[FM10] When The Saints Go Marching In - Crouchy's Mighty Saints Save!

crouchaldinho

4-3-1-2 greatest attacking formation I used on FM10 produced some stunning football. Decent-ish start just got to keep getting points and try and stay in the division.

I quite enjoyed using the 4-3-1-2 in Italy with Verona too, where I had an excellent team for the level I was playing at.

I sort of regret my buying strategy in the summer as I have ended up scratching my head over a formation to play to get the best out of my team. For some reason, I had a massive urge to get back to 4-4-2 but ultimately it doesn't suit my squad.

I've got some decent strikers and central midfielders, plus Norgaard should do a fine job at AM, so this formation was an easy choice in the end. Let's hope we can turn around the form while using it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also quite like to be on a par with the AI teams, which means I only tend to use formations that they use, if that makes any sense. Formations that come close to an exploit (like the three strikers one) are ones that I would tend to avoid at all costs.

The 4-3-3 preset uses 3 strikers ;)

I totally understand that you are stead fast on the things you stand for, trust me I am about some things :p I wouldn't really call it an "exploit" just the fact I have an excess of strikers and wide midfielers to use with poor central mids :p

Flamers

The 4-3-3 preset uses 3 strikers ;)

That's true, I suppose. :) I still prefer using 2 or 1 striker(s) though.

I totally understand that you are stead fast on the things you stand for, trust me I am about some things :p I wouldn't really call it an "exploit" just the fact I have an excess of strikers and wide midfielers to use with poor central mids :p

Fair enough. I probably used the wrong word anyway, so sorry about that.

At least I am not the only one who puts way too much thought into my tactics then. ;)

20091026011547!St_albans.png

UPDATE FOR OCTOBER 2020:

Oct2020.jpg

Manager Comments for October 2020:

October was the cruellest month yet. No wins!

The only positive thing you can say is that we are competing in all of these games and not getting played off the park. But losing all of the time does suck!

Norgaard is playing sensationally and looks by far my best signing. I reorganised the team so that he is the focal point. I feel as if he is going to be central to our survival hopes.

Losing to Southampton away was frustrating as we played quite well. Against Alan Shearer's Blackburn, however, we were overwhelmed by their attacking superiority.

At home to Fulham, we really ought to have won, having been in control for the majority of the match. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

So no wins in October. Am I mad to say that I am enjoying this save all the more, even though I am losing most of the time? It's nice to finally be involved in a relegation battle, to be honest.

Current League Position:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Arsenal      |       | 11    | 7     | 3     | 1     | 19    | 8     | +11   | 24    | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Man City     |       | 10    | 7     | 2     | 1     | 14    | 3     | +11   | 23    | 
| 3rd   |       | Aston Villa  |       | 11    | 6     | 4     | 1     | 21    | 7     | +14   | 22    | 
| 4th   |       | Blackburn    |       | 10    | 6     | 2     | 2     | 24    | 13    | +11   | 20    | 
| 5th   |       | Man Utd      |       | 10    | 5     | 3     | 2     | 13    | 9     | +4    | 18    | 
| 6th   |       | Tottenham    |       | 9     | 5     | 2     | 2     | 9     | 6     | +3    | 17    | 
| 7th   |       | Southampton  |       | 10    | 5     | 2     | 3     | 11    | 12    | -1    | 17    | 
| 8th   |       | Liverpool    |       | 9     | 5     | 1     | 3     | 18    | 11    | +7    | 16    | 
| 9th   |       | Newcastle    |       | 10    | 2     | 7     | 1     | 14    | 11    | +3    | 13    | 
| 10th  |       | Bristol City |       | 11    | 3     | 4     | 4     | 10    | 16    | -6    | 13    | 
| 11th  |       | Stoke        |       | 10    | 3     | 3     | 4     | 15    | 20    | -5    | 12    | 
| 12th  |       | Sheff Utd    |       | 9     | 2     | 4     | 3     | 10    | 11    | -1    | 10    | 
| 13th  |       | Chelsea      |       | 7     | 2     | 3     | 2     | 7     | 5     | +2    | 9     | 
| 14th  |       | Norwich      |       | 10    | 2     | 3     | 5     | 9     | 13    | -4    | 9     | 
| 15th  |       | Fulham       |       | 10    | 2     | 3     | 5     | 13    | 19    | -6    | 9     | 
[b]| 16th  |       | St. Albans   |       | 11    | 2     | 2     | 7     | 13    | 17    | -4    | 8     | [/b]
| 17th  |       | Hull         |       | 11    | 2     | 2     | 7     | 9     | 17    | -8    | 8     | 
| 18th  |       | Bolton       |       | 9     | 2     | 2     | 5     | 8     | 20    | -12   | 8     | 
| 19th  |       | Sunderland   |       | 11    | 1     | 4     | 6     | 7     | 16    | -9    | 7     | 
| 20th  |       | Everton      |       | 9     | 1     | 2     | 6     | 8     | 18    | -10   | 5     | 

COYS! gialloblu.gif

Crouchy I meant to ask. Where do you get that screenie of the fixtures and results for each of your updates? Is it on a different skin or summat coz I can never find it.

I'm just using the default dark skin.

When you view the fixtures/results page, click on the drop-down menu called 'view' and then I think it is an option called 'goalscorers' or something of that sort. Anyway, one of them brings up the results to look as I have posted them above.

I've read all of this and never posted, have no idea why as it is brilliant! One of the first things I have a look at when I come on the forums if a new update is up! Really makes me want to be able to get into a game like this and take them to the top, always get bored though :/ One day!! Keep up the good work :)

Will get FM11 but will be carrying on with FM10 saves for some time yet.

For what it's worth, in terms of FM11, I'm a bit frustrated by the player interaction and the lack of new features that I am personally interested in. Chief among the disappointments for me is the lack of continued development of the tactics creator, where I was hoping for new roles, more options and the ability to add customisable content. So, ultimately, there is nothing that is making me want to drop FM10 and rush to FM11 at the moment.

I can understand you, players interaction is clearly the unfinished article, I try to avoid that feature like the yellow fever...so far so good, however finally I saw wingers capable to put in some decent crosses, revolutionary I'd say!

Just finally read through the whole thread, great career and a really good read! I like the monthly updates, gives you more of a sense of what's going on in the game than seasonal ones. Might have to try that with my Messina save, although I'm already in December so I'd have a backlog to get through!

UPDATE FOR NOVEMBER & DECEMBER 2020:

NovDec2020.jpg

Manager Comments for NOVEMBER & DECEMBER 2020:

Two updates for the price of one now as I totally forgot to do my update at the end of November and ended up playing straight through December, such is my addiction to this save at the moment!

So this update takes us through to the end of 2020 and, to be honest, we're looking much more comfortable now than I expected after our very difficult start to the season.

November started with an amazing win over Spurs at White Hart Lane. We seem to be performing better on the road than at 'home' as this result clearly proves. Spurs are having a bit of an off season though and they are a mid-table side these days. Nevertheless, this was fantastic for us.

We followed it up with a very narrow victory over fellow relegation battlers Sunderland. It was a very lucky victory though, which saw us hanging on for dear life towards the end. Regardless, it was back-to-back wins!

Then it was back down to earth with a loss away to Everton. With Ryan van Dijk sent off, we stood little chance and we eventually capitulated at Goodison. Another loss, this time at home to Bristol City, saw us losing our recent momentum. There was another sending off in this match but it didn't have an effect on the result as Bristol City were already in a commanding 2-0 lead by that point. Very disappointing.

We struggled on into December and once again played poorly at home, failing to beat Hull City at home. Then came this relegation six-pointer against Norwich City:

NorwichvStAlbans-1.png

A fine result and a great performance, in what was a very tight contest. This win was massive for us, giving us a real chance of avoiding relegation this season.

Three games without a win followed but seeing as the fixtures involved the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United away from home, this was to be expected. We performed admirably at Stamford Bridge but came away with nothing. However, our 1-1 draw against Manchester United was a big achievement. Almost needless to say that our goalkeeper, Ben Amos, was the man of the match in that game! And we did a 'Man Utd' to Man Utd by scoring an equaliser in the last few minutes of the game at Old Trafford!

We ended the month with a 2-1 win at home to Bolton and then went to Arsenal and got a point. We were extremely fortunate against Bolton and a draw may well have been a fair result really. A stunning goal in the last minute of the game won it for us. Against Arsenal, however, we actually put in a real performance and should have won the game! It sounds bizarre to say it but we were better than Arsenal and were unlucky to concede a second-half equaliser after leading comfortably at one stage. It was still a great point anyway.

We are managing to get points on the board, which is very encouraging, and I think we're looking good at the moment. There is still a long way to go though and I'm worried about how we would cope with an injury to one of our key players. Hopefully I don't have to find out!

We must keep getting the points on the board and avoid being sucked into the relegation battle. So far, so good.

Current League Position:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[b]| 12th  |       | St. Albans   |       | 22    | 6     | 6     | 10    | 26    | 30    | -4    | 24    | [/b]
| 13th  |       | Tottenham    |       | 20    | 6     | 6     | 8     | 14    | 21    | -7    | 24    | 
| 14th  |       | Bristol City |       | 21    | 6     | 5     | 10    | 20    | 33    | -13   | 23    | 
| 15th  |       | Everton      |       | 21    | 5     | 6     | 10    | 23    | 38    | -15   | 21    | 
| 16th  |       | Sunderland   |       | 22    | 4     | 6     | 12    | 18    | 29    | -11   | 18    | 
| 17th  |       | Hull         |       | 22    | 4     | 6     | 12    | 14    | 27    | -13   | 18    | 
| 18th  |       | Bolton       |       | 21    | 3     | 8     | 10    | 18    | 35    | -17   | 17    | 
| 19th  |       | Fulham       |       | 20    | 3     | 5     | 12    | 21    | 35    | -14   | 14    | 
| 20th  |       | Norwich      |       | 22    | 2     | 6     | 14    | 14    | 37    | -23   | 12    | 

COYS! gialloblu.gif

END OF THE YEAR (2020) LEAGUE TABLE & PLAYER STATS:

Premier League Standings on 31/12/2020:

| 1st   |       | Arsenal      |       | 22    | 14    | 5     | 3     | 39    | 15    | +24   | 47    | 
| 2nd   |       | Aston Villa  |       | 21    | 13    | 6     | 2     | 32    | 12    | +20   | 45    | 
| 3rd   |       | Chelsea      |       | 21    | 13    | 5     | 3     | 28    | 9     | +19   | 44    | 
| 4th   |       | Man Utd      |       | 21    | 11    | 5     | 5     | 27    | 20    | +7    | 38    | 
| 5th   |       | Man City     |       | 19    | 10    | 6     | 3     | 28    | 11    | +17   | 36    | 
| 6th   |       | Liverpool    |       | 20    | 11    | 3     | 6     | 34    | 20    | +14   | 36    | 
| 7th   |       | Stoke        |       | 21    | 10    | 5     | 6     | 36    | 30    | +6    | 35    | 
| 8th   |       | Southampton  |       | 21    | 9     | 5     | 7     | 24    | 23    | +1    | 32    | 
| 9th   |       | Blackburn    |       | 21    | 8     | 7     | 6     | 34    | 27    | +7    | 31    | 
| 10th  |       | Newcastle    |       | 22    | 6     | 13    | 3     | 27    | 22    | +5    | 31    | 
| 11th  |       | Sheff Utd    |       | 22    | 6     | 8     | 8     | 26    | 29    | -3    | 26    | 
[b]| 12th  |       | St. Albans   |       | 22    | 6     | 6     | 10    | 26    | 30    | -4    | 24    | [/b]
| 13th  |       | Tottenham    |       | 20    | 6     | 6     | 8     | 14    | 21    | -7    | 24    | 
| 14th  |       | Bristol City |       | 21    | 6     | 5     | 10    | 20    | 33    | -13   | 23    | 
| 15th  |       | Everton      |       | 21    | 5     | 6     | 10    | 23    | 38    | -15   | 21    | 
| 16th  |       | Sunderland   |       | 22    | 4     | 6     | 12    | 18    | 29    | -11   | 18    | 
| 17th  |       | Hull         |       | 22    | 4     | 6     | 12    | 14    | 27    | -13   | 18    | 
| 18th  |       | Bolton       |       | 21    | 3     | 8     | 10    | 18    | 35    | -17   | 17    | 
| 19th  |       | Fulham       |       | 20    | 3     | 5     | 12    | 21    | 35    | -14   | 14    | 
| 20th  |       | Norwich      |       | 22    | 2     | 6     | 14    | 14    | 37    | -23   | 12    | 

First Team Squad Statistics (all competitions)- sorted by average rating:

| Pkd   | Inf   | Name                    | Position     | Apps  | Gls   | Ast   | MoM   | Av Rat| Age   | Nat   | Value   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| GK    | PR    | Ben Amos                | GK           | 24    | -     | -     | 2     | 7.00  | 30    | ENG   | £7M     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| DR    | PR    | Dean Smith YP11         | D R          | 10 (6)| -     | -     | -     | 6.90  | 16    | ENG   | £2.7M   | 
| DL    | Sus   | Aritz Larrea            | D RL         | 18    | -     | -     | -     | 6.45  | 17    | ESP   | £210K   | 
| DC    | Sus   | Leandrinho              | D C          | 23    | -     | -     | -     | 6.64  | 23    | BRA   | £2.9M   | 
| DC    | Wnt   | Ryan van Dijk           | D C          | 23    | 2     | -     | 1     | 7.01  | 24    | NED   | £13.25M | 
| MC    | PR    | Vito Favalli            | D C, DM, M C | 2 (3) | -     | -     | -     | 6.58  | 26    | ITA   | £2.3M   | 
| MC    | Rsv   | Christian Lorenz        | DM, M C      | 19 (2)| 2     | 4     | 2     | 7.13  | 20    | AUT   | £2.6M   | 
| MC    | Wnt   | Tom Stansfield          | M RC         | 21    | 2     | 1     | -     | 6.67  | 26    | ENG   | £3.8M   | 
| AMC   | PR    | Steffen Nørgaard        | AM/F C       | 22 (1)| 5     | 4     | 2     | 6.97  | 19    | DEN   | £6.5M   | 
| ST    | PR    | José Luis Barrios       | ST           | 17 (6)| 3     | 5     | 2     | 6.72  | 20    | ESP   | £3.9M   | 
| ST    |       | Victor Yegorov          | ST           | 17 (3)| 9     | 1     | -     | 6.79  | 23    | UKR   | £4.1M   | 
| S1    |       | Joseba Bergara          | D RL, WB L   | 2     | -     | -     | -     | 6.85  | 20    | ESP   | £2.3M   | 
| S2    | Inj   | Borja Rodríguez Sánchez | D RC         | 2 (7) | -     | -     | -     | 6.69  | 25    | ESP   | £2.2M   | 
| S3    | Wnt   | William Carvalho        | M C          | 5 (12)| -     | 2     | 1     | 6.85  | 28    | ANG   | £2.2M   | 
| S4    | PR    | José Antonio Gómez      | AM RL        | 7     | -     | 1     | -     | 6.77  | 23    | ESP   | £3.3M   | 
| S5    | Wnt   | Wesley Sneijder         | AM RLC       | 3 (6) | 1     | 2     | 1     | 6.83  | 36    | NED   | £110K   | 
| S6    | Wnt   | Raúl Lopes              | ST           | 1 (4) | 2     | -     | -     | 6.84  | 23    | POR   | £725K   | 
| S7    |       | Gaetano Rossi           | ST           | 5 (4) | -     | -     | -     | 6.15  | 25    | ITA   | £3.2M   | 
| -     | Inj   | Stefan van Dijk         | D/WB RL      | 17    | -     | 1     | -     | 6.70  | 28    | NED   | £800K   | 
| -     | Sus   | Andrés Abdesalam        | M C          | 20 (1)| 1     | 5     | -     | 6.97  | 26    | ESP   | £4.8M   | 

smilies-9274.png

Heh, where's that Canary-loving thread follower NOW? :D

I'm expecting you to be top-half by the end, Crouchy. They seem to be catching their wind and getting the hang of things.

Cheers DSYoungEsq. I hope you're right, although I suspect we'll be lower mid-table.

If only I had faith in myself. It's all going Pete at Hornchurch faster than you can say Norwich suck.

Where is Sax by the way?

His Norwich radar only works when they are doing well! :D

Half of the job done. What's been the safety point mark for the last few league seasons in your save anyway? Around the "40" they always mention or lower?

Yes, normally around the 40 mark. That's definitely the aim.

I'm just looking at getting some loans in for the second-half of the season in order to just give that little bit more strength and depth to the squad.

We've done our first 'double' of the season - over Newcastle United.

StAlbansvNewcastle.png

An amazing comeback as we were trailing 1-0 at half-time and looking poor.

Danish Wonderkid, Norgaard, won it with an absolutely stunning long-range effort which clipped the upright on its way in. If FM10 had YouTube, I might consider uploading it. :p

Anyway, I absolutely love taking the credit for turning around a game like this, as follows:

Crouchaldinho-3-9.png

Awesome! I love it when that happens. :cool:

I have to say that i have been reading this thread for 3hrs now and i have to say that i have really enjoyed reading it and i have also have to say that i wish you luck for the next few seasons and i think that you could be great manager in real life also. :)

Also could you tell me where you got the kits and logos from for your team, because they do look amazing.

Congratz on the 1st "double". Things really seem to be picking up now, I predict you'll finish 14th.

Whenever I complete a comeback I only get messages of the other team slating their manager :( my players don't like me

You need to get working on those motivational half-time team talks my friend! :p

I have to say that i have been reading this thread for 3hrs now and i have to say that i have really enjoyed reading it and i have also have to say that i wish you luck for the next few seasons and i think that you could be great manager in real life also. :)

You are far too kind Manu. Thank you very much for the comment! :)

Also could you tell me where you got the kits and logos from for your team, because they do look amazing.

They are just the logos that came with FM10. I didn't do anything to get them as they were already in the game.

crouchy do you sub as soon as a player gets a knocked, or is it just me?

and gratz, I know you'll stay up

Flamers

Cheers Flamers.

It really depends on the subbing front. To be honest, I often do sub a player off if he gets a knock, as I'd rather be cautious and I believe that the length of time the player continues playing can have an effect on the extent of the injury (whether or not he aggravates it further and is out for longer). The other reason is that a player with a knock is more likely to end up with a proper injury if he continues playing, in my experience, which I guess is just common sense really. Another factor is the opposition that I am playing against because in some cases, I may take further risks, and in others, I may not.

Anyway, I'm extra cautious with certain players, that is to say the star players who I know I won't be able to replace easily if they are out for a long period of time. They always get subbed off. Hence, van Dijk and Leandrinho came off against Newcastle, as they are by far my best defenders and I wanted to minimise any further risk.

If only I had faith in myself. It's all going Pete at Hornchurch faster than you can say Norwich suck.

Where is Sax by the way?

Heh, where's that Canary-loving thread follower NOW? :D

I was sleeping :)

Me and my big mouth :( Cmon Canaries pick it up lads, can we steal one of your players again Crouchy? :D

Archived