Franky's GHOST Tactic for FM 17 - plug and play!!!

This is my fourth tactic for FM 17. I had previously deleted it as I couldn't get the defensive side of things working to my satisfaction. Hopefully that shouldn't be a problem now as you just simply outscore the opposition. This is the highest scoring of the four tactics I have developed. It's a strikerless formation and is called GHOST because your Shadow Striker is unmarkable. The opposition defenders just don't see him..... he's the GHOST!!! The opposition defence just can't handle the movement of the front 3 plus BBM. The base premise of the tactic is to draw the opposition defence high up the pitch and then hit them with a lightning fast counter before they can recover. There's actually 3 different modes of attack so depending on how your opponents are set up, your team will deploy the following strategies..............

1) Counter attack culminating in a killer through ball over the top for any of the front 3.

2) Work the ball for the inside forwards or an overlapping wing back to get a cross in.

3) Work the ball in and around the box with high tempo, one touch passing that leaves the opposition defenders chasing shadows.

It's similar to my PHANTOMS tactic but scores more goals via the following three attacking dynamics specific to the GHOST tactic.....

1.The Shadow Striker (the GHOST) draws the opponent's defensive line high up the pitch in order to facilitate lightning fast counter attacks.

2. He'll come deep, then wait for a through ball over the top. When it's played, he gets forward undetected like a GHOST and his pace allows him to collect the ball and get a free run on goal with just the keeper to beat.

3. He'll alternate his forward runs with sitting deep and playing one of the inside forwards in. The opposition defenders will be looking for him but GHOST like, he's nowhere to be seen. They get confused, don't know what to do and the other attackers will take advantage.

As with PHANTOMS, it's plug and play so no need to change mentalities at any stage..... stay on ATTACKING mentality permanently, even with small teams!!!

The two aims of creating this tactic were for it to be really fun to deploy with fantastic football on display and for it to be a totally PLUG & PLAY tactic that scores goals but can also hold it's own at the back..... it's perhaps slightly less solid at the back than my other three tactics but whereas they are more balanced tactics, GHOSTS is all about relentless attacking to rack up the goals with the philosophy of 'attack is the best form of defence'.

FORMATION

a8bda39ebf.jpg

PLAYERS REQUIRED (same as PHANTOMS except for front three positions.... AML/AMR/AMC)

Wing Backs – These guys are key players in the team as they provide a crossing option from out wide so decent crossing ability is still a must. High stamina, work rate and dribbling ability will also increase their effectiveness.

PPM to set (in order of importance)......... 1) gets forward whenever possible......... 2) hugs line.

Training focus - crossing or dribbling, whichever is lower.

Centre Backs - There's a regular centre back in both DCR and DCL positions. One must be quick so he can recover in case an attacker breaks the offside trap.

PPM to set......... 1) runs with ball rarely......... 2) plays short simple passes (if passing ability is poor).

NOTE: The default setting is 'Central Defender' but you need to change that to 'Ball Playing Defender' for any centre back who is better in that role. It's okay two have two BPD's if need be.

DMC – Sits in front of the back four and sweeps up a lot the opposition clearances, thus putting out fires before they start. His ability to win the ball in the middle of the park allows the the front 3 plus both wing backs plus the BBM to operate in a highly attacking manner. Also offers a passing option as he's always unmarked. When it's played to him, he's on the lookout to distribute to the APM or wing backs when they make their runs forward. Must have a high work rate as he'll be charging around, picking up all the loose balls and closing down attackers. A defensively sound, hard working player ...... Schneiderlin being perfect for this role.

PPM to set......... 1) stays back at all times........ 2) tries first time shots........ 3) likes to switch ball to other flank.

Training focus - 'passing' if less than 13, otherwise 'long shots'.

Box to Box Midfielder - Gets forward quickly to support the striker and provide a presence in the box for all the crosses coming in and defensively works hard to help the team win the ball back so a high work rate is very important. In order to make the tactic work, it's imperative that he has the PPM of 'gets into opposition area', without which the tactic is just not the same. He's going to be one of your main goalscorers so good finishing and composure are also very important. Decent long shot ability is a bonus, although not a must........ Once again, I cannot stress how important the 'gets into opposition area' PPM is. 

PPM to set......... 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) gets forward whenever possible. If he has a long shot attribute of 13+ then 'shoots from distance' and 'shoots with power' then 'tries first time shots'.

Training focus - finishing or composure, whichever is less.

Advanced Playmaker - There's not much to be said about this guy. He's the creative force of the team so anyone who fits the bill with decent passing and vision.

PPM to set......... 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) tries killer balls often....... 3) likes to switch ball to other flank. 

Inside Forwards – There's two of these guys and they'll be looking to get on the end of attacking moves and especially to take advantage of crosses fired in from the wing back on the opposite flank so good finishing and 'off the ball' ability is helpful, although not essential. What is essential though is that they must be quick. It's not necessary that they are inverted foot IFs. In fact, non inverted will probably be better as they are more likely to find a team mate who is free in the middle instead of opting for a long shot.

PPM to set........ 'places shots'.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Wingers CANNOT be used with this tactic. However, most wingers will quite easily retrain to inside forwards.

Shadow Striker – Comes deep to drag the opposition defensive line high up the pitch and is always on the lookout for the through ball over the top. If he receives the ball deep, he'll either play in the inside forwards or BBM or lay it off simple and drive into the box in anticipation of a cross or a through ball. Either way, he's totally unmarkable as he's always on the move. Must be quick and have semi decent finishing and composure.

PPM to set........ 'places shots'.

VERY IMPORTANT PPM information for your Shadow Striker and Inside Forwards

I've advised previously for the shadow striker to be trained with the 'likes to beat offside trap' PPM. However, do NOT do this. I've found that since my SS has acquired this PPM, he now stays higher up the pitch, which means the opposition defensive line sit deeper to keep an eye on him. This means less distance between their keeper and defenders so the whole strategic aspect of the tactic (i.e. draw defence high up then hit them with the ball over the top) is annulled and effectively makes the tactic ineffective.............. so make sure that your front three do NOT have this PPM. Also, do not train any of your front three to 'gets forward whenever possible' or 'gets into opposition area'. These PPMs may also to a lesser extent reduce the space available for the through ball. Raheem Sterling had been on fire for me as the Shadow Striker and he didn't have any of the three above mentioned PPMs. After he acquired 'likes to try to beat offside trap', his performances absolutely nosedived as he wasn't getting any more through balls to run onto....... so be warned!!

TACTIC USAGE

Totally plug and play..... just sit back and watch the show :D 

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

Leave them to the assistant manager. However, get one with high attributes for Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Ability and Motivating.

TEAM TALKS

I let the assistant manager deal with team talks as I'm playing the Touch version of the game where you can't do team talks yourself. Obviously, if you know what you're doing then would be better to do them yourself.  As with OIs, Just make sure to have a decent assistant manager who has high attributes for Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Ability and Motivating.

FURTHER INFORMATION/ADVICE

Both centre backs, SS and BBM must NOT be on corner taking duty plus inswinging corners are preferable. 

While the tactic is plug and play, there is ONE thing you need to do. As soon as a player picks up a booking, manually set him to 'ease off tackles' in order to avoid a second yellow. Front 3 are set to this by default.

In case of a red card, remove the DMC and set the Advanced Playmaker to a Deep Lying Playmaker with a defend duty. He'll then stay back to cover for the missing DMC, which will provide more balance to a midfield two.

Do not buy a DMC, BBM or wing backs with poor work rate, they're not compatible with this tactic. I had Carrick at Man Utd with a 'work rate' rating of 11..... got rid straight away.

For your best free-kick takers, set their PPM to 'tries long range free kicks' as the default setting is to float the ball into the box, even when there's a clear scoring opportunity with a direct shot. Once this PPM is acquired, they won't waste such opportunities.

Every player that has less than 13 for long shots should be trained to 'refrain from taking long shots'. For the front three, this is a priority as they tend to waste good passing opportunities by taking ridiculous shots from distance....... this PPM will help to minimize that.

Any player with a 'passing' and 'vision' combined total of 28+ in the top division, set his PPM to 'tries killer balls often' and 'tries long range passes'. Once acquired, these guys will more often look to play the ball over the top for the SS to run onto.

This is optional but will help. If your best long shooter has 'shoots from distance' as one of his PPMs, set him to 'lurk outside area' from attacking corners so just switch him with the BBM who is in that position by default.

SOME EXAMPLES

The GHOST (Raheem Sterling) is unplayable

8_0_vs_Everton.jpgimgurl

The GHOST scores the fastest hat-trick in Premier League history and fastest debut hat-trick in the history of history :D

fastest_hat_trick_ever.jpgcapture

FINAL WORD

The tactic is still in testing phase and maybe some tweaks will be required to further improve it so your feedback will be really helpful....... thanks as always :) Current version is v1.1. I've also added a pkm file of the Wycombe vs Everton match that can be downloaded to see how the GHOST tactic operates. It's from the original version of the tactic but the attacking play of v1.1 is exactly the same. 

EDIT - 18th January, 2017: Tactic has been updated. It's now more dominant than before. As a result, it's also defensively more solid...... current version is v1.2

Everton 0-8 Wycombe (GHOST Tactic).pkm

Franky's GHOST Tactic v1.2 for FM 17 (17.2) plug & play!!_73146D04-5135-44CD-A293-46B0C067E202.fmf

17 minutes ago, sparkysrovers said:

You're like a tactic factory at the moment!! Keep churning them out, I'll probably have to give this a pass as its hard for me to find a suitable SS even with the amount of money I have at my disposal

You're not likely to find many fast shadow strikers so need to look for quick wingers who can finish and are able to play in the SS position..... Raheem Sterling being a prime example.

30 minutes ago, wixta79 said:

could you retrain a striker to ss? 

You could but he needs a starting point of at least 6/10 in the green circle. Even that is not great but that's where I would draw the line.

15 minutes ago, sparkysrovers said:

Just tried this in a final we were playing in away to our rival competitor and beat them 3-1. Pretty good for the first match. And my BBM was on fire, scored two great goals

Yeah, BBM should end up second top goalscorer if he has half decent finishing and composure. He's ghost junior :cool:

5 minutes ago, Punt said:

Franky, would you objectively say that this tactic is better than the latest Phantom? 

Probably but only if you can get the right players. You'll need a busy transfer window to do that. PHANTOMS could be used with Man United's starting squad but if you use GHOST, you'll need to sell and replace Ibrahimovic, Martial, Mata, Rashford and Rooney as they just don't fit..... not an easy task, especially with Zlatan being unsellable as he's a new signing.

Liverpool are a great team to play this sort of tactic with.

I haven't played Franky's version yet, but the tactic I use most of the time is very similar by the looks of it, and found it worked very well with Liverpool. Mane especially was awesome for me.

Origi & Woodburn can easily be re-trained as SS and both should be excellent in that position.

Coutinho is not woefully slow, so can still be used, although it will probably take a few seasons to sort out his training.

UPDATE: I'm finding GHOST scores more goals than PHANTOMS but is not as defensively sound. I've left the tactic to be downloaded so others can try it. I'm not back at work til tomorrow so am working on a fix. If you have any suggestions, please let me know...... thanks.

7 minutes ago, Franky. said:

UPDATE: I'm finding GHOST scores more goals than PHANTOMS but is not as defensively sound. I've left the tactic to be downloaded so others can try it. I'm not back at work til tomorrow so am working on a fix. If you have any suggestions, please let me know...... thanks.

Where are you finding the goals coming from? Is it due to a defender's weakness, or is the tactic leaving an area exposed?

Have you tried lowering the mentality? Maybe to standard and see how it fares?

17 minutes ago, Franky. said:

What if you try tactic usage formula with ghost?

1 minute ago, MrMungo said:

Where are you finding the goals coming from? Is it due to a defender's weakness, or is the tactic leaving an area exposed?

Have you tried lowering the mentality? Maybe to standard and see how it fares?

The goals conceded are because the wing backs are getting caught high up the pitch whilst possession is lost in the middle. It's lost because there's no outball to a striker so we're sometimes overplaying in the middle and a pass gets intercepted. If there was a striker in the team, that interception would be much higher up the pitch and would allow the wing backs more time to get back......  but it's not just a wing back problem. Losing possession in the middle of the park is a general problem regards defensive stability. Will look to fix that up hopefully.

17 minutes ago, Punt said:

What if you try tactic usage formula with ghost?

No, I've found if I do that then the tactic just doesn't work. The shadow striker wants to make the run but there's a reluctance to play him in with a lower team mentality. Anyway, I don't think a drastic change is needed, just a minor tweak to eliminate losing possession in the middle. I've got a few ideas so am currently testing them out.

1 hour ago, Franky. said:

The goals conceded are because the wing backs are getting caught high up the pitch whilst possession is lost in the middle. It's lost because there's no outball to a striker so we're sometimes overplaying in the middle and a pass gets intercepted. If there was a striker in the team, that interception would be much higher up the pitch and would allow the wing backs more time to get back......  but it's not just a wing back problem. Losing possession in the middle of the park is a general problem regards defensive stability. Will look to fix that up hopefully.

I´ve noticed that with strikerless Phantom. Sometimes the team lost the ball in the middle and opposition played fast through ball to their striker which was all alone. In attack i think that the tactic needs striker, because with Phantom with F9, sometimes the goalie plays long ball to F9 and he holds the ball until others have joined him. If there is no striker there is no one to hold the ball.

Anyway, i don´t feel to bad because Phantom with F9 is working like a charm. :)

1 hour ago, whispers said:

Franky i read somewhere you play fm touch? Do you know how to teach players PPM's on FM touch? I cant seem to find the feature.

FM Touch is the same as the full game but with less off field interaction. If you're playing the mobile version, I have no idea unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

i like it so far, early on in my 2nd season with bournemouth , your domination tactic got me 5th place in the league 1st season and won both cups. looking forward to what this one will do.

Keep us updated on how you get on :)

1 hour ago, Punt said:

Franky, could you add to the OP what to do in case my team gets a red card? Thanks.

In case of a red card, remove the DMC and set the Advanced Playmaker to a Deep Lying Playmaker with a defend duty. He'll then stay back to cover for the missing DMC, which will provide more balance to a midfield two.

13 hours ago, sparkysrovers said:

New season - going to try it out and see what sort of player I can attract.

Make sure the front three are quick...... that's the key.

Just now, Franky. said:

FM Touch is the same as the full game but with less off field interaction. If you're playing the mobile version, I have no idea unfortunately.

Yeah im playing the pc version of fm touch but i figured out how to teach PPM's :) Looking forward to see if Icardi will be good as a shadow striker

Wow , Now i've always been a fan of Franky's tactics , by far the most innovative and stable , but i just switched from Total Domination to this and it's unbelievable . The old tactic had got Derby County into the Prem and a 4th place Finish but it was always touch and go , never convincing . Closed season and lost 2 of teams best players with a day to go in transfer window so thought nothing to lose changing tactic . Players are far from used to it yet but have beaten Arsenal (reigning champions) 5-1 and drawn away at PSG in first Champions League game , we now sit top of the League after 5 games . Thing is i'm way too lazy to even get the best out of tactics , i rarely get players that would compliment the tactic so this makes it an even better tactic for you guys who do all the hard graft 

39 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

if anyone is is in the top leagues and doesnt have a ton of cash to buy players  get Berahino. i got him on a free and in 4 league games so far, two of which he came in 2nd half, he has 7 goals and a average rating of 7.63

991065da944a4cd997b116165932666c.png

i had the same situation last season , was top scorer in the side . unfortunately he then got billy big boots and wanted to move to a "bigger club"

1 minute ago, rammalc said:

i had the same situation last season , was top scorer in the side . unfortunately he then got billy big boots and wanted to move to a "bigger club"

my prob now is what to do with C wilson, i just gave him a new contract due to doing well last season. his value is up to 41 mill so maybe will get an offer for him

13 hours ago, rammalc said:

same thing happened in this save. he had 40 goals between europa and the epl and then wanted to leave however tottenham paid his minimum release which was 60 mill so i got a good return on someone i signed on a free so not complaining. finished my 2nd season with the ghost and was even better then domination was with my 1st.

f00d7e5bb2914524a5eace87317ee28b.png

VERY IMPORTANT TACTICAL UPDATE: I've advised previously for the shadow striker to be trained with the 'likes to beat offside trap' PPM. However, do NOT do this. I've found that since my SS has acquired this PPM, he now stays higher up the pitch, which means the opposition defensive line sit deeper to keep an eye on him. This means less distance between keeper and defenders so the whole strategic aspect of the tactic (i.e. draw defence high up then hit them with the ball over the top) is annulled and effectively makes the tactic ineffective.............. so make sure that your front three do NOT have this PPM. Also, do not train any of your front three to 'gets forward whenever possible' or 'gets into opposition area'. These PPMs will also to a lesser extent reduce the space available for the through ball.

Raheem Sterling had been on fire for me as the Shadow Striker and he didn't have any of the three above mentioned PPMs. After he acquired 'likes to try to beat offside trap', his performances absolutely nosedived as he wasn't getting any more through balls to run onto....... so be warned!!

My only concern with this tactic now having played for almost   season is the amount of yellow cards i'm getting , 61 in 22 games but the thing is i'll either get none or 5+ per game , without that i'd be fine just having to pick which of the 7 players on yellow in a match to sub so as not to get a red somewhat takes away my ability to replace tired players lol

2 hours ago, Franky. said:

VERY IMPORTANT TACTICAL UPDATE: I've advised previously for the shadow striker to be trained with the 'likes to beat offside trap' PPM. However, do NOT do this. I've found that since my SS has acquired this PPM, he now stays higher up the pitch, which means the opposition defensive line sit deeper to keep an eye on him. This means less distance between keeper and defenders so the whole strategic aspect of the tactic (i.e. draw defence high up then hit them with the ball over the top) is annulled and effectively makes the tactic ineffective.............. so make sure that your front three do NOT have this PPM. Also, do not train any of your front three to 'gets forward whenever possible' or 'gets into opposition area'. These PPMs will also to a lesser extent reduce the space available for the through ball.

Raheem Sterling had been on fire for me as the Shadow Striker and he didn't have any of the three above mentioned PPMs. After he acquired 'likes to try to beat offside trap', his performances absolutely nosedived as he wasn't getting any more through balls to run onto....... so be warned!!

I'm going to have a problem with some players because i'm already 3 seasons in and some of the players already learned those PPM's. We'll see what happens. :)

4 hours ago, Punt said:

I'm going to have a problem with some players because i'm already 3 seasons in and some of the players already learned those PPM's. We'll see what happens. :)

Beat Spurs 8-2 at home and Everton 5-0 away in the first two league games using GHOST and in both games I had Raheem Sterling as the SS with Marlos Moreno and Memphis Depay as the IFs. The telling thing is that none of them had any of the three PPMs in question. From that I can only deduce that because they don't have those PPMs, their starting position is a little deeper and that encourages the opposition to push their defensive line up, thus creating the opportunity for us to play the ball over the top for the SS to run onto....... if the tactic doesn't work for you then I guess you'll know why :)

1 hour ago, rammalc said:

My only concern with this tactic now having played for almost   season is the amount of yellow cards i'm getting , 61 in 22 games but the thing is i'll either get none or 5+ per game , without that i'd be fine just having to pick which of the 7 players on yellow in a match to sub so as not to get a red somewhat takes away my ability to replace tired players lol

Just set the booked player to 'ease off tackles'....... they're very unlikely to get a second yellow after that.

26 minutes ago, Franky. said:

Beat Spurs 8-2 at home and Everton 5-0 away in the first two league games using GHOST and in both games I had Raheem Sterling as the SS with Marlos Moreno and Memphis Depay as the IFs. The telling thing is that none of them had any of the three PPMs in question. From that I can only deduce that because they don't those PPMs, their starting position is a little deeper and that encourages the opposition to push their defensive line up and this is what creates the opportunity to play the ball over the top for the SS to run onto....... if the tactic doesn't work for you then I guess you'll know why :)

Origi has it in my from first season on because Total Domination had it and he learned it quickly and he has 5 goals in 5 games using Ghost. Maybe he's just too good. ;)

I'm talking about 'likes to beat offside trap' ppm.

1 minute ago, Punt said:

Origi has it in my from first season on because Total Domination had it and he learned it quickly and he has 5 goals in 5 games using Ghost. Maybe he's just too good. ;)

Which PPM is that?..... I think the only one that has a big impact is 'likes to try to beat offside trap'. The other two PPMs might be okay to run with. I'm saying that because I've got Nikola Vlasic as one of the wide players and he has 'gets forward whenever possible'. He played as a left winger in the 8-0 Everton thrashing I've uploaded in the OP...... I'm guessing then that wingers will also work. I'm gonna find out by rebooting my season again and using wingers as well as IFs. Will report back later. 

3 hours ago, Franky. said:

im wondering what is the minimum speed and acc for the front 3 do you think for the tactic to be at its best?

9 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

im wondering what is the minimum speed and acc for the front 3 do you think for the tactic to be at its best?

Pace and acceleration combined total of 30+ in the top division. That would be the absolute bare minimum but obviously, the higher the better. The only exception I would make is if I have a really creative IF like Juan Mata, in who's case I'd forego the speed requirement. This just for the IFs. The SS MUST be quick, irrespective of how creative he might be.

18 minutes ago, Franky. said:

Which PPM is that?..... I think the only one that has a big impact is 'likes to try to beat offside trap'. The other two PPMs might be okay to run with. I'm saying that because I've got Nikola Vlasic as one of the wide players and he has 'gets forward whenever possible'. He played as a left winger in the 8-0 Everton thrashing I've uploaded in the OP...... I'm guessing then that wingers will also work. I'm gonna find out by rebooting my season again and using wingers as well as IFs. Will report back later. 

I edited my post too late.

I was talking about 'likes to beat the offside trap' ppm. You had it listed in TD at the beginning if he was fast. He had pace and acc both 15 ( now 16 ) so i trained him. :)

EDIT - 17th January, 2017: Minor defensive adjustment. I found that sometimes the wing backs were getting dragged infield to close down a central attacker and leaving the flanks exposed. This lead to some unnecessary goals conceded from unchallenged crosses. I've now plugged that weakness so overall the tactic is defensively a bit more stable....... current version is v1.1a and can be downloaded from the original post.

9 hours ago, whispers said:

What is the  "Everton 0-8 Wycombe (GHOST Tactic).pkm " You also uploaded?

It's a replay file of the match. On your home screen, if you click on 'view match' and then load up the file, you can view the highlights/goals of that fixture. I've uploaded it as a demonstration of how the GHOST tactic works.

Archived