[FM13] Big Club, Small Country - Challenge

manchesterunitedfcn.png

Mugund Santh - Manchester United/India - 2012/13 - Season 1

Had a very good first season winning the League/FA Cup double. Major disappointment was get knocked out of Champions Cup 1st Knockout round by Bayern Munich. Man City ran us close in the league. In the end, we kept the nerve and won the league with 1 game to spare. Another highlight was beating Man City in the FA Cup Semi Final through penalties. On the Capital One Cup front, we were knocked out by Aston Villa in the Quarter Final

No Indian Regens yet. Hopefully we will get someone coming through next season

League Table

League Positions Graph

Capital One Cup

FA Cup

Champions Cup

Squad - Nice performance from the entire squad with almost all of them averaging above 7, with Vidic leading the team with 7.55. Surprisingly, Danny Welbeck had been performing above expectations becoming the top scorer for Man Utd with 22 goals from 41 appearances

Transfers - Started the game with selecting no transfer funds allowed in the first season. However, the board gave me some money to spend for the January transfer window and grabbed a few of them. No high profile signings. Notable transfers are Davide Santon (DL) from Newcastle & Florent Malouda (ML) as a free transfer

Career Summary

Season          League          FA Cup          League Cup      Europe                   Others
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2102/13         1st             Winners         Quarter Final   CL 1st KO Round          N/A

Hoping to have a better second season.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided to take a break from my Gundo's challenge attempt in Czech Republic so have decided to have a crack at this.

FC Basel has stunned the Swiss footballing community by announcing former Luxembourg international Jonny Howe as manager. Howe, who has no previous managerial experience, had a brief but remarkably prolific international career, scoring 10 goals in 26 games for The Red Lions, and has now taken the plunge into management. Upon appointment at Basel, Howe declared that he would be looking to strengthen ties between the club and his home country, to help both reach new heights.

tottenham-hotspur_zpsff771714.jpg

The Samoan at Tottenham

Season 2012/2013 Review

Pretty good season all round really. Runner-up in the Premiership, FA Cup Winners and Europa Winners. Were extremely shoddy in the League Cup though. Knocked out in the third round by Chelsea.

League

FA Cup

Europa League

Loads out and quite a few youngsters in as I'd like to bring youngsters through in the coming years.

Transfers

First batch of regens were awful. No Samoans so fingers crossed for this year. Also no Samoan job offer yet.

150px-FC_Basel.png

FC Basel 2012/2013

Won the league, lost in the semi-final of the cup, and disappointingly finished bottom of my CL group of Real Madrid, Benfica and Montpellier. Youth intake was multi-national, but no Luxembourgers. Everyone looks dreadful though.

League Table

Youth Intake

Squad Stats

Transfers

I've inherited a big squad, with a first team good enough domestically but not even close to being competitive in Europe. This season though, I've focused on getting the club into better shape, rather than splashing cash on players. I've convinced the board to buy the stadium which we had been renting - we've been pretty much filling it most weeks so hopefully I can start expanding it. Youth facilities and junior coaching have both been improved, and I've brought in a couple of Luxembourger staff to hopefully increase the chances of me getting youth products.

Luxembourg update

The national team have been quite competitive, to my surprise. They lost by single goals to N. Ireland, Israel and Portugal, and drew against Armenia in WC Qualifying. They beat Andorra in a friendly and drew against Liechtenstein, Montenegro and New Zealand. The coach, Luc Holtz, has a job status of Stable.

World Ranking peaked at 109th in February but as of July, they are back down to 133rd.

Aims for the upcoming season

Expand the stadium

Play European football post-Christmas

Get a Luxembourger youth product

• 4 weeks later...

Arsenal_FC.svg

GreyedOutMan - Arsenal/Guatemala - 2021/22

After an upgrade to the youth recruitment network last year, my board agreed to have my youth facilities upgraded this year. Got to be a good thing for future Guats. However, my team is starting to feel the pain caused by the need to blood Guats. It's still odd - in the main, my players perform well individually but as a team we are so inconsistent. We cruised to a Champions' League place this year but ended up 20 points off the top spot. It's annoying cause I don't know how to sort it!

League Table - says it all really. Miles and miles off.

League Positions Graph - fairly stable really. Consistently inconsistent....

Capital One Cup - inexplicable performance at Old Trafford - it wasn't a case of a 1-1-8 formation or anything I promise!

FA Cup - we weren't too bad at Wembley but Chelsea played well.

UEFA Champions League - a terrible display at Anfield cost us dearly, we should have won this again.

Squad - so many world class players but an average team. Someone help me?!

Transfers - more selling of second-teamers for huge profits is always good. Got a couple of big money signings on the way.

Finances - still on the rise but will take a hit next year.

Season Awards

Jack Wilshere won the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year.

Chamberlain, Wilshere and Perevertailo were all named in the PFA Team of the Year, with Halliday, Filipovic and Howley on the bench.

Wilshere was named the club's Player of the Year for the first time.

This was the Team of the Year for the club which seems more or less right, apart from perhaps Oxlade-Chambo.

The Historical Team - just Guadagno inducted. Hilarious that Jack Wilshere is the highest scorer in the time I've managed the club.

Career Summary

[u]Season      League       FA Cup     League Cup       Europe                 Other[/u]

2012/13     6th          5th Round  3rd Round        Champions' League QF   Nothing.
2013/14     3rd          4th Round  4th Round        None                   Nothing.
2014/15     2nd          5th Round  4th Round        Champions' League Groups, EUROPA LEAGUE WINNERS.
2015/16     5th          5th Round  4th Round        Champions' League 1st Knockout Round
2016/17     2nd          3rd Round  Winners!         Europa League 1st Knockout Round
2017/18     7th          6th Round  4th Round        Champions' League 1st Knockout Round
2018/19     3rd          Winners    3rd Round        None                   Nothing.
2019/20     2nd          Runners-Up 3rd Round        Champions' League Runners-Up.
2020/21     4th          6th Round  Quarter Final    Champions' League Semi-Final, SUPER CUP WINNERS, WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS.
2021/22     3rd          Semi Final Semi Final       Champions' League Semi-Final.

Records Broken

Fastest Goal: 17 seconds - Jack Wilshere v Aston Villa (H), 14th August.

Highest Transfer Income: £129m - despite no genuine first-teamers leaving!

Arsenal's Guatemalans:

Bautista, Guerra and De Leon remain the main ones here. Melgar should be ready soon too.

Guatemala

Lost in the semi-final of the Gold Cup to Costa Rica and didn't play much during the season, with friendlies against St Vincent & The Grednadines (3-0 win), US Virgin Islands (3-0 win) and Cuba (2-1 Win) before Christmas and just one more in March, a 3-0 win over Puerto Rico. After a nose-dive last season, their ranking is moving gradually back to where it was 2 years ago.

I've been away for a while, great to see this still going strong! I haven't been able to pull myself away from FM12 so I'm still going with Barca and Liechtenstein. No international job available due to there not being enough players in the DB but they are now up to the dizzying heights of 85th in the world rankings thanks to my academy!

Hi! I was thinking about trying this challenge, but I have a couple of questions.

There are several countries that aren't available in the beginning, such as East Timor, etc. Is it really because there are less than 100 players from that country? And if it is so, if the number of players increase does it become possible to manage these countries?

Hi! I was thinking about trying this challenge, but I have a couple of questions.

There are several countries that aren't available in the beginning, such as East Timor, etc. Is it really because there are less than 100 players from that country? And if it is so, if the number of players increase does it become possible to manage these countries?

Yes, it is because of the lack of players for that country - the game wont let you take over a Nation that don't have enough players, in the same way as it won't let you stay in charge of a club no longer in a playable division.

In theory, it should be possible to increase the number of players to that point, but chances are you'll only ever get one or two players through your academy per year and the rate of retirement would also most likely be at a similar rate, meaning the number never really goes up.

Thanks for the reply.

You are right, the number of players of a country will probably never have a big increase. Maybe if I leave a staff member of that nationality in every club I go to (and change clubs a lot :) ) increases the odds of new players, but I don't think it would increase the numbers that much. It's a shame. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Never saw this thread before I started my career. I have a quite similar career goal in my career. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/326100-FM13-The-Limboto-Limbo

I find it quite hard to get anywhere with my youth since the ones that are generated from my chosen country are rubbish. I'm in 2028 and only 2 have been generated. Mind you, my manager is from East Timor and I started with Sunday League experience and I also started in Indonesia. Currently managing AS Roma but still not much talented youth created through my Roma academy.

Is the chosen nation of importance for the generation of youth? Manager reputation? Club reputation?

Had fun reading through this thread. Might try this challenge soon.

Never saw this thread before I started my career. I have a quite similar career goal in my career. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/326100-FM13-The-Limboto-Limbo

I find it quite hard to get anywhere with my youth since the ones that are generated from my chosen country are rubbish. I'm in 2028 and only 2 have been generated. Mind you, my manager is from East Timor and I started with Sunday League experience and I also started in Indonesia. Currently managing AS Roma but still not much talented youth created through my Roma academy.

Is the chosen nation of importance for the generation of youth? Manager reputation? Club reputation?

Apparently International Experience helps, and I dunno if the nation matters.

If there are members of staff with the team of other nationalities then there is a higher chance of getting same nationalities. The quality of regens will depend not only on club levels of recruitment and youth facilities but also the world ranking of that nation has an impact on the quality also.

Arsenal_FC.svg

GreyedOutMan - Arsenal/Guatemala - 2022/23

This season took me about 2 months to play, partly because of work but also partly because the whole game is starting to annoy me. It's getting so samey. I'm starting to think this challenge is just a bit too far-fetched, I'm afraid, and because of the need to blood Guats, my team is really stagnating, and we tend to just let the better teams win without putting up much of a fight.

League Table - back-to-back wins at the end of the season against rivals for 4th place, Newcastle, and Spurs, secured Champions' League football again for next year. Just.

League Positions Graph - almost let it slip right at the end, but we deserved it for the performance through the season.

Capital One Cup - one of many heavy defeats to the big English teams this year. This needs addressing.

FA Cup - sligtly unlucky at Anfield.

UEFA Champions League - a really poor way to miss out on a Champions' League Final.

Squad - defence saves us, really. Need to start getting more goals. A change of formation might be forthcoming.

Transfers - two big-name defensive signings. No big-name sales.

Finances - the anticipated drop in finances due to a couple of big name signings this year, but given that investment, it's still healthy. And better still, the board cleared my debts so next year it will look much healthier.

Season Awards

Kevin Halliday was named the club's Player of the Year.

This was the Team of the Year for the club.

The Historical Team - no new inductees, but very odd that Anton Carter is the starting striker now. He's barely played there.

Career Summary

[u]Season      League       FA Cup     League Cup       Europe                 Other[/u]

2012/13     6th          5th Round  3rd Round        Champions' League QF   Nothing.
2013/14     3rd          4th Round  4th Round        None                   Nothing.
2014/15     2nd          5th Round  4th Round        Champions' League Groups, EUROPA LEAGUE WINNERS.
2015/16     5th          5th Round  4th Round        Champions' League 1st Knockout Round
2016/17     2nd          3rd Round  Winners!         Europa League 1st Knockout Round
2017/18     7th          6th Round  4th Round        Champions' League 1st Knockout Round
2018/19     3rd          Winners    3rd Round        None                   Nothing.
2019/20     2nd          Runners-Up 3rd Round        CHAMPIONS' LEAGUE WINNERS!!!
2020/21     4th          6th Round  Quarter Final    Champions' League Semi-Final, SUPER CUP WINNERS!!! WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS!!!
2021/22     3rd          Semi Final Semi Final       Champions' League Semi-Final.
2022/23     4th          6th Round  4th Round        Champions' League Semi-Final.

Records Broken

Highest Average Attendance: 59,535

Highest Transfer Fee Paid: £40m for Emmanuel Carvalho from Liverpool.

Arsenal's Guatemalans:

Forgot to screenshot these, but De Leon had a good season with 17 goals, Bautista improved although he hasn't hit the heights of a few seasons ago.

Guatemala

I'm currently England manager so have been focussing on them but Guatemala made it to the quarter-finals of the Gold Cup, including a big win over the USA but their ranking has stagnated, it always dips during the season and ends up at the same place it started. Bautista and De Leon are on the subs bench for their all-time best XI.

Another Guatemala boss leaves, but some guy called Bobby Tally got the job ahead of me. What more can i do, I won the Champions League, have managed two national teams including England....what do they want from me?!

It seems strange that they wouldn't consider you. There must be something to do with managers rep and world rankings whether they think they cant afford you. Not sure whether to change the challenge so you can manage your nation from the start along with your club. Would need to see what others thought of this as it might generate more interest in the challenge.

It seems strange that they wouldn't consider you. There must be something to do with managers rep and world rankings whether they think they cant afford you. Not sure whether to change the challenge so you can manage your nation from the start along with your club. Would need to see what others thought of this as it might generate more interest in the challenge.

If you can manage your nation from the start i might be tempted back in ...

What about if you've already started? Should I just make a new manager and take over as Guatemala?

You could try one thing 1st. Make sure you save the game 1st then resign from whatever national job your in charge of, add a new manager as Guatemala Boss then retire him so the job is now vacant and apply with your current manager and see if you get the job. Let me know how you get on.

To anyone who's managing their chosen national side already - How are you finding it when it comes to calling up the players with dual nationality? Are players turning you down in favour of trying to get called up to the better nation?

To anyone who's managing their chosen national side already - How are you finding it when it comes to calling up the players with dual nationality? Are players turning you down in favour of trying to get called up to the better nation?

When I played as Panama on FM12 players with dual nationality refused the call-up until the Gold Cup then they accepted, so maybe you need to play in a tournament or possibly get the nation ranking up. Its a bit of a catch 22, to improve the ranking you need the better players but to get the better players you need to improve the ranking

CreweFC_zpsee8abe28.jpg

Palestine_zps8ba74685.jpg

Crewe Alexandra F.C and Palestine

Manager: Suker Jawhariyyeh. Profile|Info.

The Crewe Squad.

CreweStadium_zpse48d2b44.jpg

Key Players;

Max Clayton, Ryan Colclough and Luke Murphy.

Aims;

1) Survival in League 1 - It's a jump up from League 2 promotion last season so i will hope to keep us up and see what we can do.

2) Bring in Palestinian Coaches.

3) Check out potential Palestinian Players and maybe bring in 1 or 2.

Palestine;

A few players;

Daniel Mustaf, Alexis Norambuena and Omar Jarun.

Coming up first for Palestine is the Challenge Cup. - Decent draw and i hope to at the very least qualify from the Group.

Finding it a bit hard, have an Indian right back who could be the best player they're ever produced but he has dual nationality with Denmark and he won't accept a call up :/ but managed to call up a few dual nationality players thankfully.

I haven't managed to call up anyone with Duel Nationality of a higher rated National side than ours yet, but hopefully tournaments will help as i have 2 i would like to call up (a German and Hungarian). Hopefully with the few Asian tournaments this will help me (thats why i picked an Asian side).

Thanks for the responses guys, sounds like it's just a case of keep calling people up until they accept but tournaments are an added bonus to helps way the choice.

Will have to see how I get on, still trying to decide which nation to choose but think that I'm set on managing in Holland due to thier more relaxed player rules. Although somewhere with a couple of cup competitions might be useful for added player development.

tkAi8vX.png

Ajax/Luxembourg - jimbowmanuk

Say hello to Claude Weschler, the newly appointed manager of both Ajax and Luxembourg. The nations 2nd highest all-time goal scorer will be hopeful of improving his nations fortunes using the Ajax youth academy as a great tool to bring through some highly rated Luxembourgers.

I used this Name Generator to get my alter-egos name

I have been playing this for 2 seasons now. French league with Guingamp whom I got into the French league then changed to Lyon and nationality of Tahiti

Think I might start again though as I can never get the national side job

Thinking of Germany/Afghanistan

I have been playing this for 2 seasons now. French league with Guingamp whom I got into the French league then changed to Lyon and nationality of Tahiti

Think I might start again though as I can never get the national side job

Thinking of Germany/Afghanistan

You may have to rethink Afghanistan as you can't manage them from the start. I've put a y beside all teams you can manage from the start of the game in the OP

You may have to rethink Afghanistan as you can't manage them from the start. I've put a y beside all teams you can manage from the start of the game in the OP

Yeh cheers I realised that last night

have Chosen FC Kaiserslautern/Tajikistan and have started as manager of both.

Will be a lot of work, but I think worth it

I chose Kaiserslautern after good memories from the Australian team playing there in 2006 with a great win over Japan and then our disgusting loss to Italy in the round of 16 was there too

Quick question, I'm Malaga/India and every year I've had 5-7 actual youth candidates (All Spanish) and then when I click on the youth candidate team I have a bunch of greyed out players (all Spanish with the occasional Indian). Is it normal to have so few youth candidates? Cause this is the only save its happened on, every other save I'll get a team full of youth candidates and no greyed out players.

Quick question, I'm Malaga/India and every year I've had 5-7 actual youth candidates (All Spanish) and then when I click on the youth candidate team I have a bunch of greyed out players (all Spanish with the occasional Indian). Is it normal to have so few youth candidates? Cause this is the only save its happened on, every other save I'll get a team full of youth candidates and no greyed out players.
I've has greyed out players in the past and its usually due to the youth team having too many in the squad before the intake, one solution is to either promote youth players to another squad or fire them before the intake so that you can get a full quota from the intake.

I've found they suddenly become insterested a bit more near a major competition. I'm managing Libya and Boca Juniors and I had a great 16yo regen GK come through. He refused at every callup of the national side. But when I am about to start the African Nations Cup, he suddenly accepts and is now part of the squad.

On a side note, none of my Libyan/Argentinian regens are too good at the moment.

Just to clarify, do you only load the league you are playing in, and the players from the nation you intend to manage? That's the impression I got from the opening post, I just wanted to get it right to ensure I hadn't got confused. Thanks.

Crewe Alexandra F.C - Season 2012/13;

CreweFC_zpsee8abe28.jpg

The Squad - Pretty solid, managed to play alot of youngsters. Trialled every Unemployed Palestinian player but non looked better than Conference class so left them. - Best XI

League Table - A much better season than i was expecting, we came very close to a playoff spot and even had a chance going into the final game of the season but we could only draw which saw us fail. But the season overall was a huge success.

Transfers - Brought in Legend Jari Litmanen mainly to help tutor the Youth Prospects but he became a very important player, so much so that he is now signed for a 2nd season.

Key Players;

Young Starlet - Max Clayton.

Captain Fantastic - Luke Murphy.

Top Scorer - Lauri Dalla Valle.

Player of Season - Matt Tootle.

Youth Candidates;

I thought i had saved the screen of the Youth Candidates, but it turns out i hadn't... Well heres a look at my U18's Squad instead.

Byron Howe - Has already made a few appearances, could be a first team regular within a couple of Seasons.

Russell Moores - Has the potential to become a Premiership player in the future, scored on his debut.

Youth of Palestine;

One lad came through this years class, Ali Nasser - Coaches Opinion.

Season      League       FA Cup     League Cup    Johnstones Paint   Other

2012/13    League 1      2nd rd.    2nd rd.          2nd rd.        Just missed Playoffs.

Palestine National Team;

Palestine_zps8ba74685.jpg

Challenge Cup Final.

Challenge Cup Top Scorer: Fahed Attal

Fixtures 1 and 2.

West Asian Tournament; - Failed to get out the group stage.

Just to clarify, do you only load the league you are playing in, and the players from the nation you intend to manage? That's the impression I got from the opening post, I just wanted to get it right to ensure I hadn't got confused. Thanks.

As long as you Load all Players from your chosen Nation, everything else isn't really important.

Archived