FM14 Plug and Play 'Under Pressure'

Introduction

I have been working on a tactic that basically encompasses the sort of pressure football, that I see football evolving towards.

The following tactic has the whole team putting pressure on the opposition to attain possession, then works the ball into the box, via crosses or short passing, to achieve goals.

This is a plug and play tactic that works with all teams of all levels. The better the team, the better the results. I have not bought or edited anything. The original squad/staff etc are what is used throughout the season.

Tactical Set Up

The purpose of the tactic is to pressurise the opposition into losing the ball high up the pitch. Defending from the front. This is done by making all the players undertake defensive roles. Then once in possession, the ball is retained and chances are hopefully created. By pressurising higher up the pitch, the aim is to harry the opposition into mistakes.

Choice of player roles

A goalkeeper and flat back four were chosen to basically do the job of keeping things tight at the back. The fullbacks were set to automatic to adapt and support attacks if and when they were needed.

The MC's are ball winning midfielders. Their sole remit is to attain possession and break up the oppositions play.

The wingers (AML/AMR) are basically defensive wingers. I wanted both to put pressure on the opposing team's fullbacks and again attain possession high up the pitch.

The forwards are both defensive forwards and as such are required to win the ball high up the pitch. I have tweaked them to run into channels so that when we are in possession they suddenly break into space.

Match Preparation/training/Opposition Instructions/team talks

I have the players training high intensity in order to learn tactics only. This is so the tactic becomes fluid as soon as possible. Thereafter, I have the players focusing on defensive positioning.

I use no opposition instructions.

When selecting the team, my only advice is select fit players. No one under 95% should be selected.

I'm loath to go into team talks etc, as that's mainly "how you play the game" and i'm not one for destroying or dictating folks individual experience. I expect a win assertively at the start or tell them to enjoy. If I am not 3 goals goal I tell them aggressively I expect something better in the second half. If they are 3 goals up I tell them passionately I am happy with what they are doing and to keep it up.

Team Instructions

These are listed below. They are chosen to fit the ethos I have outlined I want the team to commit to. The whole tactic is about compressing the space the opposition have to work in. Hence the high offside line and hassling opponents, coupled with the player roles.

I have chosen an attacking mentality as I expect my defensively minded players to win the ball high up the pitch, therefore as soon as they are in possession, I want them to attack. Its the only way to get round the conflicting player roles I have assigned. If I have a counter or defensive or even a standard mentality, the players seem to be more passive when in possession.

i4ntxy.png

Results - League Table

Vpb7FlZ.png

Original Pressure tactic

http://www.mediafire.com/?snxy1csezpeq79b

Under Pressure Formation Tweak

http://www.mediafire.com/?nd62od1u1a8ma15

Under Pressure Defensive Tweak

http://www.mediafire.com/?nqtgwlcoh4dtjtt

or alternatively at The Dugout;

http://www.thedugout.tv/community/showthread.php?p=4056950#post4056950

Or FM-base

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-14-tactics/145062-chrissys-famous-winning-under-pressure-tactic.html

*****thread on FM-Base deleted due to unwanted testing and unfair commenting*************8

************************************************************************************************

Introduction

Ok folks. I have taken on board all the feedback given.

First of all I have to be honest. The initial tactic was a turd defensively and the updates were variations of a turd. It was offensively excellent though. Thank you to all that tested them.

I also took feedback on the corner exploit. As such in testing I switched all my set pieces to mixed and let the tactic roll. The tactic I post however will include the exploit, as simply folk ask for it regardless. If you wish to amend this, then please do so.

Now in testing I decided that a mid/lower team would be required to prove the tactic's worth. Everton were admittedly Mid/higher, so I felt with the defence sorted this tactic should work with a lower level team.

I chose Norwich as they had a nice blend of players and a squad that had players in positions that suited the tactic.

Now, the screenshots below show the league table and various examples of stats in relation to the tactic working.

A more detailed analysis will show you the AML/AMR and FC's roles applying pressure, as with previous versions, is important. I have not included this analysis mainly because its unchanged from the original pressure tactic.

Now, occasionally I would use opposition instructions to close down the AML/AMR/ML/MR/AMC. I think there is merit with this approach.

Rationale

This tactic is basically a blend between defensive roles with an attacking mentality. It is also a fusion between pressure and possession.

Goals come from the midfield and forwards. The defence's job is to defend.

Now success with this tactic is dependant upon various factors like all tactics. Team management, team talks, match preparation, player selection with regards to the role required, training and knowing when to make subs and amend tactics when they need amending. I can't play your game for you and neither can anyone else creating tactics. Use your judgement and make mistakes and learn from them.

I have included a "run the clock down" version of this tactic. The reason for doing so is to give those wishing to simply change up with a couple of clicks the chance to do so. For more intricate requests, your on your own.

Now, you will all have questions and that's the purpose for this thread. Help each other and discuss. I'll pop in now and again to answer what I can.

The links can be found below to download it;

http://www.thedugout.tv/community/showthread.php?p=4066510#post4066510

http://www.mediafire.com/?a1e51ldttzbuk3v - 4-2-2-2 Chrissy's Way

http://www.mediafire.com/?mh7bar8x05cvkiy - Chrissy's Pressure Balanced

http://www.mediafire.com/?w3w5y1v9jtc5sq0 - Chrissy's Pressure Balanced - Timewaste

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9hdb057425po9d8/P2+-+Attack3-1-2-2-2.tac - P2 - Attack 3-1-2-2-2

Enjoy folks, this is the proverbial dogs bollocks. This to be shared or passed on only with my express permission and consent. Analysis of the tactic can be found below.

Thread on pressure below;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375168-Chrissy-s-Tactical-Concepts-Part-1-Pressure-(other-parts-will-be-added-on-this-thread)

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tactical Analysis

The players routinely press high up the pitch and win possession, for examples of this look at the images listed directly below;

I have amended the set pieces to deal with the near post corner goals. So ignore your assistant who tells you to take a man off the near post. You need that man.

Tactical Analysis will be shown below;

V0C2GmQ.jpg

7FqyLgx.jpg

i7lgjqe.jpg

Great results GlesgaKillie! I was also using a 4-2-4, with different instructions but also good results.

It's a shame that the ME just isn't good enough yet. Since the last beta update and up until now, goals scored have gone down, and players missing too many easy chances became too annoying for me, so I decided to wait at least for the next patch before investing time in a serious save.

The good - Possession is great even away at big clubs. lots of shots, though this is for for both teams

The bad - conceding from at least 1 corner every game though... near post corner, shot usually a scramble, which results in a goal

Strange, are the set pieces set to having two players at the near post? I amended the tactic to include that. Find that very strange. I have conceded only 4 corners with Everton all season with 2 games to go dude. Only thing I can imagine is that the tactic is not fluid and the defensive positioning of your team is low.

I shall be editing the opening post to give instructions on how to set up etc later on this evening.

What's the thinking with the wingers being set to cross to near post?

Also Finding the wingers beating there men, getting to the byline and then not crossing, they then proceed to work the ball back to the full back so they can work it to the edge of the area for the midfielder to have a shot.

What's the thinking with the wingers being set to cross to near post?

Also Finding the wingers beating there men, getting to the byline and then not crossing, they then proceed to work the ball back to the full back so they can work it to the edge of the area for the midfielder to have a shot.

There are two forwards, one tends to go for either post. hence setting. Harder to defend a near post cross in real life, hence instruction. With regards to the wingers, I can't comment as your players are no doubt different from the ones I'm using and therefore have different characteristics and may deviate from the instructions given.

I'm getting absolutely destroyed in about 70% of games using this as stuggart. Alot of games giving up 4+

It defaults on attacking? although it seems to be setup for a more defensive mode.

I've spoken to about 90+ folk who have had success so far today with it dude. Can't comment on specific cases but if your team talks, training, match prep and the players you pick to play in the positions are not suitable to the role then those are factors that can greatly influence results. Most folk are having success, are you sure you are not tinkering? Have you had it in form the start of pre-season and got it fluid yet?

Congratulations GlasgaKillie on creating an excellent tactical set up. I have been using the same shape in my set up, but I must say I have now implemented a few of your ideas (defensive forwards and some of the team instructions mainly) and its kicked my own tactic on no end so a big thumbs up from me :thup:

I'm loath to go into team talks etc, as that's mainly "how you play the game" and i'm not one for destroying or dictating folks individual experience. I expect a win assertively at the start or tell them to enjoy. If I am not 3 goals goal I tell them aggressively I expect something better in the second half. If they are 3 goals up I tell them passionately I am happy with what they are doing and to keep it up.

I'll edit the OP to reflect this.

4-2-4 formation paid off already in FM2012, great edition BTW; hence, I'm very eager to try it.

GlesgaKillie, how do you cope against stronger sides?

so far as southampton without changing a thing, ive beaten everton away, lost badly to chelsea away, beat man utd at home comfortably, and beat west ham at home comfortably. personally i dont change anything, defensive positioning when 100% fluid will deal with the bigger boys, and give you better counter attacking leverage :)

Not really a tactic for Skrillex league.

Depends on the players you use really. Its a rigid and disciplined tactic, not one that requires flair players. I can't legislate for individual mistakes or decisions you make outwith the tactic that may influence results dude.

I am doing a skrillex save just now and its going well. Will upload results asap.

so far as southampton without changing a thing, ive beaten everton away, lost badly to chelsea away, beat man utd at home comfortably, and beat west ham at home comfortably. personally i dont change anything, defensive positioning when 100% fluid will deal with the bigger boys, and give you better counter attacking leverage :)

Yep, pretty much found this to be the case. I wasn't invincible and its not a 'diablo'. Just a tactic that uses a concept of pressurising the opposition to the extreme.

Soviet, if a player is a AML play him in AML. Obviously a more defensively sound attributed the player is the better, but it is not essential. I just let me ass.man pick the players via the quick pick :) A player with pace who can dribble and cross would be good as well. I could answer 101 questions like this, ideally its your choice as a manager to choose the players etc. I have provided the tactic but a lot of the external decisions you make will influence results dude.

I think the great think about FM14 is that you can have a great tactic but it counts for nothing if the players hate you, your team talks are awful and the external factors influence the on field stuff.

I'll edit the OP to reflect this.

Looking at testing this out as a different style of play to what I currently run with.

Also very interested with your team talks, as the approach is different to mine and looking to learn about how others handle them.

Given your forcefulness approach pre and HT, how do you handle end of game team talks if you A} Win big, B} Win, but only just, C} draw, D} lose?

I've tried this out with Southampton, which aren't the best side to use due to the lack of players for the positions, but i'm getting some alright results with it. It seems to cause the striker to have a lot of long shots though, which is annoying. Anyone else getting the same?

I've tried this out with Southampton, which aren't the best side to use due to the lack of players for the positions, but i'm getting some alright results with it. It seems to cause the striker to have a lot of long shots though, which is annoying. Anyone else getting the same?

If the striker has that as a preferred move that could be the issue. Or simply just a case of that's where the chances are for him. Not had it as a noticeable issue in 4 seasons of testing.

having real problems with this tactic please help im with Liverpool

Have you followed all the instructions in the opening post? Have you given it two months to bed in. Match preparation, training, playing players in the correct roles, team talks etc.

Archived