Franky's SUPREME Tactic for FM 17

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First season with Arsenal - won the EPL and FA Cup and beaten by Man City in CL final after an injury crisis. Lost only one game early in season (away to Stoke realistically enough!), 26 clean sheets, Cavani top scorer and POY with 49, Bellerin YPOY. Tactic works unbelievably well with that calibre of team. yet to try with a lower light but only experience thus far is its awesome.

1 hour ago, jonafan70 said:

Finding it a bit mixed at the moment to be fair the results are no more than to be expected with our team as we are predicted to go down, but having some success, will keep going and see where we are half way through

482730_20161120133136_1.png

Don't worry. You're actually doing really well. It takes 15 or so games to get the tactic fluid and most of the new signings blended in and that's when it starts performing. In League 1 with Wycombe, I was bottom of the table after 10 games but ended up 1st. Season before in League 2, conceded 16 goals in the first 16 games, then only 8 goals in the last 30 games.

1 hour ago, Glassy said:

How do you tell players to refrain from taking long shots? I can't find the option anywhere. 

Go to the player's individual training and click on 'New Player Trait'...... encourage...... finishing training....... refrains from taking long shots.

As I'm struggling to understand this ME, I tried your tactic. And got the same issues I'm getting since the begin. Playing a save with Barcelona, and with this tactic, for example against Ajax, they control all the match. More shots, more oportunities, more possession.. I must be doing something very wrongon this game

I'm slight favourites against the top teams and even though we've had our lions share of possesion, we cant break them down, even though we played much better than them. Any tips on beating them, as I'm throwing away points in the title race.

1 hour ago, sparkysrovers said:

I'm slight favourites against the top teams and even though we've had our lions share of possesion, we cant break them down, even though we played much better than them. Any tips on beating them, as I'm throwing away points in the title race.

Yup, it's all about the PPM's. You encourage various traits in all your players to mould them into the tactic. I've updated the original post with the relevant PPM's for each position. Also read the 'further information/advice' paragraph. A perfect example of moulding players would be for your wing backs to have the PPM of 'gets forward whenever possible'. One of the team instructions is to 'look for overlap' but if your wing back doesn't get forward often because he doesn't have the relevant PPM then there's going to be lots of wasted possession where midfielders are looking to get the ball forward to him but he's chilling at the back....... it's just not going to work!!!

Another thing to remember is this tactic punches above it's weight due to it's defensive solidity. It's about going ahead and then looking to protect your lead from half-time onwards by way of switching mentalities...... follow the tactic usage instructions and you'll do well. In the lower leagues, when I'm ahead at half-time or any point in the second half, I'll switch to contain and put both wing backs on defend duty. In other words, I'll park the bus to see the game out. If you look at the screenshots of my Wycombe game in the original post, you'll notice that most of the games I win are by a single goal with the most common scoreline being 1-0. The tactic is not designed to score loads and concede loads. It's designed to score one then shut up shop....... of course this will mean that you'll get a few draws at home against inferior opposition just as in my Wycombe game but it's where you are at the end of the season that counts.

3 hours ago, shadster said:

As I'm struggling to understand this ME, I tried your tactic. And got the same issues I'm getting since the begin. Playing a save with Barcelona, and with this tactic, for example against Ajax, they control all the match. More shots, more oportunities, more possession.. I must be doing something very wrongon this game

Yup, you must be doing something VERY wrong if you're struggling with a front three of Messi, Neymar and Suarez...... or are they all injured? :D

5 minutes ago, sparkysrovers said:

Thanks for the reply. Is it worth trying the Ultimate carnage again, or would you consider this to be a better tactic?

No, Ultimate Carnage is a waste of time if you want long term success. Supreme will work better the more players you have with the relevant PPM's. I've never had a tactic before that's allowed me to concede only 8 goals in 30 league games with a mid table team. Just pay close attention to player attributes required for each position as detailed in the original post and work on the PPM's and stick to the tactic usage formula.

Really good tactic, enjoying it. It goes through little funny patches where you don't get a win for a few games, but all tactics do that unless you're a massive team.

My biggest tip for this is to not do any OI's and do the team talks yourself. I do much, much better with no OI's set personally. And unless you can afford a top, top assistant manager just do the team talks yourself, makes a big difference. 

So half way through the season, very happy with the way things are going, good results at home to Man City and Arsenal, winning in both but ending up drawing, seem to do enough against teams in and around me, we have lots of shots, just cant always convert them, but that will be down to the players i have as forwards, hoping to upgrade in Jan if the board releases a tad more money!!

482730_20161121171241_1.png

482730_20161121171256_1.png

1 hour ago, sparkysrovers said:

I might try the No OI's to see if it makes a difference.

We must have had about 20 odd clean sheets throughout the season as my GK had 17 clean sheets and he didnt even play in all the matches.

Can't recommend turning the OI's enough. I'm on a MAC, not sure they react different playing on the iPad version. 

I'm playing as Nottingham Forest, and if the other team are better than me I also set them up to play counter attack before I kick off. That's really working as well. Even if I'm at home and I'm playing Manu, Arsenal etc I'll set it to counter attack. I also use counter attack quite a lot away from home unless I'm confident my team is better. 

Decent start to the season:

a6d72edf927220d055537203d9a29765.png

I've just re-uploaded the tactic with a minor change. The throw-ins from the right side had the DM set to 'stay back' but throw-ins from the left he was set to 'lurk outside area'. This was unintentional as he should be lurking outside area for all throw-ins.......... I've just made that one minor change, everything else is the same.

11 hours ago, Glassy said:

Can't recommend turning the OI's enough. I'm on a MAC, not sure they react different playing on the iPad version. 

I'm playing as Nottingham Forest, and if the other team are better than me I also set them up to play counter attack before I kick off. That's really working as well. Even if I'm at home and I'm playing Manu, Arsenal etc I'll set it to counter attack. I also use counter attack quite a lot away from home unless I'm confident my team is better. 

Decent start to the season:

a6d72edf927220d055537203d9a29765.png

Glassy, how do you know the team performs better with OI's turned off?..... I ask because I'm not really sure. In my Man United game, the assistant assigns OI's and having played 27 league games, won 22 and drawn 5. On the other hand, in my Wycombe game, the ass man is set to assign OI's but he for some reason never assigns anything and we've had two successive promotions from League 2 to the Championship........... so I'm just wondering if OI's actually make any difference at all, whether you use them or not??? 

Personally for me the reason I think it makes a difference is because with the same team I'm just performing a lot better with them turned off. My assistant was setting quite a few each game, the previous season. Finished 6th. With the same team it just feels a lot better. Could be a coincidence but the same thing happened with my Spurs load as well. 

3 hours ago, Franky. said:

in my Wycombe game, the assist is set to assign OI's but he for some reason never assigns anything

The better your AssMan, the more instructions he is likely to give so your guy at Wycombe must be pretty crud.
I'm not sure exactly which attributes affect it the most but I'd guess Tactical Knowledge is key.

Doing really well with Cagliari, strikers are poor in fact i don't know who should be playing. I have Boriello Sau Melchiorri Giannetti and i haven't bought any striker yet.

At the beggining i sold Bruno Alves and loaned Boschilia and Cerny.

20161122102707_1.jpg

If I think the opponent is a lot better than me I use counter at home and away personally. 

That's the only thing I find tricky about this formation and version of FM. When to play counter, standard or control. The amount of games I've lost or drawn I should have won because I've picked poorly is frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Glassy said:

Madness! Set to counter attacking, Berahino ripping it up for me. Also won the League Cup this season. Also going to come quite close in the league!

e22eaa378124a7002e565ecfae5f98cf.png

Glassy, you're definitely onto something here, mate. I've tested out your theory and it appears that if the opponent is pre-match favourite (home or away) and you set it to counter, this proves to be really effective. I'm going to edit the 'tactic usage' instructions in the original post......... Thanks :applause:

I've edited the 'tactic usage' instructions in the original post....... now looks like this............

Start each game with the following mentalities depending on the pre-match odds.........

Favourite (home) - Control

Odds on favourite (away) - Control

Favourite (away) - Standard

Opponent is favourite (home) - Counter

Opponent is favourite (away) - Counter

Cup finals or other matches at neutral venues should be treated as home games.

If you need to protect a lead and the priority is to avoid conceding, switch to 'contain' and put both wing backs on defend duty (credit to Sabine for this tip, which works very well) but don't do this until half-time at the earliest. Needless to say, if the objective changes and you need to score, don't forget to revert them back to attack duty when upping the mentality. Also, if you switch from contain to a higher mentality, the tempo will automatically be set to 'normal' so you'll have to manually turn it down a notch to 'lower'.

Credit to Glassy for the counter mentality tip if opponent is pre-match favourite, home and away.

10 hours ago, sparkysrovers said:

Nice one Glassy, Franky did you try without having OIs? 

No, I left them to the assistant manager. Have always done that and had lots of success with my Wycombe and Man United games. I really do feel they are beneficial. For example, if there's a player who's one footed and the ass man sets his OI to 'show onto weaker foot', how can that be a bad thing?..... or another player who has a low bravery attribute and the ass man sets his OI to hard tackling so he goes missing all game. Logic would suggest that having these OI's would be beneficial........... I'd recommend getting an ass man with decent motivation, judging player ability and tactical knowledge attributes.

After 3 titles the first season. 4 titles the second season i had a little dip the third season with no titles. with alot of injuries i finished 2nd in the league, lost final in the league cup, lost final in FA cup and lost semifinal in CL. 

but the 4 season with frankys tactic was fantastic. 14 goals conceded in the league. Won the League cup, Premier League and champions league beating PSG in the final 1-0.I only lost 4 games in all competitions all season! 

Curtois had 26 clean sheets in the league.

Laporte amazing with Mustafi and Gimenez.

Bellerin and Gaya providing lots of assists.

Saul fantastic in both central midfields roles.

Griezmann banging in goals from OMH 

For my 5th season wich is about to start ive signed Romagnoli, Cancelo, Augustinsson, Danilo, Dele Alli,Coutinho, Wonderkid Alexander Isak  and Icardi who scored 45 goals in 45 games previous season ?? 

I think this fifth season will be my best ever. 

Got some real legends in my Staff.

Tony Adams, Marc Overmars, Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira, Steve Bould, Tomas Rosicky ?

20161123051441_1.jpg

20161123051455_1.jpg

20161123051901_1.jpg

9 hours ago, Franky. said:

No, I left them to the assistant manager. Have always done that and had lots of success with my Wycombe and Man United games. I really do feel they are beneficial. For example, if there's a player who's one footed and the ass man sets his OI to 'show onto weaker foot', how can that be a bad thing?..... or another player who has a low bravery attribute and the ass man sets his OI to hard tackling so he goes missing all game. Logic would suggest that having these OI's would be beneficial........... I'd recommend getting an ass man with decent motivation, judging player ability and tactical knowledge attributes.

Hi Franky,

Giving this a go in an effort to save my skin at Poole Town - bottom of Conference South 14 games in. It's a more sensible variation of what I was trying to get working. Earlier in the thread, you mentioned DLF or DEF is ok for the striker - play what best suits him, just don't use target man. My best striker got injured and the next best is an AF, I had a go using him like that but obviously with only an attack mentality for an AF, he just ends up too isolated. He's more involved as a DLF although he's lacking in strength.

We were 10-1 to win at 4th placed Dartford. I started with contain and WBs on def, we went 1 down early then they were down to 10 on 17mins. I straight away worked my way up through mentality, adjusted tempo to low and made WBs attack. We quickly equalised but couldn't force the win although I was on control for the last 25.

Finally, on the ass man - I'm sure whether to listen to him or not - his attributes are mot - 1, tactical knowledge - 1 and judging ability 4! My gkeeping coach has far better stats, I may go with his opening recommendations. 

1 hour ago, Niall76 said:

Finally, on the ass man - I'm sure whether to listen to him or not - his attributes are mot - 1, tactical knowledge - 1 and judging ability 4! My gkeeping coach has far better stats, I may go with his opening recommendations. 

Use whatever coach has the best tactical knowledge as sometimes its hard to find a good ass man lower down the leagues.

19 hours ago, Franky. said:

Glassy, you're definitely onto something here, mate. I've tested out your theory and it appears that if the opponent is pre-match favourite (home or away) and you set it to counter, this proves to be really effective. I'm going to edit the 'tactic usage' instructions in the original post......... Thanks :applause:

You're welcome! Great tactic mate, enjoying it. 

So that's the end of the season, and with 4 games to go Man City sacked Pep, i applied and got the job!! The next game was against.......Middlesbrough!! haha, of all the games! So yes i jumped ship but who wouldn't. So using your tactic with Middlesbrough i easily staved off relegation even if the run in produced bad results, we shipped goals and lost a fair few, but considering we were one of the favs for the drop this tactic really did work and to be fair we overachieved. The last 4 games with City we won, easily, so looking forward to this season, with a massive transfer budget i've already been able to bring in Deli Ali and Jordan Henderson to boost the number of English players. So now to see how this tactic fairs with a top side expected to win everything!!

482730_20161124105203_1.png

I was struggling with this in the Scottish League 2 with Sterling. But I stuck with it and added OIs to play onto foot for wide players because I was getting way to many goals scored on me from crosses. Since then, we've been on fire! Would definitely recommend. Thanks for the tactic :thup:

I'm finding this season to be tough, not putting away most of our chances and definitely havent scored as much as last season, despite our very strong start to the season. Has the AI clued on to what I am doing?

Most of the matches, we are the favourites and even favourites and I'm using control as the tactic usage suggests, any ideas? 

Archived