FM 14 is impossible, isn't it?

i may be jumping the gun here a little as it's only been out 5 minutes, but i am struggling to understand the new tactic system. the old sliders were perhaps not the most realistic option, but you did at least feel you had control over many aspects of the game, whereas with this new system the instructions you give the team and the players are so generalised and vague, it's hard to pin point what's going right and what's going wrong. whilst it's true many real life managers don't go into specific detail and will dish out general instructions, there are many who will let their players know exactly where to be on the pitch at any given point, where to be when in possession and when without. the best tactic system fm ever had was some years ago, i forget how many, where you could arrange your team just like that - if the ball is here, then your team lines up like this. they should bring that back. as it stands my first impression of this new system is a bit of a mess. am i alone in this?

I read an article about FM13 a few months ago in which the author actually worked on the tactics team for the game. He said that for the vast majority of people messing with the individual sliders was pretty much suicide for a tactic unless they had an insane understanding of what each slider did and how it affected the other sliders, he explained how the players role, team instructions and shouts shaped how the sliders set up both for the team and individual players. The gist of what I got from the conversation is that although the sliders as such aren't available for us the users to access and change, but they do still exist in the game (reading between the lines it was suggested sliders would disappear in future versions), and it's still how the computer translates our tactics into what happens on the pitch. I was struggling to find and create a tactic for my team until I read what he had to say about it and how to not look at individual roles but put them together as a collective unit and the best ways to utilize players etc. Here's the article; http://www.sigames.com/news/14203/12+tips+for+the+FM13+Match+Engine

I personally found sliders almost depressing to work with, particularly pre-FM13 trainings when you had to create training schedules for your players. As for tactics, I'm thinking that most of the casual FM players would be pretty confused by all the sliders and removing it is actually a good thing to help broaden the game's appeal.

• SI Staff

Well I don't agree with you. I think most of all the new system is just a new gameplay...

You still have a lot to control, but despite of thinking sliders....you just need to think role and instructions.

The most important now is to understand the team shouts as they are powerful to adapt your tactics to the match or to adapt a basic system to what you expect from your team.

About players, you need to understand what to really expect from a role, then create a cohesive system and adjust with individual instructions if required by the system, suiting the player or expected...A cohesive system makes the fundamental basis that you need but isn't enough.

I understand that you can have the feeling to have lost some control as there were 20 steps by sliders...but are you sure that changing 1 or 2 steps in a slider did really impact or was it just a placebo?

Did you really understand the relationship between all of them and the player?

Sliders didn't always exist...just try to download the demo from CM03-04.:) There was less choice than now but we already did have ways to adapt the tactic.

You can still control everything, the only difference is the how to. I can be hard especially if you focused on sliders more than on shouts...but it isn't impossible. I played the FM13 without using sliders at all...and did have results.

I hope you'll find the way to use this new gameplay. Pretty sure that soon you'll find a lot of guides to help you with.

Cheers

Well i think they have destroyed their own amazing product.. It really pathetick. With the sliders i was already not that great but now i think you totally have no kind of influence on your players.. I liked to play with small clubs and go above the expectations.. Some times that worked, some times i failed hard but it was fun.. Now its just Play with big clubs with already great players than you can have nice games.. But with say Swansea or something you can be happy with the 8 place every season because they are small en with the new way tactics work its about buying the best players and not about tactic..

It's definitely possible to do well with 'smaller' clubs. First season with Derby I walked the Championship, second season I finished 6th the in Prem (would have made the Champions League if it weren't for a march injury crisis) and got to the finals of both domestic cup competitions.

Well i think they have destroyed their own amazing product.. It really pathetick. With the sliders i was already not that great but now i think you totally have no kind of influence on your players.. I liked to play with small clubs and go above the expectations.. Some times that worked, some times i failed hard but it was fun.. Now its just Play with big clubs with already great players than you can have nice games.. But with say Swansea or something you can be happy with the 8 place every season because they are small en with the new way tactics work its about buying the best players and not about tactic..
I could probably win the league with Swanseas starting squad in the first year, and I'm sure there are a few others that could do the same

just because you think its impossible dont mean it is, infact its the other way around, the game is way to easy

As football fans we understand football concepts. The tactical instructions now use football concepts and that makes it easier to design a match engine that implements football concepts. The result to my eyes is far more reflective of the choices I make. There's never been a version of FM where you have had more influence. I'm actually finding it easier to manage a small team than in the past, because I don't have to translate my ideas or find the right setting.

I get that people have invested time in learning the sliders and understand slider language - years of experience for most of us. It is hard to let go, but if you are willing to invest a small amount of time in getting to grips with the new system, without thinking in terms of slider settings, you will see the benefits and you will exert greater influence over your team.

Archived