Career crossroads - What would you do?

In charge of MVV in Holland - just finished 4th in the Eredivisie for the 2nd year running (it's now the end of 2020/21). Without selling players I'll have a transfer budget of £5m (£180k pw for wages, so an extra £30k pw). I've managed MVV for 4 years now, and feel that maybe a change is due. So I told myself that if we didn't qualify for Europe I'd move on, as I'm not sure how long it may take to dislodge Ajax and PSV. The play-offs went badly so we missed out on the Europa League places.

I then got offered an interview with Everton. They were 14th in the Premier League, so I took the interview and have been offered the job. There's a wage budget of £1.3m pw, although not much in the transfer kitty. And Everton are huge compared to MVV, albeit they've not done great in the last few years.

Then the FairPlay awards came out, and Holland were given an extra Europa League 1st Qualifying Round place... As the highest placed team not to qualify for Europe, I think that place is mine. What to do???

Add to this that I'm a Liverpool fan, so taking the Everton job seems a little wrong, and also may stop my chances of getting the Liverpool job in the future...

So, the big question: what would you do?

Managing everton wouldn't harm your chances at liverpool, i managed stutgart and bayern offered me the job a couple of times while managing there and they are considered big rivals.

Although i still think you should stay where you are try your luck in the europa league and have one last bash at the dutch league if you do well again i see no reason another everton or something better won't crop up for you.

have you put Liverpool as your fav club on FM15? If so would the Evertons fans take to you and would the board be more patient with you (results wise) because of it???? I dont know the answers to these, but I was just thinking about similar real life situations. Does this kind of thing play a part in FM???

What I usually do in a save-defining managerial decision is to save before accepting and then have a diverging save. That way, I can play either of them at my leisure and decide which one I liked best. It does kinda take the risk away from the decision, but in all but one case I have always stuck with the new team.

In your case, what you should ask yourself is would you have regrets at leaving MVV? Do you have any unfinished business there that you may one day wish you finished? Remember, where there is one job offer there will be others, at a similar level.

Ask yourself the question, do you feel you have taken MVV as far you can?

If the answer is yes, then close your door on the way out. If it's no, then perhaps you should stay and try to dislodge those two powerhouses.

I spent 10 seasons at Queens Park and in that time only managed to reach the Championship and Challenge Cup final, albeit losing to Dunfermiline 2-1. But I felt I had taken them as far as I could so decided to resign. I'm now at Dresden and hoping for some Bundesliga love.

I stayed. The board said they were building a new stadium, so that clinched it for me. More chance of battling Ajax & PSV for top spot with a bigger stadium...

But as someone rightly said, I've been sat here waiting for my Europa League spot, and it went to Groningen instead! (I was thinking it'd go to the best placed team who hadn't already qualified, but of course it's the team with the best disciplinary record who hadn't already qualified, isn't it...)

But, as someone else said - do I feel I've done all I can with them? Not quite yet. If we don't push on this season, then I'll call it a day, but with the new stadium round the corner, then there is lots to look forward to!

Archived