Digital downloads now available (PC & Mac WSM and Fútbol Manager)

Originally posted by fercecy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Duffy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bolung:

I would like to know too! coz I wanna be able to play it when I'm at home, or on my laptop when I'm traveling as well as when I have free time at work using my work PC.

yeah, you can burn it to a disk and install it on 2/3 machines (depending on the partner you used) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh!, then, just a quick question... If i used D2D it is 2 or 3? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought mine from D2D and I'm not able to install my copy to my 3rd PC...

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Marc Duffy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scrapyard:

all i want is to buy fm 2008 via a download not bloody WWS manager 2008????lol

You will be able to for the first time ever after 8.0.1 is released </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just in the Americas or will we be able to here in England?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PLF:

ATTENTION:

For those who are thinking about going for digital download (as I did last week almost instantly after it became available which I now regret icon_frown.gif), keep in mind, apparently FMM (real-time editor many people use) which we were under the assumption that would work, WONT!!! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

HORRIBLE NEWS for anyone like me who wants to do even minimal editing once the game has already started and you notice some very wrong stuff in database which you feel the need to correct to properly enjoy the game as you don't want to start a NEW one with a new edited database.

Read THIS!!

ATTENTION

3rd party software not working with the variances of the game isn't our fault. Simply contact the makers and ask them to recognise WWSM in a future release.

All supported products work as far as I am aware </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not your fault or anyone else at SI, Marc. icon_wink.gif I'm fully aware of that.

I'm just upset that before making this purchase, I posted in no less than 6-7 threads asking everyone I could very clearly about "IS there, ANY Disadvantages to having Digital Download?"

Everyone replied No. They said, you can even use 3-rd part stuff and there are work-arounds such as changing the name of the file from WWSM.EXE to FM.EXE let's say...

So I went ahead and purchased it almost instantly after it became available. Which now I regret because I haven't played (and don't plan to until final patch is out), and if I hadn't, I'd know about this sad fact by now and just opt not to go for DD.

It's bad decision making on my part which cost me $30.

Now I didn't put this msg here to blame you guys. Just did so anyone else in my shoes who wants to use FMM or other 3-rd party softwares and hasn't gone for DD option yet, knows about it and goes for another option such as importing it or buying a real CD copy from stores.

Please help

I downloaded the 'try and buy' version of wwsm(I live in the states) on a mac (e sellerate)

It installed fine - but I didn't purchase the game

What are my limitations with try and buy ? how long will a season last- there are no player photos - once I buy will they appear - or do I get that from a third party editor

thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KurtBevacqua:

I am a US servicemen deployed to Eastern Europe. From the download options I see my current IP address will not work for me to purchase the game and I have no access to a store carrying the game. Am I just SOL here?

Saw your post today at FOF. Left instructions there for you - I hope I can help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>email sent, thanks

Originally posted by Sintra II:

As it says on homepage: "We are also going to be releasing a digital version of Football Manager 2008 at some point after 8.0.1 ships so this may suit any of you inother countries who are unable to get the game delivered."

Oh please, tell me when?

That seems to me to mean that if you live in a country where it is possible to get the software delivered in a box to your house then you won't be able to download it. So, because it can be delivered in the UK we obviously won't be allowed to download it, but Marc seems very evasive on that question.

• SI Staff

Evasive? No - I said we're releasing FM08 on digital download once 8.0.1 is out. I never once said that it would only be available in countries that can't get boxed product - you made that up.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by italy74:

Please help

I downloaded the 'try and buy' version of wwsm(I live in the states) on a mac (e sellerate)

It installed fine - but I didn't purchase the game

What are my limitations with try and buy ? how long will a season last- there are no player photos - once I buy will they appear - or do I get that from a third party editor

thanks

The game will last 6 months (in game not real time)

We only have player photos for licensed leagues.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by redsoxford:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Duffy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scrapyard:

all i want is to buy fm 2008 via a download not bloody WWS manager 2008????lol

You will be able to for the first time ever after 8.0.1 is released </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just in the Americas or will we be able to here in England? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Americas will not be able to purchase FM digitially - you have WWSM and Futbol Manager.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Sintra II:

And does "in other countries" cover eastern europe too?

It covers everywhere. North America = WWSM, South America = Futbol Manager ... The rest of the wolrd gets Football Manager

From Play.com: £24.99 (shipping included)

From Amazon.co.uk: £24.98

That being said, RRP is £34.99, but I still think this is pretty stupid.

Is it costlier to sell games online than the traditional way? Or, if I may put on my skeptical shoes, is the profit margin just much larger?

Well, I wont be paying £10 extra for a version that's no different than the boxed one other than having to wait for an unknown length of time.

I hope you revise your pricing and policies with regards to digital downloads for your next release. It ought to be encouraged, not discouraged.

(That being said, the games are fantastic. I just want the developer to follow the standard of excellence that their flagship-game is known for.)

I never once said that it would only be available in countries that can't get boxed product - you made that up.

I never made it up, I quoted what the above poster had said he'd read on the website somewhere.

I'm not sure on the cost - probably around £30-34 and €40-44 Euros

€40-44 is approximately £27-30 so that looks like a UK premium or a Euro discount and we probably don't get to choose the currency.

Originally posted by Stian1234:

From Play.com: £24.99 (shipping included)

From Amazon.co.uk: £24.98

True, I can purchase the game from play.com and get it delivered to my doorstep but the thing is that my country custom policy charges us extra money for online purchases. So buying a book, cd or a software costs me almost the double price... I'd say in this case 35-50 pounds.

• SI Staff

Good news WWSM and Futbol Manager friends, a beta patch is headed your way...these will be rolled out as follows

- WWSM patch for CD holders coming tonight

- WWSM/Futbol Managet PC digital patch (BOonty, D2D) tomorrow (fingers crossed)

- WWSM/Futbol Managet Mac digital patch tomorrow (fingers crossed

• SI Staff

If you own a CD copy of WWSM ONLY

http://download.sega.com/u/fm2008_patch/wwsm2008_801_betapatch.exe

http://download.sega.com/u/fm2008_patch/wwsm2008_801_betapatch.dmg

If you downloaded a digital version via Boonty or D2D for WWSM or Futbol Manager on PC or Mac then come back tomorrow.

First of all, a big thanks to Sports Interactive for their help in the problems being able to download the game. To put this in context, the Customer Service / Query teams at both Booty and D2D were utterly useless, so I probably still wouldn't have Futbol Manager if it wasn't for SI's intervention.

My question is this; Does Futbol Manager have the same problems as the boxed version of football Manager. I ask because I've read some of the posts about bugs and problems in the original version, and its just not tying up with my experience. Sure my game's crashed once, and as this was after my team (who started the season with a huge point deduction) had won 4 in a row, I was disappointed by this, but other than that I don't see any major problems. Is the game perfect? Well probably not, but certainly none of the major problems that some players are reporting, either in player game day performances or player morale etc.

So I'm thinking that I won't download the beta fix, because the problems were sorted out on Futbol manager, and because so many people are complaining about the beta patch making things worse.

How have other people found Futbol Manager, or WWSM dwnload? Am i just lucky?

• SI Staff

You'll find you are part of the majority - the code base for Futbol Manager is the same as FM but it's quite often those with the problems shouting the loudest. Many people play the game and don't spot anything wrong.

Enjoy it icon_smile.gif

Many people play the game and don't spot anything wrong.

I'm coming around to this way of thinking. I downloaded WWSM the day it came out, and while I've followed (and contributed) to the threads about the beta patch, I'm beginning to think that I won't download it till its final. I think that tactics can downplay or make worse alot of the so called bugs. I, in over a half season, haven't had more then two or three goals TOTAL called back and while I've noticed the closing down problem it hasn't really affected my game. That may be because playing in the lower league giving midielders alot of space just encourages them to try long shots that don't have much a chance.

It's hard with all the complaints to figure out whether or not to install it when the beta patch comes out. I hear great things about the match engine, but lots of complaints about yellow cards and spectacular free kicks. I also get the sense that some people would complain about just about anything just to complain.

I guess I'm going to have to figure it out soon though.

Guest Awakened

Do you have to pay for each download?

Say for example I DL the game but I restore my computer back factory status or get a new computer altogether, could I just come back and redownload the game?

Hi, Iam from Argentina but living in Australia. Is there any chance of getting Futbol Manager Down Under ?.....

Another question/suggestion is that iam more keen on getting the physical CD with its box (just like in the old times).....

Will Futbol Manager be released in this format at any stage ?

Thanks....

Dorstener

• SI Staff

question - so with try and buy if I play till the game doesn't allow me till anymore (6 months I believe) then purchase the game online will I be able to keep my progress ?

thanks for all your help and prompt responses also for getting us downloaders the beta patch - you guys really are the best in the biz

cheers

Maybe I'm missing something easy here but is there a way to backup our DD at home?

I d'loaded from boonty and the game installed and activated itself. However unlike elicense I don't have a setup\install file that I can burn to cd so I don't have to d'load again if I have a problem. All I have are some small files in the c:\program files\boonty folder that I assume connect me to the d'load again if I need it. When I go to boonty and look at their faq it says I can backup my game. To do that it says to simply backup the "game.exe" file? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see how that would work with WWSM, again wouldn't I need the whole setup file?

One more install question. If I try the beta and want to go back I have to uninstall\reinstall and from what I've seen this also means re-downloading. If I go this route will my machine know this is still license #1 or will is use my second license? Sorry, if this is a silly question but with elicense I knew this would still be install #1, with boonty I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated.

Heya Marc. Just a quick Q about the esellerate system here... I downloaded and purchased WWSM Mac last night and I want to install it on my MacBook as well. But the purchase screen comes up again, even when I copy the installed folder over to the laptop! =( Where can I put in my license number, or what do I have to do so I don't end up buying a second copy?

Thanks muchly for any help.

I have two questions regarding digital download.

1) I read there something about licenses and activation codes, there are two, but what if I need to reinstall the game more times? I reinstalled FM 07 on my computer like 5 times in total, do I have to buy new activations in such case? How much would it cost?

2) When I get the game, it's exactly the same as if I had the one on CD? I mean code etc.

PS. Sorry for my (probably) very lame questions, however computers aren't my domain, all I understand is how to run FM. I appreaciate anyone's help!

I'm frustrated...

I purchased WWSM from Boonty on 10/30, but when I finish the download portion, I get an error message saying that the installer won't work on my configuration and then the process aborts? I don't know where to start. I have WWSM 2007 purchased through digital download and had no issues at all.

Having trouble installing WWSM 2008 digital download. I download the big 479MB file, and the 5MB installer, but when it installs right near the end it says that a source file is corrupted, and that i must either ignore or retry. Neither leads to a favorable result. I have tried deleting and reinstalling, but that did not help. I was told to try a clean install, we can see if that works. What else should i do? very frustrating...

I have a 1.60ghz laptop running windows xp sp2.

Thanks!

Originally posted by fercecy:

Well, tried again, again the same error...

On the first page that the Downloader opens it gives an error (not a popup, just the icon that there was something wrong, so, i clicked there to see what it was)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/generalisimo2/errorfm2008.gif

Then, the final error in the final step:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/generalisimo2/errorFM20082.gif

I will download the downloader again at home and will try again surelly... icon_frown.gif

Had the same problem... before I try again they haven't already charged me have they? Haven't got a confirmation email

A little clarification is someone could please.

If I get the D2D version of FM08 or whatever it is called for North America it will still come with the editor that I can use on the database before starting a game?

Thank you for any information.

Yeah the pre-game database editor will be there.

Originally posted by CGSilva5:

I myself purchased the download version of WWSM and was wondering if it's possible to uninstall and renstall.

I had to format my computer 3 days ago so before doing so, I uninstalled my digitally downloaded and installed WWSM.

Now having my computer back on track again, I'm gonna try to download it and give them my purchase ID and re-install the game.

I'll let you know how I get on...

I had WSM for PC and installed the patch.

My game is really slow, especially in match engine the players are jumping (lagged) most of the time.

I don't play it full screen. I don't know if it would help me to play it like that but I love to jump around to firefox and check stuff etc.

I didn't have problems like this before the patch since the game used to work real smooth.

Anything I can do about it? Is it the patch to blame?

Archived