Rome wasn't built in a day

Muttley84

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/24/2017 at 12:23, mark1985 said:

Enjoying this save and you're looking good in Serie B. Always fancied a Roman save with a homegrown challenge but opted for Switzerland instead. In bocca al lupo!

Thanks for that. I considered at first to do it youth-academy only but it would have been a much to massive task ahead, so settled for this.

On 4/24/2017 at 12:53, Wynters said:

Nice start to the save so far! If you can get promotion that'll definitely be impressive. 

Any standout players that can already play in the Serie A or will you be dumping most of the squad?

Actually our pair of central midfielders in Christian D'Urso and Lorenzo Vasco are prett solid, but unfortunately they are both loaned from AS Roma. Most likely a complete overhaul of the need will be needed in the case of a fortunate promotion. 

A perfect month for us! Sure, we have lost the first game against Palermo, but they are a team from a totally other league than the rest of Serie B. We have won the other 4 games against more normal teams, though the wins against Cremonese and FeralpiSalo were totally undeserved, the draw would have been more realistic for what happened on the pitch. 

9JwKp.png

Following this we have moved now into a direct promotion place, 3 points away from Perugia. Still enough games to go so anything can happen. Fingers crossed.

9J3so.png

Thanks, but no thanks. After Lazio I have to decline a contract offer from AS Roma also.

9xzBy.png

Just now, BoxToBox said:

Some impressive work, but also impressive job offers!

Yeah, but to be Fair, I did give Fabio Grosso his real reputation of international footballer, and he did won a World Cup, maybe that's why the big boys have come after him so fast.

We started the month with a bang! A spectacular 5-4 at home against Benevento who were sitting pretty high in the league. Actually this month we only met teams from the top part of the table. After the spectacular game at home followed three Italian style games, two 0-0 away at Spezia and most important our main contenders at the moment Perugia, and a scrappy 2-1 win at home against Crotone (we took and early lead and then shivered for the result in the second part).

9Jcli.png

We are still in second place, but 13 points away from Palermo so its safe to say this is the highest we can be. Following us so close (just 1 point between each positions) are Perugia and Carpi.

9JMDZ.png

We are closing in to the end of the season, and a tough April for us with no less than 6 games. We are pleased that off these we won 3 and draw 3. Furthermore, in 4 of these games we haven't conceded. You know how they say attacks win you games and defense wins you promotion from Serie B. Or something like that. 

9ZWMN.png

With 3 games to go from the league we are still in a direct promotion spot, with 2 points ahead of Perugia and its seems it's gonna be between us and them to the end. We are meeting relegation-battlers Ascoli and Verona away and promotion contenders Carpi at home in the last games, so it wont be an easy task for sure.

9ZhIK.png

Unfortunately our unbeaten run came to an end just when we needed to perform the most. We lost the game at Ascoli and afterwards we only pulled off a scrappy draw at home against Carpi. In the last game of the season we managed a win away at Verona, but over an all an disappointing month. With Perugia breathing down our back and we only managed 4 points from a total o nine.

9mtUK.png

Lucky for us, so did they! Perugia also won just 1 and drew 1 and so at the end of the regular season we finish in 2nd and therefore gain promotion to Seria A at the first time of asking. Palermo finished 17 points ahead of us and with only 2 defeats all season they surely deserved that. But so did we, although we have won most of the games in Italian style. We did not scored a lot, an indication of this being that our main goalscorer Jacopo Manconi only amassed 13 this season.

9mvrj.png

Having 4 loan players in the season's best eleven is not very indicative of our future as a club, but so far I am content with using a slash and burn strategy regarding our rooster and constantly improving it each summer. However, I will try to sign them all on either loans or permanent deals, just like a sentimental appreciation of what they did for the club. Christian D'Urso has been our best player this season and I will be delighted if he would chose to continue with us.

9mb2s.png

9mmDN.png

Fabio Grosso has been offered a new 2 year contract worth 263k/year but with a relegation reduce clause. Guess the board is not very confident in our chances in staying up next season. However, they did started this summer an upgrade on our training facilities worth around 2 m (dunno where did they get the money for it).

With a wage budget for next season at only 4.3 million yearly we will for sure be the smallest club in the league. I will be looking to offload some of the 3.2 million in the transfer budget to the wages so we can build a competitive team with free signings and loans mainly. We might be a small club, but Crotone has proved this spring in real life that you can at least put up a real fight for survival and hope you succeed in doing it.

Next year, Seria A for Lupa Roma. Prepare for the new Roma derbies!

Shhould I say that we were the only Roman team to actually achieve something this season? In the league AS Roma and Lazio finished in disappointing 10th and 13th, which combined with their early exit from Coppa Italia means no European football for them next season. So on that regard we are already level with them :). Lazio after being eliminated by Valencia from the Champions Qualifying dropped to a run in the Europa League all the way to the quarter-final which they lost against Napoli.

Pointless to say who won the title in Italy this season, as Juve does another convincing performance. Cesena, Genoa and Salernitana make the trip back to serie B, only to be replaced by Palermo, Lupa Roma and Carpi (who won the promotion playoff). Also, nice for Fabio Grosso to won manager of the year award as a confirmation for the wonders he did at Lupa Roma. Dunno if in the history of modern football there has ever been three teams from the same city in the top tier of Italy.

9vexM.png

9vlkI.png

Already signed some players in preparation of the next season. All of them had expiring contracts and agreed to join us. But what do you say about that youth intake we had this summer? It's the first time ever playing FM (even with the touch version) that I get a single (1) player from the intake.

9v0ip.png

9vk7D.png

Our finances aren't looking great at the moment, but I do hope that all the money from the rich Seria A should balance the books a bit for us, we are due to receive over 29m from television rights only.

9vIyo.png

We had a nice summer campaign, and although not all of our targets were successful ones I consider we built a pretty decent squad, giving us hope for the future season. We managed to retain our MC pair from last season and expecting a lot from them. The media doesn't think so good about us, as they predict us to be relegation favorites, finishing dead last with 1000-1 odds in the league. It is true that our club only values a poor 9.5 million (Roma is 255 and Lazio 226) so that might influence the way people see us.

9CTUN.png

We didn't had some big friendlies this summer, as besides Bastia (which we lost) we only played small Italian teams. Including our two new junior affiliates Ostiamare and Cynthia. We did manage to get through the qualifying round of the Cup. We are now ready to begin our first season in Serie A.

9vzBU.png

What better way to start our first season in the Seria A than a Rome derby? We traveled to Olimpico to meet AS Roma and despite a strong performance we came down 1-0 in the end. Our first game at home saw the stadium packed (all though 4k seats its all) witnessing our first point from a late draw against Fiorentina. We then surprised everyone by winning at Udinese before both the Torino sides showing us our place in the League. 

9CeSc.png

I find positives in both getting some points out of the first matches and also in not being outclassed in the matches. Ok, we lost three of them, but they were contested games. That leaves us for the start in 15th position, just 1 point above relegation but it's to early to make anything out of this.

9ClG1.png

A mixed month for us, which started out with two italian wins (1-0 with Bologna and Sampdoria) and finished with two defeats against the Milan teams (Inter and AC Milan). Overall, pretty satisfied with the way things are going so far. We are losing against the top teams and getting points with the lower one, so I guess that's an expected performance from a newly promoted team. 

9bXa2.png

We are still sitting in the second part of the table, in 13th only 3 points away from safety. A pretty balanced league so far (just have a look who's first) with all the teams losing points. Our 5 defeats so far ar against teams situated in 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th and 9th, so we might expect some better performances once we play the lower situated teams.

9bOdq.png

Just three matches this month and I chose not to play a friendly in the international break as most of the team was pretty tired. A perfectly balanced month, won one (1-0 at home against to Cagliari), lost one (hote to Napoli) and draw one (away at Sassuolo).

9jgsK.png

At the moment we are lingering around the mid table positions and we would be very happy it the league finished like this. 

9j7vj.png

You know you're having a bad month when you're losing at home against a lower league club. So much for our run in the Cup. The league wasn't that bright either, as we lost against Atalanta and Chievo. On the positive side, we did managed to grab some points against relegation threatened SPAL (5-2 win at home) and Carpi (boring 0-0 draw). 

9ATzt.png

Somehow, despite our overall poor performance we are still sitting in the safety area around the mid-table. We have dropped a bit into 13th, but they are now 6 points of safety for us. The other Roman teams are slowly sliding down the table (Lazio was leader at one moment). Maybe three teams is to much for the city?

9AyH4.png

Now that's what we call a perfect month. It's the first time ever in the career I think that we have a perfect month, winning all the official matches. It is true that through a fortunate event three of the four matches wee at home. After narrowly passing Palermo and Empoli with scrappy 1-0 wins we then manage to beat both our Roman rivals: 2-0 against Lazio and 2-1 against AS Roma. Forza ragazzi!

9UGEH.png

Our performance saw us jump a couple of places to 10th in the league, and for the first time we are closer to the European places that the relegation ones, which are 14 points away from us. Let's just hope we can keep up this form.

9Uh3k.png

After the delightful wins against our city rivals I had the nerve to request the board some improvements of our facilities. They agreed only to the youths upgrade, costing us around 1.9m (which is supportable considering at the moment we are 10m in the plus in the financial situation).

9Uv0D.png

Good thing I asked for the upgrades last month, because after February not sure I would receive them anymore. We only gathered 2 points from scrappy draws at home against Udinese and Torino in games which to be fair we would have deserved to lose. We did however lost in style the two away games at Fiorentina and Juve, returning home between the two of them with no more than 7 goals.

9UmDo.png

We haven't slipped to much in the League, still a mid-table position, but I guess the last month is a confirmation that our European dreams are just that.. dreams. We should be more than satisfied with our current position and hope things remain the same (we are still 14 points off the relegation places, a safe margin I would say).

9UtYM.png

14 hours ago, Benjoe said:

It's looking good I'd say. 

I was also very happy when I saw the two victories against Lazio and Roma to top off a perfect month! 

Well, certainly looked good for a moment. Now things are starting  to go downhill fast :)

1 minute ago, Muttley84 said:

Well, certainly looked good for a moment. Now things are starting  to go downhill fast :)

Has it gone worse than your February month? :( 

Despite the awful February we had I guess the Roma board is still under the spell of us beating them, so they offer me another chance of becoming their manager, which I politely declined. They are slipping down to mid-table and are in desperate need of a fresh start but Grosso won't be the man giving them that.

9YWND.png

And yes, things can go a lot worse than last month, as in March we only managed to gather a single point in the league from a draw at Inter (to be honest it was pretty much undeserved also as they dominated the game). It was also to be our only goal of the month, losing to null matches against Bologna, Sampdoria and Milan. Tried shifting the tactics, agglomerating the midfield, playing with 2 strikers, rotating some players - nothing worked for us.

9Y3co.png

The only comfort is that the last three teams are even more crap than we are at this point. Aside Bologna beating us they are gathering somehow so few points that with 10 games to go we still have 11 points of safety. Still not a nail-bitter, but starting to worry a bit. At the top of the league things are getting back on track as Juventus climbed back to the 1st. Oh, what a surprise. Lazio is still there in the Europa race and with some luck could even challenge for Champions League, while Roma seems totally out of shape.

9Y4FM.png

Hallelujah! We finally won another match! After another straight three losses against high flying Napoli, Sassuolo and Cagliari we managed to secure a 1-0 scrappy win at home against Atalanta. That ends up a series of 11 games without a win for us, which proved to be brutal both to our league standing and our team morale.

9cP3H.png

Now just 8 points margin between us and relegation, but only 6 matches left to play. I think that if we reach the physiological threshold of 40 points we are safe, so we need another win or so. At the top of the league it seems its only Juve and Milan for the league, while Lazio is pretty confident in their European run. Roma is totally out of the race. 

9c5xk.png

So glad the season ended. the second part was just terrible. We managed to bounce a bit in the last game of the season by beating our city rivals Lazio (again) but it was by a luck goal in the last minute as they were pushing for a win.

9Mk1p.png

So Juventus won the league, with Lazio going to Europa League, while Roma remains out of Europe for the second consecutive season. 

9MlAo.png

Well, that certainly came out as a surprise...

9Mo8M.png

Finally got a bit of time for the update between seasons. A pretty decent season for us although we set the bar higher then wanted in the first part but then settled for a more than respectable position in the end.

9iHSS.png

This are the players which carried us through the first season in Seria A. No big names, but hard working ones.

9injs.png

9ixZ4.png

The board are continuing with the stadium plans and finally found a location and a project for the 14.5 stadium to be build especially for us.

9ipGt.png

We spent a club-record 1.2 million on players these summers - but those went mainly into just two deals, the rest being free transfers. However, the most valuable players which joined us this summer are loans from Roma, Juve, Arsenal or Man Utd. No stand-out transfer or big name signing, as we just don't have the profile for that (I had more declined offers this summer than a fat kid with pimples at his senior prom).

9iqTD.png

Not much to take from the friendly as except Vicenza we only met lower league sides. That was my choice as getting so many players in we needed some time to get the team playing together. 

9iSPM.png

Pretty realistic season expectations, with the attempt to avoid relegation as our main target for another season. Will we succeed in achieving over the 43 points we did last season? Hopefully so. We are predicted by the media to finish 19th, so anything above that will be an achievement for our still small club.

9iiWp.png

Finances are looking pretty solid. We still had some room in the wage department, but with no big deals being in line and the construction of the stadium I think we are safe to say we won't be making new transfers this summer. 

9iEZo.png

39 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I remember Romagna turning into a monster a few FM's back, could be a cracking loan.

Guess he needs some time to settle down or maybe he's been downgraded a bit, cause he's monster-bad in the begining of the season. 

Well, all that pre-season preparation and building a consistent team, covering every position and then? First losing the first official game of the season against a recently relegated to Serie B SPAL, and then only gaining 4 points out of the 18 available. It is true that we encountered some big sides, but we are to much dependent on the form of Esposito in the lone striker position.

9ieqs.png

Fortunately for us they are teams with a worse start than us, which keeps us still above the relegation positions.  Not the greatest starts for the other Roman teams also.

9ilWS.png

A much better month as we won 2 out of the 4 games we had. Considering we played Inter, Lazio and Roma in this interval I am pretty satisfied with what we got out. We seem to become a team constantly beating Lazio, and that could only bring me joy, as one of the objective of this career is to overcome the other Roman teams. We haven't jumped to many places in the league but we have gathered some points and the only way is up now. 

9SYDC.png

9ScYW.png

We are continuing our pattern of mixed results, as between November and December we played 8 games in the league, wining 4 (all the home matches against Carpi, Fiorentina, Frosinone and Vicenza) and losing 4 (all the away matches against Udinese, Cagliari, Sampdoria and Napoli). We will need to improve and return with some points from the away games if we wanna climb up the league ladder a bit. Curently we are sitting in 14th, but we only are 5 points above the last relegation spot. What's worrying a bit is our defensive record as we are conceding far more than we did last season.

9SSDI.png

9SfYU.png

Archived