I've finally become what I can't stand (shameless rant)

Every year there are a whole heap of posts on these forums as people complain about the latest iteration of Football Manager, and how they're going back to the last version which was, of course, better in every way (funny how this happens every year. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.). And every year I roll my eyes, writing these people off as bad losers, or just as the type who has to complain about everything.

However this year I find myself joining their shameful ranks, as FM12 downloads in the background. I've really tried with FM13. I tried different approaches, started new games with different teams, looked at the tactics forum, tried other's advice. And sometimes I do well and sometimes I don't, but either way I just get the impression that it's all random. I get the impression that I could have the greatest team in the world with the best tactics, or the worst team with terrible tactics, and the result would still come down to the flip of a coin.

So sorry for this rant, but I'm going back to 12 for the time being. I have some unfinished business making Aberdeen a continental force.

I totally get this. I've had FM13 since release. I simply cannot get stuck into a save. Have restarted roughly 15 times. Different teams, leagues, top teams, tiny teams, it doesn't matter. I've had success, won a few league titles, a champions league, got a BSS team promoted to the football league. I'm just not enjoying it like previous years. Haven't really given the latest ME update a full days play yet, really hoping it reignites my passion for the game, if it doesn't FM13 has been a write off for me. Have you given the update a go?

I've got a long.... long..... long FM 11 save. To leave it behind for FM13 was difficult to say the least. I was managing the No. 1 and No. 2 clubs in the world (added a new manager after bringing one club to the top, because I wanted to see if I could do it again, but couldn't bare to leave my boys behind, and see them managed by some ******). The upside is that it is much quicker advancing through a save when you are only managing the one side! There were times in FM11 where I was in charge of two club teams AND two national teams, simultaneously!

Can/does a ME make you feel this way?

Are you sure it is not other circumstances that are clouding your judgement? i.e time to play, work, family, or just getting older etc

I will find out if this is a case after playing FM12 for a while. If I still can't enjoy it then clearly the issue is personal, but from what others are saying I don't think that's the case.

I really can't understand the fact loads of people rant about FM every year.

I am not the best manager ever (I'm a goalkeeper IRL how many of them make a good manager?)

But I've taken St.Albans into the Premier league and I've now won everything there is to win in fm13 with Tottenham.

I did a similar thing with fm12 aswell.

So what I'm trying to say guys is if I can do it anybody can do it.Just takes time.

I haven't enjoyed the last two or three to be honest just play it more out of habit than enjoyment. The fact you can spend two hours setting up what you think is a decent tactic to then go and lose 4-0 in the first game is just disheartening. I can just completely see through the game now. i made the mistake of downloading genie scout for fm12 and the idea that everyone has a near enough set potential they can reach just completely ruins it for me.

So many little things irritate me. The fact that year on year SI don't improve player stats - wilfried zaha, raheem sterling, Gareth Bale to name a few have all improved dramatically IRL yet for some reason SI don't like to alter their attributes accordingly.

If you have a top scorer in the lower divisions i.e someone scoring 20+goals a season regularily IRL the player would be subjected to numerous bids from higher league clubs - yet nothing of the sort happens here.

the fact that you have to pay about 70million pounds in the top leagues to sign anyone you want...yet when the computer bids for your players they offer under the asking price and withdraw their offer if you attempt to raise it.

it is nigh on impossible to win the champions league without cheating no matter who you go.

overall the game has become trying to beat a fault in the match engine...imitating tactics IRL - football manager just do not work.

then again if I can't get into any more saves then i will have to end my 13years of association with CM/FM games

i've just ended a 72 game unbeaten run went a full season unbeaten winning every game at home in every competition and only drawing 4 away...but it was using the modern warfare 442 tactic and a counter tactic found to use away from home...with it not being my tactic it just doesn't feel the same. ive tried the tactic help forum and everything...too many sliders. but hey this is a ranting thread

I didn't buy FM13 cus when I heard about the new engine I knew it would be buggy as hell, just like 2008 with the new 3d camera. Give it a couple of years and the game will be good again. Currently playing 12 and I really enjoy it.

I'm the same aku i can create a tactic that wins at home...but playing one striker away on FM just does not work like it does IRL...so i have to copy others. i think i just need a new challenge...might visit one of the other sections and see if anyone has a good rags to riches story...that would reignite me hopefully.

I haven't bothered with Fm 2013 yet, i'm sticking with FM 2012 until its made clear the new ME is fixed properly.

As i'm still playing FM 2012 and the latest transfer window has shut does anyone know where i can get a FM 2012 transfer update for Jan 2013

Things that have ruined FM for me in the past:

Using an Editor/Genie Scout to look at my player's PA, or even alter it.

Using downloaded tactics.

Using forums that list talented players that can be cheaply signed at the start of the game (this is why I prefer the game once it is mainly regens)

Now I avoid those things like the plague. My first season in charge of Inter I found very difficult. I was probably a couple results from being fired, had to reload a couple key clashes, and even had the Assistant Manager take charge of the last few games of the season as the team was slumping and I just didn't feel I knew what to do to turn it around. Take the pressure off, the players don't fight. Tell them I need a win and they play but then get nervous within 30 or 40 minutes, after conceding a goal or even a foul.

Since then though, it has just been up up up. I have focused on building a team of very determined, physical young players, with good mental attributes (spec. decisions and anticipation) and snapping up the transfer bargains and free transfers that come along (because of Inter's financial difficulties). The expectations combined with limited resources made it really tough to start, but it has been so rewarding to turn it all around, and now have a young squad, a bank balance of $100m and transfer kitty of $40m, when in the first season there was an aging squad, no money in the bank, and a $4m transfer kitty!

Archived