FM17: Sheffield United - Be A Blade

stevemc

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheffield United: 2019/20 - Premier League (season 4) - Start of season

After our brilliant first season in the Premier League, the finances looked amazing, and the board gave me a very generous budget:

2uigr38.png

2jfij4.png

Trying to close the gap from 7th to 4th requires a difference level of player, so I spent the summer digging around for the right quality, it ended up being a much busier window than I wanted due to some unforeseen circumstances, but ended up doing very well, spending £87m but recouping £54m.

24y664x.jpg

2w565uu.png

Cerri and Traore both wanted to leave in the Summer, Traore had an attitude problem but was a key player for me. Billy Sharp's from dipped so I gave him a free transfer to the MLS.

Ended up bringing Moussa Dembele in as my number one striker for £20m and picked up Memphis and Bakayoko on free's, who have all become key players in my new team. Joe Hart came up on the transfer list from relegated Stoke, so I picked him up (but missed out on Shawcross) and sold off Pickford to compensate.

I had a deal done for Daniel Sturridge for £11m, but on transfer deadline day, I managed to do a deal for Raheem Sterling for £22.5m, who is by far my best signing of the window. I also tried for Wilfried Bony and Marcos Rojo but couldn't get a work permit.

Kimpembe was my big defensive addition, from PSG.

We've had a great start to the league, winning 3 from 3, a few results below:

350qumx.png

wloy0j.png

We also made the Europa League group stages, breezing through qualifying with a 15-2 aggregate win:

1195n6f.png

33lmnwj.png

Dembele has been an absolute animal :D

2cxub8x.png

I'm expecting to push on from 7th this season and get into the knockout's of the Europa League, as for the rest, let's see what happens...

Dembele was literally the best striker available to me, he was at Leicester city, who had a poor season, and he wanted to leave. There was a lack of options, but I was looking for a pacey striker, so he fit the bill, and he's been brilliant!

Sheffield United: 2019/20 - Premier League (season 4) - Mid season

Flying in the league, better than expected - top, five points clear of Manchester United going into Christmas. My front three have been superb, with Dembele netting 16 league goals already, two behind Aguero and Kane in the golden boot race:

14sjimd.png

Europa League also going well, topping our group and drawing Brondby in the knockout round:

34tdhmq.png

Still in the EFL Cup, now in the semi final, two legs against Tottenham. FA Cup draw has also been made, we've got Southend, away, in the 3rd round.

Finally, had my Brexit result through...

502z6e.png

Just thought I'd an another update as I've just passed January, the board game me £15m during the transfer window so managed to pick up a transfer-listed Adrien Rabiot for £10.5m:

2zjlt9s.jpg

Also received a temping offer from Napoli for 30-year-old Shinji Kagawa, for around £14m, but decided not to bother due to his form:

fbye7d.png

Elsewhere, some big money was spent:

2ue73g7.png

We also managed to book a trip to Wembley in the EFL Cup final, against Manchester United, after overturning a 0-1 defeat in the second leg, to Tottenham, absolutely dominated them:

2jca63k.png

17 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Great to see your progress @stevemc...

Any decent youngsters coming through yet?

I've had this lad come through my youth intake;

20arw5j.png

And I've bought in this kid;

j5cn40.png

Other than that, its been a little thin on the ground.

Sheffield United: 2019/20 - Premier League (season 4) - end of season

I'll start off this big update with a disappointing defeat in the EFL Cup final, to Jose Mourinho's Manchester United, on penalties. I felt we did enough to win this game but 18 year old Carl Sinton scored in the last ten minutes. I even got Joe Hart to score a penalty, but it wasn't mean't to be...

f9r29j.png

With about 8 games of the season remaining, I suffered some horrible injuries to Memphis, Dembele and Emeterio, all key players for the team, and given my run in, I was fearing the worst;

2w3xdfs.png

Fortunately, we had enough in the tank to get over the line and win the title, winning the Premier League against Manchester City (who sacked Guardiola the game before) - with Sterling playing a big role against his former club:

xcnng7.png

Final standings:

33o1lpk.png

30szp1e.png

96j68j.png

2j2xgzn.png

seuotl.png

Now to our FA Cup run, making the final after a great semi-final win, once again, Sterling was pivotal:

15dm7hs.png

Then we managed to do a domestic double by beating Tottenham, whom we always seem to have an edge over:

29dfo2a.png

71l6yf.png

Undoubtably the player of the season was Moussa Dembélé, banging in 36 league goals, beating all records in his way, leading to 57 goals in 53 games overall:

sneanc.png

2rdaf0n.png

The real disappointment was the Europe League semi final against Valencia, I had 4 suspensions and 3 injuries which decimated the core of the team and Valencia took full advantage, knocking us out. Season review below:

2qbdw5y.png

Our under 23's also retained their league title:

zm046x.png

Finally, the board have announced stadium expansion plans, but also the chairman has withdrew his financial support, so I'm not sure what this means going forward:

zmksoj.png

2n8bkte.png

Absolutely phenomenal year Steve. Looking forward to seeing how you do in the Champs League.

Out of interest where did you get your competition backgrounds from? They look ace especially the youth league ones.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Just a little Summer transfer window update, still in July, but now I have a squad full of champions, some of the bigger teams are trying to pick off my players, some became unsettled or too demanding (wanting substantially bigger contracts), so I let them move on like Dennis Diekmeier, Marcos Llorente, Andreas Pereira, Karim Rekik, Zach Clough plus a few others. Even was offered £25m for Adrien Rabiot from Marseille, who I bought in January for £10m. Also cashed in on in-form Shinji Kagawa for around £14m - a good deal for a 32 year old. So with a quite a few moving on, I've had a raid on the transfer market.

First of all, I picked up Son Heung-Min on a free transfer from Tottenham, perfect replacement for Kagawa, with added pace, and obviously great marketing benefits :D

nd4k1s.png

f07m8n.png

Because I love a free transfer, I also picked up Thomas Lemar, who will play back up to Sterling and Memphis, and because Angelino is engineering to leave, I've covered that off by picking up Jordi Alba on a free form Barcelona, who at 31 years of age, still has great stats.

152g5ki.png

3021m48.png

Alba will also bring in some merchandise revenue :D

330w5zp.png

Martin Odegaard joined for £19m from Real Madrid, as a direct replacement for Andreas Pereira, adding more creativity to the midfield.

29z7600.png

And also drafted in Youri Tielemans for £20m to replace Marcos Llorente.

n4b3bo.png

One area that did need a class signing was in defence, so I signed the best possible defender available to me, which was Lucas from Napoli for £24.5m, replacing Karim Rekik. Reece Oxford was my number one target but £60m was too much IMO.

2dl6gde.png

Finally, I'm working on to deals for Ruben Neves for DM for about £23m, and Felix Passlack (replacing Dennis Diekmeier) for RWB for just short of £40m. Overall, it will have been a very good window. :thup:

Also brought in a few ex-Sheffield United players, who have new become youth coaches, which went down very well with the fans. Phil Jagielka especially.

Sheffield United: 2020/21 - Premier League (season 5) - Start of season

So, the transfer window is now shut so, and here's how it went:

jfgthz.png

Really happy with those additions, with a net spend of +£3m too.

After winning the league, we made the Community Shield, picking up an easy win with Son getting a debut goal, but to be fair to Manchester United, they played a bunch of kids:

331o9it.png

We've had a solid start to the season, 7 points from 9, but dropped two points away at Goodison Park thanks to conceding a last minute equaliser. We opened up against Tottenham, Son returning to help us secure three points against his old club :D

wlrtox.png

The Champions League draw handed us Barcelona, but overall this could be a tricky group:

2vju2rq.png

And the EFL Cup has drawn us against West Ham United, away.

England: 2020/21

Had a little reshuffle with England, bring in Steve Bould as my assistant, Robin van Persie as B Team manager and Harry Kewell as Under-20's manager.

Here is my first England squad, Luke Shaw only misses out through injury:

huhao3.png

Plenty of Sheffield United bias, because they are all champions :D

jztjc5.png

No too sure what this Nations League is all about, but I'll give it a go.

I'm currently in feb of my second season with Sheffield united (started with recommended experience and badge)..Louis reed is 4 star for me now and I brought in fede from sevilla c, I highly recommend him, has great potential and has extremely high teamwork and leadership (immediate captain for me at just 20) always sorts bad things out for me with players complaints, has very high aggression, bravery, determination etc. turns into a brilliant BWM in central midfield - brought in a bunch of youth players and newgens with high potential just to farm them for cash atm as I'm currently in 1.3 million debt and want to secure my finances in the long term.

I got promoted in second place last season and I'm currently sitting in 7th this season after being predicted to be relegated, also in the sixth round of the fa cup after beating crystal palace and everton the system I'm using is 4-1-3-2 possession style with a high def line. just started to lose morale and had three players injured in one game though so can't see me beating arsenal without a ton of luck in this round unfortunately. - my team also seems to have gone ill disciplined as I've had scores of red cards over the past two league games leading to two losses back to back and very hard match selection issues due to this.

Players brought in -

Youth

12x 4 and a half to 5 star potential youth players(both bought and through youth system) all have big interest from prem league and other champ clubs atm

First Team

Lee Evans (cm), Jordan Spence(cb), ethan ebanks-landell(perm transfer cb), alex grant(cb), fede(new captain from sevilla c), borja san emeterio(loan rb), kwessi appiah(st), matt smith(st), marco hartmann!(dm and vice captain), danny lafferty(perm transfer lb).

Players Out

Youth

sold two so far (flavio junior bianchi who I got from genoa - 2.1 million and oysten seim from some Norwegian team sold for 1.9million)

released a bunch of sub par youth players from youth system

First Team

jake wright(released), duffy(600k), done(800k), coutts(800k), mcnulty(loaned out with fees and paid wages), simon moore(loaned out with fees and paid wages), aaron ramsdale(300k)

TRYING TO SELL (and failing atm)

billy sharp, leon clarke, james wallace, chris hussey, james wilson

also just hit 28th feb 2018 so snapping up as much high potential youth as I can (got 3.2 budget) I'll hopefully sell some for good profits and keep a few to bleed into my squad.

- saw 2 really high potential players from Serbia's youth intake..apparently I need a work permit for them ? no idea why I'm pretty sure that Serbia is in Europe -_-

2 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Well done @Khazard :thup:

Fede is a good signing, I had him on FM16 and he was brilliant, and he's doing well on my save too.

Interesting your off loading Billy Sharp, he was an animal for me.

he's been injured for 4 months and lost a whole star of ca! (2 and a half stars at 32 yr old) - also he's been underperforming for me after promotion (average matches are 6.5 etc) can't seem to pass or dribble for me at all

I made a huge mistake signing yao seydou tbh, he wouldn't go to my feeder club and I ended up only being able to loan him out to Sparta (great facilities but I then realised they are playing like 5 games in a whole year -_-) and it takes 5 years to get citizenship - he's gone from 2 star to 3 star rated while there though but played only 4 games and I cant complain because they have no staff other than a club doctor..haha hopefully I can sell him after his loan spell ends...not waiting five years, it's a shame because he would have developed into a world class player, but I can't find any associate clubs never mind a feeder club.. secretly hoping I get a board takeover :p

Sheffield United 2020/21 - Premier League (season 5) - Mid season

Having a mixed season so far, started really well but had a poor December losing 3/4 matches, so here is the table as it stands:

255p99z.png

We've had some great results though, like away at Arsenal:

ng9chw.png

We've excelled in our first Champions League campaign, topping our group:

2zjc8pu.png

But the draw has been unkind, giving us Bayern Munich:

2ppzp5v.png

We are still in the EFL Cup, against Arsenal in the semi-final, and the FA Cup has pitched us against Newcastle United at St James' Park.

Our stadium has not been successfully expanded and I've brought Billy Sharp back to the club, which the fans loved.

epn0q1.png

2ypkwvp.png

England: 2020/21

We topped our Nations group, which put us through to the knockouts against France, here's a selection of my results:

313ja89.png

29lhdoi.png

28a0rjl.png

This thread has inspired me again. I managed Sheffield Utd in FM16 for a few seasons, got both of the Moussa Dembeles in my squad when I got promoted to the EPL, they were awesome. 

When FM17 was released I was still in the mood dele of my save. I did start up a new Sheffield Utd save but was kind of burned out with them but I think enough time has passed for me to jump in with them again. 

Anyway I kicked off a new save and still on the first day, I may be able to press continue after I have thoroughly worked out which staff I will hire and what players I will sign.

The life of a FM turtler can be cruel :(

I've hit a real poor patch over Christmas and into January, drawing every game, including a home tie in the FA Cup 3rd round that I should have won easily. Need to turn things around with the EFL Cup final on the horizon, and Bayern Munich in the Champions League :onmehead: 

Sterling hasn't scored a goal in months :mad:

On 15/01/2017 at 08:31, stevemc said:

First Champions League game... :eek:

Not bad :)

im still trying to get my Sheffield Utd save started.

Any recommendations on a good AMC to sign on a free at the start? I will be setting up my trusty 4-2-3-1 tactic I used in FM16.

I see the old AMC Jose Baxter is looking for a club but there is no way I am signing him back :D

2 hours ago, Powermonger said:

Not bad :)

im still trying to get my Sheffield Utd save started.

Any recommendations on a good AMC to sign on a free at the start? I will be setting up my trusty 4-2-3-1 tactic I used in FM16.

I see the old AMC Jose Baxter is looking for a club but there is no way I am signing him back :D

I don't think Baxter can play from the start anyway, I'm sure he's suspended :D

Don't forget to cash in Kyle Walker's clauses - plenty of money available then for playmakers :thup:

17 hours ago, stevemc said:

I don't think Baxter can play from the start anyway, I'm sure he's suspended :D

Don't forget to cash in Kyle Walker's clauses - plenty of money available then for playmakers :thup:

Of that's definitely going to happen, I need that money for the wages for the new guys I want to bring in.

Just curious to know what leagues you and others loaded for their Sheffield game?

4 hours ago, Powermonger said:

Of that's definitely going to happen, I need that money for the wages for the new guys I want to bring in.

Just curious to know what leagues you and others loaded for their Sheffield game?

This is what I loaded:

fnz7g9.jpg

Just had a brilliant result away in Munich, been in average form lately too, this came from nowhere. I seem to have a good tactic going for away games against big teams, playing with with defensive midfielders with a counter mentality, wishing luck...

20jpugn.png

Archived