What exactly is "dictates tempo?"

I have an idea what it means IRL. You hear that phrase and you think about the Cesc, Xabi, and Pirlo of this world. However, I'm not sure about the PPM in FM, and its exact effects.

1. Is it an off the ball or on the ball PPM? or both?

1.1 If it's an off the ball, what are its exact effects? Does it mean the players will be more attracted to the ball? As in, instead of making runs into the box, the player will try to find space and become a passing option, so that their teammates can always give them the ball to play instead. So basically, a playmaker who helps keep the ball moving. Or is it something else entirely?

1.2 If it's on the ball, what are the effects? It would imply freedom to make whatever pass they think is appropriate. Do they have any control on the actual "team tempo?"

It's one of the few PPMs that I just can't recognize on the match engine. It's just not visually very clear.

Cheers.

1. How can you dictate the tempo of the game without the ball? it's an on the ball instruction. It just means when he gets the ball he will decide whether to launch a quick attack, hold on the ball, or play whatever you've set. It basically allows him to disregard the tempo you've set and allows him to use his own attributes to decide on how fast he should play. It's nothing to do with what type of pass he tries directly, it's more to do with the speed and urgency he plays with the ball at his feet.

Agree with Cleon that it's more of an on-the-ball instruction. I always imagine it as the archetypal "playmaker" PPM, in that the players who possess it are more likely to make their own decisions regarding when to pass . So it's useful for a player who you know will have space in which to use his superior mental attributes.

1. How can you dictate the tempo of the game without the ball? it's an on the ball instruction. It just means when he gets the ball he will decide whether to launch a quick attack, hold on the ball, or play whatever you've set. It basically allows him to disregard the tempo you've set and allows him to use his own attributes to decide on how fast he should play. It's nothing to do with what type of pass he tries directly, it's more to do with the speed and urgency he plays with the ball at his feet.

What kind of attributes should fit here? Decisions I guess is key? Anything else, bravery? I'm thinks the player would need to have some moral courage to run the game, perhaps not bravery but some kind of on the ball courage, determination perhaps?

What kind of attributes should fit here? Decisions I guess is key? Anything else, bravery? I'm thinks the player would need to have some moral courage to run the game, perhaps not bravery but some kind of on the ball courage, determination perhaps?

passing, concentration, composure, first touch, teamwork

I do yeah but if you list every single ideal attribute needed you'd have just about everyone listed :D. Every attribute is important in all honesty but some are better in certain situations etc.

Can anyone tell me why my coaches would advise me to remove this PPM from a Christian Eriksen?

I always tend to ignore any coach / assistant advice in FM. They might be thinking that it's a good idea if they team plays at a set tempo throughout, and don't want anyone putting a foot on the ball to slow it down, or someone who immediately plays a quick first time pass. My view? Ignore them unless you feel you have seen passages of play where he has hindered your play in a way which you can directly relate back to the PPM.

What might happen if you play more than one player with this PPM in a given match? I'm juventus and Pirlo, Marchisio and Vidal all have it.

What happens is, that Pirlo, Marchisio and Vidal each will ignore your team instruction tempo setting when on the ball. This can be a good thing if you want your team to be creative-fluid and make their own decisions on what when and how to do (as Juventus plays in real life, add Pogba to the list). It is rather counterproductive if you want to play fast direct counterattacking football, because they might decide to do something else.

Archived