FM12 - Chelsea F.C. Thread - A Mix of Youth and Experience

William Hall

This game is really p***ing me off, The F***ing team just can not score, Torres just shoots wide from 6 yards or straight at the goalkeeper and everyone else just does the same. Also now they can't even keep the ball and past it. I don't know I think I should go back to the old game.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This game is really p***ing me off, The F***ing team just can not score, Torres just shoots wide from 6 yards or straight at the goalkeeper and everyone else just does the same. Also now they can't even keep the ball and past it. I don't know I think I should go back to the old game.

Lol most people are complaining this version is a lot easier and score goals easily. I myself find it the same. Just a bad patch of form like IRL?

Evening lads, Hopefully one of you guys is about.

How come when I loaded my chelsea save with large database, Kevin De Bruyne isnt in it?

Help

I know, I had the same problem. Belgium league has to be on view or playable. Stupid isnt it!

I dont have the Belgium League loaded or viewable and i bought De Bruyne in the first window?

August Update

Premiership

Fulham 1 - 2 Chelsea

Damien Duff 24'

Lampard 79'

Mata 84'

Chelsea 4 - 0 Wolves

Torres 4', 13', 57'

Berra OG 8'

Tottenham 0 - 2 Chelsea

Anelka 38'

Terry 64'

A shaky start with a narrow win at Fulham, however the Spurs and Wolves results I was very pleased with. My team are very much still getting used to tactics and the squad is still gelling. However, I'm sitting top of the league so I consider it a good month.

Finished the first season with 2 runners up medals and a League Title. Lost to Fulham 2-1 in the League Cup Final, Man United in the FA Cup 5th round replay and 2-1 to Barcelona in the Champions League Final :(

Goin into the second season Anelka an Bosingwa left on frees, i tied Drogs down for another year and sold Benayoun for 2.5m, Turnbull rejected Liverpool and nobody else wants him :/. So far ive brung in 1 regen for 4m.

How does everyone get the best out of Lukaku?

September Update

Premiership

Chelsea 4 - 1 Man United

Torres 53', 65', pen 90+1'

Anelka 88

Rooney 55'

Champions League

Basel 0 - 4 Chelsea

Torres 6', 77'

Lampard 9', pen 22'

Premiership

Chelsea 3 - 1 Wigan

Torres 2'

Terry 47'

Eden Hazard 85'

Mohammed Diame 44'

Stoke 1 - 5 Chelsea

Etherington 33'

Terry 2', 19'

Lampard pen 5'

Hazard 28'

Lukaku 34'

Newcastle 1 - 1 Chelsea

Demba Ba 45+6' (ridiculous)

Lukaku 68'

Champions League

Chelsea 3 - 0 Dinamo

Anelka 27'

Mikel 42'

Lampard 78'

So, a busy month which I thought went well winning all games bar the draw away to newcastle. I was unhappy with the Newcastle draw as they scored in the 6th minute of added time at half time when there was only meant to be 3 minutes, but hey, these things happen. Other than that, I am scoring enough goals but want to try and cut out conceding silly goals. :thup:

Hey guys, I just started playing the demo, but check out my custom tactic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58758892@N03/6306315823/

Defence:

Ashley Cole : Fullback - Support, bombs up the flank to give width

Terry: CB - Defend

Luiz: CB - Defend (kind of disappointed hes not actually suited to being a ball player)

Ivanovic: RB - Defend, Ivanovic stays back and keeps the defence tight to compensate for Cole going forward

Midfield:

Mikel: Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend - Screens the back four and distributes the ball - I set his closing down slider slightly lower in order to make him sit in front of the back four at all times

Ramires / Maggio : Wide Midfielder - Support - I turn his closing down sliding almost all the way up and turn down long shots. Ramires can cover the whole flank by himself with his energy and this leaves tons of space for Torres to run into

Hamsik / Lampard : Central Midfielder - Attack - I turn Runs from Deep to Often obviously, let him roam, and set him as the playmaker. Hamsik is the perfect replacement for Lampard

Mata : Advanced Playmaker - Attack - I give him permission to roam as well

Strikers:

Torres / Doumbia : Advanced Forward - Torres gets tons of space to dribble and run since I overload the left flank

Drogba / Lukaku : Target Man - Support, I turn run with ball and through balls to sometimes. I additionally set Drogs as the target man with supply to head.

Lastly, the most important part is I focus passing down the left flank. This is pretty similar to what Chelsea actually do. In fact, the whole tactic was meant to recreate Chelsea's style of play. I just had to fit Torres and Drogba together though, and there were some changes there. This tactic is actually really effective and makes the most use out of Ramires who actually can cover a whole side of the pitch by himself. I played United Away and was unlucky to draw with Torres/Drogba missing / Da Gear saving 4 one on ones. I beat Arsenal at home 4-0 with ease.

Playing a 4-3-3, and seeing some great results and some encouraging performances from a few. Ramires has probably been my best performer, playing box-to-box at the MRC position. He's coming off a 9.0 man of the match rating against Liverpool where he scored an awesome solo effort to start off the 3-0 rout.

After 9 games - PL, league cup & Champion's league - we've only conceded one goal...to Swansea, which helped them draw with us at Stamford Bridge. Of course, the goal came when Turnbull was filling in for an injured Cech and coughed up a cross. But otherwise, we've been perfect. Our biggest test yet is next when we head to the Emirates.

I've only brought in Vrsaljko and Hamsik, and shipped out Malouda & Kalou (for only 4m pounds).

Ok am getting frustrated, I am sure it can't be just a bad run because they still can't hit a barn door with a barge poll. the shooting of the players is a night mare and then nottingham forest have two shots from 40 yards and both go in when mine from 5 yards hit the goalkeeper, the post or goes wide

Ok am getting frustrated, I am sure it can't be just a bad run because they still can't hit a barn door with a barge poll. the shooting of the players is a night mare and then nottingham forest have two shots from 40 yards and both go in when mine from 5 yards hit the goalkeeper, the post or goes wide

I had a few of those problems at the start of the season, try lowering your tempo a little, it could be players are rushing their chances, see if that works, it did for me.

Everybody's saves seem to be going great, really nice to see the thread so lively. Anybody had any success with Lucas Piazon after his arrival in January?

October Update

Premiership

Chelsea 0 - 2 West Brom

Brunt 7'

Odemwingie 76'

Poor, poor performance.

Blackburn 1 - 2 Chelsea

Vukcevic 78'

Olsson OG 13'

Terry 68'

Mata sent off

Champions League

Chelsea 2 - 0 SLB

Terry 5'

Mata 40'

Premiership

Norwich 0 - 4 Chelsea

Sturridge 40'

Terry 43', 69'

Douglas Costa 56'

League Cup 4th Round

West Ham 0 - 2 Chelsea

Mata 16'

Lukaku pen 45+2

Premiership

Chelsea 1 - 0 Everton

Tim howard OG 61'

A good month obviously apart from the loss to West Brom. I'll just put that down to complacency but the team seem to have recovered with a few good wins.

I dont have the Belgium League loaded or viewable and i bought De Bruyne in the first window?

Shouldn't be able to buy De Bruyne in the first window as he's injured. The first chance to sign him is in January

I sgined him on the 30th of August, he still had 2-3 weeks of his injury left but he passed the medical and signed.

J.T you dont need the Belgian leagues loaded, are you using a large database?

Lucky u! I dont have the Belgian leagues loaded and have a large database but isnt on mine either!

End Of Pre-Season (August)

Transfers In

M.Niang - 6Mil (2Mil up front, 4Mil over 48 months)

Emre Can - 1.5Mil

Saul – 1.5Mil

L.Nangis - 2Mil

D.Rugani - 1.3Mil

L.Andersen - 750k

R.Kishna - 1.1Mil

Ganso - 22.5Mil (12.5Mil up front, 10Mil over 48 months)

C.Azpilicueta - 12.5Mil (5Mil up front, 7.5Mil over 48 months)

S.Bocchetti - 15Mil (7.5Mil up front, 7.5Mil over 48 months)

L.Damiao - 20Mil (10Mil up front, 10Mil over 48 months) – Regret deeply signing him, Impulse. 

K.De.Bruyne - 5Mil

E.Hazard - 45Mil (15Mil up front, 30Mil over 48 months)

Total: 134Mil – (As you can see, I have spent big trying to get a lot of youth into the squad in the hope I don’t have to spend big again over the course of the next few season’s.

Transfers Out

N.Anelka - 4.8Mil

Hilario - 1Mil

D.Drogba - 15Mil

P.Ferreira - 1.1Mil

Alex - 14.25Mil

F.Malouda - 15Mil

J.Bosingwa - 3Mil

+ 7 Players out on loan over the course of the season including J.McEachran for experience.

Total: 54Mil (A lot over 48 months to balance out my transfer’s in with instalments).

Pre Season Results

Pre-season was ok. 3 Wins – 3 Draws – 2 Loses. The 2 loses coming at the very end of pre-season. Not the best way to finish but to be expected when trying to blend in new players with different formations.

Premiership

Fulham 2 -1 Chelsea

Dempsey 16’

Murphy 48’

Torres 13’

Premiership

Chelsea 4 - 0 Man City

Ganso 6’

Torres 24’

Kalou 26’

Terry 55’

Premiership

Swansea 1 - 3 Chelsea

Alexe 13’

Torres 11’ 50’

Meireles 43’

Overall

Disappointing start to the season, But have to be please with such a dominant performance against Man City. Will see how my new signings do over the course of the season.

I sgined him on the 30th of August, he still had 2-3 weeks of his injury left but he passed the medical and signed.

J.T you dont need the Belgian leagues loaded, are you using a large database?

I don't have the Belgian leagues loaded and yes I am using a large database, he isn't there :(

Hi all, glad to see so many people playing as Chelsea!

Here are the transfers i made:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650996245740541549/D3AA9E88E551AEBB9868FC7BEB65FD017293C7AE/

Not too many coming in but i like using the current squad as much as possible in the first season. Had to get rid of Kalou though and as Anelka was on his way at the end of the season anyway, i thought that i might as well get some money for him.

Now then, on to the season so far:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650996245740539959/0154ECB600F56338D3161F1C9D2F0255D742C16B/

As you can see a reasonable start with plenty of goals from Torres and a fantastic 4 from Lukaku and 1 from Chalobah on their debuts! I have to say i'm not happy with the Champions League at the moment. Two defeats and i'm bottom of the group :mad:. I'm not quite sure what's happened but the team doesn't seem to want to play when European nights come around. Hopefully i'll be able to sort it out and scrape through the group. I have a feeling i'll be sacked if i don't!

I have found Ramires is one of my best players so far. but i am only in october. playing him as a BWM in a 4-4-2 narrow diamond on the right (MCR). Mata too is a star at AMC with Treq role.

Lukaku seems to be doing great as a TM Attack- up front with Torres (poacher attack) instead of Drogba who cant shoot on target.

Sime Vrsaljko is great too. playing him at DL and very well since Ash broke his leg

September Update

Premiership

Chelsea 3 - 1 Norwich

Damiao 41’ 58’ pen 88’

Morison 74’

Champions League

Chelsea 5 – 2 Zenit

Lampard 7’ 20’

Criscito o.g 16’

Torres 25’

Sturridge 90+2’

Rosina 41’

Kerzhakov 83’

League Cup

Chelsea 2 – 0 Everton

Torres 1’

Ramires 84’

Premiership

Chelsea 5 – 1 Sunderland

Ganso 21’ 25’ pen 37’

Torres 35’

Ramires 84’

Lampard missed pen 44’

Turner 59’

Kayal sent off 50’

Champions League

Otelul 0 – 5 Chelsea

Lampard pen 29’

Damiao 37’ 44’

Terry 56’

Ganso 61’

Premiership

Bolton 3 – 3 Chelsea

Gardner 9’

K.Davies 13’

M.Davies 24’

Tuncay sent off 31’

Torres 16’ 32’ 70’

Overall

Pleased with how the month went. Some high scoring games. A little disappointed with the 3-3 draw at the end, But Bolton is a hard place to travel after Europe. Highlight of the month would have to be Ganso scoring 4 goals in 6 games from midfield. And Torres has hit the goal trail with 5 goals in the 4 games he played.

Oh also forgot to say, Meireles is out for 3 months with a broken foot in training. . . Grrrrrrrr A.Cole over aggressive.

November Update

screenshot20111103at172.png

A great month, conceding just 1 goal, which I am very pleased about. Only downside is the draw to Arsenal, however this was away at the Emirates so can't be too unhappy with it. Torres has also been in great form scoring 5 goals this month. As a team we have scored 17 in 5 matches which is pleasing. :thup:

Well, I'm into January now but I didn't get the chance to do a December update so here it is:

December Update

Premier League

Chelsea 2 - 0 West Brom

Sturridge 23', 66'

I love Danny. His attributes haven't progressed at all which is weird, might change his training (his dribbling has actually gotten worse which is disappointing) but his performances have been fantastic, so I don't care really.

Champions League

Olympiakos 0 - 3 Chelsea

Mata 9'

Muniain 29'

Lukaku 46'

We were already through, so a good chance to rest players, and we did very well.

Premier League

Bolton 1 - 1 Chelsea

Donovan 9'

N'Gog 81'

Really disappointed we couldn't hold out here, not good enough. And N'gog should never be allowed to score against anyone, that's as bas as when Heskey scored against me

Liverpool 2 - 2 Chelsea

Carroll 30'

Torres 34'

Lampard pen 37'

Malouda 67'

Disappointed at throwing away the lead again, but a decent performance, Torres against his old club equalised by Malouda scoring against me.

Chelsea 3 - 0 Tottenham

Seydou Keita OG 32'

Sturridge 55'

Lampard 60'

A fantastic win as Spurs were in second, we really dominated, Freidel was man of the match or we would've had more.

Chelsea 3 - 1 QPR

Harmeet Singh 6'

Sturridge 14'

Torres 34'

Muniain 61'

A goal each for the front 3, shame about conceding, but Danny is keeping up his fantastic run of form.

Newcastle 0 - 3 Chelsea

Anelka 61', 87'

Alex 70'

Really pleased with this win, as I rested most of the team because we had Man Utd in just 2 days time.

Conclusions

Disappointed with the number of goals we conceded this month, before that we had a really good record at the back, but we're still unbeaten in the league, we're top by 1 point from Arsenal having played the same number of games, we've got 14 wins and 6 draws so far. Danny has had a storming season so far, I hope it continues, and Muniain is getting a few goals now too, he'll be a real superstar in the future I'm sure.

Only been playing very briefly, but I thought I'd give a quick idea of my squad analysis and see if you guys agree.

Goalkeeper

No need to do much here, except get Hilario out. Cech is one of strongest players in the team, and not close to an age where you need to think about replacement. Courtois has good potential and will come back next season as back-up/rotation.

Left-back

A.Cole is again one of the strongest players in the team. Ryan Betrand can be used as a back-up, and given Cole's consistency and injury-record, the lack of an experience back-up really shouldn't be a problem. He's getting on a bit, so one eye should be kept on a replacement (if Bertrand/van Aanhold doesn't end up being up to it). However other areas of the squad are the priority in season 1, and there's not much LB talent out there.

Centre-back

No problems for season 1, with Luiz and Terry able to do a good job. Alex is a capable back-up. Ivanovic isn't a natural here. Terry is getting on a bit, and Luiz is good but not amazing so going for a young, good CB (Subotic?) would be good plan if there's one available. If you do buy one, selling Alex is probably a good move.

Right back

Definitely a weak link, because Bosingwa isn't great at the back (true to reality) and Ivanovic is (IMO) underrated here considering his performances at RB under Hiddink that got him into the EPL team of the season. I wouldn't buy anyone here because there's not a lot of talent available. Van der Wiel can be bought for around £12m, but his potential (according to my scouts) is nothing special. Would be better to tie Bosingwa down to a longer contract, then sell him next season (when he'll be more valuable) and have another look for any RB talent.

Central Midfield

Essien is a great player, but he will never play as such - because of his injury and subsequent decline in stats. Lampard is old, but still very capable. Ramires and Meireles are both very average. Mikel is good, but not a natural in CM, so it depends if you play with a CDM or like me with a 4-2-3-1. I would definitely go for Hamsik - a natural replacement for Lampard. Young and very talented. It would leave you very open at the back to play Lampard and Hamsik as your two CMs, so I would rotate them, and play Ramires/Mikel as the other (much more defensive minded) CM. You could perhaps play both Hamsik and Lampard against weaker opposition or when chasing the game, but they are fairly similar players. If you have money left over, it would be worth considering a defensive minded CM (m'vila?) but given how many CMs you have, it would force you to leave a lot of players out so I would sell Ramires or Mikel if you did this. Romeu is not close to being ready for the first team (contrary to reality).

Wingers

Mata is best at CAM, so I would play him there. On the wing then, we are quite short of options, but luckily there is a lot of talent out there. Malouda is average, I would sell him. Sturridge is not a winger, and not yet good enough for the first team (contrary to reality). Anelka is too not a winger, and I would also sell him. I would bring in Neymar, Hulk and Gotze. This would be very expensive, but all three are fantastic players who would not need replacing for 10 years. If you split your fees over 48 months, and make use of reduced wage bill through player sales. Hulk as RAM, Neymar and Gotze at LAM.

CAM

Mata's position. I would also look at Ganso from Santos. Available for less than the wingers above, and as much of a talent. Could rotate with Mata. Again, Ganso is one of the best young players on the game, and IMO it's always worth paying to get the best. Could be a staple of the Chelsea side for 10 years also.

Striker

Sell Drogba. His wages are very high, and there's not much point having him and Torres (unless you play a two-striker formation) - and he's much older than Torres. You then have Neymar as a back-up to Torres. Tevez is available apparently for £18.5m if you play it right. A very tempting bargain, but not a priority. Lukaku can go out on loan to get first-team experience, or you can keep him and give him the odd game. There are a lot of other great strikers available, but with Torres only 27 and Neymar also in the squad, I wouldn't splash the cash anywhere else.

Before anyone says I'm proposing buying a whole new team - I'm not. I would just sell all the fringe players. My first team for 11/12 would still have 9 original Chelsea players: Cech, A.Cole, Terry, Luiz, Ivanovic, Lampard, Ramires/Mikel, Mata, Torres.

Interesting set up Seamus, looking forward to seeing how you get on.

January Update

Premier League

Man Utd 1 - 1 Chelsea

Nani 43'

Torres 48'

Tough match, we got a draw which isn't a bad result.

FA CUp 3rd Round

Chesterfield 1 - 4 Chelsea

Lucas Andersen 36'

Muniain 52', 64'

Mark Randall 67'

Adam Campbell 74'

A very young team with a pretty pleasing performance, some errors at the back, but overall pretty good.

League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

West Brom 1 - 1 Chelsea

Ramires 51'

Scharner 84'

Not the best result but it'll do to take back to the bridge.

Premier League

Chelsea 2 - 1 Stoke

Crouch 2'

Torres 4'

Lampard 34'

Should've scored a lot more goals in this one, 67% possession, 40 shots but only 11 on target. Still, a win's a win

Fulham 1 - 3 Chelsea

Aaron Hughes OG 44'

Zamora 46'

Mata 49'

John Terry 64'

Decent away win, again annoyed at conceding when we were by far the better team, but I think it's a problem that's going to take a long term solution.

League Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg

Chelsea 4 - 1 West Brom

Alex 43'

Tamas OG 48'

Tchoyi 52'

Lukaku 73'

Lucas Andersen 78'

A good result from a pretty young team

FA Cup 4th Round

Birmingham 0 - 2 Chelsea

Muniain 42', 90+2'

Great performance from Muniain, he could've had more goals and he set up a number of chances that sadly Lukaku squandered.

Premier League

Chelsea 4 - 0 Wolves

Torres 4', 18', 72'

Donovan 31'

Great hat trick from Nando, a very good performance from the team.

Conclusions and Transfers

A decent enough month, still unbeaten in the league, still top now by 7 points but Arsenal have a game in hand. My next game, however, is the Gooners at the Bridge, a real 6 pointer in the title race. Sadly Danny's streak of goals dried up, but he still had a good month, Muniain was brilliant and is pushing for a starting place in the next game right now.

Transfers were interesting here, with the other teams around me spending big. Arsenal brought in Hamsik, Man City got Modric and Man Utd went out and bought Hulk, all for £20m+ so I felt I had to do something. I tried to get Varane from Real but couldn't get him to budge this time, so I got Mbaye Niang in for £6m over 24 months, another great young striker prospect, he'll either push into the first team or be sold for profit in a few years. Next season should be really interesting after those purchases from the other teams, if they strengthen in the summer too, then next year will be really tough. I look forward to it.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4231/resultsupto229.png

so this is my season so far no major signings made, barkley signed for the youth team to deveolope him de bruyne coming in jan but the plan is to loan him straight out to a english team, cahill,sordell coming at end of season and kovacic coming at end of season 2. im looking to change the way we play and deveolope my youth to that style got them all focus training on technique,passing and first touch rotating every three months it is also my main requirement for any signing i make they must start with good stats in all three if they are young i.e 16 then standards of those will less because of extra time to deveolope them. the plan is to be able to play short and controled and long direct play to accomodate all challenges a match may throw

Play him the right way. Get him striking partner up front. Teach him to play one-twos asap as well.

jrxyeg.png'

Also highly recommend Douglas Costa as a signing for the fist season. Cost me £12~ and consistent high performances. I play him as an AML but he does well at AMC/MC and AMR as well. Assist is not from any corner exploits(I don't use it), in any case he only has 11 in corner ability. He has 18 in free kick with PPM of "Tries long range free kick" - he manages some incredible goals. "Plays one-twos" as well.

2qkv40w.png

Yeah agree with Douglas Costa. use him as a Treq at AMC but is back up to Mata. I dont play wingers and mata is an absolute star. But when he gets his chance he scores, some stunning free kicks too. good signing.

Well I am playing Torres as lone striker up front Poacher and he scores loads. He is even doing better than Aguero I bought in Jan window as he is better physically and headers. I am using our real life 433 formation.

torreso.png

Also agree about Douglas Costa. He is a beast and cost me 8m pounds at the start and now he has turned into 4* player for the team.

costa1.png

costa2.png

Coming to the end of season two:

Facing Barcelona again in the CL final. You may remember a few pages back my epic encounter with them in the first season. I can imagine clearly Sky montages to build up this epic awesome match up. Afterall, the first game was the most evenly balanced game in the world. A fitting match for a final. As always, I'll upload the .pkm and highlights.

Problems: Mata is injured, Aguero whom I got in Jan is injured but that is an issue for league only.

Finally decided to start a Chelsea save after stop-starting a wandering lower-league save. Anyway, down to business!

Transfers

• Transfers In
    • Daniele Rugani (Empoli) - £1.3m
      Lucas Anderson (AaB) - £1.5m
      Willian (Shaktar) - £8.75m
      Sime Vrsaljko (Dinamo) - £2.5m
      Douglas Costa (Shaktar) - £8.75m
      Sebastian Toro (Colo Colo) - £2.5m
      Total Spent - £25.5m

Transfers Out

• Nicolas Anelka (Real Madrid) - £8.25m
    Hilario (Porto) - £475k
    Jose Bosingwa (PSG) - £3.2m
    Florent Malouda (PSG) - £10.25m
    Jamal Blackman (Yeovil) - Loan
    Didier Drogba (Barcelona) - £12.5m
    Sebastian Toro (Vitesse) - Loan
    Billy Clifford (Blackpool) - £575k
    Ben Gordon (Coventry) - Loan
    Total Gained - £35m

Quite happy with most of the dealings I involved myself in and got exactly who I wanted and for as much as I was willing to spend on them. Overall a good transfer window. Only blotch for me was Bosingwa who I felt could have gone for a little bit more then £3.2m. However only PSG were interested (after multiple attempts) and they refused to spend more then his worth so I took it to get his wage off the bill. Both Rugani and Anderson have slotted into the u19's for the time being while they get tutored and adapt. I'll probably have them on the bench for the League Cup matches and bring them on in the later moments for a bit of game-time. Otherwise no real plans for them in the first season.

Team Line-up

• GK - Cech, Turnbull.
    DR - Ivanovic, Vrsaljko.
    DC - Terry, Alex, Luiz, Ivanovic.
    DL - Cole, Bertrand.
    DMC - Mikel, Romeu.
    MC - Lampard, Ramires, Meireles, McEachran.
    AMR - Willian, Costa, Kalou, Sturridge.
    AML - Mata, Costa, Kalou, Sturridge.
    ST - Torres, Lukaku, Sturridge.

Pretty standard 4-5-1 for away games alongside an offensive and narrow 4-2-3-1. In the 4-5-1 having Mata and Willian on either wing with Lampard and Ramires behind them is actually bringing out some good football however the real performances are coming from the 4-2-3-1 with Willian, Costa and Mata all playing behind Torres with Ramires and Mikel holding the midfield. They just seem to float between the lines and give Torres so much space to play in while laying off some brilliant through-balls.

As for the results I've achieved so far.

Pre-Season

• Vitesse 0-2 Chelsea (Lampard, Ramires)
    Dunfermline 0-4 Chelsea (Ramires, Kalou, Alex, Lukaku)
    Wolfsburg 1-0 Chelsea
    Recreativo 2-5 Chelsea (Torres (4), Mata)
    Beijing 0-5 Chelsea (Sturridge (3), Meireles, Lukaku)
    Hangzhou 0-6 Chelsea (Lampard, Alex, Willian, Ramires (2), Sturridge)

A decent pre-season. The game against Wolfsburg was the only "blight" on a good start. They played deep and very narrow meaning my 4-2-3-1 was in-effective and Mata just couldn't get into the game, switched it to a 4-5-1 and couldn't create any clear opportunities for my forwards. Should have ended as a draw but they hit me on the break in the 91'st minute to grab a winner (which included a mistake from Luiz to gift the ball to their forward with an open goal). The game against Recreativo was mostly me playing a very very high defensive line and being hit by the over-the-top long ball with Terry and Alex on the field. The moment I brought Luiz on with his pace they couldn't create another opening and we strolled to the win.

Season so Far

• Swansea 0-4 Chelsea (Alan Tate o.g, Mata, Terry, Torres)
    Chelsea 4-0 Stoke (Terry, Lampard (2), Torres)
    Fulham 0-4 Chelsea (Terry, Willian (2), Torres)

Going into the first match of the season I was a little pre-emptive of my high defensive line against the speed demons in the Swansea team, however it didn't matter as we walked to a solid win with a very good defensive display by Ivanovic to quiet Sinclair on his return to the Bridge. Second match against Stoke and it was a non-contest as we scored 3 goals within the opening 15 minutes with Torres stretching his legs in the final 10 mins to grab the fourth in a very good attacking display. Onto the third match and we held a very strong opening barrage from Fulham at bay (they have 3 CCC's within 10 mins) before taking our chance from another corner for Terry to score his third of the season (the far post seems to be the "bug" this year). Willian then showed his class as he ran past 3 players to score his first and then sent in a wonder shot from 25 yards into the top corner. Again Torres used his pace to beat the defence and grab another goal in the final 10 minutes.

The only other thing to note is that I seem to like the 4-0 scoreline! I'll update again at the halfway point if I feel up to it! ;)

Should try Agüero and Torres up front, they make a beautiful partnership :D.

Any advice how to get better english youth players? I've had Abrahimovic upgrade the youth network several times yet no trial players are good enough to stay so I have to do the Arsene Wenger tactic and steal em around the world. After 3 premier league and champions league titles in a row I want a new challenge and make Chelsea more of an english team with players from own academy but meh they're all 1~stars.

Finding a formation that actually fits the team in real life is tricky, particularly with Mata as he mixes it up on the left or centre but playing him as an Inside Forward (AML) or AMC that moves into the flanks doesn't really replicate it.

Conceeding goals is also too difficult, the defence seems so much more organised on the game!

Anyway, I need a right back for the future, and I'll likely keep pursuing Alvaro Pereira for left back as a long-term replacement for Cole.

Is it just me, or is a defensive midfielder like M'Vila a real pressing need for this squad? Mikel just doesn't cut it IMO.

Archived