Any way to tell a player to calm down his tackling?

I have a midfielder who's getting booked too much and is now on his third suspension of the last 11 games. He's a damn good player for me, so I don't want to upset him, but is there a way to maybe get him booked less?

He's set to mark tighter, but I've given neither him nor the team any heavy tackling instructions.

I've set him to receive extra training not to dive in to tackles, but it'd be nice if there were an option to talk to him and ask him to control his discipline.

I know this has probably been discussed before, but my search didn't highlight any definitive answer for FM16. If there's a good thread to read on player chats, please feel free to direct me there.

Not sure about FM 16 as I haven't had this kind of problem with a player in this iteration, but it used to be that if you consistently fined a player who made numerous dangerous tackles his aggression stat would sometimes drop and thus he would make less dangerous tackles.

Not sure about FM 16 as I haven't had this kind of problem with a player in this iteration, but it used to be that if you consistently fined a player who made numerous dangerous tackles his aggression stat would sometimes drop and thus he would make less dangerous tackles.

Hmm, yeah, I guess I could start warning him for suspensions, but I've always said 'it's the nature of his game' in press conferences.

I have a disciplinary system for sending offs, but perhaps I need to extend it to suspensions next season.

It's an idea, thanks.

If he's always getting himself booked (or worse) it may be due to his hidden "dirtiness" attribute.

Check your coach report, see if there is a Con along the lines of prone to overstepping boundaries. If there is, I'm not sure constant fines will do much (you can try). If he's young enough tutoring may help, otherwise there isn't much that can be done.

The last player I had like that (Alex Song) I got rid of.

If he's always getting himself booked (or worse) it may be due to his hidden "dirtiness" attribute.

Check your coach report, see if there is a Con along the lines of prone to overstepping boundaries. If there is, I'm not sure constant fines will do much (you can try). If he's young enough tutoring may help, otherwise there isn't much that can be done.

The last player I had like that (Alex Song) I got rid of.

Report says he has a competitive streak, but that's not something I want to remove. He's by far my best player and we'd be a much worse team without him. Well I say that, but I actually just won the game for which he was suspended, but that's usually the exception.

Perhaps it's just something I'll have to accept at the level I'm at - Northern Irish Premier. I don't play a dirty game, but I have 55 yellow cards with 5 games of the season to go, and the next team has 29. I had a similar record last season. I guess I just have a very aggressive team of players.

Is he a BWM? In FM16 l find this guarantees a booking per game for aggressive hatchet men. Changing the role to standard DM then tweak the PIs to be more like the BWM addresses this. I had a dirty BWM for York called Russ Penn, he was a popular captain but got sent off in five consecutive games he played in. Disciplining was no use, l bombed him out, players revolted. This was an early save and subsequent PI tweaking helped out with this.

Is he a BWM? In FM16 l find this guarantees a booking per game for aggressive hatchet men. Changing the role to standard DM then tweak the PIs to be more like the BWM addresses this. I had a dirty BWM for York called Russ Penn, he was a popular captain but got sent off in five consecutive games he played in. Disciplining was no use, l bombed him out, players revolted. This was an early save and subsequent PI tweaking helped out with this.

Gonna try that, thanks. Unforetunately I'd have to drop him back to play him as a DM, but if I change him to a CM with defensive outlook he doesn't get the option to get forward, and I want him to support the attack.

I think I found a compromise though. A CM with support mentality, ease of tackles and shorter passing. I can change him to defensive in some matches, because I used to turn 'get forward' off for tougher games. I did also switch my left back to 'ease off tackles' too. I noticed he's also on 51 disciplinary points.

I bet my striker gets sent off now...

And 'ease off tackles' too.

As he's a regular in the lineup, you can set this up just for him in your tactics.

Don't get that option with a Ball Winning MF. Going to try configuring his position though.

Having a competitive streak indicates the player has a high dirtiness rating.

The Aggression attribute may lead to additional bookings, however Aggression (in FM terms) is more about a player being tenacious so he'll be more likely to get involved in the action (both defensively and offensively). By its' nature that can lead to more bookings but it doesn't make him a "dirty" player as we won't be making intentional fouls. He just won't be a shrinking violet.

It's the Dirtiness attribute which can lead to players intentionally fouling, which can only be a problem if the player starts spending too much time sitting in the stands through constant suspensions. Whatever role you play him as I suggest closely watching his lack of availability from suspension and balance that risk against your teams' performance.

Having a competitive streak indicates the player has a high dirtiness rating.

The Aggression attribute may lead to additional bookings, however Aggression (in FM terms) is more about a player being tenacious so he'll be more likely to get involved in the action (both defensively and offensively). By its' nature that can lead to more bookings but it doesn't make him a "dirty" player as we won't be making intentional fouls. He just won't be a shrinking violet.

It's the Dirtiness attribute which can lead to players intentionally fouling, which can only be a problem if the player starts spending too much time sitting in the stands through constant suspensions. Whatever role you play him as I suggest closely watching his lack of availability from suspension and balance that risk against your teams' performance.

Good points. I tried him in a CM role, but he had far less influence on the match than he did in his BWM role, so much so that he got his lowest rating of the season. I think I do need to accept he's going to get suspended. If he misses 5 games a season, maybe that's not so bad.

I am a little puzzled at my team's disciplinary record though. I don't know why I'm so far ahead of every other team in my division. Are they getting too few yellows, or am I getting too many? If I get 55ish and the next worst is 30ish, that's a big difference. The ability of my players is reported as a lot lower than the Northern Irish Premier for many of my bunch, but I'm doing fine in 5th/6th. I can only think we're getting there by pure tenacity. I do recall making a bug report before Christmas because I got a news item that asked if I was happy to be so far ahead of the pack on bookings. The game got it's context a little off there. I found it amusing.

Thanks for the input, all.

I have a squad that is one of the worst in the division but number 1 in aggression. Thus, for me it makes sense to utilise this and play quite hard. It works, but of course we pick up a heck of a lot of cards. What I always do in match is, as soon as a player gets carded, do the touchline shout 'Assertive/calm down'. So far, no one has ever gotten a red card when I've done this.

I have a squad that is one of the worst in the division but number 1 in aggression. Thus, for me it makes sense to utilise this and play quite hard. It works, but of course we pick up a heck of a lot of cards. What I always do in match is, as soon as a player gets carded, do the touchline shout 'Assertive/calm down'. So far, no one has ever gotten a red card when I've done this.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

Just got through a match without my mid getting booked. I set the team to not dive in to tackles, but it may have just been a coincidence.

But, yeah, it makes sense to utilise your strengths.

But, yeah, it makes sense to utilise your strengths.

Actually it's as much to do with exploiting your opponent's weaknesses. I'm playing at amateur level and when I check the OIs I see a number of key players such as strikers and wingers with bravery 1, strength 2 or something like that. Set to hard tackle and see them disappear out of the game!

I have a midfielder who's getting booked too much and is now on his third suspension of the last 11 games. He's a damn good player for me, so I don't want to upset him, but is there a way to maybe get him booked less?

He's set to mark tighter, but I've given neither him nor the team any heavy tackling instructions.

I've set him to receive extra training not to dive in to tackles, but it'd be nice if there were an option to talk to him and ask him to control his discipline.

I know this has probably been discussed before, but my search didn't highlight any definitive answer for FM16. If there's a good thread to read on player chats, please feel free to direct me there.

I always play with a ball winning DM alongside a box to box man. My DM's are generally good on technique and tackling and are not dirty. However, in FM16 my DM gets booked on a regular basis, almost every other game, whilst my box to box man rarely gets booked. I don't think there's much that can be done, as it seems it comes with the territory for a DM in FM16.

Its probably a bit like telling Vinny Jones to stop hard tackles when its the very nature of what he does as a footballer. There are 3 tackling options I believe so you could give your player a specific tackling outlook.

Certain players are right for certain teams, certain leagues. When the player no longer fulfills that role, cannot be educated (stay on feet perhaps) then I guess you simply sell him. Joey Barton springs to mind as a recent times player like this. Many may recall his tackling technique. I would also have mentioned Robbie Savage but he could easily be distracted by a hair-brush ;)

Archived