The Fulcrum - Silk & Steel. A complete Tactical System for 14.1.4 and beyond......

Ok so first season finished with West Brom, Fairly Average squad, I brought in a barca youngster on a free, johnathan dos santos MC, Fernando DM from FCP on a free and a centre back on loan from dortmund. Incredible results, I won the league cup and FA cup and finished 3rd place in the premier league! I followed Rosler's suggestions on training, which worked great for the squad, I suggest you do too, I kept morale high following Raikan007's Teamtalk Guide (link for anyone having problems with team talks)http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2014-tactics/115433-raikan007s-teamtalk-guide-fm14-how-get-right-reaction.html and I brought in a whole new backroom staff. Some of the results were great, I found I had a few teams that we always struggled against, the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Stoke but I had fantastic results against other big clubs, I didn't lose a game against UTD and played them 3 times in that season alone. If you follow Roslers advice on what players for positions and follow the yearly training, while keeping focus on your squad morale then your going to enjoy some real success with this tactic!

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok so first season finished with West Brom, Fairly Average squad, I brought in a barca youngster on a free, johnathan dos santos MC, Fernando DM from FCP on a free and a centre back on loan from dortmund. Incredible results, I won the league cup and FA cup and finished 3rd place in the premier league! I followed Rosler's suggestions on training, which worked great for the squad, I suggest you do too, I kept morale high following Raikan007's Teamtalk Guide (link for anyone having problems with team talks)http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2014-tactics/115433-raikan007s-teamtalk-guide-fm14-how-get-right-reaction.html and I brought in a whole new backroom staff. Some of the results were great, I found I had a few teams that we always struggled against, the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Stoke but I had fantastic results against other big clubs, I didn't lose a game against UTD and played them 3 times in that season alone. If you follow Roslers advice on what players for positions and follow the yearly training, while keeping focus on your squad morale then your going to enjoy some real success with this tactic!

nice feedback and thanks for the link to team talks.

I personally have never bothered with individual team talks and its never really held me back. Might think again though.

nice feedback and thanks for the link to team talks.

I personally have never bothered with individual team talks and its never really held me back. Might think again though.

Yea me neither in previous years, but I'm finding it can especially improve second half performances from my team by "assertively telling them I have faith in their abilities"

The tactic is unbelievable started a game at Coventry -10 points not a penny to spend no wage budget and adminstrators that accept every bid they receive including loan offers for youngsters so your left with a squad of about 13 players, after 41 games i am sitting 3rd only 3 points off the top, if i hadn't had the points deduction i would be 7 points clear.

Done it!!! 21st when taking over in November and promoted in play offs in June. But it was tight. Didnt lose a game with silk and skills but pulled back from two goals up in both legs of the play off semis and only won in the final on the 7th round of penalties. Now to build for next season....

and i

Done it!!! 21st when taking over in November and promoted in play offs in June. But it was tight. Didnt lose a game with silk and skills but pulled back from two goals up in both legs of the play off semis and only won in the final on the 7th round of penalties. Now to build for next season....

LOL, Penalties in a play off final. Hard on the nerves. nice one mate.

Started well in Skrill Prem. I had the best defence last season and i've only conceded 1 goal so far this year. That is not how I designed the tactic but well happy. Not scoring lots yet, but never do until i'm fluid. And i'm playing a 16 year old striker. (he had the attributes!)

esm5.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm still part time by the way, which i find a bit weird.

Coventry promoted 1st season finished 2nd without 10point deduction would have won it with 91pts CF(Callum Wilson)31goals CMA(Franck Moussa)16goals impressive stats all round, love the runs from the CMA.

Nice one.

you out of administration yet?

Thanks Mr Rosler...., I played last season with Fulcrum v4 and that managed to get my newly promoted Middlesbrough side a Champions league place, I started this season with giving Silk and Steel a go, we are in mid October and sitting top of the premier league, we did draw a tough CL group though, with both PSG and Barcelona. Went to the Nu Camp fearing the worst and this happened....

http://imageshack.com/a/img9/1082/m7xw.png

This is the team I used

http://imageshack.com/a/img542/1544/yxay.png

That you Mr Rosler, for the time you have put in to developing these tactics.

I used v4 to grab a Champions League place last season for my fairly average Middlesbrough side, and this season I decided to give Silk and Steel a go. Now in mid October and sitting top of the premier league, I have got a pretty tough Champions League group but this just happened!

m7xw.png

This is the team I played

yxay.png

Having lots of fun with Silk and Steel........

I must admit I loved v2, then loved V4 even more, it got my little Concord Rangers team to the premier league, and first season (my last one) I finished 5th :brock:

Sadly I'm not quite feeling the love for Silk and Steel, Currently 5th bottom, Main problem seems to be creating chances, I just cannot score a goal (Using last seasons pair who were top scorers) and the long shot ratio is through the roof,

It may just be second season syndrome:( (my Reputation went up to a good cup run, and the league finish) so other teams may be parking the bus etc. Maybe its just a morale tailspin thatanyone who plays FM will understand.

Odd really, V4 and Silk and Steel are very similar, So I will keep persevering with it, Hopefully a bounce after Christmas will see me ok, (January Transfer window :) )

This is just a little feedback, I'm not whining, I loved V2 and V4, and appreciate Uwe Roslers efforts enormously, Without his V2 I would still be in the Skrill South !

In the interest of balance , (and developing the tactic) I thought I would share my experience ( I may as a test replay this season twice more in Holiday mode using V4, then SS, and post back my findings)

Thanks again Mr Rosler good luck with Stockport

I must admit I loved v2, then loved V4 even more, it got my little Concord Rangers team to the premier league, and first season (my last one I finished 5th),

Sadly I'm not quite feeling the love for Silk and Steel, currently 5th bottom, Main problem seems to be creating chances, I just cannot score a goal (Using last seasons pair who were top scorers) and the long shot ratio is through the roof,

It may just be second season syndrome:( (my Reputation went up to a good cup run, and the league finish) so other teams may be parking the bus etc. maybe its just a morale tailspin that anyone who plays FM will understand.

Odd really, V4 and Silk and Steel are very similar, So I will keep persevering with it, Hopefully a bounce after Christmas will see me ok, (January Transfer window :) )

This is just a little feedback, I'm not whining, I loved V2 and V4, and appreciate Uwe Roslers efforts enormously, Without his V2 I would still be in the Skrill South !

In the interest of balance , and developing the tactic I thought I would share my experience ( I may as a test replay this season twice more in Holiday mode using V4, then SS, and post back my findings)

Thanks again Mr Rosler good luck with Stockport

All feedback welcome. good and bad.

Can you clarify a couple of points.

You got promoted last season using 'silk & steel' is that correct?

This year you are 5th bottom following promotion?

What stage of the season are you at the moment.

Are you still part time?

I am in a similar situation at the moment but are top of the league despite only scoring 11 goals in 10 games.

When you get fluid, the goals come.

If you are still part time it could be nov/dec before you are fully fluid. then you should get on a run.

Keep the faith!

The Proper Premier League, not the Skrill one:) (This is my long term save, and I am a long term "stalker" of your tactics thread:lol: )

I got promoted from L1 and the championship using V4, then finished fifth in the Premier using V4 , second season started using SS, Tactic was fluid almost immediately due to same (ish) squad, and the similarities between V4 and SS (and the 15 or so friendly matches I play each year)

I'm going to stick with it, for the whole season (almost January now) I think I let the morale slide too far at the start, its damn hard to get it back.

But initial impression is that for some reason V4 created more chances,

Maybe that regista was working in a hidden sort of way (not making key passes due to being deep, but perhaps making enough of the right sort of passes to the CM), The CM position seems to be the one struggling, with chances and goals this year (last year the CM got me 15, this year 3 so far.)

It may just be bad luck too, FM is like that, Lose a game for some silly reason, morale takes knock, player injured, then it all goes tits up quite quick, Second season syndrome too is playing a part)

Thanks for the quick reply, I will let you know the results of the Holiday save between V4 and SS (its hardly scientific I know, but may provide some insight)

I actually think the real issue here is one of reputation.

You've move through the league's so quickly you have always had a low 'rep' in your league so teams are not 'scared' of you. They attack you and are easier to break down.

After a high finish in the Prem I guarantee they are 'parking the bus'.

In my original save I finished 5th then 11th in the prem. So same story as you.

I then finished 3rd.

The key to unlocking parked defences is very high passing attributes across midfield and ALSO your full backs.

15 is the bare minimum if you want champions league football.

I would try and get 17 passing in at least a couple of my midfielders.

There will be a fair few of these guys available, but you will have to get rid of your old favourites. There is mo room for sentimentality here!

Also get an uber quick Complete forward. 18 acc should do it.

Good luck

first season with southampton, played 7 lost 5 drawn 1 and won 1, tactic is fluid, have the best players i can with the money i had, conceed way to many :(

not sure how you got the tactic fully fluid after 7 games in first season. took me over 30.

Not much to go on. for all i know you have could played Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City away.

I would give it at least half a season. 7 games is a small sample.

I am currently just starting my third season as manager of Tottenham. Yes yes, it´s not stockport, it´s super easy, blah blah blah! Just bought the game two weeks ago, need to warm up before I tackle Gillingham!

I started this game using another tactic for the first season, won the Premier League and Euro Cup along the way, bought Lewandowski, Belanta and Werner at the start of the first season.

Wanted to try a change so started using your tactic last season, sold off plenty of deadwood - By the way, do you guys have the "problem" of clubs paying far too much for your players? I sold Paulinho for £36m, he was worth £24m and then I sold Townsend... this is stupid, I sold him for £38m to Man Utd. Then transfer listed him the next year. He was only valued at 16m... Maybe I could see the Paulinho thing happening for real but not townsend! It was crazy!

Anyway, out with the wingers, in with Baines (18 cross) and Alex Sandro for cover (15 cross) and Barbossa. But may best piece of business, following your advice was Joel Matip, central defender from Schalke, cost me £12m. Due to the big money moves away, I had plenty of spending money, but choose him due to his stats. Jumping Reach 18, Tackling 17, Marking 16, Positioning 16. He was brilliant and one of the reasons I had the best defence of the league, only let in 16 goals, and won the league with 88 points. Only lost two games along the way, away to Arsenal and home to Stoke!

All in all, a brilliant tactic, really trying to following your scouting guidelines, just bought Håvard Nordtveit as backup for Sandro for £5m instead of someone more expensive due to his Jumping R 15, Str 15, Tack 14, Pos 15.

Apart from Matip, Baines was brillaint with his high crossing skill, Eriksson was great as Central Midfield Attack, so was Siguardsson.

Naturally, you score a lot of goals, although I do feel that with the number of chances you create each game, 8 out of 10 times I am sitting with 20+ created chances. A fair few times it ended up 0-0 at home vs a lower team with me absolutely dominating but not scoring. But I really can´t complain, won Prem and won the Champions Cup. Best result of the year, in the group stages beat FC Bayern away from hom 0-2! (Real, FC Bayern, Barcelona) all went out in the quarter finals! Toughest team I played were Dortmund.

Lewandowski scored the most goals in the league with 24, but he struggled after I got him to add places shots. To help him, with the excess money still buring a hole in my pocket I added Balotelli in Jan 2015, he has all the 4 key skills at 15(+) so he´s brillaint. Not too expensive either.

Never really mucked around with preferred moves before so I´d like some advice. Right now Lewandowskis moves are "Moves into Channels, Places Shots, Comes Deep to get the ball, Plays one-twos, stops play). Should I start removing all the others and then adding the remaining 3 preferred moves? And what would you do if your coach says it´s not a good idea? Get a better coach? :p or just overrule?

Otherwise Rosler, really good tactic, it was a joy to read as well!. I know I am using a "easy" team but it´s been great fun.

Added Veratti and Nordveit and just going through pre season reading to kick off season 3. Onwards and upwards!

I am currently just starting my third season as manager of Tottenham. Yes yes, it´s not stockport, it´s super easy, blah blah blah! Just bought the game two weeks ago, need to warm up before I tackle Gillingham!

I started this game using another tactic for the first season, won the Premier League and Euro Cup along the way, bought Lewandowski, Belanta and Werner at the start of the first season.

Wanted to try a change so started using your tactic last season, sold off plenty of deadwood - By the way, do you guys have the "problem" of clubs paying far too much for your players? I sold Paulinho for £36m, he was worth £24m and then I sold Townsend... this is stupid, I sold him for £38m to Man Utd. Then transfer listed him the next year. He was only valued at 16m... Maybe I could see the Paulinho thing happening for real but not townsend! It was crazy!

Anyway, out with the wingers, in with Baines (18 cross) and Alex Sandro for cover (15 cross) and Barbossa. But may best piece of business, following your advice was Joel Matip, central defender from Schalke, cost me £12m. Due to the big money moves away, I had plenty of spending money, but choose him due to his stats. Jumping Reach 18, Tackling 17, Marking 16, Positioning 16. He was brilliant and one of the reasons I had the best defence of the league, only let in 16 goals, and won the league with 88 points. Only lost two games along the way, away to Arsenal and home to Stoke!

All in all, a brilliant tactic, really trying to following your scouting guidelines, just bought Håvard Nordtveit as backup for Sandro for £5m instead of someone more expensive due to his Jumping R 15, Str 15, Tack 14, Pos 15.

Apart from Matip, Baines was brillaint with his high crossing skill, Eriksson was great as Central Midfield Attack, so was Siguardsson.

Naturally, you score a lot of goals, although I do feel that with the number of chances you create each game, 8 out of 10 times I am sitting with 20+ created chances. A fair few times it ended up 0-0 at home vs a lower team with me absolutely dominating but not scoring. But I really can´t complain, won Prem and won the Champions Cup. Best result of the year, in the group stages beat FC Bayern away from hom 0-2! (Real, FC Bayern, Barcelona) all went out in the quarter finals! Toughest team I played were Dortmund.

Lewandowski scored the most goals in the league with 24, but he struggled after I got him to add places shots. To help him, with the excess money still buring a hole in my pocket I added Balotelli in Jan 2015, he has all the 4 key skills at 15(+) so he´s brillaint. Not too expensive either.

Never really mucked around with preferred moves before so I´d like some advice. Right now Lewandowskis moves are "Moves into Channels, Places Shots, Comes Deep to get the ball, Plays one-twos, stops play). Should I start removing all the others and then adding the remaining 3 preferred moves? And what would you do if your coach says it´s not a good idea? Get a better coach? :p or just overrule?

Otherwise Rosler, really good tactic, it was a joy to read as well!. I know I am using a "easy" team but it´s been great fun.

Added Veratti and Nordveit and just going through pre season reading to kick off season 3. Onwards and upwards!

I tend not to mess with 'untraining' preferred moves as I consider it part of their character.

But I do consider them. Lewandowski should not be played in the complete forward position. But he would be a great F9.

thanks for the advice Rosler!

Out of interest, did you play Lewandowski as a complete forward?

It sounds like you had been doing. obviously a great striker will score goals in any forward position but in this game, those PPM's would work against him being a complete forward within the framework of this tactic. Good PPM's for the F9 though :brock:

That you Mr Rosler, for the time you have put in to developing these tactics.

I used v4 to grab a Champions League place last season for my fairly average Middlesbrough side, and this season I decided to give Silk and Steel a go. Now in mid October and sitting top of the premier league, I have got a pretty tough Champions League group but this just happened!

m7xw.png

This is the team I played

yxay.png

Having lots of fun with Silk and Steel........

I missed that earlier. Great result. Tactic seems to function well when teams under estimate you and attack all out. Its makes results like this possible :thup:

Well, it's now Feb. 19 and my Stockport squad has finally hit "Accomplished" in tactical fluidity. I've been using it all season. The season will be over before we become fluid!

2nd season i tried Cleons approach. 12 friendlies, no rest days before or after matches. I think will be fluid by november. Part time training really holding this back.

2nd season i tried Cleons approach. 12 friendlies, no rest days before or after matches. I think will be fluid by november. Part time training really holding this back.

Uwe, I think you just need to realise you need a different approach to part time. Of course wed had 29 games with the new tactic the season before but when player came back on 7th July I went very high on tactics and on the left and also tactics on the right and I was accomplished by August. Im now average on cohesion and also def set pieces for the next month. Three games in we have a 2-1 - 0 record and remain unbeaten (32 games) with this new tactic with a team that has hardly any money and few changes from the team that lay 21st when ı took over.

Oh , I think 12 friendlies is way too much especially in the Skrill where players do not recover so quickly. I think 8 is the magic number.

Uwe, I think you just need to realise you need a different approach to part time. Of course wed had 29 games with the new tactic the season before but when player came back on 7th July I went very high on tactics and on the left and also tactics on the right and I was accomplished by August. Im now average on cohesion and also def set pieces for the next month. Three games in we have a 2-1 - 0 record and remain unbeaten (32 games) with this new tactic with a team that has hardly any money and few changes from the team that lay 21st when ı took over.

Oh , I think 12 friendlies is way too much especially in the Skrill where players do not recover so quickly. I think 8 is the magic number.

I still believe the priority is to get fully fluid as soon as possible but each to their own.

The tactics under general training (on the left) only helps develop your players tactical related attributes and does not help in anyway with tactic familiarity.

rosler do u have any specific team talks or not? still struggling with southampton!

Not really.

I know a few guys on here are pretty harsh a lot of the time i,e 'expecting wins' etc.

I tend to use 'carry on where you left off' and 'kick on in the 2nd half' when they are available.

I only tend to be harsh when they really deserve it.

how is morale in your team?

Ah, the Dark Skin, why didnt I go to you earlier?

Ok, tactic is fully fluid by 4th November. Pretty happy with that.

More importantly.

b88y.png

My unbelievably pants Complete Forward is doing the business again and is the League's top scorer despite only being rated as 'decent' for the divison BELOW!

k7xi.png

x6pe.png

Another example of where recruitment based on key attributes has worked for us.

Not really.

I know a few guys on here are pretty harsh a lot of the time i,e 'expecting wins' etc.

I tend to use 'carry on where you left off' and 'kick on in the 2nd half' when they are available.

I only tend to be harsh when they really deserve it.

how is morale in your team?

its on and off to be fair, won minute i get a win next i lose 3 then win one and draw one, will hopefully finish season tommorow and then can recruit better

Sandy is a beast, I signed him for my leamington season. I wasn;t using this tactic at the time but one of my own and he was on fire from midfield, so I would say he would work very well in the CMA spot in this tactic. I've since got rid of him so haven't been able to test him with this tactic. I have a bloke called alex francis, who is a beast there, well he is also good on the left side of the cm and takes a mean free kick.

Have to say this tactic with a couple of tweaks has done wonders for my leamington team. After 5 seasons of either barely staying up or mid table obscurity this season, first full season with this tactic and we have finished third. If I they could of turned the ridiculous amount of draws into wins we would of won the league easily. Just need to win the play offs and I can finally take them up.

So thanks for this tactic Mr Rosler, I am going to have a mess with some more tweaks to see if I can turn those draws into wins.

Looking to use this tactics with Liverpool. Starting XI looks like this:

GK: Mignolet

DL: José Enrique

DCd: Skrtel/Agger

DCc: Sakho

DR: Johnson

DMC: Lucas

BBM: Gerrard

BBM: Henderson/Allen

CMa: Coutino (needs training as MC)

F9: Suarez

CF: Sturridge/Aspas

I play with 1st transfer window off, so I won't be able to bring anyone in until January. I'd consider GK, both full backs and BBM (aside from Gerrard) as the weakness of the team. Any ideas or suggestions? Sterling is a diamond in the rough but he doesn't fit the tactics at all. Should I retrain him to one of the striker roles or am I better off selling him? Lucas doesn't really fit the mold of your big, intimidating Anchor Man but I don't have any better options. I might be looking to play Lucas as a BBM and bring in a bigger guy to anchor the defense. Also, I just can't decide which DC to pair with Sakho. Agger looks slightly better overall but Skrtel is slightly better in your 4 key areas.

Looking to use this tactics with Liverpool. Starting XI looks like this:

GK: Mignolet

DL: José Enrique

DCd: Skrtel/Agger

DCc: Sakho

DR: Johnson

DMC: Lucas

BBM: Gerrard

BBM: Henderson/Allen

CMa: Coutino (needs training as MC)

F9: Suarez

CF: Sturridge/Aspas

I play with 1st transfer window off, so I won't be able to bring anyone in until January. I'd consider GK, both full backs and BBM (aside from Gerrard) as the weakness of the team. Any ideas or suggestions? Sterling is a diamond in the rough but he doesn't fit the tactics at all. Should I retrain him to one of the striker roles or am I better off selling him? Lucas doesn't really fit the mold of your big, intimidating Anchor Man but I don't have any better options. I might be looking to play Lucas as a BBM and bring in a bigger guy to anchor the defense. Also, I just can't decide which DC to pair with Sakho. Agger looks slightly better overall but Skrtel is slightly better in your 4 key areas.

Looks like the basis of a very good team to me. You will need to rotate the centre backs at times so they will all get games so dont stress about that.

Not to sure about sterling as never played as liverpool. Is young enough to retrain. perhaps striker/false 9?

I still believe the priority is to get fully fluid as soon as possible but each to their own.

The tactics under general training (on the left) only helps develop your players tactical related attributes and does not help in anyway with tactic familiarity.

I agree Uwe but the way I do it seems to get me fluid before the season starts...as I said it may be because this is now my second season. As you said though, each to his own :)

Well, I never did get fluid for an entire season with Stockport. Wondering just how many matches they expect me to play to be come fluid. Still I won the Skrill North and the FA Trophy, so definitely a good year. Great tactic!

Archived