How to Play FM: A Twelve Step Guide

If you think pace is a problem in this game, it was unstoppable in FM12, I think they have toned it down to a nice level now that doesn't make pace insignificant which it isn't.

Thats beside the point. I have won the Russian League and Cup my first season in charge, so I am not having any problems winning and just hear to complain. Stop beating a dead horse and saying pace is not an issue. If you dont want to provide constructive answers no need to just say I am wrong.

If you have played in the Russian league and think pace isnt a problem then I am ready to listen. Also I simply want someone to suggest a way to deal with pace.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not denying that, but at least you admitted that pace is a thing, just as it is in real life. I was just looking for someone who admitted that, I dont fault the game for being fast but pacy players are winning best player of the month in my league. I dont think thats a coincidence. I beat the pacy teams, but its sometimes ridiculous how good they play. I check their stats but Khirkov who played for Chelsea has finishing of 6, but never misses a shot.

Yes a lot of people whine about games but lets face the truth, I am just speaking facts. I want those who respond to be objective.

Has anyone played in the Russian league or against Russian clubs?

Instead of pointing out that I am blaming the game, I prefer to hear a solution to dealing with pacy players. dropping deeper doesnt help because pace seems to equal anticipation lol.

To be honest my right back and left back suck since you can only have 7 foreign players on your team and all the best Russian players wont come to my team haha

Once again, you are receiving several requests for information and offers of help, but you need to actually give us the information. If you can show us your set up we can start showing how you are vulnerable. Seriously, show us the information and we will help. If you would rather moan and ignore offers of help then I'd rather not hear it here. This thread and forum exists to help.

Thats beside the point. I have won the Russian League and Cup my first season in charge, so I am not having any problems winning and just hear to complain. Stop beating a dead horse and saying pace is not an issue. If you dont want to provide constructive answers no need to just say I am wrong.

If you have played in the Russian league and think pace isnt a problem then I am ready to listen. Also I simply want someone to suggest a way to deal with pace.

I thought you wanted to stop missing so many chances? Anyway as far as I was concerned it was just a discussion, no need to get on your high horse really. It's a game, nothing more. Plenty of people have offered to help you already, asking you to post your set up and so on, there are some great minds on here, I'd suggest doing that to find the answers you are after. Good luck.

timbone - as every man, his dog and his dog's cat have said - please post your setup if you want help.

Pace isn't as important as you suggest and plankton could create tactics yielding 30+ shots per game. Indeed it is exactly this sort of setup which creates so much frustration for people who don't step back and think about why such an apparently creative system is so impotent. Quality, not quantity wins matches.

If you just want to complain then please head over to general discussion where the Mods will deliver equally short shrift.

I thought you wanted to stop missing so many chances? Anyway as far as I was concerned it was just a discussion, no need to get on your high horse really. It's a game, nothing more. Plenty of people have offered to help you already, asking you to post your set up and so on, there are some great minds on here, I'd suggest doing that to find the answers you are after. Good luck.

I apologize for being rude. I have studied the game but the truth is that I have a more objective view as this is my first game in the series. I dont have any other to compare it to.

To all the other posts. I actually have no setup. I now just change it based on the team that I play against, I end up playing a game more than thrice before getting a win though.

I used a preset tactic : 4231 beautiful game from the workshop which yielded so much shots but not enough goals.

Again I have no setup, I am being an empty canvas so please write lol.

I prefer using 4 2 3 1 but my midfield gets outrun a lot since I prefer to use two CM, having to switch to one or two DM depending on the team.

Like I said earlier, I am looking for something different.

I apologize again for being abrasive and sounding like I am on a high horse, I am a canvas really. I cant even ride horses lol

Ok well the fact you have no setup and change it constantly, kind of indicates your team is constantly unsettled. Can you perhaps indicate your most common setup? Your 4-2-3-1 perhaps and your preferred instructions and we can go from there. Anything to start with will help us.

I apologize for being rude. I have studied the game but the truth is that I have a more objective view as this is my first game in the series. I dont have any other to compare it to.

To all the other posts. I actually have no setup. I now just change it based on the team that I play against, I end up playing a game more than thrice before getting a win though.

I used a preset tactic : 4231 beautiful game from the workshop which yielded so much shots but not enough goals.

Again I have no setup, I am being an empty canvas so please write lol.

I prefer using 4 2 3 1 but my midfield gets outrun a lot since I prefer to use two CM, having to switch to one or two DM depending on the team.

Like I said earlier, I am looking for something different.

I apologize again for being abrasive and sounding like I am on a high horse, I am a canvas really. I cant even ride horses lol

4-2-3-1 has proved very difficult for a lot of people I believe in this years version, I don't mean to refer back to older versions, I forget that some people maybe are new to the game. Anyway as I was saying it has proved a problematic formation to get right I believe, and of course it is a very popular formation. That's not to say it's impossible, I have had several working versions of that very formation, but to be honest I didn't stick with them for long because I always believed I could gain more of an edge using a different formation.

Some of the problems with it.

You really need two holding players in center midfield, or at least two static players, at least one on a defensive duty. If you have a runner type in the center, you constantly get found out, especially v teams that play with an attacking midfielder.

There has also been a lot of debate about wide players in the AML/AMR v having players in the ML/MR slots, the advanced wide players do little defensively.

Moreover, my biggest problem with the formation is how you can't really have runners from midfield, which I really like to have as part of my tactics. I often use the same formation but with a DM rather than an AM, to me this opens up so many more options in the center of midfield. You can have attacking players in there, advanced playmakers, what ever you like, and it's just as easy to make it a bit more defensive minded if needed at any point. With the 4-3-2-1 you basically have 4 players that do most of the attacking for you, and your AM role is pivotal to the whole set up. If he has a bad game, or gets marked out of the game, it can be very difficult to get a foothold in a match. That said, if that's how you want to play, you certainly can get it to work without a doubt.

4-2-3-1 has proved very difficult for a lot of people I believe in this years version, I don't mean to refer back to older versions, I forget that some people maybe are new to the game. Anyway as I was saying it has proved a problematic formation to get right I believe, and of course it is a very popular formation. That's not to say it's impossible, I have had several working versions of that very formation, but to be honest I didn't stick with them for long because I always believed I could gain more of an edge using a different formation.

Some of the problems with it.

You really need two holding players in center midfield, or at least two static players, at least one on a defensive duty. If you have a runner type in the center, you constantly get found out, especially v teams that play with an attacking midfielder.

There has also been a lot of debate about wide players in the AML/AMR v having players in the ML/MR slots, the advanced wide players do little defensively.

Moreover, my biggest problem with the formation is how you can't really have runners from midfield, which I really like to have as part of my tactics. I often use the same formation but with a DM rather than an AM, to me this opens up so many more options in the center of midfield. You can have attacking players in there, advanced playmakers, what ever you like, and it's just as easy to make it a bit more defensive minded if needed at any point. With the 4-3-2-1 you basically have 4 players that do most of the attacking for you, and your AM role is pivotal to the whole set up. If he has a bad game, or gets marked out of the game, it can be very difficult to get a foothold in a match. That said, if that's how you want to play, you certainly can get it to work without a doubt.

Thanks for the reply just like you said, I end up using a DM instead of AM© most games. QUick question, how do you get players to pass rather than shoot?

I am thinking players with high creativity stats shoot less often, also preferred moves seems to come into play. I have some players who simply love to shoot but its ridiculous wayward haha. Even giving shoot less instructions with very rigid and be more disciplined doesnt deter them haha

I read somewhere and decided to turn off all instructions. I did stick to 4231 with two CMs for the longest time and it just wasnt working. I started to try using the formation my scouts suggested for my team. I did read somewhere on steam that changing formations unsettled the team but on the same post he said change formation to fit situation which to me is very contradictory.

Also what about the Assistant coach suggestions in the match feed, is it wise to use it or not?

Firstly forget the assistant, he is all but useless. As for the long shots, if they have the shoots from distance ppm, then you are going to struggle to stop this, other than that what positions are shooting instead of passing, it will often be because there isn't a better option, although wide players do like to have a pop sometimes when there is better options. I have had no problems with central players taking pot shots for no reason, other than the shoots from distance ppm, which is a curse at times.

I don't think people recognize how attacking a 4231 with 3 AM is, especially when playing control/attacking mentality.

In my current game I use 4231 (3 AMC) and 433 (DM,2CM,AML,AMR,ST), with either Control or Counter. I switch formation and/or mentality depending on if I feel threatened by an opponent AMC or if I want to keep my AMC threat.

Changing formation does affect your team familarity with the tactic but it depends what game mode you are playing. I think the "classic" version it doesn't.

One thing that is obviously going to cause you issues is the lack of support for the FBs in any 4-2-3-1. If it's the narrow 4-2-3-1, they barely get any support at all. If it's the wide 4-2-3-1, the wingers will help a little bit but have a strong tendency to stay high.

As you stated in post 350, your FBs aren't very good. With that formation and poor FBs, it's not surprising pacey forwards cause you trouble. It's really no more complex than that.

As for your comments about Zhirkov, he's playing for a top Russian team and will be expected to score goals even with a low finishing stat because of the quality of the players around him. Scoring goals is not just about the finishing attribute.

Thanks for the replies. So what formation provides better support for the fullbacks? using wide midfielders instead of attacking midfielders?

I currently have only AMs. Does the player's suitability for a position affect how he plays a lot?

Firstly forget the assistant, he is all but useless. As for the long shots, if they have the shoots from distance ppm, then you are going to struggle to stop this, other than that what positions are shooting instead of passing, it will often be because there isn't a better option, although wide players do like to have a pop sometimes when there is better options. I have had no problems with central players taking pot shots for no reason, other than the shoots from distance ppm, which is a curse at times.

Hahaha funny, made me laugh

Anyone can create 30 shots though there is nothing special about it. It's the quality of the shots created which is the most important factor. Create 30 really good chances and then you'll get my praise :)

I'm not a die hard fan either I haven't played the game for a while now. But what I do know is how the game works and can see how people are going wrong with their set ups and how they work/don't work. I suggest you take wwfan's advice and explain your set up so we can get you winning again.

Also star rating honestly means nothing. A 2 star striker going past a 4 star defender means nothing at all and just because one has a higher rating doesn't mean he has the correct attributes for the role or that he will stop less players beating him from time to time. How realistic would that approach be? Going by that logic everyone would just look at star ratings and get 5 star players then only other 5 star players could beat them.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I hope to get a 2 star defender to tackle Messi haha

Thanks for the replies. So what formation provides better support for the fullbacks? using wide midfielders instead of attacking midfielders?

I currently have only AMs. Does the player's suitability for a position affect how he plays a lot?

Well full backs are exposed in formations with no other wide players, or, with the wide players in the AM strata as they frequently fail to track back enough. Are the AM's you refer to AMC's? That's ok, but you need to get your full backs offering enough width to make up for it, and enough defensive presence in midfield to then make up for the full backs getting forward. Every player knocks on to the rest of the system. A player's suitability for the role and position is very important. It will affect the decisions he makes constantly throughout a game and the way he applies himself.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I hope to get a 2 star defender to tackle Messi haha

Even the worst teams in La Liga tend to manage about 2 dispossessions of Messi per match. He's actually tackled more than that, but I can't find stats on unsuccessful take-ons.

If it were impossible for a mediocre defender to tackle Messi, Barcelona would win most of their games by about 180 goals.

AMCs or AMR/Ls?

Well full backs are exposed in formations with no other wide players, or, with the wide players in the AM strata as they frequently fail to track back enough. Are the AM's you refer to AMC's? That's ok, but you need to get your full backs offering enough width to make up for it, and enough defensive presence in midfield to then make up for the full backs getting forward. Every player knocks on to the rest of the system. A player's suitability for the role and position is very important. It will affect the decisions he makes constantly throughout a game and the way he applies himself.

I was buying players based on their star level or potential. I will get defensive fullbacks who have the correct attributes for the role.

I started replacing my midfielders with those who dictate tempo as a way to maintain possession but I really need to get Vidal like midfielders or mascherano esque. I do have Biglia though but just him because he dictates tempo. Thanks for the tip. I guess my squad is due for another overall. I need to get a pacy CB with the right attributes for covering and defensive midfielders and fullbacks haha a lot of shopping to do.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I will get players to destroy the feet of my opponents De Jong style lol

Remember - full backs as the lone wide men need to get forward to offer width - this is essential.

As a brief add-on to Llama's advice, I also find that playing a midfield role with 'move into channels' also provides good support for the lone wide man. I'm still playing FM13 in the 2103/4 season and currently use a very rigid, counter sweeper set-up as follows...hopefully Llama won't tear it to pieces

GK(d)

SW(d)

CD(d) x 2

WB(s) A(d) WB(a)

CM(a) BBM(s)

AP(a)

CF(s)

As a brief add-on to Llama's advice, I also find that playing a midfield role with 'move into channels' also provides good support for the lone wide man. I'm still playing FM13 in the 2103/4 season and currently use a very rigid, counter sweeper set-up as follows...hopefully Llama won't tear it to pieces

GK(d)

SW(d)

CD(d) x 2

WB(s) A(d) WB(a)

CM(a) BBM(s)

AP(a)

CF(s)

No chance of me tearing that up - looks very nice!

Thanks.

I am thinking of using a 3 5 2 or 3 6 1 myself as my defensive formation. Facing zenit is getting ridiculous. They are now using a 4 1 2 1 2 narrow and have a lot of long range shooters and pacy forwards so defending deeper or higher is suicide. I am getting outnumbered in midfield too.

I finally beat Zenit using your 3 6 1 formation, but has anyone been successful with a 3 5 2? I am thinking of getting midfielders who are simply ball winning or box to box and riding myself of players like Huddlestone who are Pirlo like and can attack beautifullly with killer balls but do next to nothing defensively. I am thinking of giving the Van Gaal another try lol

Haha thanks to you guys advice I am playing much better but losing to a Russian division team after beating Juventus with almost the same team bar the you must field 7 local players rule, I like I am on my last straw lol.

The difference between a covering and stopper defender was a lot. Stoppers give away too many penalties lol

And I stand by what I say, pace is still a thing, maybe not such a big deal when I used a correct formation but it is. I was able to hold Milan to a 1-0 aggregate. I still need to defend corners better but I wonder if there is anything I can do against a player like Mangala with 19 jumping reach haha

The key with corners this year really does seem to be having huge players to put back in the box. I don't concede shed loads, but it's still where I concede a lot of my goals. As you say when you have a beast of a player bombing at the ball it's difficult to compete

Thanks I need help on buying Fullbacks. Already sold my expensive center backs who were set to defend and got covering players.

I want to get a good right back. I have many youth players and overextended with a really large squad lol., Finally got rid of them

Pace seems to be very important for wingers, I tried getting creativity wingers but that didnt help, maybe good dribblers. I am not really a fan of pace. i will prefer to play a low tempo game.

So in summary I need fullbacks who can defend and are good in the air but dont know what attributes to search for. I wanted to get fullbacks with a lo of creativity but I am not so sure anymore

• 2 weeks later...

How set in stone is Libero as a specialist role? I am playing a save atm where i take the universalist approach and go with Very Fluid, however i have been wanting to experiment with Liberos for a while now. Do you reckon that you could use one well in a very fluid set-up?

How set in stone is Libero as a specialist role? I am playing a save atm where i take the universalist approach and go with Very Fluid, however i have been wanting to experiment with Liberos for a while now. Do you reckon that you could use one well in a very fluid set-up?

Anecdotally: I tried for ages to play a Libero, but found that even on Attack he mostly ended up being a third DC. Until, that was, I switched from Balanced to Fluid and suddenly he came alive, pushing up into the DM strata, dropping back when needed, and being more the creative player I wanted.

(He still averaged oddly low performance scores and was never the Sammer-type creator I'd hoped for, but he certainly improved with greater fluidity and no other change to the core tactic.)

(Edit: First post since the board reset? Crumbs.)

• 1 month later...

I have been reading the stickies for some time, they are really helpful, thank you guys. So I think it's time to make my own tactic.

I always fancy Ancelotti's and Ramsey 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond so I decided to make one.

Here's the picture http://imageshack.com/a/img633/8478/OvxuwB.png

GK

WB Support

CB Defend

CB BPD Defend

WB Attack

DM Defend

DLP Support

B2B Support

T Attack

CF Attack

DLF Support

Counter/Balance

TI's:

Short Passing

Work Ball Into Box

Play Out Of Defence

Push higher Up

Hassle Opponents

Be More Expressive

PI's:

GK Distribute to defenders

If I use 'AP Attack' I put 'Move Into Channel' and 'Roam From Position' for him.

As you can see it's a possession-based tactic though the mentality is counter. So my biggest concern is how the trio up front will work. Generally I want to overload the final third and my CF to be the spearhead. Thoughts? Any other suggestions regarding my tactic are greatly appreciated.:)

. . .

So that is almost exactly how I set my narrow diamond up. The attack though, I found to be a bit one dimensional, especially playing in the lower leagues where I lacked really good offensive fullbacks. What did that helped the attack (the only difference I have from your front three setup is an AF(A) rather than a CF(A)) was to tinker with my midfield. This especially against teams playing a DM. So what I now start with is a DM (S) as I like him to move up a bit to support the attack. He still stays back well enough to be defensively solid. I'll switch him to a D duty if he is getting exploited or when holding a late lead. I have a DLP(S) as you do, but depending on the player I will use a CM(s), and instead of a B2B, if I need a bit more option going forward, a CM(A). I found over a number of games using both a B2B and a CM(a) that the latter got forward better, and more often, probably because he wasn't chasing back from so deep. Now I don't suggest you necessarily change to this, but I would consider it if you find that teams that play a DM are stifling you up the middle.

In terms of TI, I actually don't use any to start except possibly the Work ball into box to stop stupid long shots. I don't use short passing because it narrows your shape a bit, and it is already narrow enough. If anything, I find that I need to use play wider to create space against tightly packed defenses. The others I guess are down to your player quality, though hassle can be bad with this shape are you already give up so much space on the wings, having your midfield pressing too hard can leave monster holes. Play out of Defence I think is handy with this formation, and I also use the same PI on the keeper as you do.

Overall, I like your setup a lot as it closely matches mine and everyone on here knows that I am tactical genius :lol: I hope you keep this updated from time to time to let us know how you get on and what sort of changes you find yourself making in matches or to address issues.

EDIT: Oh, and I use fluid rather than balanced, but overall a couple less specialists than you do. I did find, however, number of specialists aside, that this tactic played better for me when I switched to fluid. I got better movement and passing through the middle which is exactly what I wanted. You might consider that, as the specialists/fluidity is a good rule of thumb, but not ironclad.

@Dr. Hook

The tactic didn't do well against DM. I tried a couple of friendlies without changing anything for 90 minutes to see how the tactic works.

vs Sunderland 4-5-1 DM http://imageshack.com/a/img911/9673/t9EktY.jpg

First goal. My flanks are outnumbered and I don't like how my wingbacks' movement when we are counter attacked.

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/8426/zsyEDB.jpg

Van Rhijn ran back to the back marking the striker on the center instead of the winger, leaving a massive gap on the flank. They scored.

Second goal. Again. http://imageshack.com/a/img745/9573/p8g39O.jpg

The left wingback didn't close down so my DLP Fischer had to. Will mark the opponent's wingers do?

Other things I want to point out are;

-My Treq didn't get involved and was often isolated.

-The attack heavily relied on through ball and crossing from the wingbacks.

-My ass man kept shouting we're outnumbered in the middle.

On the positive note, my players didn't do many long shots. Yes I hate stupid long shots. :lol: I'm going to tweak around a bit and try to apply your suggestions doc.:D

I have managed two tactics that could not work through match, we loose ball easily, can't attack so much, over run in midfield easily and can't get a win over better teams(I'm Ac milan amanager):

1-

Wb(s) CD(d) cd(d) wb(a)

anchor(d)

dlp(s) ap(a)

IF(s/a) if(s/a)

cf(s)

instructions : pass into space - work ball into box - play out of defence - drill crosses - more disciplined - stay on feet - retain possession - push higher up - hassle oponent

tactics familarity :all fluid excepts width (competent)

mentality : standard/control

2-

Wb(s) CD(d) cd(d) wb(a)

dlp(s) bbm(s)

IF(a) ap(a) if(s)

cf(s)

instructions : pass into space - work ball into box - play out of defence - drill crosses - more expressive- stay on feet - more direct passing- push higher up - play wider - run at defence- hassle oponent - overlap

tactics familarity :all fluid excepts width (competent)

mentality : attacking/control

Actually I can just play as good as my opponent when my opponents are weaker than my team! Could please help me to figure out my problems

instructions : pass into space - work ball into box - play out of defence - drill crosses - more expressive- stay on feet - more direct passing- push higher up - play wider - run at defence- hassle oponent - overlap

That's 12 instructions. What's the overall aim behind them?

@Dr. Hook

The tactic didn't do well against DM. I tried a couple of friendlies without changing anything for 90 minutes to see how the tactic works.

vs Sunderland 4-5-1 DM http://imageshack.com/a/img911/9673/t9EktY.jpg

First goal. My flanks are outnumbered and I don't like how my wingbacks' movement when we are counter attacked.

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/8426/zsyEDB.jpg

Van Rhijn ran back to the back marking the striker on the center instead of the winger, leaving a massive gap on the flank. They scored.

Second goal. Again. http://imageshack.com/a/img745/9573/p8g39O.jpg

The left wingback didn't close down so my DLP Fischer had to. Will mark the opponent's wingers do?

Other things I want to point out are;

-My Treq didn't get involved and was often isolated.

-The attack heavily relied on through ball and crossing from the wingbacks.

-My ass man kept shouting we're outnumbered in the middle.

On the positive note, my players didn't do many long shots. Yes I hate stupid long shots. :lol: I'm going to tweak around a bit and try to apply your suggestions doc.:D

Sorry it didn't work with the Treq. I will be honest and say that when you come up against a DM with this tactic it is challenging, as I expect it should be. The Treq movement was not good for you? Sometimes it happens that way, and you have to diagnose what he isn't doing. You *should* see him coming pretty deep and pulling the DM at least some of the way with him. As long as he's moving and you have one of your CMs getting forward you can get some space from the area on in.

That second one is an ugh! I can't say that I've seen that- is that your BPD that is pushed up like that? Van Rijn is apparently getting back to help cover for the forward that is behind your defence. But, it could just be an error on his part that is modeled in the game and might not be a significant problem going forward. But there you have it again on goal two- with the wingback tucking way in on defence. In this case you have enough men back, so I have no idea what he's doing. I don't see this happening for me using the setup. You could man mark the wingers if you want him just to stick to the man, but then that is what he will do pretty much exclusively. You could also try them as FB's rather than wingbacks. They still get up and down the flanks as you want, but are better positioned to get back defensively. Or Try one of them on FB, maybe the support duty fella.

Ignore the assman. He's useless. The game counts wingers as midfielders, so he'll say that a lot and it's untrue :D. You do want the wingbacks involved so that is probably okay. I spotted something else in your setup that you might want to look at in terms of play through the middle. Your DM is on defend, the DLP will sit deep and often the B2B will be deeper having tracked back on defense. When you get possession, you have a possibility of having your Dm-CM-CM triangle sitting kind of deep, and your Treq is likely up high at the start of the transition. Your CMs may not have the option to go forward unless they get it out to the wingbacks. Have a look at your midfield positioning as you start a counterattack or recover the ball in your half.

1.) I understand that changing your fluidity/style alters the template patterns in which mentalities are assigned to players, whilst also raising creative freedom (the latter in a structured rising scale as you go more fluid). If you keep your fluidity/style the same but switch mentalities up or down, I understand this raises/lowers each player's individual mentality within the pattern or framework defined by you fluidity setting. Does switching your mentality also raise/lower your creative freedom, or can this only be achieved by changing your fluidity, or by using the 'be more expressive/disciplined' T.I.?

2.) From what I've read, I see that creative freedom is lower by default in more rigid styles. So the reason why employing more specialist roles in more rigid styles is that these roles will automatically have more creative freedom assigned to them, making up for the shortfall across the team in general and thus ensuring that more rigid sides don't suffer from a net lack of creative freedom compared to more fluid ones, it's just that it's distributed less evenly (much more going to the specialists than the rest).

However I'm sure I've seen it stated that if you do introduce a specialist into your side, the creative freedom of players in generic roles around them decreases. Is this true? And if it is, then does this mean that there is no net gain in creative freedom by introducing specialists into your side?

I'm looking to employ a balanced style of football. Having read both the fantastic 'beat the wizard' sticky, and fantastic sub thread here by Steve Odom, I've come to understand the how fluidity affects mentality templates. And I've realised that if duties are used well, you can produce a great end result.

However, there's no getting away from the fact that creative freedom is lower by default than fluid or very fluid. And I do like wwfan's theory of bridging that gap by employing specialists (2-3 as a rough guide for a balanced style). This is why I'm after clarification on point 2, as if there is no net gain in creative freedom by doing this (as generic role cf is lowered in turn), then what's the point?

Any guidance here greatly appreciated.

1 - your mentality does not alter your levels of creative freedom, only directly allowing a player more or less freedom as an instruction, and, via fluidity changes can alter this.

2 - not all specialist roles have more freedom, only playmaker roles. The reason creative freedom is lower is that each person needs to stick to direct instructions. This doesn't mean your team becomes boring, as your winger is still instructed to dribble at defenders, take them on, score goals etc. I cannot remember precisely, but I remember seeing CF drop before with the introduction of a specialist, but I cannot remember what fluidities it affects. But as long as you understand the general principles of adding in playmakers/target men in possession, and the gist of fluidity it will be enough to adequately select roles and duties.

Sorry if this has been asked before. In theory if i set my team instructions to more direct passing then set my entire 11 players to shorter passing in individual instructions, what supercedes what?

The player instructions I believe layer over the team instructions. Overall though it's a pointless exercise, you will nullify the effect of asking the team to play more direct.

Cheers llama3

No problemo!

Hello, I have a quick question.

If my team instructions are set to "Close Down More" should I then care about if the "Close Down More" in player instructions are enabled or not? I mean if it's enabled in TI should I also enable it in PI?

I'm asking because I have seen a tactic in here which are set to "Close Down More" in TI and as well for SOME players (PI).

Thanks!

If it is enable in your TI's, then it will already be affecting all players. However, you can give an individual PI on top of that to increase further the player's tendency to close down opponents. Obviously this makes the player more likely to vacate his position on the pitch.

The player instructions I believe layer over the team instructions. Overall though it's a pointless exercise, you will nullify the effect of asking the team to play more direct.

Cheers Llama. Obviously I would never do that but I just used that to highlight a point and understand how the engine works.

If it is enable in your TI's, then it will already be affecting all players. However, you can give an individual PI on top of that to increase further the player's tendency to close down opponents. Obviously this makes the player more likely to vacate his position on the pitch.

Hi, how certain are you on this? Can you show documentation or are you just guessing?

I mean, in real life programming, you can tell an element to appear with a red background-color in different ways. Telling it twice won't make it more red...

Archived