Promoted too quickly?

I'm managing Chester and within four seasons I have made it to the Championship

However I've noticed no one decent will sign for me, even players who came on loan to me in league one are now rejecting me for other sides.

I've also noticed my players star ratings have gone up when usually they would decrease on promotion. I've also noticed other non Chester players who were low rated whilst in league one are now showing as high star players since I've been promoted

Is this some sort of bug?

Ive not been able to upgrade any of my facilities since I was in the Conference but that didn't stop players wanting to come before?

some of my players who were 2 star with 4/5 potential, have all of a sudden become 4.5 star with 5 star potential

just from being promoted from league one to the championship. that cant be right?

has something happened that will have affected this? all my staff are the same as the season before

6 hours ago, xtradj said:

some of my players who were 2 star with 4/5 potential, have all of a sudden become 4.5 star with 5 star potential

just from being promoted from league one to the championship. that cant be right?

has something happened that will have affected this? all my staff are the same as the season before

the star ratings, as far as i am aware, are based on your squad of players. so a 2 star changing to a 4 star means they have become one of the better players in your team. that could be because they have got better or your squad has got worse, who knows...

1 hour ago, lemeuresnew said:

the star ratings, as far as i am aware, are based on your squad of players. so a 2 star changing to a 4 star means they have become one of the better players in your team. that could be because they have got better or your squad has got worse, who knows...

It doesn't make sense though because players I released in the summer were 2 stars yet now they are five stars available on a free?

11 hours ago, chestermike said:

yes you can get promoted too quickly with Chester. When I get to the championship I usually struggle for a year or 2 before I can have some more success.

ps who did Sam Hughes go to in your game?

Released him at the end of the second season and he went to Stockport

I have noticed this strange effect upon clinching promotion also. All of a sudden not many players are interested in joining your team - even players who were interested in joining literally the day before you secured promotion are suddenly uninterested. This shows up in the star ratings too - players the scouts wouldn't recommend highly before you got promotion all of a sudden can be 5 star players.

I have found about a month or two into the season, suddenly this 'weight' is lifted, and you can get more players you want again including loan signings. I don't know what the reason is for this, and would be interested if SI could explain why this happens a lot.

7 hours ago, xtradj said:

Released him at the end of the second season and he went to Stockport

Wow that's madness. On most of the games I have had he ends up at Ipswich, stoke or Burnley, often for a 5 figure fee. Only 1 game I seen him stay at Chester for his entire career. Did he not develop? Did he get a serious injury?

On a separate note, did Matty waters do anything for you? He must have random PA in the database, seen him to go league 1 sides and have a solid career and on others I've seen him released and retire.

8 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

Maybe a silly Q, but have you checked your Club Rep now & then?

It is a silly question because ive explained above.

i understand club Rep however in league one I could attract top premierleague loan players. Now since being promoted to the championship the best players I can get are from league one/two.

all the players I can sign that were previously 2/3 stars are now 4/5 stars even though they are in league one and two. All my squad had a huge boost in star ratings upon promotion when in fact they should be less as in in a higher quality division now (bar a few who naturally progress)

6 hours ago, chestermike said:

Wow that's madness. On most of the games I have had he ends up at Ipswich, stoke or Burnley, often for a 5 figure fee. Only 1 game I seen him stay at Chester for his entire career. Did he not develop? Did he get a serious injury?

On a separate note, did Matty waters do anything for you? He must have random PA in the database, seen him to go league 1 sides and have a solid career and on others I've seen him released and retire.

Waters ended up at Brackley

1 hour ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

You can never be promoted too quickly. You should always strive to do as well as you can.

Debatable. In my current save, I've had 2 consecutive promotions from National League North. Friend thinks I can go for 3rd, but I'm actually a little reluctant about pushing for it. I'd much rather spend a season in League 2 letting the club reputation and wage budgets catch up a bit before I push for League 1 so that I can actually build a squad that can compete in it when I get there. Our rep currently ranks below 13 teams in the National League despite being a division above them. What League 1 quality player wants to go to a club that tiny. It's a miracle I've brought together League 2 players on wages as low as £700pw.

8 hours ago, xtradj said:

It is a silly question because ive explained above.

i understand club Rep however in league one I could attract top premierleague loan players. Now since being promoted to the championship the best players I can get are from league one/two.

all the players I can sign that were previously 2/3 stars are now 4/5 stars even though they are in league one and two. All my squad had a huge boost in star ratings upon promotion when in fact they should be less as in in a higher quality division now (bar a few who naturally progress)

`Our rep currently ranks below 13 teams in the National League despite being a division above them.`

You maybe need to get your Club Rep up in other ways - Facilities / Staff etc.

Technically you can get promoted "too quickly". You can also massively overperform with poor players whilst doing so. For doing that you would usually need to break the game usually though. Either by gaming the match engine, or editing. At that point all kinds of stuff can happen. Boards never agreeing on upgrading facilities. Players scoring plenty goals only if at all attract interest from divisions below. The star player edited into the 2nd division side never getting called up for his national side again. The player breaking any kind of scoring record never getting considered for major awards, etc. The reason of which being that players aren't merely rated by their performance in isolation, but also their actual ability -- in the player's case probably for the better, as the players would never perform at any other club. Reputation also rises slowly both for club and players, affecting stuff further. This seems reported by someone every year in some way or another, and edits I do myself for testing stuff / fun experiments.

The above sounds different naturally though. How quickly are we talking about here anyway?

13 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

You can never be promoted too quickly. You should always strive to do as well as you can.

Yes and no. I remember one save where I was promoted to the Spanish 2nd tier in my 2nd season. By Christmas, I had 2 points. Because of my low rep and chances of going straight back down (which I did, not that it should be any surprise given that I was on 2 points at Christmas) no one wanted to come and the 2 or 3 loans didn't perform. But it worked really well for my young players (by March, I thought 'sod it' and played all my good prospects), who thrived once down in the 3rd tier and I was straight back up as champions the next season

5 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

`Our rep currently ranks below 13 teams in the National League despite being a division above them.`

You maybe need to get your Club Rep up in other ways - Facilities / Staff etc.

Exactly. This is why making a push for the playoffs would be suicidal on my part, if I miraculously went up again, I'd be coming straight back down which feels like a bit of a waste to me, and why you can get promoted too quickly. The boosts from winning promotion aren't enough on their own and the club needs time to actually develop facilities, etc to catch up to the level of the division it's in. I did a massive backroom staff overhaul in the offseason and while I was waiting for all of them to sign, the players I approached all demanded an improvement to the coaching staff. They were quickly appeased because I was already on it, but it demonstrates that the players in the game thought we were still some tinpoint National League side.

On 20/04/2017 at 01:06, xtradj said:

I'm managing Chester and within four seasons I have made it to the Championship

However I've noticed no one decent will sign for me, even players who came on loan to me in league one are now rejecting me for other sides.

I've also noticed my players star ratings have gone up when usually they would decrease on promotion. I've also noticed other non Chester players who were low rated whilst in league one are now showing as high star players since I've been promoted

Is this some sort of bug?

Ive not been able to upgrade any of my facilities since I was in the Conference but that didn't stop players wanting to come before?

The star rating is based on the standard of players you have at the club (a three star player would be average compared to the rest of your team for example) with some weighting towards the division you are in and your expectations.

However I've found the star ratings tend to break down a little bit if your entire team just isn't good enough for the division you are in, which is what I expect has happened to you, you said previously you had players onloan from Premier League sides these players likely had Prem/Champ Potentials putting them at a five star potential and shifting all your star ratings down a little bit, now that they have gone the game has adjusted your remaining players ratings which has likely caused them to increase purely because the higher potential players have gone, though once you have managed to sign a couple of better players you should see the star ratings drop back down (well unless it is because you staff member has poor judging skills in that case you might need a better staff member).

What you can do is check a couple of scout or coach reports and in them if you have enough knowledge of the player it should tell you they are a decent/good/leading player for [INSERT DIVISION] - use this to work out what level each star is corresponding to until they settle. (I tend to use this line in the reports more than the stars as the stars are just a rough guide).

Archived