!

Congratulations to all the worthy winners.  While the ceremony was not well attended, the quality of the writing done by the award-winning recipients is still top notch.

copper a well deserved award and fully enjoyable story of yours. All the winners last night fully deserved their awards.

I use FM Touch with alot of my stories as I don't really have the time to play a full in-depth game.I personally haven't had any problems with it and it does help you get through a season pretty damn quick

Just checking in from Karakol to see what happened last night and... wow!

Without going all Oscars-acceptance on you guys, I'm genuinely shocked and honoured - thank you. As has been said already, there is some real high-quality writing on these forums, so to be counted as up there with the best of you is rather humbling. That said, I'm particularly pleased with Owain sharing Best Character with Kyle Cain - I started his trilogy precisely to get better at writing people as people rather than plot devices, so thank you for the huge encouragement!

Well done to all those who took home awards - to stalwarts @CFuller, @mark wilson27, @tenthreeleader and @copperhorse21, first-but-almost-certainly-not-last-timers @neilhoskins77, @JoeyBaldwin, and the much-missed @Terk - you all make this place somewhere worth logging on to from the middle of Central Asian nowhere, and push us all to keep improving. Sorry I couldn't be 'at' the ceremony, huge thanks to Mark, 10-3 and Mr Fuller for the entertainment, and roll on next year - may the awards be even more competitive in 2018!

PS. Mark, in the table it shows I have five awards but 1+4+1=6...

20 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

And without any interference at all the winner is

The Impossible Dream: An International Football Experiment by neilhoskins77 who for some reason can't be here today. Probably gone to the wrong embassy 

20 hours ago, CFuller said:

Yeah, congrats from me as well. One of the nicest fellas on FMS.

Just back from a family weekend in Dorset with zero Wi-Fi and limited 3G and 4G. Managed to check in briefly last night, more in hope than expectation, and needless to say, I was absolutely delighted to win my first ever FMS award. Many thanks to all those who have taken some time to read or vote for my story. It's very much appreciated, as are the kind words.

I'd like to add my congratulations to all the winners, but in particular two of my favourite writers @CFuller and @EvilDave who walked away with the big awards, and @mark wilson27 who as always, did a fine job organising, and polices our small corner of the internet very efficiently.

The work that goes in to all the stories on these Boards is immense, and the standard simply doesn't drop. To win something was not expected at all, so thanks again everyone. 

Well, looks like I missed a good show. But then I was in Bangkok, getting drunk and limping home...

(Hmm, looks like we have a location for next year's awards then. :D)

Anyway, congrats to all winners, as well as everyone who help put this together, especially @mark wilson27. Great stuff chaps.

• 1 month later...

Just seen this, flattered to have won the award for Best Newcomer! Thanks very much for those who voted and congratulations to the other award winners.

Been struggling to find the time of late to finish stories I started over the last few months, but hopefully over the Christmas holidays I'll have more time to carry these on.

Thanks very much!

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to be a moaning minnie, but I'm sure I've won 2 awards.

I think I won Best International Story for 'Down & Out in South Africa' and either Best Celtic or Best Rest of the World (depending on that year's category) for 'Jumping Through Hoops.'

7 hours ago, Celtic_1967 said:

I'm sorry to be a moaning minnie, but I'm sure I've won 2 awards.

I think I won Best International Story for 'Down & Out in South Africa' and either Best Celtic or Best Rest of the World (depending on that year's category) for 'Jumping Through Hoops.'

Table has been updated, apologies from me sir

Archived