Football Manager Handheld + Android

• SI Staff
Seems a totally reasonable price to me. Havent downloaded it yet, need to clear considerable space from my Desire, hmm tough choices ahead.

If you have an SD Card then the game will install the data to that by default - it will only install to the internal memory if you don't have one plugged in or the one available doesn't have sufficient space for the installation.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you not do the UI to scale to any resolution, as you do on the desktop one? I know it's more complicated due to varying pixel densities but it shouldn't be unworkable.

This has been covered multiple times on the forum; just leave feedback in your review and Marc&Co will get around to supporting additional resolutions if there is enough demand.

• SI Staff
Can you not do the UI to scale to any resolution, as you do on the desktop one? I know it's more complicated due to varying pixel densities but it shouldn't be unworkable.

Just to explain - I tried various scaling systems during development, trust me I'm lazy it'd have been far easier to do that then to detect and mess around with multiple skins ;)

The problem is that scaling especially on non-clean multiples (ie. horizontal scale of 1.24 and vertical scale of 1.5 or whatever) leads potentially to huge blurring and stretching. The resultant image had really blurry text on certain devices which wasn't acceptable for release imho.

(hence the decision to take the approach which we did).

Before I get too far into my save; does the lack of DLR mean that my wage budget at Prestatyn will remain fairly constant? If I consistently get Champions League football will I still struggle to attract top players due to my finances?

• SI Staff
Before I get too far into my save; does the lack of DLR mean that my wage budget at Prestatyn will remain fairly constant? If I consistently get Champions League football will I still struggle to attract top players due to my finances?

If you do well enough you could unlock 'Sugar Daddy' which brings a multi-millionaire chairman to your club - you'll still be a big club in a small league (so no signing Messi) but that'd help .... up to you if thats sufficient ambition for you or not.

If I do unlock sugar daddy and 'cheat' in finances like that, if I then spent big bucks on players from other teams in the WPL (I presume at this point then most of the regens will be turning up in this division as it's active?), then will their spending increase accordingly or will they, as in older versions, bank the money against future losses?

• SI Staff
If I do unlock sugar daddy and 'cheat' in finances like that, if I then spent big bucks on players from other teams in the WPL (I presume at this point then most of the regens will be turning up in this division as it's active?), then will their spending increase accordingly or will they, as in older versions, bank the money against future losses?

To be honest I don't know as its not something I've actively tested - as I mentioned when you brought this up last week (you were running 2011 then I think) I'll look into this in the future and if required tweak accordingly (but at present tbh ensuring all devices run the Android game stably is my main concern).

• SI Staff
Only have about 12mb free on internal at the moment.

Does it indicate you can download? - I set a flag to say it can install to SD card, however I don't know if that works for the initial download or not (I don't have a device with that limited memory on here to test it with at present) ... it might be that the later OS revisions can bypass using internal memory fully (if so then please let me know as it'd be useful for other users as well).

Worst case scenario is you'll need 28mb of space for the initial apk download and then the rest will install to the SD Card (which will require another 160Mb or so).

@Marc Vaughan: I hope that the resolution for the Galaxy Note will be fixed, it is a shame not to play it on this phone's big screen in full resolution. :) The idea about a prompt message: "Would you like to exit?" also seems nice. Also, is it possible to introduce all monetary currencies as well as weekly/monthly/yearly wages? I have been playing with yearly wages since CM 01/02 on a different currency so I am really really confused right now with weekly wages in only three currencies.

• SI Staff
@Marc Vaughan: I hope that the resolution for the Galaxy Note will be fixed, it is a shame not to play it on this phone's big screen in full resolution. :)

We'll be looking at additional skins/resolution support in the near future.

The idea about a prompt message: "Would you like to exit?" also seems nice. Also, is it possible to introduce all monetary currencies as well as weekly/monthly/yearly wages? I have been playing with yearly wages since CM 01/02 on a different currency so I am really really confused right now with weekly wages in only three currencies.

I'll look into these in the near future, however please bear in mind that critical fixes will get priority initially before enhancements.

I'll look into these in the near future, however please bear in mind that critical fixes will get priority initially before enhancements.

Other games hide the menu bar so perhaps that could be done for FM?

@Marc cleared contacts today, took the market three attempts to install...which was their fault im sure. It was downloading then disappeared from my phone, no trace of it. Tried again and it worked. Only taking up 7mb after moving to SD.

Great work all involved, can see this destorying my battery :D

@Marc, would it be feasible to implement some sort of Haptic Feedback in the user interface in a later update?

Mainly thinking of the formation screen where it would come in handy as an indicator as to whether I'm dragging a player icon correctly. I have fat fingers, so difficult to see the icons under them :)

@Marc, would it be feasible to implement some sort of Haptic Feedback in the user interface in a later update?

Mainly thinking of the formation screen where it would come in handy as an indicator as to whether I'm dragging a player icon correctly. I have fat fingers, so difficult to see the icons under them :)

+1; the number of times I've got frustrated by this :D

+1 Twice already I've unknowingly put a striker in goal at half time!

• SI Staff

I'll take a look into this when I get a chance (its kinda complicated to do as the drag/drop is a custom layer on top of the UI, but I'll work something out - please be patient with me though, I'm kinda running around in circles at present ;) ).

• SI Staff
@Marc cleared contacts today, took the market three attempts to install...which was their fault im sure. It was downloading then disappeared from my phone, no trace of it. Tried again and it worked. Only taking up 7mb after moving to SD.

Great work all involved, can see this destorying my battery :D

Glad its up and working for you - thats fantastic :D

PS - Generally with things failing to install/start on android I've found that a reboot of my phone works wonders to get things sane again.

I'll take a look into this when I get a chance (its kinda complicated to do as the drag/drop is a custom layer on top of the UI, but I'll work something out - please be patient with me though, I'm kinda running around in circles at present ;) ).
Cool. Not to worry. More for the 'nice to have' list rather than an essential of course.

Really liking it so far!

Glad its up and working for you - thats fantastic :D

PS - Generally with things failing to install/start on android I've found that a reboot of my phone works wonders to get things sane again.

Yeh my phone has been tempermental last few weeks. I think it knows I'm looking at a newer phone...

Firstly let me just say I'm loving the game so far! I have a couple of questions though and I'm not really sure where to post them so thought I'd put them in here.

1 - I read further up the thread that some attributes have been added together to save space, is there a list of which attributes have been combined somewhere?

2 - I haven't played FMH since 09 (I think) and was wondering if you can change individual player instructions. I know you can change from advanced playmaker to box to box etc but there used to be a page where you could change pressing (yes/no), long shots (yes/no), cross ball (yes/no) etc... If you can't do this any more is there somewhere I can find out the settings for each role? I'd quite like to see if any of my old tactics that did well still work but I can't decide which roles match my old instructions.

Again, the game has been great so far, loving the simplicity after a few years of solely playing the PC version. Thanks for any help anyone can provide about the above questions.

• SI Staff
1 - I read further up the thread that some attributes have been added together to save space, is there a list of which attributes have been combined somewhere?

I think I've done a post about this previously - I'll try and rummage it up or write a new one at some point when things slow down a little, the two obvious ones are Pace and Heading obviously.

2 - I haven't played FMH since 09 (I think) and was wondering if you can change individual player instructions. I know you can change from advanced playmaker to box to box etc but there used to be a page where you could change pressing (yes/no), long shots (yes/no), cross ball (yes/no) etc... If you can't do this any more is there somewhere I can find out the settings for each role? I'd quite like to see if any of my old tactics that did well still work but I can't decide which roles match my old instructions.

I'll scribble something up regarding this at some point in the coming week.

Again, the game has been great so far, loving the simplicity after a few years of solely playing the PC version. Thanks for any help anyone can provide about the above questions.

Glad you're enjoying the game :D

Marc, when you say that attributes are merged what do you mean? Is it that an average from the FM attributes is taken before adding to the FMH database, or it means that both attributes are actually present (and effective) in the FMH game, but the visualization is combined?

I would like to bring a problem with 800x480 tablet device, as i have set by default 120dpi on my screen game runs in small screen in center of it, and when i change dpi on my tablet to 160 it is on fullscreen. i got ICS 4.0.3 with status bar hide mod installed so i can use whole screen for the game. I guess it will not be hard to make it run 800x480 with 120 dpi setting, it's same resolution anyway, just other dpi.

• SI Staff
I would like to bring a problem with 800x480 tablet device, as i have set by default 120dpi on my screen game runs in small screen in center of it, and when i change dpi on my tablet to 160 it is on fullscreen. i got ICS 4.0.3 with status bar hide mod installed so i can use whole screen for the game. I guess it will not be hard to make it run 800x480 with 120 dpi setting, it's same resolution anyway, just other dpi.

The game asks the device its running on which resolution the device is - the game then renders that many pixels, on a bespoke tablet it should report what the real resolution of the device is and use that.

From what you're indicating the game is rendering a 480x320 skin and then you're scaling this up? - if this is the case then something is causing it to report a resolution which isn't 800x480.

I'd be happy to help - but I'd need to know what device you're using and what you've done to customise it (I've a DELL Streak here using standard software and thats fine in 800x480 resolution, so we have specifically tested this style of device).

http://goclever.pl/goclever_tab_a73 <-my device,

it is 800x480 native, it runs on 800x480 when i set 160dpi, it is not scalling up, but it runs centered on lower res when i set dpi 120,

i have android 4.0.3 with sausage script mod that installs allwinner mod application that lets me change which dpi i use my tablet with

you can change dpi with rooted phone by changing line:

ro.sf.lcd_density=160

in file /system/build.prop

to other value and restarting it

again, it does not look stretched when it is fullscreen, but it may just work that well, but fact is that its not on fullscreen with 120dpi @ 800x480

• SI Staff
http://goclever.pl/goclever_tab_a73 <-my device,

it is 800x480 native, it runs on 800x480 when i set 160dpi, it is not scalling up, but it runs centered on lower res when i set dpi 120,

i have android 4.0.3 with sausage script mod that installs allwinner mod application that lets me change which dpi i use my tablet with

you can change dpi with rooted phone by changing line:

ro.sf.lcd_density=160

in file /system/build.prop

to other value and restarting it

again, it does not look stretched when it is fullscreen, but it may just work that well, but fact is that its not on fullscreen with 120dpi @ 800x480

Can you go to the credits page when the game is running on both of these settings and let us know the resolution that is indicated in brackets after the version number? Thanks.

• SI Staff
160dpi - WVGA

120dpi - HVGA

Also i checked it on other setting which is described as small phone and it's 240dpi and it says in game - WVGA

OK, unless I'm totally misunderstanding how this works, it sounds to me like you're basically forcing the device to appear as being 600 x 360. We don't have a 600 x 360 skin or anything similar (as it's a deeply unusual resolution) so the game is giving you the 480 x 320 skin as that's the closest thing we have.

• SI Staff

The problem is likely that the phone was 'set' as a smaller than 800x480 resolution (in the knowledge of the operating system) when you installed the game - hence the game installed the appropriate skin for that device.

If you want to use 800x480 full-screen then please uninstall the game and reinstall with the device in that resolution, the game will then install the correct skin.

(sorry but as far as I can see the game did what was 'sensible' in this case - its simply a by-product of your having 'hacked' the operating system and having it in a non-standard configuration)

Nah it is ok when i switch dpi, it just downloaded new files and it is switching resolutions according to what dpi i set, on 120 it sets lower on 160 and 240 it sets higher one i got both set of resolution files downloaded on my tablet just i need to switch dpi and restart to play :p

• 2 weeks later...

I must say I'm planning on getting an android device shortly and this is on my must buy list.

The phone I'm getting, however, is the Galaxy note. Seeing the game run on that screen at maximum resolution would be immense.

But further up this thread someone mentioned they had issues with it, a shame.

If I hear that the Galaxy note supports it in fullscreen, I will buy it straight away.

I know other things take priority, but when this gets sorted I'll be the first one buying it. Any news?

800x1280 - Note Resolution.

Edit: I know the new update supports a higher resolution skin.

Can any samsung galaxy note device users confirm if this works with the new update?

• SI Staff
I must say I'm planning on getting an android device shortly and this is on my must buy list.

The phone I'm getting, however, is the Galaxy note. Seeing the game run on that screen at maximum resolution would be immense.

But further up this thread someone mentioned they had issues with it, a shame.

If I hear that the Galaxy note supports it in fullscreen, I will buy it straight away.

I know other things take priority, but when this gets sorted I'll be the first one buying it. Any news?

800x1280 - Note Resolution.

Edit: I know the new update supports a higher resolution skin.

Can any samsung galaxy note device users confirm if this works with the new update?

Hi - the new skin's been tested on the Galaxy Note, it runs at 1280 x 720 so fills the full width of the screen and almost all of the height.

Hi - the new skin's been tested on the Galaxy Note, it runs at 1280 x 720 so fills the full width of the screen and almost all of the height.

Thanks, you guys are legends!

I'll be picking up my phone on Saturday & I'll come here to shower you with more praise when I'm playing it. :D

My stepdad JUST bought fm 2012 on steam the other day, he finally got a PC that could run it. He slapped his forehead when I told him he could have got it for his phone. DOH! I think he'll be buying it for his samsung galaxy aswell! :D

Looking forward to joining in with you lot.

- Mike

Archived