4-2-3-1 Dortmund - posession, winning, highly aesthetic [patch 13.1.3]

Hello everybody

General info

This is my Dortmund tactic that won me the league title and took me to the Champions League final (which I lost to Juve on penalties) in the first season. Only bought Ademilson and Adryan, two youngsters who didn't make it into first eleven yet. Other than that none bought, none sold.

The formation is a lopsided 4-2-3-1 with a Dr, a WBl, a DMr and MCl. It's actually a pretty straightforward 4-2-3-1. An anchor man is placed on the right side to balance the more attacking wingback. On the left the ball winning midfielder is trying to win possession higher up.

formationq.png

I'm always trying to implement an exciting, free-flowing one-touch football. The philosophy is therefore very fluid, the tempo rather quick, and passing set to short. Despite the quick tempo I enjoyed high possession stats, generally around 60%. Here's a short video showing the style (at least if it's going well). I'm rather proud of the first goal against Arsenal. Everything played directly, quick, short passes, no chance for the opponents to interfere. To me an absolute stunner of a goal.

http://www.metacafe.com/w/9530686

Results

The results have been great for me and been consistent. My team has been hugely overachieving (especially in the Champions League). So here are some results. Firstly, Dortmund giving Real a beating at Bernabeu:

realhalftime.png

Dortmund won 0:4 in the end. I bet Mourinho was upset at that. Lost 1:2 at home fielding several youngsters, and made it comfortably into the CL final.

And here's the fixture list, one particular highlight beating Bayern München 5:2

fixture2y.png

Tipps and tricks/How to handle

The starting mentality is set to "control" by default. When facing stronger opponents change that to "standard". When holding on to a lead I often switch to "counter" later on (your opponent can try and prepare for some quick, nasty couner attacks), but didn't go any more defensive. I didn't use shouts, and let my assistant do the opponents instructions. Never gave a pre-match talk and halftime/fulltime only when the assistant either proposed to praise or to criticise.

In pre-season I set match triaining to team cohesion/tactic until fully accustomed to the tactic, then switched to ball control during the season. Another thing I trained was defending set pieces.

Transfer targets should be chosen according to their role in the tactic though I sometimes used a more attacking/creative player in the MCl slot.

Hope it does well for you guys too and brings you some exciting and succesfull football. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Download

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then my Att mid Adryan arrived and I am unbeaten for six games. So i think or it looks like the AP is a key part in this tactic and also my team is fluid now so let's see how the other six games will go. There is one strange thing..almost every game one of my wingers is rating between a 5 and a 6 and the other winger is betweens a 7 and an 8. Als I think the midfielders need good tackling because my tackling rate is about 60%..passing rate is about 80%/ Will test it further...

Thanks for the feedback. Familiarity with the tactic is crucial in FM13 I think. Certainly a good AMC does help, as he brings the creative element into the game. But my side did well with diferent players in that position. With Götze being often injured I also employed Gündogan, Grosskreuz, Adryan, and Bittencourt, who is not yet a very good player. Strange thing with your wingers there. Mine had a bad day occasionally but generally scored ratings around 7

This tactic is giving me some very realistic stuff on my Liverpool save, hehe. 11 matches into the first season and im on a disappointing 12th with only 4 wins. It's going well in the cups, but league not so much. Usually dominating with a lot of shots and about 60% possession. It's also quite strong defensively, but I cant seem to score goals. 13 goals in 11 matches played is quite bad.

have to say - i gave this tactic a go with my flagging united side (8th in prem mid november, with spalletti in the stands declaring interest in my job!) and it has sorted them right out, 1st game a nice 3-1 away win followed by an 8-0 demolition of benfica in the champs league

very impressed even after only 2 games

So far, not so good. Started a Dortmund save like you, first game super cup against Bayern Munich, lost 5-0. 2 shots where the first came in the 53rd minute. Second game, German cup against Aue, 2 double yellow cards 0-0 after 90 min. In OT Kehl was injured and I'd made all my subs so 8 players on the pitch.. Still managed to get a goal in OT somehow and win 0-1 but yea I dunno.. Will keep trying since you say it works best when the players have learned the tactic better.

EDIT: Third game starts a bit more promising, beautiful goal in the first minute against Nürnberg :)

well ive now played 15 more games with this tactic and ive only lost once (but that was with 2nd string in champs league dead rubber match as i had already qualified)

my worst result with my 1st team has been a 2-2 draw with city, i have won every other game bar those 2 i have mentioned.

scored some very nicely worked goals, great to watch.

and i like how much the attacking trio behind the striker get in on the goals and assists.

also seems to be very tight defensively with both cbs being rated well

couple of manager of the months, and a climb to second in the table - still impressed

Actually the flanks are covered quite well with two wide players on each side (the AML/AMR are helping out defensively if necessary). I don't know whether this would have worked on an earlier patch, but with the latest patch it has not been an issue for me so far.

Again, how familiar is your team with the tactic? It's really mandatory that your team knows the tactic inside out. Also you can set the training to "attacking movement". Hope that helps

Havent had time to play more or respond, until now ;) All in all, i've played 30 matches so far on my Liverpool save and the tactic is fluid on 6 out of 8 "levels". Only the top two are not fluid yet, and those two seem to take forever to get to fluid..Is it suppiose to take this long? If its a must to have a fluid running tactic on FM13, you kind of waste 1/3 of a season or more before things start to work. I assume its knocked back again when the squad goes on vacation?

Ill keep playing until the tactic is fluid and then some. But its not looking too good atm though with only 7 wins out of 16 played in the PL. Scored only 21 goals in 16 matches so maybe the squad is lacking the quality needed to perform with this tactic. Btw, am i the only one trying this tactic in FMC? Im havent been able to find a decent working tactic on this patch, and i only play FMC.

Thanks for giving it the time zombo. I assume you set up the training accordingly to get your team to know the tactic? But it's true, if you don't train a tactic in preseason it takes quite some time to settle in.

I haven't tried the tactic in FMC since I don't play it. Might be that tactics work differently there. So, sorry that I can't give you more helpful advice

Havent had time to play more or respond, until now ;) All in all, i've played 30 matches so far on my Liverpool save and the tactic is fluid on 6 out of 8 "levels". Only the top two are not fluid yet, and those two seem to take forever to get to fluid..Is it suppiose to take this long? If its a must to have a fluid running tactic on FM13, you kind of waste 1/3 of a season or more before things start to work. I assume its knocked back again when the squad goes on vacation?

Ill keep playing until the tactic is fluid and then some. But its not looking too good atm though with only 7 wins out of 16 played in the PL. Scored only 21 goals in 16 matches so maybe the squad is lacking the quality needed to perform with this tactic. Btw, am i the only one trying this tactic in FMC? Im havent been able to find a decent working tactic on this patch, and i only play FMC.

No single tactic seems to work for FMC, I switched back to normal games as well :(

I have tried it out for 2 games with Everton and I really enjoy the way this tactic gets the team playing. It is only early, but will let you know how it is going after some more games.

By the way I have changed the tactic a bit since I have Baines as the WB so I have moved the WB and anchor to the left side and BMW to the right side, Have you made any indivdual settings on these or is it the default ones?

Thank you, the playing style is always important to me, so I'm really glad you like watching it too.

Switching sides of the wingback, anchor man, and bwm is not a problem. Check their settings in the original tactic though as I made some minor tweaks to their settings

Just finished my first season. The result using your tactic is under the blue line, as you can see I did pretty well.

fixturesg.jpg

My plan is to do a homegrown only save game so I am basically playing with the original team although I have sold John Heitinga and Jan Mucha to free up some wages and signed some good tutors for my youngsters so my team is not great by any means and it is getting on a fair bit.

I have a question about your match prep as well. When the tactic becomes fluid you mentioned that you change to ball control and def. set pieces, but do you make any changes to the schedule as I have it 50% or max on tactic only and then I dropped it to 30% def. set pieces when fluid.

The big surprise for me is how well Steven Naismith are doing as a striker in this tactic he has been keeping jelavic on the bench since I changed tactic.

I don't have much to choose from when it comes to ball playing defenders, how important do you find that for the tactic or shoul it work fine if both will be cd? I will try next season and see how it goes.

Nice results there, what a start!

The match prep can be changed as you see fit once the tactic is fluid. I switched to def. set pieces as I had conceded some goals this way. But you can certainly change it according to circumstances.

The ball playing defender is sth Dortmund uses irl and Hummels is really suited to this role. So I implemented it too. I haven't tried without but think it should work fine. Don't see a reason why it shouldn't.

Thanks for the graphic and keep us posted how your homegrown experiment comes along

Interesting thought. Lewandowski is scoring enough for me (will post a screenshot next week). I have thought about setting him as a poacher, but feared he wasn't connected to the game if doing so. Will try it out when I have the time though. Could you post a screenshot of your strikers scoring stats?

Here are Lewandowski's stats. He picked up an injury early on this season, so he has played only one match. Last season he had an average rating of 7.33, scoring 23 goals. I'm pretty happy with that, but will experiment with the poacher setting...

lewandowskiz.png

Playing as Rosenborg in 2019, this tactic really works for me:

3-0 Bergen (H)

1-0 Glasgow (H)

2-0 Lilleström (A)

4-0 Glasgow (A)

2-0 Molde (H)

What strikes me most is that I am on a 5-match not-conceded run with the two outer defenders on attack. I like it!

As for the goal distribution:

AML (3)

AMC (3)

DM (3, but both freekicks)

ST (2)

MC (1)

Going to give this a go. Fingers crossed this is the first plug in and play tactic released on this forum for FM13. <3 

First game against Liverpool with Newcastle, Zaha and Nathan Redmond on the wings, 2 goals each. 5-1. Happy days.

Edit;

This was with a dreadful awful obscenely low level of moral and implemented the day of the match.

Been playing with this tactic for 2 1/2 seasons now with Real Madrid, here are my result - simply put, this is the best tactic i have used so far. I have tweaked the set pieces a little thou (attacking) because i felt i scored very little goals that way.

2013/14 (13.1.3)

JaATx.png

3Q8GR.png

gmOwX.png

2014/15 (13.1.3)

qLDTe.png

cElMO.png

2015/16 (13.2)

XP0Mh.png

My 4-1-2-2-1 tactic fell completely apart in season two. Worked like a charm for two thirds of season 1, leading me to second in the league with Spurs. Start of next season, I lose 4 out of my first five league games ( run of Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City !) get knocked out of the CL at the group stages, and am lagging seven points behind 4th place after 20 games. To make matters worse, my mate playing as Newcastle is almost unbeaten this season using the 4-1-2-2-1. Despite me spending hours on Cleon's thread trying to fix things, it just wouldn't happen. Woodwork after woodwork, defenders gifting the oppo goals with insane passes to them, last minute winners against me all the time despite me taking every care I could to stop that from happening, the list was endless.

Anyways, cut a long story short, I was almost at the point of throwing my Imac out of the window last night, and decided to create a new tactic and began tinkering about. The shape was actually the same as the one on here, except with the WB, BPD and A on the left ( Alaba, Vertonghen and Sandro ). Found this thread, and instead of downloading, made a few alterations to what I had ( which was very similar ), and gave it a try.

It's looking good so far. I've won four games on the trot, three in the PL and one in the CL

4-1 v Dinamo

3-1 v Fulham

2-1 v Sunderland

2-0 v Swansea

Great for holding a ton of possession, and in doing so, giving very little to the opposition. All my goals conceded have come from inside channels just inside the box, either the player running free into box and scoring for himself, or laying a simple cross along the face of the goal for someone. Obviously, the highly attacking fullbacks/wingbacks are playing their part here, and I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Hoping it works on some of the big boys, because come late January, I have that same ridiculous run against them. Right now, I have a run of 5 games against poorer opposition, where I can hopefully get this tactic working even better, and make up some ground on the top four.

Archived