Does anyone have experience of playing FM on the Macbook

sfg

I am looking to upgrade my computer and was wondering how FM runs on the Macbook - the really small thin one with the Core M processor? I know there is a new one coming at some point this year, but was wondering how the current one handles the game.

Many thanks for any help.

I've used FM on both a Macbook Air and currently on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) and it run fine on both. The fan gets a bit noisy at times when processing a lot, but the game runs well. Others will say that for the money you pay for a MacBook, you could get a very good gaming laptop (which is true) - but mines for work too and I only really play FM anyway. Handles it perfectly fine in my opinion.

Ultimately, it depends what the laptop is for as its main purpose really. Like I say, I find my Mac runs perfectly well and that's with a few countries and leagues open too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply pallet :)

Do you or anyone else have any experience with the fanless Macbook - the one that comes in the different colours i.e not the Pro or Air. I was wondering how the Core M processor and fanless design managed to cope with matches, processing the data and how many leagues etc was possible to run on it.

Thanks for the reply pallet :)

Do you or anyone else have any experience with the fanless Macbook - the one that comes in the different colours i.e not the Pro or Air. I was wondering how the Core M processor and fanless design managed to cope with matches, processing the data and how many leagues etc was possible to run on it.

I haven't seen anybody using one for FM but I do know a couple of people that have them and there is no way it would be suitable.

They throttle themselves very heavily even when performing far less demanding tasks than running FM, almost as soon as you start doing anything intensive they throttle their performance in an attempt to avoid it overheating.

So yes you could run FM on one but it would be at an absolute crawl while the system tries to avoid frying itself.

Can people not post that they have the game running on a system that is not what the OP described, might as well say that I have it running on an i7-920 & an i7-6820HK for all the good it will do the OP.

mack4ever is spot on with his post.

• Administrators
I am looking to upgrade my computer and was wondering how FM runs on the Macbook - the really small thin one with the Core M processor? I know there is a new one coming at some point this year, but was wondering how the current one handles the game.

Many thanks for any help.

The MacBook's processor is actually below the minimum specifications so it is likely to be slow if it does run at all. Due to Turbo Boost it will speed up for brief periods with any task you run on that machine, at the cost of heat. Once the machine is under intensive use it will throttle its use as mack4ever says.

The new thin MacBook with core M processor isn't designed for something like FM at all, and with its retina display as well as below specification processor will struggle to run the game so it's not recommended, and would be better to consider other options with your intended use of the machine in mind.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you very much for the detailed replies everyone, one of the reasons I love this forum so much is the level of help offered.

Given the responses I will definitely have to give the Macbook a miss!

Sorry your post got deleted Lobaeux4, thank you for offering your help - it's good to know that whilst the Macbook is no good for FM the pro is!

Wow, so my post was deleted because I said the MacBook Pro was a great laptop for the game?

Read the OP's final statement, "Many thanks for any help."

Guess I was no help.

Your post wasn't initially deleted, unfortunately after asking people to address the OP rather than explain how they have the game running on a MBP others continued to post just that. Deleting those posts meant yours also got swept up for consistency.

Your post wasn't initially deleted, unfortunately after asking people to address the OP rather than explain how they have the game running on a MBP others continued to post just that. Deleting those posts meant yours also got swept up for consistency.

Fair enough. I've seen so many anti-Mac posts on here, people saying a Mac won't run FM, I feel I need to correct those.

Unfortunately it does appear that there might be more Mac related issues than normal, might be why you've noticed a trend towards more people cautioning against buying a MacBook when FM16 is the main use.

Unfortunately it does appear that there might be more Mac related issues than normal, might be why you've noticed a trend towards more people cautioning against buying a MacBook when FM16 is the main use.

Ah. Fair enough. The only real issue I have is the continued failure to be able to upload highlights.

I have a 2014 Macbook Pro and I wouldn't personally recommend it. Get's loud, drains the battery and makes it very hot. But it's not designed for playing this game. I only use it for FM if I'm going away for the weekend and I want to continue my game from my PC. I guess I could improve it a lot by dropping the graphics right down, but that just wouldn't give me the FM experience that I need in life :D

I've used FM on both a Macbook Air and currently on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) and it run fine on both. The fan gets a bit noisy at times when processing a lot, but the game runs well. Others will say that for the money you pay for a MacBook, you could get a very good gaming laptop (which is true) - but mines for work too and I only really play FM anyway. Handles it perfectly fine in my opinion.

Ultimately, it depends what the laptop is for as its main purpose really. Like I say, I find my Mac runs perfectly well and that's with a few countries and leagues open too.

Hope that helps.

The fan on my Macbook gets noisy everytime I play. Always wondered whether this was an issue or not..

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro. It runs the game fine with approx 50k players. Like a few others I keep the graphics low and most of the time play in 2D occasionally using 3D prozone. It can get a bit hot and the fan seems to be constantly on. I am thinking of getting a new laptop, mainly to play FM and it will probably not be a Macbook.

Archived