The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

Hoping for a decent update here over the next couple of days, but just two things for today.

Stadium_expansion_34.png

The first is a stadium expansion, which takes us to 46,186. It would also seem there's even more room to build into as well, so my hopes of having a 50,000+ stadium may yet become a reality.

CL_draw_v_bodo.png

And so this has happened, less than three years after me leaving them. It's going to be emotional - and a hammering for us - but mostly emotional.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed that Bodo have agreed to sell Walter Cruz, who I signed for free, to Man City for £25.5m.

Thought I'd check out their deals since I left, and they've made some obscene cash, carrying on my philosophy I suppose. Eliassen came through the youth team and left for £20m, while Luketic joined Man City for £44.5m! That's a profit of more than £35m.

They have spent £38m themselves, but still...

Spent the last couple of days pondering whether to confirm a £4.8m deal for a new left-winger. It's not a position I'm struggling in with Farouk and Suljic in the squad, but this would have allowed me to sell the 30-year-old Farouk and signing a younger upgrade. In the end, I decided against it. There's no doubt the player on offer was excellent, but we're not ready to spend nearly £5m on one player just yet.

I did however agree a deal for this lad, who'll join on a free in the summer.

Ismet_Bugra_Ozkan.png

LOGO%20CHAMPIONS%20LEAGUE.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Last 16

1st Leg: FC Nordsjælland 1-0 Bodø/Glimt

A decent showing in the first leg means we'll go to Norway with a lead. It was a game of few chances, but Stayko Krastev's rocket after 15 minutes was enough for victory.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 FC Nordsjælland

So disappointed, we played really well here, but in the end we fell to a narrow defeat against a much stronger side. We weren't done any favours when Dan Steen was stupidly sent off after 22 minutes, but goals in the last 20 minutes from Jonathan Brown and Klaus Eira send us out. Still, another decent campaign.

Great attributes for a 15 year old. And 17 natural fitness, so his development shouldn't be hampered by injuries. Better hang on to him... ;)

Yeah, he looks to be a little bit special. I've now got him and Eskilden who could be a key part of our side for years to come, as well as a highly rated young striker called Jens Brinck. His stats aren't great, but my assistant thinks he'll be great for us.

Jens_Brick.png

I've also lined up a couple of deals for youngsters from FC København. Stefan Skov has been confirmed for £550,000, and there's another midfielder I'm in for, but I suspect he'll go to Inter instead. I'll post an image if he signs.

Stefan_Skov.png

March

SL: Brøndby IF 1-3 FC Nordsjælland

A routine win as we get the spring round up and running, with Wictor Persson the hero. He bagged a double, while a Joakim Hansen header sealed things.

SL: OB 2-2 FC Nordsjælland

We twice had to come from behind here against a side who were fighting for their lives. Linus Moller and Casper Skov with the goals, and we very nearly won it in stoppage time too.

SL: Esbjerg 1-3 FC Nordsjælland

Esbjerg have been something of an achilles heel for us, so I was pleased to see we got the points. Thor Fremo has been magnificent all season and he bagged two more here, while Luis Miguel scored his first for the club with a 30 yard rocket.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 4-0 AGF

This game fell immediately after we were knocked out of Europe, so it was great to see there was no hint of a hangover. Casper Skov scored a hat-trick, while Fremo grabbed another late on. This was also the first game we'd played since our stadium was expanded, so we set a new attendance record of 44,194.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 FC Midtjylland

This was as routine as it gets. Persson and Krastev with a goal apiece in either half, and the title is getting ever closer.

SL: Viborg 0-4 FC Nordsjælland

A first half Thor Fremo hat-trick knocked the stuffing out of Viborg, and while the second half was much slower, Persson did bag another late on to apply a little gloss to the finish.

SL: Vejle-Kolding Boldklub 2-4 FC Nordsjælland

The score doesn't really reflect the game here as we were largely second best, but we took the chances which came our way. Fremo and Skov grabbed a double apiece.

March_34.png

Laursen's exciting. Decent effort against Bodo.

We didn't disgrace ourselves, definitely. Really disappointed with the red card though, as with 11 men I have a feeling we could have squeezed through.

Pleased with Laursen, I now have a group of four or five youngsters who I feel have a chance of breaking into the first team squad in the next two years. I'm trying to increase the number of Danes too, so this can only help.

April

Landspokalturneringen Quarter Final: Randers 1-3 FC Nordsjælland

A solid display in a banana skin tie. Randers are flying in the second tier, but we got the job done on the day. Krastev, Persson and an OG see us into the semis, where we'll meet bitter rivals Lyngby.

Landspokalturneringen Semi Final 1st Leg: Lyngby 0-2 FC Nordsjælland

Really happy with this performance, and it puts us within touching distance of another cup final. Robert Jorgensen and a bullet Thor Fremo header were the difference.

SL: SønderjyskE 1-2 FC Nordsjælland

Our hosts were fighting for their lives so this was a tight affair, but we got the victory we deserved. Strikers Persson and Krastev got the goals.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 5-2 Vejle-Kolding Boldklub

I tweaked my tactic slightly so we'd be more adventurous, and we got the goals we deserved. We led 5-0 at half time, with goals from Skov (2) Chemmam, Killerich and Fremo.

Landspokalturneringen Semi Final 2nd Leg: FC Nordsjælland 3-1 Lyngby

Again we were far superior, with Fremo (2) and Psomadis taking us into our seventh Danish Cup final.

SL: FC København 2-1 FC Nordsjælland

We had a nightmare first 15 minutes in the capital, and were punished as a result. Wictor Persson got us back into it with 20 minutes left to play, but we couldn't find a leveller. Still, a first league defeat since November isn't something I'll be worrying about.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 4-0 AC Horsens

An excellent response to our defeat last time, and from the moment Killerich opened the scoring after 5 minutes, there was only one winner. Vidal, Moller and Fremo got the others, and we could have had even more.

April_34.png

Two more exciting deals lined up for the summer. First in is left winger Simon Babangida for a record £4.8m.

Babangida.png

He was plying his trade in Saudi Arabia, and looks to be a wonderful addition. It means I'll be moving Ahmed Farouk on this summer, who is now 31.

Also arriving is young midfielder Flemming Simonsen.

Flemming_Simonsen.png

It's a gamble spending £700,000 on a 16 year old, but there's not a great number of talented Danish players out there so I'll take the risk.

Not got time to write a proper update tonight, but just wanted to let you all know Bodø/Glimt won their 10th Champions League, levelling them up with Real Madrid on the all-time list. So much for my theory they were on the decline...

It's a credit to what you build there.

I guess so. Ten of their starting XI were players I had signed or nurtured through the youth ranks, so the new manager hasn't put his own stamp on the team yet. A little surprised they won it considering who they sold though.

May

SL: AaB 0-1 FC Nordsjælland

A really tough encounter, but a great day for 17 year old striker Jens Brinck, who bagged his first senior goal for the team.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 3-1 OB

Another solid display from the lads, and once again OB were swept aside. Jonathan Killerich scored a goal of the season contender from 30 yards, before two Krastev headers sent the home fans away happy.

The Landspokalturneringen Final: AC Horsens 0-4 FC Nordsjælland

My second Danish Cup final, and pretty much the perfect day out for our fans. Casper Skov’s rocket put us on our way inside 10 minutes, before the game turned into the Stayko Krastev show. The Bulgarian grabbed a brilliant hat-trick, taking him to 30 goals for the season, and securing our 2nd double in a row.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 3-0 Brøndby IF

We haven’t been caused too many problems against the side Andersen supported as a boy, and nothing changed here wither. Thor Fremo scored a towering header after 15 minutes, his 27th league goal of the season, and 34th in total settled any nerves in a capacity crowd. Vidal and Persson found the target in the second half, and the title party started soon after.

Final_table_34.png

529px-FC_Nordsjaelland.svg.png

FC Nordsjælland - season summary 2033/34

League (Superliga)

Media prediction: 2nd (of 12)

Finished: 1st (Champions)

Cups

Champions League: 1st knock-out round (last 16)

Landspokalturneringen (Danish Cup): Winners

Top scorers

Thor Fremo: 37 appearances (24 starts): 34 goals (27 in the league – new record)

Stayko Krastev: 32 appearances (28 starts): 30 goals (13 in the league)

Casper Skov: 35 appearances (31 starts): 23 goals (15 in the league)

Wictor Persson: 30 appearances (20 starts): 15 goals (13 in the league)

Positives

A really positive season, all in all. Delighted to win the league again, and a much bigger gap than last year too. Almost all of my signings have been successful, and the squad looks to have a good nucleus. I was really happy to get through the Champions League group stages too, so the club has plenty of money sloshing about the place. I’ve agreed a deal to break my transfer record again, up to £4.8m now, and the good news is that I don’t really even have to sell to cover that, although I’m not generally the type of manager who keeps players I don’t need, so I would expect to see a little movement this summer on that front.

Negatives

I’m a little disappointed with the standard of youngsters that are coming through, and my refusal to play inferior young players could cost me at some point. The board have insisted we develop our own players, so they inserted a clause into my last contract, but as long as we keep winning I’m sure it’ll be OK.

Ambitions

I’m not planning on leaving, so next year I’d like to continue our domestic domination, although I’d like to go a little deeper in Europe. Primarily my target is to qualify for the group stages of the CL again, and aim for the quarter finals if we go through. I’ll reassess that if we happen to drop into the Europa League, however.

Surprise of the season

Extending our gap over the rest of the country at the top of the league, or the form of Thor Fremo. He was so good this year he reminded me of Dag Even Sandsund in his prime.

Player of the Year

Stayko Krastev

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 33,996 v Viborg

Highest attendance: 46,186 (sell-out) v Brøndby IF on the final day

Average attendance: 37,970 (38,141 in the league)

Finances

£25,903,498

Despite the fact I've made a couple of incredible signings during this transfer window, I may be about to have an enforced change of direction...

Ultimatum.png

I'm a little surprised, I'd have thought three good years at the club would have given me the wiggle room for one stray job application, but apparently not. I'll have a sleep on whether I decide to resign on principle, or whether I issue a grovelling apology and hope they don't sack me.

I'll have a sleep on whether I decide to resign on principle, or whether I issue a grovelling apology and hope they don't sack me.

I'd say that depends entirely on which job you applied for.

Awaiting the utcome with unbearable tension!

I won't give anything away, but there were two applications to clubs in more prestigious leagues. One is a big club in one of the "elite" leagues (but not one of the big 3 in their home land) the other is one of the big three in their respective country, in a stronger (but not quite elite) league.

As I said in my end of season summary, I had no plans on leaving, but these are both great jobs. The board's reaction has left a sour taste in the mouth too.

Is one of them Liverpool mate? :D

Agree with dllu, very tense. Looking forward to the outcome. :)

OK, I'll give something away - I don't have the English leagues loaded so it isn't Liverpool. If I did go to England I'd probably go to a Championship club (or even a big League One side) though, but that is perhaps for another career.

I hope to get an update in over the next couple of hours, but I'm on dad duty, so that depends on my daughter and whether she has a nap...

Decision made - I decided to apologise, and the board accepted it. The clubs involved were Feyenoord and Roma, and while I was interested in both, I feel we can push on this season and perhaps go a little deeper into the Champions League, or the Europa League. While both Feyenoord and Roma had bigger budgets on offer, I'm not convinced that either squad was any stronger than ours, and both lacked any real balance, meaning that a big rebuilding job was inevitable.

I'm not going to forget the board's reaction though, so I have decided that I'm going to load the more glamorous European leagues, with an eye on moving on in the next couple of years.

529px-FC_Nordsjaelland.svg.png

FC Nordsjælland - season preview 2034/35

Media expectation: 2nd

Board expectation: Win the title, make the Champions League Play Off Round, and win the Danish Cup

Transfer budget (remaining): £1,750,000

Wage budget: £480,000p/w (£115,000p/w under budget)

So it's been a rather difficult summer, and my relationship with the board has become fractious. I am disappointed they reacted in the manner they did, especially as the club has come on in leaps and bounds during my three years there. No matter, I'm sure we'll be fine providing we get on with winning matches. I'm quite comfortable with all of the board's requirements, although the cup is of course at the bottom of my list of priorities.

Transfers_summer_34.png

This is missing a few players who left the club in May, but gives you an idea

It has been a fairly busy summer on the recruitment side, but I'm convinced that we're now a better side as a result. As I write this, I still have six weeks left of the transfer window, so there may yet be further changes still. That said, if we finish with all the players I have now, I'm not going to complain. I've already shown you all bar one of my arrivals, so here he is:

Kota%20Komatsu.png

£1.7m is a steal, frankly.

I have a couple of offers in place for players to join us at a later date, one is a 22 year old Argentine striker who has scored 100 goals in three seasons for Lanus in his homeland, while the other is a Bulgarian international central defender. I'm not hopeful of signing either, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

We've also had a busy summer of players leaving the club, with Robertinho, Niels Sorensen and Maki Langa all joining Al-Sadd of Qatar for £3.8m, £2m and £2.5m respectively. Ahmed Farouk signed for Al-Hilal of Saudi Arabia for £1m, while young striker Antonio Ortega returned to Spain, he joined Hercules for £450,000. I've also allowed three or four youngsters to go out on loan.

Right then, on with the season. Our very first game is against bitter rivals Lyngby...

Going to either of those clubs would slightly go against the theme.

It would, but I'm relaxed about the theme now. I'm just playing this career because I'm enjoying it - I achieved my original aim in Norway, after all.

No. Juve, Milan and Inter are all bigger clubs. Roma have only ever won three league titles, so in comparison they're miles off the big three.

Well, obviously I don't know how well they've done in the last 20 years in your save, but IRL I would include them in the Big Four in Italy.

No matter... :)

Well, obviously I don't know how well they've done in the last 20 years in your save, but IRL I would include them in the Big Four in Italy.

No matter... :)

I meant in real life, not in game. After all, even Bologna have won more league titles...

And Roma has 13 second places, including 6 in the last decade - but if you only count titles...

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking your thread... ;)

Well considering my thread is named after Bill Shankly, you kind of asked for this

"First is first, second is nowhere"

:)

July

SL: FC Nordsjælland 5-0 Lyngby

The perfect start to the season in the derby, and we were just far too good on the day for our newly-promoted rivals. Stayko Krastev picked up from where he left off last season with a double, and Vidal grabbed two as well. Captain Casper Skov scored the other with a thumping header.

SL: Randers 0-2 FC Nordsjælland

This wasn't the strongest of performances, but I'm happy with the win. Luis Miguel put us in front just before half time, and Linus Moller's second-half header from a corner sealed it.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 3-1 FC København

Just the third game of the season, but this was a chance to lay down a marker for the rest of the season. We were much the better side, and Casper Skov scored a cracker after 12 minutes to put us on our way, Luis Miguel scored a 30 yard rocket 10 minutes later, and despite conceding on the hour, Kota Kamatsu went on a mazy run and fired home to secire the points soon after.

July_34.png

(Just wanted to say thanks to everybody who voted for my thread in tonight's awards, it means a lot.)

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UEFA Champions League- 3rd qualifying round

1st Leg: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 Helsingborg

We were very ordinary in the first half here, but two thumping Stayko Krastev headers in the second half were enough to seal a solid first leg win.

2nd Leg: Helsingborg 0-2 FC Nordsjælland

This was a much more confident display, and the Swedes just couldn't cope with us. We should have gone in front long before Julian Vidal's header after half an hour, and Kota Komatsu's second half rocket was the least that we deserved.

We'll play FC Inter of Finland in the play off.

August

SL: Brøndby IF 0-2 FC Nordsjælland

My second XI took to the field for this game as it was played between the two Helsingborg matches, but we were far too strong for our opponents. Miran Suljic scored a brilliant double, the second a sumptuous chip from the edge of the area.

SL: AC Horsens 1-5 FC Nordsjælland

We celebrated the news that we'd be playing some kind of European football this year thanks to our place in the CL play off in fine style. Casper Skov had us in front inside five minutes, before Stayko Krastev took over. The Bulgarian bagged four goals before half time, and although it was a tame second period, it was an exceptional win for us.

SL: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 AaB

We're looking good right now, and although we were a long way from our best, we got the points regardless. Goals in either half from youngsters Anders Lundgaard (just a second goal for the club, and his first at home) and a Athonasioas Psomadis header kept up our fine start to the season.

SL: OB 2-0 FC Nordsjælland

OB caught us on a really bad day, and to make matters worse, both goals were scored from set-pieces by our former striker Jens Martin Blomberg. Disappointing.

August_34.png

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UEFA Champions League- Play Off

1st Leg: FC Nordsjælland 2-0 FC Inter Turku

We weren't at our best here, but never looked like conceding a crucial away goal, and could maybe have had a couple more if Babangida had his shooting boots on. Vidal put us in front, powering home a header from a corner, and Stayko Krastev rammed home his 9th of the season just on the hour mark. A solid win if unspectacular performance.

2nd Leg: FC Inter Turku 1-3 FC Nordsjælland

This was a much better display, although we did have to fall behind before we found our stride. Thor Fremo levelled after 25 minutes, his first of the season, and Casper Skov's header just before half time had us in front. Vidal powered home another set piece in the second half, this time from a free kick, and we were in the hat for the Champions League group stage once again.

Let's hope for a decent draw this year.

Could have been worse, I guess. If you had to get two teams from the Big Four leagues, Palermo isn't the worst you could do - although if they can finish top 3 or 4 in Serie A...

Still, you should have a chance at least of beating both them and CSKA if everything comes together! :thup:

Archived