Can't anybody here play this game?

Jason the Yank

Can't Anybody Here Play This Game? is a book written by Jimmy Breslin chronicling the 1962 New York Mets season. The book chronicled the first season for the New York Mets, an expansion team. The title of the book supposedly came from a remark made by Mets manager Casey Stengel expressing his frustration over the team's spectacular ineptitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can't_Anybody_Here_Play_This_Game%3F

With that as the background, hopefully what follows is not a career filled with "spectacular ineptitude."

The deets:

Version FM 13.3

Database: Large, unedited

The Nations (all divisions playable)

Home base: USA, Mexico

The aristocracy:England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain

The nouveau riche:Brazil, China, Russia

The noisy neighbors:Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Holland, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay

The latecomers (adding these now that I'm a couple of years into the save): Australia, Ukraine

Nationality: American

I holidayed into April to clear out the "usual suspects" of FMCU's starting clubs before landing at Changwon City, a semi-pro club in South Korea's N-League. They were 13th when I took over, right where they were predicted. Because of a near total absence of players who could play out wide, I opted for a skinny diamond formation. We went 7-3-3, briefly poking our head into the playoff places before fading at the end to finish 9th.

2013 saw little change at Changwon, and we were picked to finish 11th. But we played reasonably well, finishing in 4th, whilst reaching the semifinal of the N-League Cup. We made it through the first round of the playoffs with a 1-0 extra time win over Ansan Hallelujah, before a poor 0-3 defeat to Ulsan HMD in the second round.

Changwon was steadily losing money, and the board wanted me to sell players to raise funds (except none of our players were likely to fetch much cash, if any). So I declined the offer of a new contract and resigned after the playoff defeat.

About a month later, I landed the job at Gangwon FC, who'd sacked their manager following a defeat in the relegation playoff.

That's where we pick up the story....

Career summary

[spoiler]
League
Season    Club        Nation    League        GP    W    D    L    PTS    FINISH
2012    Changwon City    ROK    N-League    13    7    3    3    24    9th (13th when hired)
2013    Changwon City    ROK    N-League    26    11    4    11    37    4th (Playoff 2nd Round)
2014    Gangwon FC    ROK    N-League
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Cups
Season    Club        Nation    Cup        FINISH
2013    Changwon City    ROK    FA Cup        Third round (Ulsan 5-1 Changwon)
2013    Changwon City    ROK    N-League Cup    Semifinal (Gwangju 1-0 Changwon)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Career Totals
Club        Nation    GP    W    D    L    Win%
Changwon City    ROK    47    21    9    17    44
[/spoiler]

Around the world...

Argentina

2012-13 1. River Plate/Boca Juniors ... Relegated: All Boys, Quilmes, Union

Brazil

2012 1. Cruzerio, 2. Fluminense, 3. Atletico Mineiro ... Relegated: Cortiba, Atletico Goianiense, Portuguesa, Figureirense

2013 1. Santos, 2. Sao Paulo, 3. Vasco ... Relegated: Parana, Nautico, Ponte Preta, Avai

England

2012-13 1. Man City, 2. Man Utd, 3. Chelsea ... Relegated: Reading, Wigan, Norwich

France

2012-13 1. PSG, 2. Lyon, 3. Nancy ... Relegated: ESTAC Troyes, Rennes, Stade de Reims

Germany

2012-13 1. Bayern, 2. Dortmund, 3. Eintracht .... Relegated: Nurnberg, Augsburg, Mainz

Holland

2012-13 1. Twente, 2. Utrecht, 3. Ajax ... Relegated: RKC, Willem II

Italy

2012-13 1. Juventus, 2. Fiorentina, 3. AC Milan ... Relegated: Torino, Pescara, Udinese

Mexico

2012-13 Open: America/America, Close: Cruz Azul/America ... Relegated: Atlas

Portugal

2012-13 1. Benfica, 2. Porto, 3. Sporting ... Relegated: Gil Vicente, Moreirense

Russia

2012-13 1. Spartak Moscow, 2. Rubin Kazan, 3. CSKA Moscow ... Relegated: Volga NN, Terek Grozny

Scotland

2012-13 1. Celtic, 2. Dundee United, 3. Hearts ... Relegated: St. Johnstone

Spain

2012-13 1. Barcelona, 2. Real Madrid, 3. Valencia ... Relegated: Deportivo, Osasuna, Zaragoza

USA

2012 League: Seattle ... Playoffs: Philadelphia

2013 League: Los Angeles ... Playoffs: New England

Club World Cup

2012 Winner: Chelsea ... Runner-up: Corinthians

African Champions League

2012 Winner: Zamalek (EGY) ... Runner-up: TP Mazembe (COD)

2013 Winner: Ismaily (EGY) ... Runner-up: Al-Ahly (EGY)

Asian Champions League

2012 Winner: Guangzhou (CHN) ... Runner-up: Al-Ittihad (KSA)

2013 Winner: Funabashi Bandits (JPN) ... Runner-up: Guangzhou (CHN)

UEFA Champions League

2012-13 Winner: Barcelona ... Runner-up: Man Utd (ENG)

CONCACAF Champions League

2012-13 Winner: Los Angeles (USA) ... Runner-up: Chivas (MEX)

Oceania Champions League

2012-13 Winner: Auckland City (NZL) ... Runner-up: Waitakere Utd (NZL)

Copa Libertadores

2013 Winner: Cruzeiro (BRA) ... Runner-up: Fluminense (BRA)

My first pre-season with Gangwon wasn't ideal, as it was more about cutting the wage bill or scrambling to fill our right flank. The biggest move was to sell striker Kim Young-Hoo to Al-Arabi (QAT) for $775,000 up front and $90,000 after 10 league goals. I wasn't looking to sell him, but with us being more than $2M in the red, I didn't feel I could reject it.

Other than that, there's no pressure at all, unless you count the board wanting us to challenge for the N-League title, and the bookies setting us as joint favorites to go up (the media predict us to come in 3rd).

Relegation definitely hit the club hard as we sold only 2,943 season tickets, a sharp decline from last season's 3,590.

Saturday, 8 March, 2014

Sangju 0-0 Gangwon (N-League)

Under pressure the whole game, with Sangju firing 15 shots to our 2. Fortunately, our goalkeeper needed to make only 4 saves. Still, this is one of our tougher games in the league out of the way early.

Saturday, 15 March, 2014

Gangwon 2-0 Incheon Korail (N-League)

Eun-Joong 20

Scardina 27

Spurned a couple of golden opportunities early (one in which in the opposing goalkeeper had to drop the ball as his momentum was carrying him outside the penalty area; Eun-Joong proceeded to shoot wide of the empty net) but went on to establish control of the match. We were good for 60% possession and held Korail to 5 shots, all off target.

Friday, 21 March, 2014

Gimhae 0-4 Gangwon (N-League)

Eun-Joong 20

Jeong-Joo 21

Scardina 50, 53

Believe it or not, we were set up to counter the entire match. That's how ruthless we were. Almost as pleasing to me, we didn't pick up a yellow, after getting 3 in each of the first two matches.

Saturday, 29 March, 2014

Gangwon 1-2 Daejeon KHNP

Jeong-Joo 7

Bottled it against one of our fellow relegated sides. Took the lead early, but 6 minutes later saw our defence breached for the first time in 283 minutes. That seemed to rattle our players, as they began to play anxiously, having trouble just making a pass. The winner came on 70 minutes when my goalkeeper made a save that rebounded to a Daejeon player staring a wide open net.

[b]N-League (Through 4 of 26 rounds)
1. Daegu		12
2. Sangju		10
3. GANGWON		7 (+5)
4. Suwon City		7 (+2)
5. Changwon		7 (+1)
6. Yongin City		7 (+1)
-------------------------
7. Incheon Korail	6 (+1)
8. Daejeon KHNP		6 (+1)
9. Mokpo		6 (-1)
10.Busan TC		5
11.Cheonan City		4
12.Gangneung City	3
13.Ansan H FC		0 (-12)
14.Gimhae		0 (-12)

[i]Sangju are ineligible for promotion[/i]

Manager's thoughts

I really can't complain too much. We're running with a skeletal playing staff at the moment with the hopes of filling in cover later (although the transfer deadline has passed, so any new players will have to wait until the window opens again in July).

The downside is our DC/DM Bae Hyo-Sung just suffered a broken leg in training. He was to sit in front of the defense but started the season on the backline due to an injury. Now, he'll do neither. Not for another 7 to 8 months anyway (which means he's essentially done for the season)

I'm glad you've done this as a thread tbh, been reading your progress in the mini update thread but couldn't help but think it would be better done as a big thread rather than be tucked away in there.

Did it there until I felt I'd reached a point I was going to stick with it. Had a couple of false starts with other saves.

Saturday, 5 April, 2014

Cheonan City 0-3 Gangwon (N-League)

Scardina 4

Eun-Joong 26, 34

Both teams took a lot of shots, but we were much efficient with ours.

Friday, 11 April, 2014

Gangwon 4-1 Changwon (N-League)

Eun-Joong 8

Jeong-Joo 50, 61

Scardina 81

Buried my former charges. Made a minor tactical tweak at halftime to put pressure on their 3-man backline that paid off with Jeong-Joo's brace from the AMC spot.

Saturday, 19 April, 2014

Gangneung City 0-4 Gangwon (N-League)

Eun-Joong 24

Scardina 29, 67

Joon-Yeop 44

Thrashed our derby rivals. They didn't roll over for us, but our goalkeeper made some timely saves to preserve the clean sheet.

Wednesday, 23 April, 2014

Gangwon 3-2 Suwon City (N-League)

Scardina 50

Jeong-Joo 61

Joon-Yeop 89

Made it much harder on ourselves than we needed to. Fell behind early in the match thanks to some careless defending. The hairdryer treatment at halftime spurred on a couple of players, though my left flank continued to look "uninterested" or "complacent". Finally grabbed the winner when the right wing delivers a beautiful volley at full speed just inside the far post. Suwon City thought they had an equalizer in the 4th minute of stoppage time, but it was ruled out for offside.

Saturday, 26 April, 2014

Busan TC 4-2 Gangwon (N-League)

Scardina 41

Joon-Yeop 85

Spured a host of early chances until Scardina connected with a diving header past an onrushing goalkeeper. Then our right back got himself two yellows early in the second half and we fell apart (not helped by our short bench meaning I had to stick a right midfielder back there). Especially disappointed with the left back "looking uninterested" as Busan were racking up goals. Managed to pull back a late consolation, but that's all it was.

[b]N-League (through 9 of 26 rounds)[/b]
1. Daegu		27
2. Sangju		23
3. GANGWON		19
4. Daejeon KHNP		15
5. Incheon Korail	14
6. Yongin City		13 (-1)
--------------------------
7. Mokpo		13 (-2)
8. Busan TC		12
9. Suwon City		10 (-3)
10. Changwon		10 (-7)
11. Gangneung City	9
12. Cheonan City	7
13. Ansan H FC		6
14. Gimhae		1

Manager's thoughts: Was a brilliant month up until the end. Unfortunately Daegu are pulling off into the distance with maximum points from their first nine fixtures, making our board's demand of a title challenge look unlikely. Did I mention we play Daegu next? Without our starting DR and MR due to a red card and yellow card accumulation, respectively. If we lose that, we'll be 11 points adrift of Daegu with 16 matches left, making the title chase all but a coronation.

Well that didn't last long.

On May 2, the board informed me they were cutting the wage budget from $36.35K/week to $24.61K. I decided that was ********, so I walked. (tbf, the club lost over $200,000 in April alone)

A month later, my job application was met with favor by Jupiler League side De Graafschap. 2 years on $2.2K/week.

They just finished the season in 9th (media prediction had been 2nd), so these budgets may change:

Transfer Budget: $105,000

Wage Budget: $95,000/week

Current wages: $88.46K/week

They're one year into a deal to be a feeder club for Saint Etienne (players can be loaned to us, ASSE have right of first refusal, all for an annual fee of $82.41K).

Welcome back Jason. Why can't Sangju win promotion?

I believe it's because players don't actually sign contracts with them, but play for them when they're on their national service: http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2959358. My starting GK suddenly showed up on loan with them my last season at Changwon, I wasn't given the opportunity to confirm or reject.

There's another club (Police) in the non-playable leagues that's set up in a similar fashion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Police_FC

2014 World Cup - Brazil

Group A			Group B			Group C			Group D
Cameroon 5		Mexico 6		Portugal 9		England 5
Croatia	5		Brazil 6		Slovakia 6		Japan 4 (+1)
----------		--------		----------		------------
Australia 4		Ukraine 3		Costa Rica 3		Nigeria 4 (0)
Romania 1		Senegal 3		Colombia 0		Uruguay 3

Group E			Group F			Group G			Group H
Italy 6			Germany 7		Spain 9			France 9
USA 6			Norway 7		Honduras 4 (-3)		Russia 6
-------			---------		----------		--------
Chile 4			Ecuador 3		Ghana 4 (-5)		Argentina 3
Ivory Coast 1		South Korea 0		Iceland 0		Iran 0

[b]Second Round[/b]
Cameroon 1-0 Brazil
Croatia p1-1 Mexico
Japan 1-2e Portugal
England 2-1 Slovakia
Norway 0-2 Italy
USA 2-2p Germany
Russia 0-3 Spain
Honduras 1-3 France

[b]Quarterfinal[/b]
Cameroon p2-2 England
Croatia 1-0 Portugal
Italy e2-1 France
Germany 1-1p Spain

[b]Semifinal[/b]
Cameroon 0-1 Spain
Croatia 1-2 Italy

[b]Third Place Playoff[/b]
Croatia 2-1 Cameroon

[b]Final[/b]
Spain 2-0 Italy

Struggling in pre-season with a bunch of big-time Charlies "finding it difficult to motivate themselves to play for you." How about playing for your paycheques then?

On the bright side, the revenue from Jupiler League TV rights has cleared our overdraft. :thup:

• 3 weeks later...

Been sucked in to Crusader Kings 2, but finally made some time for FM. :D

July 7, 2014: Given $3.51M in Jupiler League TV rights

Board expects to reach the playoff

Tranfer budget: $103K

Wage budget: $94.48K p/w

Current wages: $71,717 p/w

Sold M/AM C Niels Vorthoren for $60,000

Sold MC Caner Cavlan to Rijnsburgse Boys for $18,000

Sold DM/MC Shkodran Metaj for $50,000 +$250,000 to Elche. Was transfer listed by request, wanted to move to bigger club.

Received $203,000 in solidarity payment from Ties Evers' transfer from Vitesse to AA Gent

Get a new general sponsorship with a local company for $65K p.a. for 3 years.

All of that means we've gone from in the red when I arrived to about $850,000 in the black.

Friday, 8 August, 2014

FC Oss 1-4 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 2,630

A real surprise after a lackluster pre-season. Had trouble holding onto the ball (just 41% of the possession), but still managed to take 15 shots and put 8 of them on frame, compared to just 15-3 from Oss. We were 0-4 up at halftime, and Oss' goal came as a result of a fortunate deflection that wrong-footed our keeper following a corner.

11 August, 2014: Reported season ticket sales of 9,053, down from last season's 9,219

Friday, 15 August, 2014

De Graafschap 1-3 Volendam (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 12,037

Exact opposite of the Oss match. A lethargic performance was punished by Volendam's 3-4-3 set up. Looked much more dangerous in the second half when we switched from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3, but could only get the one goal.

Friday, 22 August, 2014

De Graafschap 0-1 Excelsior (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 12,010

Spurned a number of opportunities and it came back to bite us late.

Monday, 25 August, 2014

De Graafschap 1-0 FC Den Bosch (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 12,107

A lot of dross in this match as the teams combined for 16 shots, but put only one of them on target. But it was a quality strike as our left wing hit a long ball a bit too far in front of our right wing. He managed to catch up to it though and before momentum carried he and the ball over the goal line, he managed to flick a shot from an extreme angle that somehow found the far post. A massive three points for us.

Friday, 29 August, 2014

SC Cambuur 2-2 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 5,909

Had to fight from behind twice in the first half, then survive a nervy final 15 or 20 minutes in the match. Lost a forward to injury for the second consecutive match, but this one really hurt as he had both our goals.

[b]2014-15 Jupiler League (through 5 of 34 rounds)[/b]
1. Volendam	13
------------------
2. RKC		11
3. SC Cambuur	10 (+6)
4. MVV		10 (+1)
5. FC Emmen	9
------------------
6. FC Eindhoven	8 (+3)
7. Excelsior	8 (0)
8. DE GRAAF.	7 (+1)
9. FC Dordrecht	7 (+1)
10.AGOVV	7 (-1)
11. Almere City	6 
12. Den Bosch	5 (-2)
13. Telstar	5 (-2)
14. FC Oss	4 (-4)
15. Spakenburg	4 (-8)
16. SC Veendam	3 (-4)
17. Sparta	3 (-4)
------------------
18. Helmond Sp.	3 (-5)

Manager's thoughts

A much of muchness. Players are still getting accustomed to the formations, and many of them "are finding it difficult to motivate themselves to play for a manager of your stature." All I can really do is keep on keeping on.

Friday, 5 September, 2014

Almere City 1-0 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 1,775

Gave up too many opportunities, but my keeper really should have got to the one they did score. Looked like he dove right over it.

Friday, 12 September, 2014

De Graafschap 0-1 SC Veendam (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 11,464

Another lethargic performance, with Veendam's goal coming from a free kick about 30 yards out that found the underside of the bar.

Friday, 19 September, 2014

MVV 2-1 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 5,152

Another poor performance as we were chasing shadows all day. Made a nice move for our goal, but it was just a consolation.

Thursday, 25 September, 2014

SC Cambuur 1-2 De Graffschap, AET (KNVB Cup, Second Round)

Attendance: 4,993

The match that kickstarts our season? We held a successful team meeting earlier in the week, but it didn't look like it would pay off after our goalkeeper turned a shot onto our captain, which bounced in for an own goal in the first minute of play. Looked like we were going out until the 87th minute when our left wing was sprung by an excellent through ball from the lone striker who'd come in off the bench. So that forced extra time, and then in the 96th minute, we got a second bite of the cherry from a corner, with our striker managing to create a bit of space in the box and lash home the match winner.

Sunday, 28 September, 2014

De Graafschap 0-2 AGOVV (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 9,587

No. No it is not. We make a hash of clearing the ball from our penalty area and are punished for it. The coup de grace comes in the second half when our defense gets torn open as we're hunting for an equalizer. Injuries mean AGOVV finish with EIGHT men. And we still can't do anything against them. We can't hold onto the ball, we can't get shots on target, and the players who can do that are Big Time Charlies who go through games "looking uninterested."

[b]2014-15 Jupiler League (through 9 of 34 rounds)[/b]
1. Volendam	17 (+8)
2. Excelsior	17 (+2)
3. MVV		17 (+1)
4. SC Cambuur	15 (+7)
5. FC Eindhoven	15 (+4)
6. RKC		15 (+4)
7. AGOVV	14
8. Telstar	13
9. FC Den Bosch	12 (0)
10.FC Emmen 	12 (0)
11.Almere City	12 (-1)
12.FC Oss	12 (-2)
13.FC Dordrecht	11
14.SC Veendam	10
15.Spakenburg	9
16.Helmond Spo.	8
17.DE GRAAFS.	7
18.Sparta	5

Friday, 3 October, 2014

Sparta 2-1 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 7,241

An unexpected relegation 6-pointer for us, with the jackals in the press already starting to speculate about my future. I decided to bench some of the Billy Big Times and start a couple of young players with bright futures. And it actually seemed to go well, as we moved the ball around crisply. We took the lead just before halftime. And then the roof caved in again. A poorly headed backpass from our left back was intercepted and buried into an open net. Then a goal kick goes straight to an opposing forward, who breaks free for an easy one-on-one with the keeper. And we're now in the cellar.

Friday, 10 October, 2014

De Graafschap 2-0 FC Dordrecht (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 10,025

The last chance saloon, as we go into the match with my job listed as "precarious".

Finally the bounces start going our way. We spurn a couple of good chances. The Dordrecht keeper makes a fantastic save of what was almost certainly a goal and I'm thinking "Here we go again." But then we win a penalty to take the lead into halftime. Plenty of heart-in-mouth moments follow in the second half, but this time we're able to win the scrambles in our goal mouth. Could have made it much easier on ourselves, but again spur lovely opportunities before our substitute striker (brought on after the left wing was "looking complacent", this a couple of days after he complains to me about the club underachieving. Uh, maybe you might want to help turn things around instead of swanning about?), um, anyway the substitute striker gets onto a through ball and volleys home the insurance goal in stoppage time. And we're off the bottom! And I still have my job!

Friday, 17 October, 2014

Telstar 2-2 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 2,428

We were up 2-0 inside of half an hour thanks to some really nice linkup play. And then the defending got sloppy and gave up the lead. Usually you're happy to get a point away from home, but we really could and should have got all three.

Friday, 24 October, 2014

De Graafschap 2-1 FC Eindhoven (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 9,526

A tough match against a team in the playoff spots. Some lovely combination play gave us the lead after just 75 seconds. Eindhoven equalised from a corner in the 35th minute, but our young right wing managed to wriggle free in the box and score his first goal for the club to win the match.

Wednesday, 29 October, 2014

FC Utrecht 3-0 De Graafschap (KNVB Cup, Third Round)

Attendance: 16,622

A tough draw against an Eredivisie side, albeit one struggling at the wrong end of the table. Match was closer than the score suggests; Utrecht took the lead in the 40th minute when a deflection bounced off our goalkeeper and into the net. Utrecht put it out of reach with goals in the 79th and 91st minutes when we were chasing the game.

[b]2014-15 Jupiler League (through 13 of 34 rounds)[/b]
1. Excelsior	29
2. MVV		24
3. SC Cambuur	23
4. FC Emmen	21
5. Volendam	20 (+9)
6. AGOVV	20 (+1)
7. FC Eindhoven	19
8. RKC		18 (0)
9. FC Oss	18 (-1)
10.FC Den Bosch	17 (0)
11.Telstar	17 (-2)
12.Helmond Sp.	17 (-3)
13.FC Dordrecht	16 (0)
14.Almere City	16 (-1)
15.DE GRAAFSCH.	14
16.Sparta	12
17.SC Veendam	11
18.Spakenburg	10

Manager's thoughts

Still not doing well, but doing better. We've played much better as the team has come to grasp what I want to do tactically, and thanks to a small tweak I made to bring the 2 holding midfielders farther upfield into the center of the park instead of just in front of the back four. We're still prone to the occasional brain cramp though, but that's to be expected given the youth in our side.

By age, we're lining up 19-22-24-23 on the backline, 33-19 in central midfield, 26-27-21 and 25 in the attack.

In the meantime, the scouts are continuing to scour the globe looking for players, and there are a few I have my eye on now should the more self-important players in our side end up moving on in the winter transfer window.

We have to keep improving though, if I want to hold onto my job. I'm still listed as "very insecure". We finish up the first half of the season at Emmen (4th), home to RKC (8th) and Spakenburg (18th) and at Helmond Sport (12th). Not the easiest stretch of games, but some winnable contests in there.

Saturday, 1 November, 2014

FC Emmen 3-0 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 3,125

A dull first half in which Emmen's goal was the only bit of excitement. Breakdowns in the center of defense cost us badly in the second half, leading to Emmen's final two goals.

Friday, 7 November, 2014

De Graafschaap 3-0 RKC (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 10,021

A fantastic result and one we really needed (well, and me too, since my job is still hanging by a thread), facing a team just inside the playoff spots. Went into halftime scoreless after we'd had a goal waved off for handball. Took the lead shortly after the restart and kept RKC without even much of a look at goal.

Friday, 14 November, 2014

De Graafschap 3-0 Spakenburg (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 9,556

A game against the bottom side, and it was hardly a shooting clinic: We fired 16 shots but only put 5 on target; Spakenburg were even worse, with just 1 of 13 shots on target. The biggest difference though was our new left wing Adil Chihi (he'd been at Koln for 10 years before being released after last season) who we signed after a month-long trial. The coaches all think he'd be a good Eredivisie player right now, and he was certainly a class apart scoring a brace and setting up the third goal on his debut. We're sitting in 15th after the match, but only 3 points out of 6th as the league table is exceptionally tight as we approach the halfway mark.

Friday, 21 November, 2014

Helmond Sport 0-1 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 3,875

Facing an in-form side who've rocketed up the table to 4th thanks to 5 consecutive wins (clinching a playoff spot in the process). We were on the back foot most of the game, defending a lead taken in the 3rd minute when Nelson Viera scored in his first appearance this season. Fortunately most of Helmond Sport's shots were from distance, and our goalkeeper made the tough saves we needed him to get to. It's 3 wins on the trot for us now, and we end the season's first half in 9th, just 2 points off the playoffs. And only 2 points clear of 16th.

Friday, 28 November, 2014

De Graafschap 2-1 FC Oss (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 9,544

Managed to go 2-0 up inside of 20 minutes. Oss made it interesting with a goal in 2nd half stoppage time, but we were able to run out victorious.

[b]2014-15 Jupiler League (Through 18 of 34 rounds)[/b]
1. Excelsior	41
2. FC Emmen	29
3. SC Cambuur	28 (+8)
4. FC Eindhoven	28 (+8)
5. MVV		27
6. Volendam	26 (+5)
7. FC Den Bosch	26 (+4)
8. DE GRAAFSCH.	26 (+3)
9. Helmond Sp.	26 (-2)
10.Sparta	25 (+3)
11.AGOVV	25 (0)
12.Almere City	25 (-2)
13.FC Dordrecht	24
14.RKC		23 (-1)
15.Telstar	23 (-2)
16.FC Oss	21
17.SC Veendam	14
------------------
18.Spakenburg	10

[i]Period winners: Excelsior, Helmond Sport[/i]

Manager's thoughts

So we've managed to punch our way off the ropes, thanks to a favorable run of fixtures. December promises to be a tough effort with 3 of our 4 fixtures away from home, facing Volendam (6th), Excelsior (1st) and FC Den Bosch (7th), sandwiched around a home match against SC Cambuur (3rd). Then it's a month off for the winter break when I'll see about doing some shopping. We could use a better goalkeeper, and probably a forward more suited to be able to operate alone up top.

But first things first, we've got to come through December at least still within sight of the playoffs. Morale in the squad is slowly improving, but we still get players appearing complacent or uninterested during the match. It's not exactly encouraging when arguably your best defender makes his first appearance in six weeks (and only because one of your regular centerbacks comes down with food poisoning) and is "looking uninterested" during the match.

Good to see someone else in the Jupiler League.

Started a journey man style save a month back as AGOVV.

Against all the odds and to my utter shock I won the league on the final day by 1point! Started the day in 3rd as well so was stunned when Helmond & De Graff messed up on the final day.

Was very relieved as didnt like the look of the playoffs. From what I can make out i'd already guarenteed a playoff spot thanx to winning period 3 of the league but beyound that it gets confusing and you seem to have to play alot of rounds before playing the teams who finished in the relegation zone in league above.

One of my best achiements on FM for many years as no game breaking tactics used etc...just my own (in-consistent) tactics. Only problem is we've not got a brilliant squad and money wise were one of the poorest in the Holland and the jump looks huge from Jupiler League to top division.

Good luck with your save. Keep updates coming :)

Monday, 1 December, 2014

Volendam 2-0 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 3,601

Changed formations to counter Volendam's 3-4-3 with a 4-1-2-2-1, which the players were a bit unfamiliar with. We were unfortunate to lose, with Volendam scoring from a corner in the 60th when we failed to close down outside the box. They put it out out of reach in the 78th minute when their forward outraced my central defense to the ball, smashed it against the crossbar, then got to the rebound and buried it into an open net.

Friday, 5 December, 2014

De Graafschap 0-3 SC Cambuur (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 10,162

What is this I don't even. :mad:

Fell behind in the 15th minute when my center back weakly headed the ball back toward our goal, caught up to it, and then he and the goalkeeper couldn't decide who should clear it out of our 6-yard-box, allowing an opposing forward to nip in and score. That forward ended up scoring a hat-trick as our backline simply failed to answer the bell.

Friday, 12 December, 2014

Excelsior 0-2 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 3,445

A smash-and-grab victory against the table-toppers (who've now lost 3 on the spin). Opted for a 5-3-2 and whilst we were dominated in possession (66-34) we fired 14 shots. Only got 3 of them on target, but that turned out to be all we needed. A scrappy goal (our deep-lying forward Hulst loses the ball in the penalty area, but slide tackles it toward his strike partner El Hassnaoui who cooly puts it past the keeper) gave us the lead on 53 minutes. El Hassnaoui finished it off on 71 minutes from the top of the penalty area.

Friday, 19 December, 2014

FC Den Bosch 2-1 De Graafschap (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 3,460

A real kick in the teeth on many levels. We stayed in the 5-3-2, only for Den Bosch to take the lead in the 18th as we kept gifting possession. I decided to change things up at halftime and make 2 substitutions as part of a switch to the 4-2-3-1. We looked much better and fortune seemed to smile on us when El Hassnaoui had the ball tackled away from him, only for it to drift into Viera's path. He buried what would prove to be our only shot on target for the equalizer. But just as we were getting ready to take a hard-fought draw, Den Bosch managed a quick one-two to beat our center backs and take the lead in stoppage time. We had time for one attack, only for our right wing to .... I don't know, play the ball off the defender. Only it went straight into touch, to finish a disappointing loss.

I wouldn't be making the trip back to De Graafschap though. The managing director informed me that my services would no longer be required. And six days before Christmas.

[b]2014-15 Jupiler League (through 20 of 34 rounds)[/b]
1. Excelsior	41
2. SC Cambuur	40
3. MVV 		39
4. Volendam	35 (+9)
5. FC Eindhoven	35 (+8)
6. FC Den Bosch	33
7. Telstar	32
8. FC Dordrecht	31
9. Sparta	30 (+3)
10.FC Emmen	30 (+2)
11.RKC		30 (+2)
12.Helmond Sp.	30 (-4)
13.DE GRAAFSCH.	29 (-1)
14.Almere City	29 (-6)
15.AGOVV	28 
16.FC Oss	25
17.SC Veendam	16
18.Spakenburg	12

[i]Qualified for playoffs: Excelsior, Helmond Sport[/i]

Manager's thoughts

I've been sacked. Not much to do now except dust myself off and start firing off my CV.

A thoroughly frustrating stay in the Netherlands, not helped by the players' lack of respect for me. Perhaps I need to downshift a bit and look for a smaller club.

League
Season	Club		Nation	League		GP	W	D	L	PTS	FINISH
2012	Changwon City	ROK	N-League	13	7	3	3	24	9th (13th when hired)
2013	Changwon City	ROK	N-League	26	11	4	11	37	4th (Playoff 2nd Round)
2014	Gangwon FC	ROK	N-League	10	6	1	3	19	(Quit when wage budget cut)
2014-15	De Graafschap	NED	Jupiler League	20	9	2	11	29	SACKED 19 December

Cups
Season	Club		Nation	Cup		FINISH
2013	Changwon City	ROK	FA Cup		Third round (Ulsan 5-1 Changwon)
2013	Changwon City	ROK	N-League Cup	Semifinal (Gwangju 1-0 Changwon)
2014-15	De Graafschap	NED	KNVB Cup	Third round (Utrecht 3-0 De Graafschap)

Career Totals
Club		Nation	GP	W	D	L	Win%
Changwon City	ROK	47	21	9	17	44
De Graafschap	NED	20	9	2	12	45

Argentina

2012-13 1. River Plate/Boca Juniors ... Relegated: All Boys, Quilmes, Union

2013-14 1. Colon/Boca Juniors ... Relegated: Gimnasia (LP), Patronato, Godoy Cruz

Australia

2013-14 Melbourne Victory (Premiers) ... Brisbane Road (Champions)

2014-15 Melbourne Victory (Premiers) ... Sydney FC (Champions)

Austria

2012-13 1. Red Bull Salzburg 2. SV Mattersburg 3. Austria Wien .... Relegated: Wacker Innsbruck

2013-14 1. Red Bull Salzburg 2. Rapid Wien 3. Sturm Graz ... Relegated: First Vienna

Belgium

2012-13 1. Club Brugge 2. Anderlecht 3. Genk ... Relegated: Lokeren

2013-14 1. Genk 2. Anderlecht 3. Club Brugge ... Relegated: Westerlo (playoff), OH Leuven

Brazil

2012 1. Cruzerio, 2. Fluminense, 3. Atletico Mineiro ... Relegated: Cortiba, Atletico Goianiense, Portuguesa, Figureirense

2013 1. Santos, 2. Sao Paulo, 3. Vasco ... Relegated: Parana, Nautico, Ponte Preta, Avai

2014 1. Santos, 2. Sao Paulo, 3. Corinthians ... Relegated; Ceara, Bahia, Atletico Paranaense, Vitoria

China

2012 1. Guangzhou 2. Tianjin 3. Renhe ... Relegated: Shenxin

2013 1. Guangzhou 2. Shandong 3. Beijing ... Relegated: Wuhan, Qingdao

2014 1. Shandong 2. Guangzhou 3. Jiangsu ... Relegated: A'erbin, Yongchang

Denmark

2012-13 1. Kobenhavn 2. Silkeborg 3. Nordsjaelland ... Relegated: SonderjyskE, AaB

2013-14 1. Kobenhavn 2. Nordsjaelland 3. OB .... Relegated: Silkeborg, Lyngby

England

2012-13 1. Man City, 2. Man Utd, 3. Chelsea ... Relegated: Reading, Wigan, Norwich

2013-14 1. Chelsea 2. Man City 3. Man Utd ... Relegated: Hull, Sunderland, QPR

France

2012-13 1. PSG, 2. Lyon, 3. Nancy ... Relegated: ESTAC Troyes, Rennes, Stade de Reims

2013-14 1. PSG 2. Lyon 3. Marseille ... Relegated: Bastia, Sedan Ardennes, Ajaccio

Germany

2012-13 1. Bayern, 2. Dortmund, 3. Eintracht .... Relegated: Nurnberg (playoff), Augsburg, Mainz

2013-14 1. Leverkusen 2. Bayern 3. Dortmund ... Relegated: 1860 Munich, Hertha Berlin

Holland

2012-13 1. Twente, 2. Utrecht, 3. Ajax ... Relegated: RKC (playoff), Willem II

2013-14 1. PSV 2. Ajax 3. AZ ... Relegated: Helmond Sport

Italy

2012-13 1. Juventus, 2. Fiorentina, 3. AC Milan ... Relegated: Torino, Pescara, Udinese

2013-14 1. Juventus 2. Napoli 3. Fiorentina ... Relegated: Chievo, Spezia, Siena

Mexico

2012-13 Open: America/America, Close: Cruz Azul/America ... Relegated: Atlas

2013-14 Open: Pachuca/America, Close: America/Leon ... Relegated: Correcaminos

Norway

2012 1. Molde 2. Rosenborg 3. Lillestrom ... Relegated: Stabaek, Brann, Viking

2013 1. Rosenborg 2. Molde 3. Aalesund ... Relegated: Strommen, Sandnes Ulf, Odd

2014 1. Rosenborg 2. Valerenga, 3. Tromso ... Relegated: Ull/Kisa, Stromgodset, Honefoss

Portugal

2012-13 1. Benfica, 2. Porto, 3. Sporting ... Relegated: Gil Vicente, Moreirense

2013-14 1. Benfica 2. Porto 3. Sporting ... Relegated: Beira-Mar, Freamunde

Russia

2012-13 1. Spartak Moscow, 2. Rubin Kazan, 3. CSKA Moscow ... Relegated: Volga NN, Terek Grozny

2013-14 1. CSKA Moscow 2. Anji 3. Spartak Moscow ... Relegated: Ural, SKA Khabarovsk

Scotland

2012-13 1. Celtic, 2. Dundee United, 3. Hearts ... Relegated: St. Johnstone

2013-14 1. Celtic 2. Hearts 3. Motherwelll ... Relegated: Aberdeen

South Korea

2012 1. Suwon Blue Wings 2. Seoul 3. Gyeongnam ... Relegated: Sangju (administrative), Gwangju

2013 1. Suwon Blue Wings 2. Seongnam 3. Seoul ... Relegated: Gangwon (playoff), Daegu, Daejeon KHNP

2014: 1. Suwon Blue Wings 2. Seongnam 3. Seoul ... Relegated: Kookmin Bank (playoff), Ulsan HMD, Chungju Hummel

Spain

2012-13 1. Barcelona, 2. Real Madrid, 3. Valencia ... Relegated: Deportivo, Osasuna, Zaragoza

2013-14 1. Barcelona 2. Atletico Madrid 3. Valencia ... Relegated: Mallorca, Valladolid, Levante

Sweden

2012 1. Elfsborg 2. Hacken 3. Goteborg ... Relegated: GAIS, Syrianska

2013 1. Orebro 2. AIK 3. Elfsborg ... Relegated: GIF Sundsvall, Hacken

2014 1. Kalmar FF 2. Halmstad 3. AIK ... Relegated: Norrkoping, Mjallby

Switzerland

2012-13 1. Sion 2. Basel 3. Young Boys ... Relegated: Lausanne

2013-14 1. Basel 2. Sion 3. Young Boys ... Relegated: Bellinzona

USA

2012 League: Seattle ... Playoffs: Philadelphia

2013 League: Los Angeles ... Playoffs: New England

Uruguay

2012-13 Open: Progreso, Close: Penarol .... Relegated: Cerro, El Tanque Sisley, Fenix

2013-14 Open: Penarol, Close: Nacional ... Relegated: Cerro Largo, Huracan del Paso, Rocha

Club World Cup

2012 Winner: Chelsea ... Runner-up: Corinthians

2013 Winner: Barcelona ... Runner-up: Cruzeiro

African Champions League

2012 Winner: Zamalek (EGY) ... Runner-up: TP Mazembe (COD)

2013 Winner: Ismaily (EGY) ... Runner-up: Al-Ahly (EGY)

Asian Champions League

2012 Winner: Guangzhou (CHN) ... Runner-up: Al-Ittihad (KSA)

2013 Winner: Funabashi Bandits (JPN) ... Runner-up: Guangzhou (CHN)

2014 Winner: Chelsea (ENG) ... Runner-up: Botafogo (BRA)

UEFA Champions League

2012-13 Winner: Barcelona (ESP) ... Runner-up: Man Utd (ENG)

2013-14 Winner: Chelsea (ENG) ... Runner-up: Man City (ENG)

CONCACAF Champions League

2012-13 Winner: Los Angeles (USA) ... Runner-up: Chivas (MEX)

2013-14 Winner: Cruz Azul (MEX) ... RUnner-up: America (MEX)

Oceania Champions League

2012-13 Winner: Auckland City (NZL) ... Runner-up: Waitakere Utd (NZL)

2013-14 Winner: Auckland City (NZL) ... Runner-up: Waitakere Utd (NZL)

Copa Libertadores

2013 Winner: Cruzeiro (BRA) ... Runner-up: Fluminense (BRA)

2014 Winner: Botafogo (BRA) ... Runner-uP: Sao Paulo (BRA)

Well, Tiny Tim will get a Christmas after all. And a Klingon proverb says revenge is a dish best served cold.

What I'm trying to say is I won't be leaving the Netherlands. I won't even be leaving the Jupiler League. Because after missing out on the Perth Glory job to Mark Schwarzer, Almere City decided to take a chance on me.

It's not a long deal, only through the end of the season. It's worth $1,800/week though, and there's room in the budget: We have a $165,000 transfer budget, and we're almost $10,000/week under the wage budget. It is a much smaller club, with an average attendance of only 1,455 this season, well below what I was in front of at De Graafschap.

Founded in 1997, Almere City FC are a professional Dutch club currently playing in the Jupiler League. The club play their home games at Mitsubishi Forklift Stadion and possess adequate training facilities and basic youth facilities. The club also has average junior coaching and a fairly basic youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as Zwarte Schapen.

With no real competition history of note, Zwarte Schapen are a club with a trophy cabinet waiting to be filled.

Wiki tells me "Zwarte Schapen" translates as "Black Sheep". And it certainly fits their history. They were founded in 1972 when disgruntled supporters formed a new club following the merger of DWS, Volewijckers and Blauw-Wit into FC Amsterdam.

"After several violent incidents on the pitch and a six-month suspension by the Royal Dutch Football Association, the club moved from Amsterdam to nearby Almere and changed its name to Sporting Flevoland."

In 2001 they became FC Omniworld due to a consortium's efforts (with the city council's participation) to bring professional sport to Almere, with the football club, a basketball club and a volleyball club all sharing the Omniworld name.

In 2010 they changed their name again to AFC Almere City before changing it again a few weeks later to Almere City FC on the grounds that the AFC prefix was too reminiscent of their partners AFC Ajax (with which we still have as a parent club).

The assistant's report is promising, though we could probably use an upgrade at right back and on the left side of midfield.

Oh, and guess who our opponent is coming out of the winter break? You guessed it, De Graafschaap.

Friday, 16 January, 2015

De Graafschap 3-0 Almere City (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 9,948

Revenge will have to wait. Until I fix the back five. All of De Graafschap's goals came from players who were left unmarked in the penalty area, the second when my "looking uninterested" goalkeeper (who's unhappy that he hasn't played much this season) punched a save into the path of the De Graafschap forward.

Friday, 23 January, 2015

FC Den Bosch 4-0 Almere City (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 2,936

Well at this rate I won't even survive the first month in Almere. I called out our defence in the pre-match press conference, and they lived down to my expectations. Left back got caught ball-watching on the first goal. On the second, the defense all backed off the man with the ball, so he made a mazy run and took an uncontested shot that whistled into the back of the net. On the third, the Den Bosch forward easily flew past the center back. And the fourth was a corner we didn't deal with. AWful performance.

Friday, 30 January, 2015

Almere City 2-1 SC Cambuur (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 1,408

Well it wasn't pretty, but it got the job done. Made three changes from the Den Bosch match. Looked like more of the same though when we hammered a shot at an open net off the crossbar though. Finally took the lead in the 44th minute from a fine through ball. Put the game out of reach in the 81st when my substitute left wing tried an overhead clearance of a free kick that whistled into the Cambuur net. They managed pull one back late when they went over the top of my defense, but we managed to hold on even with the referee giving 5-1/2 minutes of 4 minutes of stoppage time.

[b]2014-15 Jupiler League (through 25 of 34 rounds)
1. MVV		46
2. Excelsior	45
3. SC Cambuur	43
4. Volendam	39
5. FC Eindhoven	38
6. FC Emmen	37
7. Sparta	36 (+7)
8. FC Den Bosch	36 (+7)
9. Helmond Sport36 (+6)
10.FC Dordrecht	35 (+10)
11.Telstar	35 (+4)
12.De Graafscha.35 (+1)
13.RKC		34
14.FC Oss	33
15.ALMERE CITY	32
16.AGOVV	29
17.SC Veendam	20
18.Spakenburg	15

[i]Cambuur, Excelsior, Helmond Sport have qualified for the playoffs[/i]

Manager's thoughts

An ugly start to my Almere City tenure, and we didn't look convincing in posting our first win under my regime. There's a lot of work to be done with this time, especially at the back; we have the third worst goal difference in the league (although the -6 from my first three matches doesn't help). Our deep-lying playmake Sander Rozema looked quite good in the win though, so maybe he's someone we can build around.

Unfortunately even at the smaller club I'm still running into players "finding it difficult to motivate themselves to play for you." So this could all go pear-shaped again.

February is a quiet month with only two matches. We have a two week break until we face Excelsior away, followed a week later with a match against SC Veendam on our plastic pitch.

The playoffs aren't totally out of reach, but given how many teams we'd have to leapfrog, I just want us to rack up as many points as we can.

Jim White Day

Top deadline deals:

David Luiz from Chelsea to PSG for $16M

Marko Scepovic from Partizan to PSV for $10.5M

Wout Brama from FC Twente to PSV for $7M

So as you can guess, it was a busy deadline day in the Netherlands. PSV accounted for 2 of the top 3 deals, with AZ splashing out a combined $6M in the 5th and 6th largest deals. Vitesse had the 7th biggest deal at $1.8M and the 9th biggest at $1.5M. Utrecht were involved in the 4th biggest deal when they sold Cedric Badjeck to Porto for $5M.

We weren't part of that action, but we were busy during the winter window.

IN

Christian Nade (Loan, Buriram United)

The 30-year-old French forward (whom some of you might remember from Hearts) has been in Thailand the past four seasons. Buriram put him on the transfer window at no cost, but I decided to be more cautious and just try him on loan. My coaches are across the board on him, but in general they see him as an Eredivisie player at this moment.

Mike ten Kroode (Free)

A product of Den Haag's youth system, the 20-year-old goalkeeper didn't make the grade for them and they released him after last season (in which he made 13 appearances for them). I'd brought him on trial with De Graafschap only for him to suffer an injury a few days into it. I gave him another trial at Almere and decided it was worth the punt. More of a long-term signing, the coaches generally see him as a Topklasse player now, but with the potential to be a good Eredivisie goalkeeper.

Daniel Buballa (Free)

The versatile German (primarily left back, but also left midfield) has bounced around a bit, but posted a 7.22 rating in 20 2.Bundesliga appearances two seasons ago, followed by a 7.1 in 6 appearances last season. I'm hopeful that he can provide an upgrade to what I've had to run out at left back so far. At age 24, my coaches don't think he'll get much better, but they do think he can be an important first-team player for us. Signed only through the end of the season, so it's a fairly low-risk deal for us.

Alessandro Cesarini (Free)

A bit of a journeyman himself, the 25-year-old Italian foward was good enough to get 16 appearances in Serie A last season with Spezia, but only scored twice and had a 6.42 rating. We're looking for something more like two seasons ago when he scored 16 goals in 31 appearances for Prato in Serie C1. The coaches are mixed on him, with most seeing him as a good Jupiler League forward, but a couple see him only as a Topklasse player. Another low-risk deal, signed only through the remainder of this season.

Out

Allard Dobbe (Loan, ARC)

A not especially good young centerback who was whinging about wanting to go on loan. Put him on the development list and ARC decided he was good enough for them. His contract with us experies at the end of the season, and it's doubtful I'll re-sign him.

Friday, 13 February, 2015

Excelsior 2-1 Almere City (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 3,399

Frustrating. Took the lead in the 32nd minute through a textbook counterattack, only to give it up 6 minutes later when my defense parted like the Red Sea to allow an opposing forward to run at goal with the ball. Condemned to defeat in the 77th minute when the Excelsior right wing managed to get a shot off from a tight angle. They had only 2 shots on target the whole game, and they both end up in the back of the net.

Friday, 20 February, 2015

Almere City 1-0 SC Veendam (Jupiler League)

Attendance: 1,379

A much more dominant win than the score suggests. We had 61% of possession, and Veendam took only 2 shots, both of them off target.

[b]2015-16 Jupiler League (through 27 of 34 rounds)[/b]
1. Excelsior	51
------------------
2. MVV		50
3. SC Cambuur	46
4. Volendam	43
5. Helmond Spor.42
6. Telstar	41
7. De Graafsch.	39
8. FC Dordrecht	38 (+7)
------------------
9. FC Emmen	38 (+5)
10.FC Eindhoven	38 (+2)
11.Sparta	37 (+6)
12.FC Den Bosch	37 (+6)
13.RKC		35 (-2)
14.ALMERE CITY	35 (-12)
15.FC Oss	33
16.AGOVV	30
17.SC Veendam	23
------------------
18.Spakenburg	18

[i]Cambuur, Excelsior, Helmond Sport have qualified for playoffs[/i]

Manager's thoughts

A mixed bag with a win and a loss in this quiet month. I gave ten Kroode his debut in the Veendam match despite him not having match fitness, but we made it so we didn't have to rely on him. Nade got his first goal for the club in that match also, so there are hopeful signs if we can get a bit of traction.

The playoffs are still a possibility if we can get any kind of consistency, and our remaining fixtures give us a chance. A tough away trip to MVV (2nd) starts off the month of March, followed 3 days later with a home match against AGOVV (16th). Four days after that is a trip to Sparta (11th), then a two week break before we welcome Dordrecht (8th) to our plastic pitch.

Archived