[FM10] When The Saints Go Marching In - Crouchy's Mighty Saints Save!

crouchaldinho

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, it isn't meant to be for the Hammers.

Final score: West Ham 1 - 1 Chelsea (Chelsea win 2-1 on agg.)

So we will play Chelsea at Wembley in the League Cup final. The match will take place towards the end of February.

Not feeling too confident, to be honest. I would absolutely love to win it though.

Good Luck in the League Cup Final

League is going pretty well as well :thup:

Cheers hrbfcrule. I've been trying to loan players to Hampton but none of them will go at the moment! You're in the BSBS at the moment and I will, at some point, turn my attentions to giving the club a bit of a helping hand. :)

League Cup Final, (at Wembley, London) - St. Albans City 0 - 1 Chelsea

Formations/Line-ups

Overview, match stats & player ratings

No happy ending this time then. My bad luck in finals once again returns. Normal service resumed.

Chelsea are a great team though. They are the current champions of England, so I knew this would be tough.

We paid the price for a rubbish first-half. At half-time, I took the risk of making a number of changes to see if I could turn things around. Unfortunately, in the second-half, I found I had used all of my substitutions. When Jose Luis Barrios needed to come off injured, I was unable to replace him. Therefore, we were chasing the game with 10 men.

Luck wasn't with us today. It was all very close and we didn't really deserve to lose. Hopefully, we'll be back at Wembley soon.

I'm pretty gutted to be honest, as I badly wanted to win a trophy this season. :(

ST. ALBANS CITY - THE MIRACLE: SEASON 2021/2022 TITLE RACE!

20091026011547!St_albans.png

That's right! The miracle is well and truly on!

UPDATE FOR JAN & FEB 2022 - SAINTS IN SEVENTH HEAVEN:

JanFeb2022.jpg

Manager Comments:

I want to talk primarily about the league fixtures first of all. We started off the new year with a 4-0 drubbing handed out to us by Arsenal at the Emirates. How depressing. This seemed to underline the superiority of the top sides in this division. It seemed that, thus far, our plucky little side had managed somehow to compete, but the likes of Arsenal could just turn on the style and hand out thrashings as they pleased to the likes of us.

Afterwards, just as I was gearing myself up for a difficult new year, we went on a SEVEN game winning streak! We just kept winning and winning. This also included a fantastic 3-0 demolition of current title holders Chelsea.

In the League Cup, as you can see above, we managed to comprehensively beat Man City in the semi-finals, before crashing out 1-0 in the final against Chelsea at Wembley. The other major downer of the month was losing at White Hart Lane to Spurs in the FA Cup 5th Round. We were unable to defend our trophy, which is a shame.

In the Europa League, we remained unbeaten with a 100% record. We beat Rubin Kazan of Russia 3-1 on aggregate. We now go through to play HSV in the next round of the competition.

Current League Position:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Liverpool    |       | 30    | 15    | 12    | 3     | 45    | 19    | +26   | 57    | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
[b]| 2nd   |       | St. Albans   |       | 26    | 17    | 5     | 4     | 39    | 20    | +19   | 56    | [/b]
| 3rd   |       | Arsenal      |       | 30    | 17    | 4     | 9     | 50    | 27    | +23   | 55    | 
| 4th   |       | Newcastle    |       | 30    | 15    | 5     | 10    | 47    | 34    | +13   | 50    | 

COYS! gialloblu.gif

ST. ALBANS CITY - THE MIRACLE: SEASON 2021/2022 TITLE RACE!

That's right! The miracle is well and truly on!

UPDATE FOR MARCH 2022 - SAINTS LEADING THE WAY:

March2022.jpg

Manager Comments:

The miracle is still on. That is, St. Albans City, a small and unfashionable club from Hertfordshire, are challenging establishment clubs such as Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, for the chance to be Champions of England!

A 1-0 win away to Villa started the month. It was solid but not at all spectacular. The three points were gratefully taken in this smash and grab win.

Continuing on with the league fixtures for now, we suffered a European hangover against Hull City, putting in a decidedly shaky performance and ending up on the wrong end of a 2-0 scoreline. This was our first loss in the league for quite some time. What made it worse was two of my ex-signings doing the business against their old team. Luis Bianchi, a total flop for us, was in goal for the Tigers and kept a clean sheet. And Jokin Saiz, who I sold on feeling that his low natural fitness and injury proneness were a big problem, made a mockery of me by scoring both goals for Hull. He also kissed their badge while celebrating. Grrrrrr!

We bounced back with back-to-back wins at Clarence Park against Reading and then Leeds United.

In the final game of the month, we managed this fine draw at Anfield:

LiverpoolvStAlbans.png

Liverpool were really strong but we had a few chances of our own. In the end though, it was some fine defending and excellent goalkeeping that got us the point.

Getting the draw at Anfield really keeps us well ahead in this title race. Astonishing really as I thought we would struggle to break the top four and here we are on top of the pile, for now anyway.

Current League Position:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[b]| 1st   |       | St. Albans   |       | 31    | 20    | 6     | 5     | 46    | 22    | +24   | 66    | [/b]
| 2nd   |       | Liverpool    |       | 33    | 16    | 14    | 3     | 47    | 20    | +27   | 62    | 
| 3rd   |       | Arsenal      |       | 33    | 19    | 5     | 9     | 57    | 31    | +26   | 62    | 
| 4th   |       | Chelsea      |       | 33    | 14    | 17    | 2     | 39    | 21    | +18   | 59    | 

COYS! gialloblu.gif

I'll take it your going for the title this year?

Flamers

I would say trying rather than 'going'!

It's all a bit of a surprise. We've suddenly found ourselves in a fantastic position with a great chance of landing an unlikely title!

To be honest, prior to this, I was focusing on the League Cup and the Europa League, feeling that they would be my most realistic chance of silverware.

Europa League Update:

A quick update from the Europa League.

Check out this extraordinary tie against HSV.

FIRST LEG:

StAlbansvHSV.png

Nice and comfortable. I was looking for us to put our feet up in the second-leg and just see the game through. Surely, I thought, HSV couldn't get back into the tie at 4-1 down after the first leg?

SECOND LEG:

HSVvStAlbans.png

The answer was, yes, they could.

We were awful. Complacency clearly set in. Despite finding ourselves 1-0 up on the night, we then managed to go on to concede four goals and HSV were back in it.

In the end, it took extra-time for us to win the tie. Our Danish wonderkid, Steffen Norgaard, got the winner in the 114th minute of the match. I celebrated wildly but I was also livid. We really shouldn't have made it this difficult for ourselves.

Crisis averted, for now. We are through to play French side PSG in the Quarter Final.

EDIT - by the way, the loss against HSV away was our first ever defeat in European competition. Our record reads won 9, lost 1.

Cheers hrbfcrule. I've been trying to loan players to Hampton but none of them will go at the moment! You're in the BSBS at the moment and I will, at some point, turn my attentions to giving the club a bit of a helping hand. :)

Hahaha thanks

Unlucky on the cup final loss but the league and Europe seem to be going very well

Can't request any links now Flamers. Will keep an eye on it though.

To be honest, I'm not sure what good I can do them as I don't have any edits on this save.

They play in the FA cup :p

Also it MIGHT be possible to get the into the BSN (I don't know why they go into north every time but they do...)

And gratz on the PSG win :)

Flamers

They play in the FA cup :p

Also it MIGHT be possible to get the into the BSN (I don't know why they go into north every time but they do...)

They are at Step 4 in my save, so can never be promoted to a playable league. They also only enter the cup randomly due to the way FM has the FA Cup only running from the 2nd qualifying round. :(

And gratz on the PSG win

Cheers! :)

EUROPA LEAGUE UPDATE - QUARTER FINAL, SECOND LEG:

StAlbansvParisSaint-Germain.png

My team seem to have some serious problems with playing second legs when they already have a comfortable lead. This was another close one!

We're through though and that's all that matters for now. We will play LIVERPOOL in the semi-finals of the Europa Cup. They overcame Besiktas in their quarter-final tie.

Just been catching up, brilliant I have waited for awhile to see you take Saints to the top league and win it. I have faith.

Cheers AB. It's going to be a cracking end to the season. I'll either end up empty handed and depressed, or overjoyed at winning something way beyond my expectations. Still got the League and the Europa to play for! COYS! :D

So next up it's LIVERPOOL in the Europa League Semi-finals!

It's one of the establishment clubs in English football versus a plucky, little, unfashionable club from Hertfordshire.

The first leg will be played in a northern city which lives and breathes football. The second leg will be played in a tiny corner of Hertfordshire where the locals weren't that bothered about their team until the last decade or so! :D

Can we do it? COYS! :D

EUROPA LEAGUE UPDATE - SEMI-FINAL, FIRST LEG:

LiverpoolvStAlbans-2.png

We shocked the Kop with an early goal and looked good value for our lead.

Liverpool, however, equalised at the beginning of the second-half and were extremely strong throughout.

All in all, this was a great result for us. We've got the away goal and we're taking a good draw back to Clarence Park. It's going to be tough but if we can keep a clean sheet, we'll be in another final!

EUROPA LEAGUE UPDATE - SEMI-FINAL, SECOND LEG:

StAlbansvLiverpool.png

Absolutely devastated.

It all seemed to be going well. We went in 0-0 at half-time.

Liverpool scored with a controversial penalty in the second-half. Then, as we were chasing the game, they got another to send us crashing out of the Europa League.

It's a harsh lesson. It's pretty clear, despite our overachieving in the league, that we haven't quite got the squad to compete with the likes of Liverpool when they are in top form.

:(

On the other hand, looking on the bright side, a semi-final is a great achievement in our first season in Europe. We still have a young side, so we'll no doubt be back, and they will get better.

And, the miracle is still on! Wouldn't most Saints fans want to be Champions of England over Europa League winners anyway? :cool:

Bad luck in the League Cup final, but great form in the League and Europa League since! I'm sure you'll have a trophy or two at the end of the season :)

Edit: Bad timing :( unlucky there, take revenge by winning the title!

I really wanted the Europa League for some reason. More than the title, in fact. It's gone now though.

The title is down to us, Liverpool and Arsenal. The latter two are practically falling over themselves to give us the title. We're in a great position now coming towards the end of April. COYS!

I always find the Europa league hard to win for some reason, when I get into it I am not quite good enough and then once I am good enough I am usually getting into the champions league.

Good luck with the league dude, waiting here hoping for Saints to take that title.

I always find the Europa league hard to win for some reason, when I get into it I am not quite good enough and then once I am good enough I am usually getting into the champions league.

I've got a feeling that is exactly what is going to happen to me this time. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the league dude, waiting here hoping for Saints to take that title.

Fingers crossed. Looking good at the moment. :cool:

What a great run in the Europa League! Good luck versus Liverpool and Arsenal!

I was quite pleased with the run but I badly waned to get to that final and win it! :mad:

Liverpool have the Europa League final to play in and Arsenal the FA Cup final. We have nothing else but the league to concentrate on. That could work in our advantage.

The main difficulty we have is that our games are crammed into a really short space of time as we are behind the rest due to the Europa League run.

ST. ALBANS CITY - THE TITLE THAT NOBODY WANTED: SEASON 2021/2022 TITLE RACE!

The miracle is no more.

UPDATE FOR APRIL & MAY 2022 - EXHAUSTED SAINTS FALL AT THE FINAL HURDLE:

AprilMay2022.jpg

Manager Comments:

The miracle is no more. St. Albans City, a small and unfashionable club from Hertfordshire, were challenging establishment clubs such as Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, for the chance to be Champions of England. They fell at the final hurdle. Basically, we blew it!

After being knocked out of the Europa League against Liverpool at the semi-final stage, the players were demoralised and exhausted. I had to try to get these guys back up and ready for the title challenge but ultimately I failed.

The draw at home to Fulham was a huge disappointment. We didn't have enough left in the tank and it further demoralised the squad. Just two days after the Liverpool match, it came far too soon and we were unable to get what would have been an absolutely vital win.

Away at Blackburn, we were leading 2-1, before the hosts got an equaliser late on. Another example of our inability to see games through. The squad was, by now, exhausted and I was struggling to consistently put out my best starting XI. In fact, I simply wasn't able to put out my best side.

We lost to Stoke away in a match that saw us put in a dreadful performance. Without quite a few of our best players, we looked very ordinary, and Stoke, fighting for their lives, shocked us with an early goal that we were unable to recover from.

Nobody seemed to want this title. Liverpool had managed to play their way out of the race and Arsenal had failed to make the most of our dropped points. It all came down to the last game where we would play Manchester United at Old Trafford.

All was going really well and we even had chances to score and get a lead. Unfortunately, in the second-half, we lost our way. Our fullback was sent off and we ended up conceding a goal in the last 10 minutes of the match. We just couldn't hold on with 10 men. Arsenal won their match to claim the title on GOAL DIFFERENCE! :mad:

Our squad was too small in the end, lacking in quality and depth, and also with so many youngsters who just couldn't go that extra mile to win the title. Our squad had an average age of 23, which goes to show just how young they are.

We didn't deserve the title, and in a way, I'm glad we didn't win it. Of course, I would have loved it, but it was really too much, too soon. It gives me the chance now to do some rebuilding and to build a side who can genuinely challenge for the big trophies.

It was painful to lose the title this way though. At Old Trafford, to a late goal, which put us out of it on goal difference.

Current League Position:

| 1st   | C     | Arsenal      |       | 38    | 23    | 5     | 10    | 66    | 36    | +30   | 74    | 
[b]| 2nd   |       | St. Albans   |       | 38    | 22    | 8     | 8     | 51    | 28    | +23   | 74    | [/b]
| 3rd   |       | Liverpool    |       | 38    | 19    | 15    | 4     | 52    | 22    | +30   | 72    | 
| 4th   |       | Chelsea      |       | 38    | 16    | 19    | 3     | 47    | 28    | +19   | 67    | 

COYS! gialloblu.gif

END OF SEASON 2021/21 LEAGUE TABLE & PLAYER STATS:

Final Premier League Standings:

| 1st   | C     | Arsenal      |       | 38    | 23    | 5     | 10    | 66    | 36    | +30   | 74    | 
[b]| 2nd   |       | St. Albans   |       | 38    | 22    | 8     | 8     | 51    | 28    | +23   | 74    | [/b]
| 3rd   |       | Liverpool    |       | 38    | 19    | 15    | 4     | 52    | 22    | +30   | 72    | 
| 4th   |       | Chelsea      |       | 38    | 16    | 19    | 3     | 47    | 28    | +19   | 67    | 
| 5th   |       | Southampton  |       | 38    | 16    | 9     | 13    | 41    | 40    | +1    | 57    | 
| 6th   |       | Newcastle    |       | 38    | 15    | 11    | 12    | 57    | 46    | +11   | 56    | 
| 7th   |       | West Brom    |       | 38    | 16    | 8     | 14    | 49    | 49    | 0     | 56    | 
| 8th   |       | Bristol City |       | 38    | 15    | 9     | 14    | 48    | 47    | +1    | 54    | 
| 9th   |       | Man City     |       | 38    | 13    | 14    | 11    | 45    | 31    | +14   | 53    | 
| 10th  |       | Tottenham    |       | 38    | 12    | 16    | 10    | 40    | 37    | +3    | 52    | 
| 11th  |       | Aston Villa  |       | 38    | 13    | 12    | 13    | 37    | 28    | +9    | 51    | 
| 12th  |       | Sheff Utd    |       | 38    | 12    | 15    | 11    | 30    | 30    | 0     | 51    | 
| 13th  |       | Fulham       |       | 38    | 11    | 14    | 13    | 47    | 52    | -5    | 47    | 
| 14th  |       | Sunderland   |       | 38    | 11    | 13    | 14    | 39    | 49    | -10   | 46    | 
| 15th  |       | Man Utd      |       | 38    | 12    | 7     | 19    | 34    | 44    | -10   | 43    | 
| 16th  |       | Blackburn    |       | 38    | 10    | 11    | 17    | 35    | 54    | -19   | 41    | 
| 17th  |       | Stoke        |       | 38    | 9     | 13    | 16    | 40    | 58    | -18   | 40    | 
| 18th  | R     | Hull         |       | 38    | 10    | 9     | 19    | 26    | 41    | -15   | 39    | 
| 19th  | R     | Leeds        |       | 38    | 7     | 10    | 21    | 19    | 39    | -20   | 31    | 
| 20th  | R     | Reading      |       | 38    | 4     | 10    | 24    | 19    | 63    | -44   | 22    | 

First Team Squad Statistics (all competitions)- sorted by average rating:

| Pkd   | Inf   | Name                | Position     | Apps    | Gls   | Ast   | MoM   | Av Rat| Age   | Nat   | Value | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| GK    |       | Shlomi Soffer       | GK           | 63      | -     | 1     | 3     | 7.02  | 28    | ISR   | £4.8M | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| DR    | PR    | Dean Smith YP11     | D RL         | 43 (2)  | -     | 5     | 4     | 7.18  | 18    | ENG   | £3.6M | 
| DL    | Wnt   | Cristobal Alonso    | D LC, M L    | 24 (1)  | -     | 1     | -     | 6.94  | 20    | ESP   | £2.4M | 
| DC    |       | Leandrinho          | D C          | 47 (1)  | -     | -     | 3     | 6.94  | 25    | BRA   | £2.7M | 
| DC    |       | Ben Kearns          | D C, DM, M C | 33 (16) | -     | 2     | 3     | 7.01  | 26    | ENG   | £1.5M | 
| MC    |       | Andrés Abdesalam    | M C          | 48 (4)  | 5     | 4     | -     | 6.88  | 27    | ESP   | £4.6M | 
| MC    | Wnt   | Christian Lorenz    | DM, M C      | 37 (4)  | 2     | 3     | 1     | 6.88  | 21    | AUT   | £4.5M | 
| MC    | Wnt   | Michael Ball        | M RLC        | 24 (23) | 3     | 8     | 2     | 6.88  | 19    | ENG   | £4.1M | 
| AMC   |       | Steffen Nørgaard    | AM/F C       | 41 (6)  | 13    | 12    | 4     | 7.02  | 21    | DEN   | £6.25M| 
| ST    |       | Aleksandar Dimitrov | AM/F C       | 48 (4)  | 17    | 13    | 2     | 6.96  | 24    | BUL   | £12.5M| 
| ST    |       | Gaetano Rossi       | ST           | 32 (15) | 17    | 4     | 1     | 6.92  | 26    | ITA   | £4.3M | 
| S1    | Rsv   | Ben Amos            | GK           | 1       | -     | -     | -     | 6.90  | 32    | ENG   | £2.2M | 
| S2    | Wnt   | Sergey Kalashnikov  | D/WB L       | 27 (1)  | -     | 5     | 3     | 7.26  | 25    | RUS   | £6.75M| 
| S3    |       | Guillermo Conti     | D C          | 8 (8)   | -     | -     | -     | 6.66  | 19    | ARG   | £5M   | 
| S4    | Wnt   | William Carvalho    | M C          | 16 (14) | 3     | 2     | 1     | 6.99  | 30    | ANG   | £2M   | 
| S5    | Wnt   | José Manuel         | DM, AM RC    | 15 (25) | 1     | 7     | -     | 6.74  | 20    | ESP   | £3.5M | 
| S6    |       | Klaus Madsen        | AM C         | 12 (10) | 4     | 4     | 1     | 6.89  | 27    | DEN   | £6M   | 
| S7    |       | José Luis Barrios   | ST           | 13 (21) | 8     | 3     | 1     | 6.60  | 22    | ESP   | £3.8M | 
| -     | Inj   | Tom Stansfield      | M RC         | 42 (4)  | 3     | 7     | 1     | 6.86  | 27    | ENG   | £4M   | 
| -     | Inj   | Frits Gorré         | D C          | 13 (1)  | -     | -     | -     | 6.85  | 27    | NED   | £2.9M | 
| -     | Inj   | Ryan van Dijk       | D C          | 28 (6)  | 1     | 1     | -     | 6.81  | 26    | NED   | £3.9M | 
| -     | Inj   | Victor Yegorov      | ST           | 53      | 27    | 12    | 11    | 7.15  | 24    | UKR   | £6M   | 
| -     | Rsv   | Óscar               | M C          | 2       | -     | -     | -     | 6.85  | 23    | ESP   | £3.4M | 
| -     | Unh   | Steffen Christensen | D/WB/M R     | 19 (12) | -     | 3     | -     | 6.97  | 19    | DEN   | £1.2M | 
| -     | Rsv   | Aritz Larrea        | D RL         | 14 (10) | -     | -     | -     | 6.73  | 18    | ESP   | £1.4M | 

smilies-9274.png

Think of the money though... think of the money....

Champions league next season :D

Flamers

Thanks Flamers. I need cheering up after that.

Ultimately, we just weren't quite good enough this season. We played 64 games in all competitions, which is a great deal. Next season, I need to focus on bringing in more quality so that we are better able to compete over so many matches.

So desperately unlucky! Champions League money and football next season, only a matter of time :D COYS!

Cheers SnakeXe. It sucks but the Champions League money, I'm hoping, will help me in the transfer market!

Ah man that is so unlucky . . . . and you lost to Stoke as well

I know. Nobby will be in any minute. :D

Archived