Tina's Super Saints of Paisley

gavrenwick

Good to have you back, Spiro. Thanks for the kinds you and matt, both.

FALKIRK

Chairman: Martin Ritchie

Stadium: The Falkirk Stadium (8,000)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 10th (9-11-18, 38 points)

Top Scorer: Steve Lovell (8)

Manager: Steffi Rheinheimer

Captain: Darren Barr

Summer Transfers

In: Elliot Omozusi (Fulham, Free), Flavien Belson (MK Dons, Free)

Out: None

Net Spend: £0

Falkirk struggled and struggled and struggled all of last season, but eventually made it when Inverness got beaten on the final day of the season. It was a less than impressive season by all standards, and ex-manager Eddie May lost his job in an attempt to freshen things up. Former Germany women’s player Steffi Rheinheimer takes control of a side favoured for the drop, and she will need to establish a strong philosophy quickly if they are to remain an SPL side. Belson and Omozusi are the only players to join Falkirk, but bigger players are needed as the side just isn’t strong enough. The strikeforce looks weak, and with Rheinheimer being a former striker herself, she will need to bolster that for part of the team for definite.

HAMILTON ACADEMICAL

Chairman: Ronnie MacDonald

Stadium: New Douglas Park (6,038)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 9th (12-5-21, 41 points)

Top Scorer: Simon Mensing, James McCarthy, Richard Offiong (6)

Manager: Billy Reid

Captain: Alex Neil

Summer Transfers

In: Kristiyan Dobrev (Loko Sofia, £35k), Joe Keenan (Hibernian, Free), Shaun Newton (Leicester City, Free)

Out: Grant Evans (Stirling Albion, Season-Loan)

Net Spend: £35k

Billy Reid did an excellent job of keeping Hamilton up last season with a rather weak squad, and has moved quickly to bring some decent players to New Douglas Park. Dobrev and Newton are very good players with bags of experience, while Keenan played a fair amount of games in the SPL last season with Hibs. The squad, compared with Falkirk’s, is much bigger in depth and that can only bode well for Reid and his men. There is the chance of a few more players to come into the club, but they aren’t essential to the side staying up. They will more than likely be down there, but the success last season can only sit well for this one.

HEARTS OF MIDLOTHIAN

Chairman: Vladimir Romanov

Stadium: Tynecastle Stadium (17,402)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 3rd (16-11-11, 59 points)

Top Scorer: Bruno Aguiar (7)

Manager: Csaba Laszlo

Captain: Michael Stewart

Summer Transfers

In: Kiki Musampa (Willem II, Free)

Out: Andrew Driver (Stoke City, £1.6m), Matthew Park (Ross County, Season-Loan), Arvydas Novikovas (Watford, Season-Loan), Danny Thomson (Macclesfield Town, Season-Loan)

Romanov continues to mess around with everything Hearts based, but Laszlo did an excellent job in getting Hearts up to third and into Europe last season. This season they lost their prize asset in the form of Driver going to Stoke, but with Musampa coming in they have already filled the gap. The problem now is maintaining their challenge on 3rd place, and with Aberdeen looking good, they will have a real fight on their hands. Laszlo has spoken of his discontent at being at Hearts, mainly for the staff higher than him at the club. It’s expected that more players will join, and one thing they desperately need is someone who can scores, considering their top scorer last season had just seven goals, and their top scoring striker had just two.

Tina lowered the paper and helped herself to an apple that lay waiting to be eaten on her desk. Valter came in with youth coach Frazer Robertson as she got half way through it. There had been a mid-afternoon Reserve game, St Mirren playing Celtic.

"Really disappointing that," muttered Frazer.

"What was? I'll take it we lost?" asked Tina, throwing the remaining piece of apple away.

"Aye we lost two-one, despite Higdon putting us in front. Really disappointing. They had a very strong squad out though, with Samaras and N'Guemo getting their goals, pompous buggers."

Tina smiled to herself. She continued to read the article in front of her.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HIBERNIAN

Chairman: Rod Petrie

Stadium: Easter Road Stadium (17,400)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 6th (11-14-13, 47 points)

Top Scorer: Derek Riordan (12)

Manager: John Hughes

Captain: Chris Hogg

Summer Transfers

In: David Castedo (Levante, Free)

Out: Calum Burns (St Mirren, Free)

Hibernian had a fairly decent 2008-2009 season, and will be looking to finish higher than the 6th place cut off line in the coming one. John Hughes has a lot to work with at Easter Road, and there is already talk that he is more than happy with his current squad. With just one player coming in on a free transfer and no big names leaving, John already has the basis of a fairly decent squad to make a push on the top four. The loss of Steven Fletcher last season was massive for Hibs, but with Nish, Anthony Stokes and Derek Riordan still on the books, the strike force should hold up for them.

KILMARNOCK

Chairman: Michael Johnston

Stadium: Rugby Park (18,128)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 8th (12-8-18, 44 points)

Top Scorer: Kevin Kyle (8)

Manager: Jim Jefferies

Captain: Kevin Kyle

Summer Transfers

In: Joachim Fernandez (Free)

Out: David McAuliffe (Kilwinning Rangers, Season-Loan), Iain Flannigan (Ross County, Season-Loan)

Kilmarnock are a side struggling to find any rhythm in the SPL. After a rather disappointing 8th place finish last season, they needed to head out into the transfer market in terms of bolstering the side. Jim Jefferies hasn’t really done that so far, 35 year old Joachim Fernandez the only player to come in to the side. His signature hasn’t really wowed the fans as they expected a few more of interest to come in. They’ve done well to keep the players they do have, even if the squad is far from strong enough to challenge the top eight this season.

"I didn't even know that Killie had brought Fernandez in," said Tina without taking her eyes off the page. Valter was still in her office working on his notes. He typed a few words in on Google before replying.

"It only happened this morning," he said, "They thrashed the deal out through the night according to SkySports."

Tina smiled, "Sounds about right. I'm still shocked at how little is being spent this summer."

Valter shrugged, "The money just isn't there I guess."

MOTHERWELL

Chairman: John Boyle

Stadium: Fir Park (13,677)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 7th (13-9-16, 48 points)

Top Scorer: David Clarkson (13)

Manager: Jim Gannon

Captain: Stephen Craigan

Summer Transfers

In: Khalilou Fadiga (Germinal Beerschot, Free), Gavin Williams (Watford, Free)

Out: Mark Smith (Albion Rovers, Season-Loan)

Motherwell enjoyed a nice 7th place finish last season, ending up with more points than 6th placed Hibs. They also earned a European place thanks to the Fair Play league, but as you already know they have crashed out since then to AS Roma. Jim Gannon has a good squad in place at Fir Park, but the loss of David Clarkson towards the end of last season could be monumental. John Sutton and Lukas Jutkiewicz have the world on their shoulders this season with a rather understaffed strike force, but will no doubt relish the challenge. Gannon has bolstered his midfield well with two freebies, both experienced players with good skill, but the lack of men up front could be the biggest problem for them this season.

RANGERS

Chairman: Alastair Johnston

Stadium: Ibrox (51,082)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 1st (26-8-4, 86 points)

Top Scorer: Kris Boyd (27)

Manager: Hristo Stoichkov

Captain: David Weir

Summer Transfers

In: None

Out: Archie Campbell (Tottenham Hotspur, £12k), Rory Loy (Rochdale, Season-Loan), Steven Whittaker (Sevilla, £1.9mil), Steven Smith (Hull City, £230k)

Ibrox was buzzing last season as Rangers pipped their Glaswegian rivals to the title by a mere four points. Hristo Stoichkov did well in masterminding that after the three defeats Walter Smith experienced early at the start. Hristo doesn’t seem to have gained any transfer money though from Chairman Johnston, but as of yet he could be biding his time on big deals. The loss of Whittaker is a big one for Hristo, the full back making 54 appearances in his two seasons with the club. No-one else of real note other than Steve Smith has left, leaving Hristo in the market for a pair of wingbacks.

ST JOHNSTONE

Chairman: Geoff Brown

Stadium: McDiarmid Park (10,673)

2008-9 Record

Scottish First Division: 1st (17-14-5, 65 points)

Top Scorer: Steven Milne (14)

Manager: Derek McInnes

Captain: Kevin Rutkiewicz

Summer Transfers

In: None

Out: Johnny Lindsay (Released), Mark Durnan (Released), Ross Alexander (Released), Richard McIntosh (Free, Basingstoke Town), Neil Duffy (Released)

St Johnstone did everything they could to capitalise on the rapid downfall of Tina Powell’s Livingston last season, and they managed it when they sealed the First Division title. Now they’re back in the SPL, but they are looking extremely weak. No new players have come through the doors at McDiarmid Park, and they are left squaring up against Tina Powell once more as she leads the boys at St Mirren. Thankfully for St Johnstone none of their better performers from last season have been picked up by any bigger clubs, so that leaves McInnes with a nicely rounded squad. New players will still need to arrive if they are to harbour hopes of staying up, something St Mirren have quickly moved to do.

ST MIRREN

Chairman: Stewart Gilmour

Stadium: St Mirren Park (8,016)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 11th (9-10-19, 37 points)

Top Scorer: Andy Dorman (10)

Manager: Tina Powell

Captain: Paul Wotton

Summer Transfers

In: Alejandro Caiaffa (Livingston, Free), Keaghan Jacobs (Livingston, Free), Kyle Jacobs (Livingston, Free), Sheldon Jacobs (Livingston, Free), Devon Jacobs (Livingston, Free), Kenan Kodro (Real Sociedad, Free), Fabrice Fernandes (Havre AC, Free), Ciro Immobile (Juventus, Season-Loan fee £325k), Ricardo Vaz Te (Bolton Wanderers, £1.1mil), Edixon Perea (Gremio, £750k), Edgar Davids (Ajax, Free), Febian Brandy (Manchester United, Season-Loan fee £190k), Paul Wotton (Southampton, £9k), Brahim Hemdani (Rangers, Free), Vincent Degre (Lazio, £170k), Antonio Calderon (Jaen, £45k), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland, £775k)

Out: Craig Dargo (Released), Paul Quinn (Ayr United, Season-Loan), Jon McShane (Sunderland, £375k), Ally Love (Ayr United, Season-Loan), Chris McQuade (Mansfield Town, £4.5K), Sean Burns (Sunderland, £240k)

Net Spend: £2.675mil

What a busy few months it has been since Tina Powell arrived in Paisley. A whole plethora of players have joined the side, sparking a whole upheaval of the team. An excellent selection of players has signed for St Mirren, including the legendary Edgar Davids and Fabrice Fernandes. Powell has certainly delved deep for her players as she seeks to strengthen a side that survived by the skin of their teeth on goal difference. They have also progressed well in Europe since the cup final appearance last season, somehow finding a way past PSV Eindhoven to steal a tie against AS Roma in the next week or so. It’s going to be an interesting season, but survival is the first and foremost priority and they must surely be in a prime position to at least finish above McInnes’ boys from St Johnstone.

Tina smiled to herself as she finished reading the article. Reading about her own signings made her proud of what she had accomplished. St Mirren should stay up this season; they certainly now had a fantastic chance.

"I think we're going to do okay this season," she said to Valter. "I mean just look at who we have managed to bring here. Some excellent players."

There was a grunt from the Italian as she carried on, "St Johnstone look extremely underpowered to survive this season, and I'm thinking Falkirk are likely to be down there with them and us come next April. Are you even listening to me?" she asked, swivveling in her chair.

There had been no reply as Valter was asleep. "Lazy bugger," she muttered.

Tuesday 11th August 2009

When your physio enters the office, you know some bad news isn’t far off. Tina frowned as the senior physio John McCreadie waltzed in, notes in hand. He looked a little flustered having navigated the three levels to get to Tina. On some days though, you just don’t want to be bothered so much.

What I can do for you?” asked Tina almost immediately.

Just been with Chris Smith,” he replied, offering her a sheet on the young goalkeeper’s progress. “His damaged cruciate ligaments are still a long while from any sort of recovery plan, but for now he is doing nicely. He’s going to be coming back once every two weeks to see me to ensure that the injury is indeed recovering rather than becoming worse or not coming along at all.

Tina nodded as she processed all the information. “Is it possible to set a realistic comeback date for him yet?

The physio shook his head, “Not in the slightest if I am honest. One person I can offer you that on is Carlos Castarnado. He damaged his shoulder last week in training, but it is healing fine.

And his comeback date?

I’d say probably around the Kilmarnock game, start of September at the latest.

Thanks John,” Tina said as she took the papers from him.

I’ll get back to you if anything else occurs, but I can say right now that you should have a clean bill of health for the first game of the season on Saturday.

Tina smiled at hearing that; it was the best news she could have hoped for as a manager waiting for the first league game of the season. She thanked John and watched him leave before slouching into her seat. She booted her laptop up to check her emails, but was once again hounded by another visitor. She was in the mood for a quiet day, but it obviously wasn’t meant to be especially with a job like this. This time it was Jackie coming in.

Ian Currie faxed this over from South America, Tina,” she said, planting more paperwork on her desk. He was still in Brazil looking for possible recruitments in the defensive areas, but his list this time weren’t too encouraging.

First on his list of just two men was former Newcastle United and Lyon defender Claudio Cacapa. Claudio is still a good defender, but age isn’t on his side and it’s more than likely that his wage will be just too much for the Paisley club’s limit as it stands right now. He is also error prone, but for this league would still be a force at the back.

His second option was Thiago Gosling, a 30 year old central defender currently playing for Cruzeiro. His wages were definitely out of St Mirren’s league, currently earning twelve and a half grand at the Brazilian side. Despite being well into his prime now, he has only 87 appearances to his name, and as such is not as experienced as one first might think. Tina frowned at both the options, disappointed with a week’s work at someone of Ian’s standards. She made a note to call him later on and let him know.

Jackie was still lingering in Tina’s office. “Brahim Hemdani is outside,” she said, almost waiting for an angry reaction. She didn’t get what she expected as Tina simply nodded.

Send him in,” she replied before composing herself. If he wasn’t in a better mood then there would simply be no place for him in the squad anymore. Having troublemakers is just no good for the team. He waltzed in like he had done no wrong.

Thanks for seeing me,” he said in what Tina perceived as a cocky tone.

Don’t mention it. I expect you have come to apologise?

Brahim laughed right in Tina’s face, “Why would I do that? I’m still not in the wrong here. You promised me European football and I haven’t got it. I think it’s you who owes me an apology, if anything.

Tina almost choked at his words. How he dared to mess around by skipping training and consistently moaning about decisions made, he now reversed the roles. It was extremely unfair, and it certainly seemed like a stupid decision on his behalf.

Brahim,” said Tina, composing herself and not being angry, “You know there isn’t anything I can do. We have been through this already, and it seems to me like you aren’t paying attention. I made a mistake as I was led to believe you could change European squads and not just make changes to them. There is a status quo we need to fulfil; surely you can accept that for now until we hopefully make the latter stages?

No. In my eyes, Tina, it just speaks volumes that you failed to take note of your duties as manager. You led me on when signing me onto the club. As such I want out. I want you to cancel my contract, with compensation.

Tina lost it. “Well you’ll have a hard chance.

Brahim frowned, “Why?

Because you’re fired,” said Tina, emotionless.

The morning request of a quiet day flew away as the door of her office slammed.

Wednesday 12th August 2009

Wednesday opened up with news that Aberdeen had finally completed the capture of former FC Istres winger-cum-forward Simon Feindouno. The uncapped Guinea man has signed a two-year deal to become part of Mark McGhee’s side, earning himself £775 a week. McGhee had been courting him for a while before the deal was finally pushed through last night. There was another free signing in the morning, Motherwell snatching Vratislav Gresko out from under the noses of Dundee United. The former Internazionale and Blackburn had been unattached since his release from Bayer Leverkusen.

The main talk is that of the sacking of Brahim Hemdani. Tina had not been looking to what would be said, but they actually looked favourably upon her. There had been no statement from Brahim, but that was mainly because Gilmour had threatened him with no severance pay if he spoke out in the next six months. His actual payment stands at £200,000, a figure Gilmour was less than happy at working out. He had lost faith in Hemdani just as quickly as Tina had, and not one player felt dismay at his loss.

Tina had the chance to forget all of yesterday’s events with a whole plethora of phone calls and faxes regarding reserve winger Steven Robb. The transfer listed man has happily expressed his wishes to stay and fight or move on, an attitude Tina wished Brahim had taken onboard. Six clubs made offers on the same day, all at the same value of £120,000. Leeds, Bristol Rovers, Southampton, Doncaster, St Johnstone and Notts County all deciding to make a bid three hours after Peterborough United had made the first move. So with seven clubs all courting him, Robb seemed to know that his time at St Mirren was up after only a year. He held no bitterness and it was unlikely he would be back at St Mirren Park as he left to meet with some club managers.

Tina headed down to Brechin City’s Glebe Park as noon arrived; travelling with the U-19’s to watch them play Aberdeen in the U-19’s First Round of the cup. Tina kept quiet as David Longwell conversed with Valter about possible players who would be included in Valter’s reserve team game next week. Valter sat with Tina in the stand as the game kicked off.

Do you think I made a mistake with Brahim?” she asked, not even turning to look at face Valter. He heard her clearly though, as with only 33 people present there was hardly much noise.

If I’m honest,” he replied, watching as Mark McLennan fired one just wide, “I don’t think you did. The guy obviously had some attitude with you, the club or someone else in Paisley. He wasn’t right for the team and if he had stayed then it is highly likely he would have caused trouble.

Tina frowned, “He said some things.

Valter turned to her this time, “Like what?

He called my managerial talent into question, and he had every right. I made a call and it backfired, and it isn’t the first time. I’ve completely turned the squad over and after reading that article the other day I’m really worried about this season.

Valter frowned, “You know how I get annoyed when you come out with crap like this, Tina.

It’s how I am feeling right now. I’m making bad judgements and I shouldn’t be.

If you didn’t you wouldn’t be human,” said Valter as Domenico Gibson gave Aberdeen the lead. “It’s how people know to improve.

But in this job you just can’t be doing it often. Don’t you agree?

Do you think every manager gets through his career flawless, error-free? You’d be seriously mistaken.

Tina shrugged. “I haven’t felt right since the whole Bekim thing,” she muttered in reply. The mere mentioning of his name had been the first in a long time. Bekim, a memory that will never be forgotten.

Well you will need to be learning to forget it,” spoke Cassie from behind Tina. Tina smiled at the sight of her partner. She gave her the longest kiss ever, much to Valter’s rolling of eyes.

I hope you didn’t hear much of that,” said Tina, speaking after Aberdeen had assailed a 3-0 nil lead in just ten minutes.

I heard enough, and I have faith that Valter will fill me in with the rest later. We will discuss this at home anyway. Right now I would love a pie as I've had a hell of a night at work, and I think you two wouldn’t say no to one either.

Valter smiled, “Most honest statement I have heard since we got here,” he said, throwing a look at Tina.

Tina feigned defeat to the Italian, but the feelings wouldn’t go away. Not for now, at least.

Thanks as ever 10-3. :thup:

As Tina and Cassie finally reached home at around 4pm, there was the feeling that something wasn’t quite right. Tina and Cassie both felt it, but had opted to avoid the subject until they reached home. The game against Aberdeen hadn’t gone so well as the St Mirren U-19’s struggled to overturn the deficit, but pulled two back to make it look closer and finish the game 3-2.

Cassie wasted no time in getting to the point as they got in the house. Akira had been left at Cassie’s parents house, and now would stay there for the night. “Come on, out with it now Tina.

Out with what?” asked Tina, pulling a beer from the fridge.

You know exactly what. Why are you suddenly bringing up all this Bekim sh*t again?

Why shouldn’t I? It only happened a few months back. Maybe I just haven’t exactly got over it?” snapped Tina, having known this would happen she had weighed up her argument already.

Cassie raged, “How you feel? How the hell do you think I still feel Tina? For a living I work with dead bodies, but yet I managed to turn someone into one. I killed someone to protect you, I killed someone Tina! There isn’t a minute the day goes by when I don’t think about seeing his face. He knew that me shooting him would still tear our life up, that was his plan all along. And look, he’s succeeding in doing that from the grave still. This man has destroyed a fair chunk of our time together and I am now quite frankly getting tired of it. I want to live just a normal happy life and I’m just not getting it. Something has to change, Tina.

Tina was shocked at her partner’s response. For one she hadn’t known that these feelings were occupying her head, and for two she was sure that Cassie was issuing her with an ultimatum. “What do you mean ‘something has to change?’ Cassie? Are you trying to tell me that you don’t want to be with me? Because it certainly feels that way. You knew how hectic my life was going to be with my job, I thought you were okay with that and just wanted to be with me.

I didn’t think it would involve shooting an Albanian for f*cks sake. MY life has been nothing close to normal since we got together. I want to come home and think ‘My gorgeous girlfriend will be here; I can have a glass of wine and settle down in front of the television with her’. I’m tired, Tina. We don't even share our feelings anymore, or open up to each other properly. How has it got like this?

Tina was close to crying now, her eyes welling up with tears. “What are you trying to say? I get the distinct feeling that we are breaking up,” she said, struggling now to keep calm.

I don’t know Tina. Something needs to change for us to be happy properly, and with your job being as high profile as it is, I just don’t see it happening.

Cassie, you’ve always known how it would be. Why is it now that you are telling me this?

Because I’ve tried to be happy within this whole thing, and now I realise I’m not.

I love you, Cassie. Please don’t do this,” muttered Tina.

I’m sorry, Tina. I love you so, so much, but I think it’s best we call time on this before one of us does something we regret. I will always love you, but I can’t go on being second best to everything else. It isn’t fair,” she replied, a tear rolling down her cheek.

Tina turned and went to the bedroom upstairs. She locked the door and cried herself to sleep.

Wow, what a response! You'll have to continue reading to see how it all goes, but tenthree shhh, you just copy me ;)! I had arc set for this way back, it'll become apparent too :D

Thursday 13th August 2009

It was just two days until St Mirren kicked off their league season, and Tina felt abysmal. Cassie had left the house while Tina slept, but she had work, so Tina had no idea if she was coming back tonight. She hadn’t even bothered to put make up on this morning, something that Valter noticed immediately as did Gilmour and everyone else that saw her. She didn’t care; it mattered little to her right now. She kept reliving the memories of the whole of last night in her head, but was snapped out of it when young goalkeeper Jake Cunningham entered. It wasn’t good news for him, either, and Tina was in no mind for delivering it to him. But here she was, it was her job after all.

Sit down, Jake,” she said, “Would you like a drink?

The Geordie born keeper shook his head, “I can imagine the news isn’t good, especially when you’re offering me a drink.

Tina tried her best to give a smile, but one that didn’t seem sarcastic or unkind. “It isn’t, I can only offer you my honesty on that, Jake.

I’ll probably hazard a guess that I’m being released?

Tina simply nodded.

I guessed right then. I had a feeling when Vincent arrived that my time would be up anyway, he’s a great fella.

Yeah, you’re right. With Mark, Paul and Vincent at the club, along with Leemans and Castarnado, your chances are going to be too limited this season. It’s only fair for you to move on.

Jake seemed to understand, “It’s fine. At least I am match fit and can hopefully find a club pretty quickly.

Tina smiled at him. His enthusiasm wasn’t wavering, and he deserved to find a club pretty quickly. “I am really sorry, Jake. It just would be much better for you to be elsewhere now. I know I wouldn’t want to sit in sixth place in a queue.

I don’t mind. I’ll probably just move back down with my parents for now.

Tina nodded, “I’ll have the finance department sort out your severance package, which is likely to be around four grand considering your current wage and contract remaining.

It was funny how his mood changed at the mention of that amount of money, but that amount would keep him sorted until he found a new club or a job at least. “That’ll be more than enough,” he replied before getting up. “It’s a shame we couldn’t have had a better working relationship, but I wish you all the best, Tina. You’re a decent manager and will go far I know.

Tina smiled and shook his hand. “Good luck Jake,” she said, and with that he was gone.

Tina took the moment to settle down in her chair and close her eyes. They still stung from the amount of crying she did last night, but she was determined to not get upset again. Gilmour came in to see her after about an hour, but the look on his face didn’t seem to be a good one.

Tina, we need to talk,” he said with a sour expression.

What’s wrong?

I just found out that you cancelled Hemdani’s contract. I hope you realise that it will cost us two hundred and ten thousand. Do you think we are made of money up here, Tina?

I’m sorry, Stewart, but he needed to leave and as quickly as possible. If he’d have continued his one man retribution against me, it’s likely the team will have suffered morale problems. I couldn’t risk that, Stewart, not with the season start so close.

Gilmour looked unimpressed, “Be careful of the decisions you make Tina. If by the end of the season we come to regret losing that money, on your head it’ll be.

He said no more and left in a foul mood. Tina felt so close to crying again. Nothing was going right.

Friday 14th August 2009

The last thing Tina wanted was a press conference about tomorrow’s game against Hibernian, but here she was. Once again no-make up, she cared little for how she looked. She was a football manager, not a model.

The opening day of the domestic season is marked on every fans calendar to signal the end of the close season. Everyone is raring to go, but are you excited?” asked a journalist from BBC Radio Five Live. Tina hadn’t seen him before, but he looked easy enough to get along with.

Of course I’m excited. My team is ready to show how much they have improved from last season and to hopefully secure a great result in our opening game. I’ve been looking forward to this, and here it is at long last.

Next in line was a familiar face, “How important is it for your team to start well against Hibernian, and how much are you thinking of the game against Roma next week?” asked Mark Shields.

I think we have a chance to start well, but we need to be careful about how we approach it as Hibs are a very good team. Roma next week is very important to us, but I am confident in how we have recruited and given ourselves a better chance of performing in all competitions without worry of injury or suspension.

Mark continued, “With it being the start of the season, would you agree that with no basis of form for either side, it is going to be hard to gauge how to approach the game itself?

I’m not so sure. Hibs have made few changes to their side from last season, so it’s not so difficult to know where the threats are coming from. They are without Steven Fletcher, so I’m hoping that will play into our favour.

World Soccer Magazine rounded the questioning off, “Who do personally think will win the SPL this year?

Tina managed an almost too obviously fake smile, “I decline to say. I think it would be hard to look past the Old Firm, though. That’s all you’re getting from me,” she said.

Simon Love from the Paisley Football Daily; It looks like it is going to be another uphill struggle to keep St Mirren up this season. How do you rate your chances?

We have every chance of doing so if we apply ourselves well and make sure we scrap for every point we can earn. Come the end of the season it’s always the games you wasted that you look back on, and I don’t want there to be too many of them.

Satisfied with the questions she had answered, the press began to dissipate. Tina was thankful for that, she had still not gotten over the events of Wednesday night, and hadn’t spoken to Cassie since. She only assumed that she was staying with her parents. Akira was back with Tina, but even she was seemingly ruing her absence. As Tina reached Jackie’s desk outside her own office, her mobile rang.

Tina Powell,” she said with a lack of interest for whoever may have been calling. Surprisingly it wasn’t someone she expected.

It’s Derek McInnes here, Tina. I was calling about the availability of Michael Higdon. I know, or rather guess, that he doesn’t feature in your first team plans, and I’m calling to make you an offer to loan him from you.

Tina sat down, thinking. A loan move for Higdon would most certainly be the best option. As Brandy and Immobile were only on loans from their respective clubs, Tina would need him for next season. A loan move to an SPL club could be just the right thing for him, and with the weakness of St Johnstone’s forward line he would certainly get time under McInnes.

If you send me a fax after this call outlining the idea and basics of your loan deal, I’ll certainly give it consideration. He won’t be eligible for the cups or for games against us, of course.

As expected,” replied McInnes, “I’ll get the fax sent over immediately,” he said before ending the call.

Tina leaned back into her chair before closing her eyes. All she could see was Cassie, but that had to change. Her mind needed to be on tomorrow’s match, so she tried her hardest to purge all thoughts of Cassie out of her mind. Upon feeling good enough to continue, Tina called Valter up to decide on the first eleven for tomorrow. Tina needed SOMETHING to go right this week.

Saturday 15th August 2009

Hibernian (7th, 0-0-0) vs. St Mirren (12th, 0-0-0)

Easter Road Stadium

Clydesdale Bank Premier League

GK; Vincent Degre

DR; Michael Parkhurst

DL; Antonio Calderon

DC; Paul Wotton ©

DC; Lee Mair

MC; Alej Caiaffa

MC; Andy Dorman

MR; Fabrice Fernandes

ML; Ricardo Vaz Te

ST; Edixon Perea

ST; Billy Mehmet

Subs; Paul Gallacher, Chris Innes, Jack Ross, Keaghan Jacobs, Edgar Davids, Ciro Immobile, Tom Brighton

And here it was. Everyone had been waiting, anticipating and worrying about the start of the season, and after the whole pre-season period, it had arrived. John Hughes had spoke last night about playing Derek Riordan and that itself prompted Tina to keep Mair on and also bring Parkhurst in on the right for Ross. The decision to include Caiaffa came as a surprise to many, who saw Hugh Murray as the preferred option, but Tina needed creativity for Perea to work off.

Dorman was back in the side after his groin injury, and that was good for everyone. Last season’s top scorer would definitely want more in this campaign, and he was in good mood at the teams mid-day meet for the coach to Edinburgh.

I am ready to kick some Hibernian ass,” said Dorman as he loaded his, and others’, bags onto the coach.

Get in line, Andy,” laughed Wotton.

Andy smiled before getting onto the coach with his captain. Tina followed them up and sat at the front, Valter parking his backside next to her. “We need to talk,” he said, fastening his seatbelt. Mairi was the last one on, and the coach set off when the driver received the confirmation.

That’s the third time I have heard that statement in three days,” muttered Tina in response, “What’s up?

Valter frowned, “I’ve spoke with Cassie. She tells me you two have split up...

Tina froze. She at least had the confirmation now, defying her hopes that it was just a massive row. The thing that grated her more was how Cassie had told Valter and not her. “I wouldn’t know, I haven’t seen her in four days and she hasn’t contacted me. You know more than I do at this stage.

You don’t seem that bothered though, Tina. What on earth has happened?

It really isn’t important right now, Valter,” Tina sighed. She turned away from the assistant to stare out of the window. Valter shrugged and began to hand out instructions for the players. It was a new system employed by Tina to give her more time with the boys before the game. As everyone looked upon what they were expected to do, Valter returned to sit with Tina.

I am here if you want to talk about it, Tina. You know that,” he said sincerely.

I’m fine!” she snapped back, “Please, stop asking.

I just want to know you’re okay. If you say you are, then you are. That’s enough for me.

Good, because I need your head to be in the zone. We have a game soon,” she muttered.

Valter sighed, “I’m ready for the game, Tina, but are you?

Tina didn’t reply because she didn’t want to admit the answer. She wasn’t in the zone, and she by far wasn’t ready for today’s match. Her behaviour and approach today would define her as a manager and a person, which she understood.

I might not be now, but by the time we reach Easter Road, I know I will be. Don't forget that here, with you guys, I am a manager first and foremost.

Valter refrained from continuing the current topic. "Are you happy with the attack minded bench we have?"

Tina nodded, "Very. I want at least a point today, and if needs must, one of them might need to come on and score an important goal."

As SkySports set up their cameras and began their broadcasting, the teams lined up. Hibs had enjoyed a less than impressive pre-season campaign, but that is what they are for after all. Practice.

John Hughes seemed to have a moment though as the teamsheet came through, and for some reason he had put Colin Nish on the right wing. He and Riordan would be supporting Benjelloun up front, but there were no real surprise inclusions to his team. Valter handled the team talk, and the game was kicking off before long. Tina had set the tactic up to bring Dorman into the game much more, allowing Caiaffa to sit back and pump passes forward.

Mehmet and Vaz Te combined excellently to break forward just thirty seconds in, and Mehmet fired a low shot towards goal, Ma Kalambay spooning a save to keep it out. It had the Hibs crowd on their feet ready to yell at their keeper, but he escaped thanks to McCann’s clearance.

His clearance didn’t get very far though, and Dorman played it back through for Vaz Te to run on to. He only had to poke it past Ma Kalambay, but his timing was just short as the Hibs man scrambled over the ball.

Hibernian were slow coming out of the docks, but it didn’t prevent Castedo hitting a long ball over Mair’s head. Nish broke past him, but Caiaffa was on hand to track him and make the clearance. Degre seemed relieved to see it go. Nish continued his unrelenting attack on Calderon’s left side of defence, but having cleared it, Riordan just fired a shot over. The warning bells were beginning to ring.

But as Tina sat on the sidelines, no expression on her face, things swung around so quickly. An unmerciful counter attack saw Perea break down the right. He needed to pick out his cross perfectly, and he did just that. Dorman peeled off Hogg, and flicked a powerful header into the bottom left of the net. St Mirren were in front, and Hughes was reeling.

It seemed to spice Dorman up, and in the way you can only dream of. He flashed a thirty yard drive just wide of Kalambay’s post, but he seemed to get a feint touch on the ball. He got lucky again as Mair won the corner, his header going in had Kalambay not fallen on top of the ball to prevent it going in.

Now when you come to want perfection, you never expect it to arrive in such style. It was also a three stage sit up, something you’ll understand in a second. Mehmet somehow kept the ball in on the left side, and he ran a couple of yards before playing it in to Perea’s path. The forward immediately knew what to do, and Tina found herself sitting up now. He flicked it ever so slightly past McCann, Dorman running onto it. Tina was on her feet now, and as he slid the ball under the onrushing Kalambay, Easter Road sank into despair, barring the visiting fans.

Tina found herself smiling for the first time in the day, “It’s great to see something other than a frown on your face,” said Valter, relieved she was slightly happier now.

Hibernian were sinking without a trace, and Hughes was fuming in his technical area. Tina responded by continuing her cool, unrelenting demeanour, and felt the psychological battle was going her way. The other thing going her way was Caiaffa. His passing was absolutely superb, and was the main reason St Mirren found their way forward so effectively. Another long ball by him allowed Mehmet in on goal, but his shot was palmed wide by Kalambay. A third goal in the half wouldn’t bode well for his chances of keeping his spot. Caiaffa’s Colombian team mate was just as awesome, Perea breaking past three Hibs players to cross for Vaz Te. His header went over, but the efficiency of the attacking was just a joy to behold.

A goal for Hibs before half time would be unfair and definitely undeserved after being outplayed for every period of the game. Vaz Te intercepted a corner that Wotton had given away, and bombed down with Fernandes by his side. Only one of them had to put the ball away, but Kalambay redeemed his poorer showing with two close range saves from the pair. They laughed it off after, but if Hibs manage to pull back into the game at any point, Tina won’t look so kindly on it.

As Steve Conroy blew the whistle for half time, no-one moved quicker than John Hughes who vanished down the tunnel in haste. St Mirren were forty five minutes away from sealing a very important opening day win. Only they could change the outcome now.

"I didn't see it being like this," said Tina as she welcomed her players off the pitch. Valter smiled at her.

"Think you can handle the half time talk?"

"I think I owe it to them for that performance."

As Easter Road sat in numbed silence, the fans moped as Tina held her team talk. “You have been excellent out there, guys. I can’t praise you enough for how you have handled the threats of Nish and Riordan. Wotton you have done a terrific job in keeping Benjelloun quiet, so keep it up. Let’s not allow Hibs a foothold back in this game because they do not deserve it. You deserve the win, and maybe even a few more goals. Go do yourselves, me and the fans justice by sealing this game today.

The players seemed buoyed by the talk, and Valter was happy that Tina had done herself proud. Dealing with a break up is never easy, but she was coping well enough, even if she was slightly snappy.

Hughes had made an instant change, putting Anthony Stokes on for Colin Nish. The team now looked how the fans expected before the game, and Stokes was immediately in the action as he beat Calderon on the left. He put the cross in, and Rankin won the ball, sending his header over a happy Degre bar.

Stokes already looks a handful,” said Tina, weighing up her options. He would either need to close down quicker, or hold the guy off. Neither option was liked by Tina, but time would tell if he could get the grasp of Stokes, and hopefully not by his shirt. St Mirren broke though, and with ease.

Caiaffa launched the ball forward for Mehmet to run on to. He pulled all the defenders towards him, allowing Perea the chance to open up space. The pass found him easily, but his strike was weak and it didn’t trouble Kalambay.

The game quietened down as Hibs struggled to find rhythm in getting forward. Stokes was their only threat, but Calderon was just about managing to deal with the ex-Sunderland man. “Get Tom prepped,” said Tina, watching Mehmet struggle to form any partnership with Perea in the second half. He looked lost, to be honest. A Dorman effort allowed Kalambay to earn the ball, and his goalkick went out allowing Brighton to come on.

Hibs had the chance to pull a goal back when Stokes crossed in for Hogg, the defender sprawling to reach but sending it wide thanks to a Degre hand. The French keeper seemed determined to keep his record of clean sheets going, himself currently on three. Hibs were clutching at straws as the game moved along, their passes becoming hurried and rash. Hughes had resigned himself to the fury of the game, not happy with anything they did. “Let the fourth official know that Davids is coming on,” Tina motioned to Valter, the Italian nodding and moving out of the dugout.

Edgar Davids would be making his first appearance for St Mirren, and the travelling fans couldn’t wait to see a recognised star on their side. He had to wait a slight while though, Perea breaking on the right. His cross was excellent and it picked out Brighton amongst three defenders, but his header just looped over the bar. He also didn’t have a hand in the next pivotal point of the game.

A long ball clearance from Fernandes found Brighton and Perea two on three. The sub flicked a header on, and Perea then flicked it forward once more, completely taking the last two defenders out of the game. His turn of pace was magnificent, and he raced away, slotting the ball past a very upset Kalambay. Easter Road succumbed to the silence once more, but the cheer was huge. The game was St Mirrens’ now, Hibs without a prayer of coming back into it. Tina was beaming now, it was just too good to be seeing. No way did she expect such a win away from home.

Hughes made two changes after the goal, Kevin McBride and Lewis Stevenson coming on for Patrick Cregg and Darren McCormack. It didn’t help the team though as the challenges become silly and petty, giving St Mirren easy chances with well positioned freekicks. Hibs had a chance through Riordan to slightly spoil the day, but he spectacularly spooned it over from just two yards.

Immobile was set for a late introduction, but the substitution never occurred as Conroy ended the game and put Hibs out of their misery. Hughes offered a pleasant but slightly peeved handshake, but at least he wasn’t unsporting.

Today wasn’t a Hibs day; it was a Buddies day and the world suddenly seemed to brighten up a whole lot more.

Hibernian 0

St Mirren 3 (Dorman 12 [1st], 31 [2nd], Perea 75 [3rd])

Attendance; 16,303

MOTM; Andy Dorman

Just read this through (whilst I should be working !) and it is excellent.

I'm thinking I've spotted the way this story is going to go next, anyone else putting two and two together and getting 5 ? or 9 ? or 27 ?

Just read this through (whilst I should be working !) and it is excellent.

I'm thinking I've spotted the way this story is going to go next, anyone else putting two and two together and getting 5 ? or 9 ? or 27 ?

Actually i got 987.431.... but i'm stupid. Still liking this story although i have to admit i kinda saw the... lets call it free transfer move of Cassie coming lol

Your foreshadowing is letting you down gentlemen! At least I think... thanks for continued readership! :D

Martin Salkeld stood in front of Tina, the SkySports cameras beaming her to most of Scotland and England in High Definition.

Tina, no-one expected a victory of such ease and magnitude today. Did you expect such a result?

Tina smiled, “Not really. I thought Hibs would provide sterner opposition, but with it being the start of the season you can probably put it down to nerves. I’m very proud of how my team performed, Dorman especially doing the best job in midfield, holding it well and creating insane amounts of space for himself to score.

Dorman was a doubt to play, are you happy at how he has come into his scoring boots so early in the season?

I am. He will be the key in midfield this season. The partnerships that I have seen set between Murray, Caiaffa and Dorman are extremely encouraging and key to our chances this season of a decent finish.

Tina smiled as Andy Dorman came and stood next to her, “Andy,” said Martin, “How happy are you with your performance today?

The midfielder smiled, his tired red face speaking volumes for the amount of running he had done, “I am yeah. Last season was a great one for me being the clubs top scorer, and while I think Perea might have that this year, I’m going to try and push him all the way. I’m in front of him now anyway,” he said, smiling.

Well, you were awarded the man of the match, so Tina here will present you with these,” said Salkeld, the camera watching as Tina gave him the bottle of champagne and miniature trophy. The coverage returned to the commentators, and the cameraman headed turned his equipment off.

Well done, Andy,” said Tina. “You were our most important player today. Keep it up for us.

Andy smiled, “Anytime. Plus I have a bet with Edixon for that top scorer spot, I need to win his money.

Pittodrie Stadium experienced a surprise result as Aberdeen played host to Celtic. Tony Mowbray’s side struggled to get out of first gear and were penalised in the first half when Lee Miller tucked a home a penalty. Gary McDonald made it a two goal gap just before half time with a fine strike, and despite losing Ricky Foster with four minutes to go, Celtic mustered nothing in response.

Two of the weaker sides in the division squared up at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock hosting Hamilton. It was a game devoid of any real fire or scoring incentive, midfielder Gavin Skelton heading in the only goal of the game after just a half hour to seal a Killie win.

There wasn’t much happiness for Celtic fans either from the Rangers game at Ibrox, Falkirk the visiting side. It never looked like it could be Falkirk’s day as goalkeeper Robert Olejnik spilled the ball over his own line to put Rangers ahead. Lee McCulloch sealed a second thirty seven minutes in leaving the second half for Rangers to find a third and kill the game off. It came half way in, Kris Boyd slotting home to seal the simplest of wins for a dominant Rangers side.

McDiarmid Park saw the closest and more interesting of the games this week. St Johnstone played host to Motherwell, but were less than happy as the visitors took the lead through Jim O’Brien after fifteen minutes. Kevin Moon dragged Johnstone level, before Gavin Swankie put them in front. From that point it was all St Johnstone as Motherwell went quiet, Kenny Deuchar sealing a third thirty seconds into the second half. Motherwell came alive after but struggled to hit the target, Lukas Jutkiewicz heading home with a minute on the clock, but it wasn’t enough to save Motherwell the day as Johnstone took the points.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="Green"]| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Rangers       |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | +3    | 3     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
| 2nd   |       | St. Mirren    |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | +3    | 3     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 3rd   |       | Aberdeen      |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | +2    | 3     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 4th   |       | St. Johnstone |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 3     | 
| 5th   |       | Kilmarnock    |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | +1    | 3     | 
| 6th   |       | Dundee Utd    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 7th   |       | Hearts        |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 8th   |       | Motherwell    |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 0     | 
| 9th   |       | Hamilton      |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | -1    | 0     | 
| 10th  |       | Celtic        |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | -2    | 0     | 
| 11th  |       | Falkirk       |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 3     | -3    | 0     | 
[color="Red"]| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 12th  |       | Hibernian     |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 3     | -3    | 0     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]

Sunday 16th August 2009

Rangers were at the forefront of the transfer market today, but not doing that much to alleviate fans worries about lack of new players. On this occasion its Spanish 21 year old Toti, who signs for the blue half of Glasgow for a meagre £190,000. Stoichkov seems extremely limited in his scope for transfers, but with bids pending for Fabio Celestini and Latauro Acosta, then things might be looking up if they succeed in those ventures. One youngster to leave Rangers today was Andy Little, the Northern Ireland international heading to Clyde on a season-long loan

The afternoon saw the first game of the season for the two sides not in action yesterday, Dundee United hosting Romanov’s Hearts. It was a tough one for the pundits to decide on, but as soon as Dundee took the lead through Scott Robertson after just nine minutes, Hearts seemed to crawl into their shell. Laszlo did all he could to alter it, but Dundee sealed the win with eight minutes to go when Danny Swanson headed the ball home from a corner.

As Tina analysed some reports on AS Roma, Andy Millen waltzed into her office. He had a file in his hands, “These are the guys I recommend you get to replace Brahim, Tina, just like you asked me to come up with.

He handed the list to Tina, watching as she scanned the name. The first option was a Sierra Leonean named Medo, currently plying his trade with HJK in Finland. “At least he won’t need to adjust to the cold weather,” muttered Tina.

The second was a Burkinabe, Bekou Kere, currently in Belgium with Charleroi. He was definitely the more accomplished of the two, but his fee exceeded what Tina had left in her transfer kitty. He was out of bounds for that reason alone.

I recommend Kere, Tina, but I know the limits we have left with the budget. Myself playing the same positions in the past, I know that both of these guys would do the job well.

Tina smiled, “Make a bid for Medo. We can afford him, and if you support him, I’m willing to trust your judgement and take the gamble.

Millen smiled before heading down to the finance people to sort out a deal with HJK. Whether they accepted it would of course be another matter, but for now Tina turned her attention back to file she was reading. One man on the books of Roma was on-loan striker Zamblera, a blast from the past as he spent some time on loan with Livi last season. Tina remembered hoping to sign him up full time for her side if they reached the SPL; it all seemed like a distant memory now.

The file in question reported on Roma’s last friendly against lower league Italian side Grosseto. Roma were comfortable in the match, youngster Dieme grabbing the opener before new boy Tabare Viudez tapped home a second in the second half.

The referee for the match in Paisley would be Terje Hauge, a Norweigan who had yet to officiate a game this season. The weather report said heavy rainfall, something that didn’t put Tina in a good mood.

Heavy rain, forcing a slippery pitch, was the last thing that St Mirren needed against Daniele De Rossi and co.

Thanks SWalton. The wishing well is greatly appreciated :)

Monday 17th August 2009

Derek McInnes had the right idea for Michael Higdon, and with the deal suiting both sides, the English striker would be on his way to St Johnstone come the end of the day. If the guy succeeded in having a good season with the relegation favourites, then he would definitely be welcomed back to Paisley with the chance of first team football next season. For now, he needed to improve himself.

Today was all about the rumour mill, and it was on overdrive regarding Hristo Stoichkov and his undermanned Rangers side. Former Charlton and Crystal Palace defender Gonzalo Sorondo was top of the list, The Glasgow Football Paper running a story claiming that the current Internacional man was en-route to Glasgow for talks regarding a move. The defender was quick to reply, stating that he knew the club were looking into a possible move, but no agreement to hold talks had even been discussed.

The best story came from Rangers as well today, a leak having emerged from within Stoichkov’s own camp. The beans were spilt over a potential signing; Litex’s attacking midfielder Ivelin Popov. Litex seemed furious that anything had been mentioned without their consent or knowledge; they moved quickly to dispel the fact that anything was taking place. Stoichkov issued a statement about the disappointment expressed at tongues being used for the wrong reasons. His English didn’t come across too well in the interview.

I appreciate everything you have done for the club so far, Michael,” said Tina as she tried to gauge the opinion of her outbound striker, “But I feel that with the two loanees here, you are best suited to moving out on loan and coming back a fresher and more confident man.

Higdon nodded, “I have no qualms about playing for McInnes at St Johnstone. I’ll hopefully still be playing SPL football, so I really can’t complain. I do hope to come back with a chance at a first team spot next season.

Tina smiled. Michael was a model professional, and it was nice to just see someone acting like a human being for once. His humility was refreshing.

Well, here are the signed papers,” said Tina before she faxed them off to St Johnstone’s financial office. “I wish you all the best for the season, Michael. Come back in good form for us.

The pair shook hands before Michael left. Tina sat in her seat and rubbed her eyes. It had been a long week so far. Things were looking up, but they were about to crash down emphatically as Cassie walked into the office.

There was an awkward silence as she stood in the door frame, one foot tapping the floor and her lips being bitten. Both had no idea what to say to the other, worse so for Tina. She avoided eye contact the whole time.

Why are you here?” were the first words that spilled out, but they sounded much harsher than she intended.

I came to get that,” said Cassie, pointing at the laptop on the desk. She was right; it was hers after all. Tina had never gotten round to buying her own, which was now backfiring in her face. Tina plugged in her pen drive, something she had remembered to buy, and began to transfer her files to it.

Well then you’ll have to wait while these files transfer. Sorry for the inconvenience,” muttered Tina in a passive way.

Cassie nodded and squirmed into the nearest seat. Neither spoke, the words not coming like they used to. And why should they? Eventually Tina asked the question that needed an answer.

Why did you throw it away so easily, Cassie?

Cassie rolled her eyes, “I was waiting for this. Just drop it, Tina. Please, for your own sake.

Why should I? I have every deserved right to ask.

I don’t want to say. It’s complicated and stupid, to you, but to me it was the most imperative thing. I couldn’t go on with it in my head.

With what, Cassie? Stop being so vague.

Because I still loved Jamie!

Tina’s mouth dropped. Barring the hum of the laptop’s fan, there was silence.

Thanks Celtic, loving you as ever <3

Ash, I like your idea of the Eastenders theme :D

The sound of the slap was huge; Tina instantly regretting a decision that seemed perfect at the time. “How dare you, Cassie,” she muttered before slumping back against the wall.

Cassie was close to crying, but because of the slap. “Please, Tina, don’t think less of what we had. Jamie has always been in my heart; we almost got married for goodness sake!

Tina didn’t dare look up at Cassie’s face. Cassie took the silence as a reason to continue. “I did love you, Tina,” she said, correcting herself almost immediately, “I still do. But our jobs just don’t go together. And that means that neither can we.

What do you want me to do? Resign, just for you?

No! I’m not saying that, Tina,” sighed Cassie, before shrugging her shoulders in defeat, “There is just no point in doing this. We’re going around in an aimless circle.

Tina got up and yanked the laptop off the table, power cable hanging from its port. “Take it and please just go away,” she said, tears welling up inside her eyes.

Cassie could see how much this was killing her, and simply nodded. She took the laptop and left without another word. Tina let the tears fall, but was forced to get up and wipe her eyes when a knock on the door dragged her out of her memories.

Valter stood there, worry etched on his face. “I’ve just seen Cassie. She didn’t say much to me. Why was she here?”

Tina wiped her eyes a second time, “No reason. What can I do for you?

Valter frowned, “Got an injury down in training. But don’t be too worried, it’s nothing major.

Tina looked at him, “Who is it?

Fabrice. He has hurt his leg in a collision with Kodro.

Is Mairi on the job?

Valter nodded, “She says he will be fine, and should be relatively okay for the Roma game in two days. I just thought you’d like to know rather than receive it as a surprise tomorrow.

Tina managed a tear filled smile, “Thanks, Valter. You don’t fancy going for a midday drink, do you?

He Italian feigned being hurt, “How could you think I wouldn’t? There is however a man stood stairs waiting for you, his agent in tow.

Tina perked up, “Who?

Medo.

You best send him up then,” she replied, straightening herself in the mirror. “Let’s see what he and his agent want, and what we can offer.

Tuesday 18th August 2009

As Tina walked slowly into the office, she and Mairi uttered not a single word. “Drinking isn’t clever,” said Tina, rubbing her now throbbing head.

Mairi sighed, “Don’t shift the blame to me. It was your idea to go out after work,” she replied, doing the exact same motion as Tina.

The pair went their separate ways as they got into the building, “I’ll get to work on Fabrice,” said Mairi, seemingly happy to be out of the very warm summer air and into the air conditioned stadium. Tina went the other to the corporate area of the building, her office a cool retreat from the outside.

Valter followed her in after a few minutes, “You look like hell,” he said, laughing. Tina gave him a dead cold stare. “I’m actually glad I left after having just the one beer.

Please, be quiet. My head feels like it’s exploding from inside. What have you got for me?” asked Tina, nodding towards the files in her assistant’s hand.

Valter smiled, “This one is the match report from last night’s reserve match against Hibernian. Needless to say we were awful,” he said as he handed them across.

Tina ran her eyes across the notes, spotting the scoreline at St Mirren 0 – 3 Hibernian, a complete reverse of the first team scoreline that happened only three days ago. The only thing worth noting was a decent, or best of the worst, performance from Dennis Wyness. The Hibs goals came from Darren McCormack, Colin Nish and Anthony Stokes, all three of whom featured in the first team game on Saturday.

Seems like you have your work cut out with the reserves then, Valter. Anything else?

The Italian smiled, “How did the discussions with Medo go?

Tina shrugged, “He is a good guy, model professional, but I opted there and then to not sign him. We really don’t need any more players. Brahim is a loss, but not one that we will rue. He doesn’t need replacing to be honest; he didn’t need signing in the first place.

To be honest I did think that. We have Edgar who can do the job probably much better than he would, so it’s no loss really. Was Medo okay with the wasted journey?

Tina nodded, “His agent said that Dundee were trying to poach in on the deal, wanted to have talks with him. I imagine that’s where they are right now.

And how are we in preparation for Roma? They arrive tomorrow morning, Tina, don’t forget.

Tina, head now in arms on the desk, waved her hand to shush Valter from talking, “I haven’t forgotten. We are facing disadvantage in every aspect of our game according to the scout report. I think it’s going to be a matter of damage limitation but I’m obviously not going to say that to the players. I’m still looking for a weakness as is Zamora.

Valter pulled his mobile out, “I’ll get on the phone to him to see if he has come up with anything. And have you come up with anything?

Tina did a weird nod of her head from under her arms, “The right back slot. Roma are currently without three first choice right backs. To me, the weakness will be there. Anyone they do choose will either be lacking match fitness or be inexperienced. I propose bashing that wing in the aim, and hope, of getting a goal at least.

Valter smiled, “See what happens when you put your brain into action?

Tina looked up and frowned, “Yes, I do. It results in a monumental hangover and a stomach that feels like it could heave at any moment.

Valter got up to make his way out, “I’m guessing you won’t be eating the special in the canteen today?

What is it?

Fish.

Tina felt the sick coming up her throat, instantly making the dash down the corridor for the toilet. Valter laughed to himself before humming his way down to the physio room.

Tuesday 18th August 2009

Valter got up to make his way out, “I’m guessing you won’t be eating the special in the canteen today?

What is it?

Fish.

Tina felt the sick coming up her throat, instantly making the dash down the corridor for the toilet. Valter laughed to himself before humming his way down to the physio room.

Valter is undoubtedly a bad man.

A very bad man.

Wednesday 19th August 2009

St Mirren vs. AS Roma

St Mirren Park

Europa League Fourth Qualifying Round First Leg

GK; Vincent Degre

DR; Jack Ross

DL; Mo Camara

DC; John Potter

DC; Lee Mair

MC; Andy Dorman

MC; Alej Caiaffa

MR; Tom Brighton

ML; Ricardo Vaz Te

ST; Edixon Perea

ST; Billy Mehmet

Subs; Paul Gallacher, Chris Innes, Hugh Murray, Stephen O’Donnell, Fabrice Fernandes, Ciro Immobile, Andy Millen

Valter stood with Tina on the pitch sideline watching the players run through their early morning fitness regime. Fabrice Fernandes had been passed fit, but wasn’t going to start. The main problem for Tina was her defence; she would be without Parkhurst, Wotton and Calderon because of ineligibility. That in itself was huge blow, but Tina had faith in the guys that had played and seen them bypass PSV.

I’m going to have stick Mo on the left,” said Tina, watching as the Guinean train with Balmer. He looked very good physically, despite his age being on the wrong side of 33. Many full backs have had long careers though, mainly Brazilians such as Roberto Carlos and Cafu.

Valter agreed with her decision, simply as there was no other choice in the matter. Mo and Antonio were the only recognised and decent left backs at the club, and one was ineligible. “I think we need a left back on-loan, Valter,” mumbled Tina, watching as the players continued to train. “Just for a couple of months. If he’s young enough, and we progress to the next stage of Europe, then we could use a spare.

Valter smiled as the words left her mouth. “I think I know a candidate. If you’ll allow me, I’ll bring him over for a meeting. He’s Italian but plays in Germany.

Tina nodded, “Go for it. I trust your opinion,” she replied before strolling onto the field. Valter turned and made the call.

Fabrice, I can’t risk starting you so you’re going to be on the bench,” she said to the Frenchman as he stood beside her. “I just won’t take that chance on aggravating it.

Fabrice smiled in understanding, “It’s fine, I agree with you. I feel good but don’t want to rush it.

Model professional once more. All of these guys were a world away from the dissidence of Hemdani. Tina’s phone rang as Fabrice headed back on to the field.”Powell here,” she said, almost laughing down the phone as Hugh Murray fell over.

Hi Tina, it’s Geraint Williams,” responded the voice, a nice Welsh accent. Tina almost felt at home just hearing it.

Geraint. I can’t describe how good it is to hear a Welsh voice. What can I do for you?

We reached an agreement with Dennis Wyness. Is it still okay for him to join us? If you’re happy with it, I’ll send the finalised forms for your signature.

Yeah, Geraint, Dennis is all yours.

Geraint sounded much relieved, “Oh thank you. I’ll get them sent immediately. Good luck the game, Tina. You have a lot of people following and wishing you on.

Thank you, Geraint,” replied Tina, “We are certainly going to need it.

And with that, Dennis Wyness was now a Leyton Orient player. Best of luck to him in England. Tina called the boys in just as Valter came back, “Any luck?

Bayern agreed to it.

And who are we expecting for talks?

Just one Diego Contento.

One more player made his exit from St Mirren Park before the start of the game, Steven Thomson completing his £40,000 to Swansea City. Tina encouraged the move, knowing how well the system and structure at Swansea is. He moves instantly, and whilst being missed, he never really struck it off here in his one season he played.

Tina stood in front of her players, the group eager yet nervous to get out there and play against a far superior Roma side. A side boasting Baptista, Vucinic, De Rossi and Riise was always going to be dominant. “Alright guys, here we are. Just across that hallway is a group of lads thinking they can come here and destroy us in our home. St Mirren Park is OUR place, and we need to show them that. Motherwell met Roma and were completely vandalised by them, but I am not going to allow you to be so fickle. You go out and show the same spirit and grit that saw us past PSV.

As the players rallied together and headed out, Tina took a deep breath. This was going to be a massive match.

As The St Mirren and Roma players took their positions, there was a huge air of hope circling the stadium. The chatter that Tina could hear told everything she already knew; St Mirren would have to be god lucky to win this match.

As Mehmet and Perea kicked off, and immediately played it back. A slick and controlled style would be needed here today; no hot headed passing leading to only trouble and woe.

And it paid off too, in the best possible way. A superb pass from the right by Ross picked out Brighton on the left, and he chased as Mexes and Artur stood and hoped that one or the other would come for the ball. Neither did.

Brighton nipped in between them and lifted the ball over Artur’s head, the ball agonisingly going just under the bar. Everyone thought it had missed, but somehow, it bounced over the line as Artur flapped furiously at it.

The stadium exploded into cheer. Somehow St Mirren were ahead, against all odds. And now it was theirs and theirs alone for taking. Roma kicked off, and set up differently to try and push themselves back into the game. Their first real attack caused commotion in the St Mirren penalty area as Brighi’s shot clattered off Mair. Vucinic stuck a foot out to poke it in before Camara struck from nowhere to block it. It then fell to Baptista who took a shot, but Degre finally had the chance to smother it and break the attack down.

Couldn’t see a bloody thing there,” muttered Tina as she watched the melee. Valter smiled.

At least we’re in front.

Caiaffa was the next to have a chance, he and Dorman combining beautifully to set the Colombian on his way. He raced down towards the box, but seemed to be in two minds as to what to do. Perea was not available as a choice, and Mehmet was floating way out on the left. He went for the shot, but Brighi got in the way to prevent him where he stood. It was unlucky for the youngster.

Roma began to pick up pace in regards to attacking and came ever so close with a corner. Taddei took it, bending it around onto the head of Vucinic. The top class striker spooned his header, but Mo Camara hacked at the ball like an idiot. The ball spun off his foot and onto the post before Degre could clear it out of harm’s way.

What the hell are you playing at?” yelled Tina, watching the expression on Camara’s face avoid her glare.

Claudio Ranieri stood across from Tina, but he looked so much more calm and collected, despite his team being on the wrong end of 1-0. Tina’s inexperience would always show through, this was only her second season after all.

Roma began to improve with their passing, practically eliminating the midfield from the game, and that was where the problem lay. A short pass from Brighi to Motta took Ross out of the right back position and Brighi carried his run on past Potter. The cross was inch perfect, but Brighi had ran too far and it sailed right behind him. He looked peeved with himself, but Roma could sense it coming. And it did, three minutes later.

Vucinic was too much of a handful for Potter and he shrugged him off with ease. He ran at an angle towards goal, drawing Degre to a tighter angle and pulling Potter along with Mair, away from Baptista. Caiaffa picked up on this, and charged towards Baptista. The Colombian knew what was going to happen, but he was too late. Vucinic squared it past all three beleaguered members of the St Mirren team, and Baptista tapped it into an open goal.

Tina sunk into her seat, but didn’t slouch. She had options, but while they weren’t losing, it was hardly a catastrophe. Time played out with no real work from St Mirren, they sat back on Tina’s instructions and hoofed it to Perea and Mehmet to no avail. Half time was needed, and when the whistle blew, the real planning would begin.

Well, here it is Ash :)

Tina’s players looked rather disappointed, but they had no real reason to feel that way. They were performing admirably against a far superior side and looked good value out there on the pitch. “I don’t know why I’m seeing so many glum faces in here,” said Tina, watching for a response. “We have had an excellent half and you have looked fine out there. Yeah, I know it is disappointing to be on level terms, but this is still ours for the taking. Even a draw would be a great result for a side as small as us. So let’s take it to them and show them we simply won’t lie down and pass quietly into the night.

The teamtalk seemed to spur life the players and they headed out to the tunnel in the hope of regaining their lead. Tina turned to Valter as the last man left, “Think we can hold on?

Valter winked, “I don’t see why not.

Baptista and Taddei kicked the second half off, and Tina sat in her seat as rain began to pound down on St Mirren Park. It added an unwanted skid to the turf, something Roma weren’t happy with. Back in Rome, they were the babies of a stadium that could look after them in the rain. St Mirren Park wasn’t so adaptable. Vucinic was the first to fall as he jumped to avoid a tackle from Mair and ended up backside first in the mud.

This is going to get messy,” muttered Tina as she pulled the collar on her coat up around her neck. She watched as Mair hoofed the ball forward to the front line. Perea took it down and flicked it through for Brighton. The hero of the first half chased it down, but as he went to kick it somehow kicked a puddle and then the ball, resulting in a large splash followed by the ball going about an inch.

Roma tried hard to find some groove, and they almost struck gold when Taddei played in Baptista. The rain soaked Brazilian bombed down the left with Guberti in close proximity, but his pass was too short for the winger who overran the ball and had to turn to see Camara lift it away from danger.

The St Mirren fans took the rain in their stride and opened their mouths, singing to bring their side together. It spurred the guys on and brought St Mirren their first chance of the half, Brighton crossing in for Mehmet. The out of sorts striker looked uncomfortable jumping for the ball, but Perea read the situation well and nipped around the back. The ball landed with a splash before Perea got there, and his poked effort was turned round the post superbly by Artur in the Roma goal.

Get Chris prepped,” said Tina, looking about the former Livingston man she had inherited again, “Mair looks a little lost out there. I want a secure defender on to hold on to our position.

Valter nodded and got the message to Chris, Tina continuing to watch the match. Claudio on the opposing touchline was still a face of calm measure, something that was beginning to annoy Tina. The man just didn’t seem fazed at all, even though his side was being held by a much lesser one.

Roma continued to gain a little momentum at a time, Innes being called immediately into action when Taddei broke past Camara. His pace left the Guinea man in his wake, but Potter came across to cover his teammate. It didn’t bode well for St Mirren though; Roma were gaining in strength and confidence.

This, in Tina’s head, was proved correct when Baptista rattled the crossbar with a twenty yard drive that had Degre beaten before the idea even left the keepers head.

Tina, we need to do something about Camara,” said Valter, a frown enveloping his face, “He is getting destroyed out there.”

Tina shook her head, “There isn’t anyone we can put on there in his place. We’re going to have to risk it.

Claudio was off his seat when he welcomed Guberti off the pitch, the midfielder having put in a tiresome shift. Stefano Okaka came on his place, changing the whole shape of Ranieri’s side. It would also prove to be a decision of great importance.

The clock struck on in a half that simply did nothing to please any fan that had paid money in the hope of seeing an excellent match. It was sloppy, wet and broken, simply allowing for nothing to be built upon.

But then it happened. It was bound to happen to Mo Camara. A long ball was lofted over his head, but he had the pace and time to reach it and deal with it. Okaka was making ground on him, but shouldn’t have had a chance. Camara poked the ball towards Degre, who instantly waved at him to not follow through with that decision. It was too late though.

Okaka broke past Camara and the Guinean lashed out, trying to pull him down. He failed and Okaka reached the ball before Degre, who he then subsequently rounded and slotted the ball home before sliding through the wet mud in celebration. There wasn’t even time for a reply.

Stefano Okaka, you tw*t.

St Mirren 1 (Brighton 3 {1st})

AS Roma 2 (Baptista 35, Okaka 90+2)

Attendance; 8,016

MOTM; Matteo Brighi

I couldn't describe how low my heart sank after it went in :(

Un-fuc*ing believable!” yelled Tina, slamming a water bottle into the wall. “He just pops up and slams it in,” she muttered, sitting next to Degre on the changing room bench. The players looked real upset, as despite playing the game excellently, they came away with nothing.

Camara glared at Degre, “What the hell did you call that? You’re supposed to be aware of the ball and cover your defence,” he snapped, the left back clearly shifting blame.

Degre squared up to him, “Don’t go blaming me, you idiot,” he replied in French, knowing full well that Mo was half French in nationality. The two were now nose to nose, Camara looking more likely to throw the first punch.

Pipe down the pair of you,” muttered Tina as she stepped in between them both. “We never really had the chance to win the game,” she said, looking at every member of the team that played, “We gave it our best. That is all we could have done.

Camara and Degre stared each other down before the Frenchmen moved away and sat back down. Fernandes spoke to him to calm him down while Camara just left the room. An awkward silence enveloped the squad, a knock on the door stirring people to get on home or at least make their way to nearest bar.

Claudio Ranieri hadn’t left with his team yet, and as such was the one stood doing the knocking. “I wondered if you’d have a drink with me before we leave?

Tina smiled, “That would be a pleasure.

The two walked to the club’s bar, situated a level above the changing rooms. Both ordered a double whisky. “I must thank you for the hospitality we received here, Tina. We will most certainly offer you the best we can when you come to us in a week.

Thank you, Claudio,” replied Tina, before swigging down her drink. Claudio did the same before nodding at her.

It was a sign of gratitude from a man who had been tactically beaten and somehow come away with the win.

Europa League Round Up;

Fulham made the trip to Switzerland to play an FC Sion side fielding former Man City man Emile Mpenza. They were no match for the Premier League side though as three first half goals from Andy Johnson, Brede Hangeland and Johnson again saw them head in with a superlative lead. Erik Nevland finished them off in the second half with a freekick, and saw Fulham going home with a most certainly unbeatable lead.

Bohemians welcomed top Russian side Zenit to Dalymount Park, but any hopes of an upset were dashed in the first half. A top freekick from Radek Sirl was sandwiched by a Mateja Kezman and Syargey Kornilenko goal, while Kornilenko got a second late in the game. Barry Aldridge’s reply meant little for the home fans present.

Aston Villa hosted Portuguese side Futebol Club Pacos de Ferreira to Villa Park, but they made light work of them as expected. Four first half goals from Gabriel Agbonlahor and John Carew saw them wipe P.Ferreira from the game, and Carew finished it in the second with his hat-trick goal and to seal the five nil win. Everton made light work of Cherno more, second half goals from Jack Rodwell, Joseph Yobo and James Vaughan securing the win in Sofia.

Hearts must have been biting themselves after taking a two goal lead against French side Toulouse, Ruben Palazuelos and David Templeton with the goals. But it just wasn’t meant to be for them as they allowed the French side back into the game through Mauro Cetto and Ettiene Capoue before hot property Andre-Pierre Gignac stole the show with a thirty yard screamer. Hearts have a lot of work to do in France next week.

It simply wasn’t a good night for Scottish clubs as Aberdeen travelled to Danish side AB. They were destined to earn a draw according to the pundits, but goals from Daniel Fredheim Holm and Louay Chanko put them in front. A reply from Lee Miller was cancelled out by another goal from both Holm and Chanko to secure the four one win.

Celtic picked up the only win of the night with a five nil thrashing of Hungarians Debrecen. Landy N’Guemo scored twice in three minutes to give them the lead before Aiden McGeady got another to secure the first half. A five minute double from Scott McDonald secured the last two goals of the game, practically giving Celtic safe passage to the next round.

Thanks for still checking in, Entombed :thup:

James Rodwell lay in bed, the body next to him turning to achieve a comfortable position. He lay thinking of the might of his empire; much alike Alexander the Great or Napoleon did. He, however, needed no weapons or army. Just his mind. The body stirred once more, inciting him to speak. He hated small talk.

Can’t sleep,” he said, almost knowing what the woman next to him was going to ask him.

How can you even know what I was about to ask?” she replied, laying her head on his chest.

I’m gifted like that,” he muttered without a hint of emotion. He got up and out of bed before checking his watch on the bedside table. Three A.M.. He sighed before walking into the en-suite.

What was the final score at the St Mirren game?” came back the voice from the bed.

Two one to Roma. It was close though,” he replied, checking his face in the mirror. Aren’t you a ruggedly handsome man? he thought to himself.

The more I see her face on the television, the more I actually do hate her.

Be kind, dear,” replied James.

That’s the worrying part. I am actually being kind there.

James rolled his eyes before going back into the bedroom. “She is doing a good job, if you must know. But then you already would, because you know full well you need to do a better one.

The woman smiled, “With your help of course.

James nodded before climbing back into bed, “Why do you think I got you the job there in the first place? Everything is set in motion now. We just have to wait, and hope you are as good as you think you are.

Steffi Rheinheimer smiled, “You know I am,” she replied before disappearing under the covers. James simply smiled.

What a perfect world.

Thursday 21st August 2009

As Tina sat with her coaches, one immediate thing came to her attention. Dundee United were supposedly much better than St Mirren. The same had been said of Hibernian, and they had crashed and burned at home. “I recommend going in hard on Danny Swanson and Craig Conway. The two could decimate Rangers on a good day, let alone us on a bad one,” said Balmer.

Tina wasn’t happy, “Why are you so quick to downplay our strengths, Stuart? It’s actually getting quite annoying now.

I get paid for my coaching advice.

So go coach someone,” muttered Tina.

Balmer stormed out of the room. “Can someone give me a strength we DO have over Dundee? Instead of giving me just negatives.

Andy Millen smiled, “Passing.

Then that is our way in.

tenthree - I'm waiting for that moment :) thanks SWalton, always great to see you on here reading.

But it certainly can’t be the only thing we have over them. For hells sake, we beat PSV twice, and not on merit, but for good strong performances. We came close with Roma, so let’s do ourselves justice and at least give me something to aim at guys,” muttered Tina, watching for a response from her aides. There really wasn’t one.

Tina is right,” replied Andy Millen, “We have some excellent football since she arrived, much more attractive than Gus. Don’t get me wrong, he was exemplary here, but Tina has got us playing way differently. Let us look at the next game like we are her side and not the one Gus left behind.

Balmer frowned at the comments, indifferent to the speech Andy had made, but Millen was of course right. They were now playing Tina’s way, not Gus’s, and it was a very different approach in all means of the tactic she had laid out.

Thank you, Andy,” she said, getting up to leave the room. “I’ll go work on some of ‘my’ ideas.

As she made her way to her own office, she stumbled into Gilmour, who had a copy of HEAT magazine in his hands. “I will only hazard a guess in that you haven’t seen what’s in here today,” he said, offering it out to her.

Tina shook her head, “Is it something about me? I swear to god I haven’t done anything embarrassing or anything else of any nature.

Gilmour laughed at the automatic defence Tina had put up, “Just take a look. You’ll have to eventually,” he said.

Tina took it and opened up the page where a marker had been left.

THE HOTTEST COUPLE IN SCOTTISH FOOTBALL RUMOURED TO HAVE SPLIT

It was revealed yesterday that there has been a split from within one of footballs more interesting partnerships. St Mirren football club manager Tina Powell is reported to have split from her partner of seven months Cassie Frost, but the reasons are as yet unknown.

The pair met in October last year, right after the debacle surrounding a kiss and tell story that had involved a man named Jake. It isn’t yet known why the pair have split as both have been unavailable for comment, but a spokesperson for St Mirren said, “We cannot confirm nor deny any of these rumours you have picked up on. Tina’s relationship with Cassie is nothing to do with the club, and we have no interest in making it our business unless it affects us directly.”

It is known however that Miss Frost’s former fiancée Jamie Winters, a Home Office employee, returned to Scotland this last month and the pair was spotted together having a coffee in the Livingston area. Winters has also been seen leaving the Frost household on two occasions in the last week, sparking debates about the former couple re-igniting their passion.

Tina threw the magazine down onto the desk. Gilmour was still around, “You should have said that you and Cassie had split up, Tina. I might be your boss but I can sit and listen from time to time.

It wasn’t for you to worry about,” she said in reply, thoroughly thinking over what she had just read. She had no idea Cassie was back with Winters. It made her blood boil and her stomach churn.

It is when you are the manager of my club. Are you okay with it all?

I’ll be fine. I guess the phone call I missed yesterday was these vultures from HEAT?

Gilmour nodded, “Probably best you weren’t there for the call.

Probably,” muttered Tina.

Thanks chesterfan2.

Friday 21st August 2009

As Tina sat in her office running over some files, she had the feeling that Cassie was coming to see her. After seeing the article in HEAT magazine yesterday she had no doubt that Cassie would do one of two things; stay well away or come with a rubbish excuse. It was the latter. The knock on the door stirred her from the thought of what was to come.

Cassie stood behind the pain of glass, Tina making eye contact but not giving anything away as to her feelings. She had learnt to do that from the best.

What do you want,” said Tina, casually. The lack of care seemed to startle Cassie.

I came to say sorry about what was written yesterday. The way they have put it across makes it seem a lot worse than it actually is.

Tina rolled her eyes, “I knew you’d come in offering something like that to me. It is bad enough I still love you, but to know you’re back with Jamie hasn’t helped at all. In fact, it just makes me want to see even less of you.

Tina, me and Jamie aren’t back together. That’s just how the media are portraying it...” replied Cassie, cut off as Tina interjected.

I think we’re done here,” she said, getting up and standing by the door as she opened it for Cassie. Cassie knew better than to argue, and left without saying another word.

Tina felt herself wanting to explode into a mixture of feelings; anger and sadness being the most prominent. She handled herself well though, and wiped a stray tear from her cheek as Valter knocked on her door five minutes after Cassie had left. He mentioned nothing of knowing she had been to the office.

Mairi’s physio report on the squad from the Roma game and for the upcoming Dundee one,” he said, placing the folder on her desk.

Thanks. I’ll take in a minute.

And I heard that Dundee United completed the signing of a thirty one year old midfielder from Togo. I think his name was Kuami Agboh.

I doubt he will be in the side for our match then if he has only just joined. Was it a free transfer?

Valter simply nodded. “Well, he won’t be match fit to play us. Thank you for letting me know anyway,” Tina said, picking up the folder on the desk. Valter was sorely tempted to ask her if she was okay, but he did truly fear the backlash.

Just give me a shout if you need anything,” he spoke on the way out, a smile on his face to show his care.

Tina nodded and sat down, pretending to read the file. She was, and she wasn’t. She had been given a clean bill of health for this Saturday’s match, something that she was still enjoying the luxury of.

As she put the file down, she sensed a presence hiding at her door. “Whoever it is, you better stop lurking.

Valter’s head peered round the frame, “Am I that inconspicuous? Tina, talk to me. I know you aren’t okay and I’m tired of you saying so.

The show of affection took her by surprise, but a tear escaped her eye and slowly rolled down her cheek. She made the best she could to look okay, but another tear escaped as she spoke.

I’m still madly in love with her,” was all she said before burying her head into her hands.

Someone once told her; One of the hardest things in life is watching the person you love, loving someone else.

It certainly rang true for her now.

Saturday 22nd August 2009

St Mirren vs. Dundee United

St Mirren Park

Scottish Premier League

GK; Vincent Degre

DR; Lee Mair

DL; Antonio Calderon

DC; Paul Wotton

DC; Michael Parkhurst

MC; Andy Dorman

MC; Edgar Davids

MR; Keaghan Jacobs

ML; Fabrice Fernandes

ST; Edixon Perea

ST; Febian Brandy

Subs; Paul Gallacher, Chris Innes, Jack Ross, Hugh Murray, Rodney Sneijder, Ricardo Vaz Te, Ciro Immobile

There was complete commotion and confusion in Paisley as Saturday arrived. Headlines in the newspapers ran with;

ST MIRREN SIGN SNEIJDER.

Now, the level headed of people would have realised that it would most certainly not be Wesley, the current Internazionale dynamo. But then, most people most of the time are not level headed. It wasn’t helped when Wesley actually turned up with the actual player St Mirren had signed.

He was spotted at Glasgow Airport bringing his brother Rodney Sneijder in from Ajax. But people failed to catch on. They for some inexplicable reason believed Wesley Sneijder had signed for St Mirren.

It wasn’t until the actual press conference for the Dundee game that the truth finally splurged from hiding. A very giddy reporter got the whole debacle started.

There is word that Wesley Sneijder has arrived at St Mirren. Is this true?

Tina frowned, “With almost nine million percent conviction in my answer, I can soundly say that Wesley Sneijder is not signing for St Mirren. Please, it isn’t even funny anymore.

The reporter seemed quite upset that it wasn’t Wesley, but he deserved that for being a complete fool and believing it anyway. “So who have we signed then?

A better question,” said Tina, before motioning to her left. What made this whole thing even worse is that Rodney looked a lot like his brother. “We have signed Rodney Sneijder, a current youth player on the books of Ajax. He has joined us for the season on loan, while we have the option to buy him come the end of this season.

The reporter squinted at the boy sat next to Tina, “Are you sure that isn’t Wesley Sneijder?

Tina was getting annoyed, “If you ask me anything about Wesley Sneijder again, bad things are going to happen. We have Rodney, and by my judging he has the potential to be as good as his brother. That could start here with us in Scotland, and I hope he takes the chance. He goes straight onto the bench for today’s game.

And that was that. Four hours after people spotted Wesley Sneijder at Glasgow airport and read the coinciding headlines, the confusion had ended. Many were disappointed, as they had now got a player at their club that they didn’t even know existed. But Rodney is a good player, and has a whole season to make an impact. Valter welcomed Tina out of the conference, “That looked fun,” he said, a smile enveloping his face.

It truly wasn’t. Are the players ready for the quick fitness test?

Valter nodded, “They are on the pitch.

Tina nodded, “Good, good. I’ll be there shortly.

Alright. Are you okay?” he asked, Tina’s face a picture.

If I hear, see or need to speak the name Wesley Sneijder again, heads are going to roll.

Tina's going to kill you both.

The players sat with the intent of listening to their boss, who had so far not done them any wrong in this changing room. “I won’t lie to you,” said Tina, moving across the room to stand with Valter, “But Dundee are a fairly strong outfit. They have some good players; players who will finish you off if you let them. But we won’t let that happen, at least not without a half decent fight first. You all have your instructions, and if you stick to them then I see no reason why we can’t go home today with three points. Do your fans proud,” she said, before motioning for them to enter the tunnel.

Previously troubled central defender Andy Webster was stood at the head of his Dundee side, the captain ready to lead them out to what would be a hopefully victory for Craig Levein. Levein was very humble as her shook her hand, “You are definitely one to watch out for this season,” he said, smiling profusely.

Tina smiled back, “We shall see after the game if you still fancy talking to me in such a courteous tone.

Levein stared at her, “Touché,” he said before smiling and heading to his seat. Tina shivered; it sounded odd hearing a French word spoken by a very strong sounding Scotsman.

The game took just a few minutes to burst into life, neither side really exploring the option of tentative play. A long hoof forward from Wotton found Brandy unmarked, but his scuffed effort hit a defender on its way towards goal. He earned a corner for his shot, but Calderon failed to do much with it. Within seconds we were caught on a very dangerous counter, Cadamarteri striking a low shot off the legs of Degre.

We are bloody lucky to still be level here,” muttered Tina, very disappointed at the ease with which St Mirren fell apart.

The chances though were few and far between, and rather poor from both sides. A rash long range shot from Dorman went wide whilst Cadarmarteri heading over from a decent freekick for the visitors.

Referee Iain Brines had to be quick with his card book, Morgaro Gomis going in heavy on Perea. The Dundee midfielder whinged about the decision, but eventually shut his mouth before he made the whole thing worse.

St Mirren got their chance fifteen minutes, but it wasn’t the best worked or best executed move. Fernandes, looking slightly sloppy on the field, almost lost the ball to Swanson but somehow soldiered on. He reached the by-line and whipped a decent cross in, Brandy rising highest to meet it. But his timing was slightly off and it skimmed off his head, going well wide of the far post he was meant to be aiming for.

The striker didn’t look too disappointed with his effort, but it would be his involvement in the next move that would make a popular figure. A long ball to his feet from a counter attacking move saw him, Jacobs and for some reason Wotton making a burst forward. One Dundee defender stood between them. That man was captain Andy Webster, and he had one choice to make. Make a move on the ball, or wait for the St Mirren players to make their choice.

He opted for trying to take out Brandy, who just skipped past him. By this point Swanson had raced back and was covering Jacobs, so Brandy squared it for Wotton, who rifled the sweetest right footed shot past Nicky Weaver, sending the home crowd mad for him. The captain had scored a terrific goal, and in doing so had put St Mirren in front.

Get him on freekicks,” laughed Tina between the celebrations, “We could do with that kind of shot on a regular basis.

As play resumed, Dundee looked slightly miffed with their captain and Swanson, who could really have done a little more to have prevented the goal. Least happy of all was Weaver, who could have done little else.

St Mirren could have been two up just four minutes after Wotton’s strike, but the chance went begging. Calderon had done well on the left and had overlapped on Fernandes. The full back sent a delicious cross in, Perea heading the ball off the post. He seemed unable to react quick enough to the rebound and the attack crumbled away.

Dundee came alive after an extreme grilling from Craig Levein, Swanson creating an excellent chance for the visitors. The through ball went through with ease, slicing open Parkhurst and Mair to pave the way for Goodwillie to slide in. He ran well with the ball, but Degre was equal to him and read his heavy touch excellently; the keeper coming out to collect the ball. He had little time to do anything with it as the half time whistle went.

We have everything now in our grasp,” said Tina as she herself sipped from a water bottle. “Dundee are on the backfoot, but whilst they are, we aren’t exactly pushing forward in great quantity ourselves. We need to keep the pressure on their backline otherwise we are going to risk falling behind and then eventually conceding. Let’s do this lads, and secure our second win of the season.

The teamtalk seemed to spur the players to life, they all got up and prepared for the trip back out onto St Mirren Park. The crowd were expectant, as was Tina, and that should have been enough for the players as they made their way down the tunnel.

As the game kicked off, it was evident that St Mirren looked nervous. They quickly ceded possession of the ball to Swanson, who took one look and punted the ball long to Goodwillie. The forward took an excellent touch before laying it into the path of the booked Gomis, who took a fine first time shot. Degre got down well and palmed it wide, the resulting corner being plucked out of the air by his French gloves.

Dundee continued to gather some momentum, and it began to worry on the St Mirren bench. Pass after pass was being strung together, Swanson dominating the midfield with such ease. Davids looked a class apart though, his defensive work doing his reputation justice. Swanson got wind of a loose ball though, and took a crack at it, the ball rattling the post and sparing Degre from losing his cleansheet.

It hardly mattered though as the decisive moment of the game came four minutes later. A sweet piece of passing by Cadamarteri led to the ball landing at the feet of Mair, but the full back failed to control it. Cadamarteri happily accepted the let off and purposely made his way down the wing. Goodwillie had made the run into the centre, and after the cross found him in front of Wotton, all he had to do was slot it home. And he did. Degre stood no chance, and took first shot at Wotton for not picking up the man he was supposed to be marking.

Tina took Valter’s clipboard from him and threw it above and behind her. Stuart Balmer ducked at that point, yelling “Watch it you idiot!” in response.

The game was level now, and Dundee were looking the much stronger of the two sides. It was time for Davids to make his leave, the Dutchman looking slightly heavy on his feet now. Jack Ross would take his place, suited and booted and brought on three minutes after the goal. Levein made a change at the same time, German Andis Shala coming on for Danny Cadamarteri. The former Everton youth had done pretty decently out on the field and looked nothing like the player who left Merseyside seven years before.

Dundee strove into a fully functioning rhythm, and had another chance on the seventy minute mark. A long deep cross from Shala found Goodwillie, the striker turning Wotton before falling under his recovery tackle. That didn’t stop Bauben though, who took the ball and flicked it with the outside of his foot towards goal. Degre hadn’t anticipated the effort, but did superbly to get down for it. Bauben followed up, and should have scored had Wotton not appeared from nowhere to slide it away from him into the path of Mair, who hacked it clear. The worst looked over.

We are getting annihilated out there, and we have five in defence!” yelled Tina. “Pull your fingers out guys! Don’t just sit back and take it.

The pep speech did little as Tina’s words fell on deaf ears. St Mirren found themselves under some insane amount of pressure, and it made for hard viewing. As the clock ticked away its minute, Dundee grew in confidence and ideas. Wotton held out though, no thanks to Mair who consistently failed to check any of the strikers’ running. A long shot by Shala was saved well by Degre, who had been on a par with Wotton for defensive excellence.

Ricardo Vaz Te made his late entry for Perea, who left from the game with a performance bordering on non-existent. The winger tried his best to make an instant impact, but he just succeeded in fouling Swanson. The Dundee midfielder had been a nuisance all game, but it was an interesting nuisance. A possible new recruit for the future?

Tina scrambled the thoughts from her head as she sought to work out what had gone wrong in a game that St Mirren looked so odds on to win. It mattered little as the referee blew his whistle to signal the end of the game, not a classic by all means.

Tina shook Levein’s hand again, “A fair result would you say?” he said, smiling at her before offering a hug.

Tina accepted, “I’d probably say so,” she said before heading down the tunnel.

It wasn’t a win, but it certainly was a defeat. Victory over Levein would have to wait another couple of months.

St Mirren 1 (Wotton 28 {1st})

Dundee United 1 (Goodwillie 60)

Attendance; 8,016

MOTM; Paul Wotton

The SPL had an interesting weekend, but what started well in the early kickoffs soon faded as the day moved along. Celtic kicked off at lunchtime at home to St Johnstone, Aiden McGeady putting the Bhoys ahead after just fourteen minutes. He would grab his second later, but Kenny Deuchar slot home an equaliser before the winger put Celtic back in front. Landry N’Guemo got a late second half goal to put the game out of reach before a late, late debut goal from Felipe Baloy saw an end to the St Johnstone comeback dreams.

Next up were Hibernian, who made the trip to The Falkirk Stadium to play, well yes, Falkirk. Hibs were three nil up by half time, a double from Derek Riordan and a goal from Abdessalam Benjeloun, before the Moroccan got two more ten minutes after the break for his hat trick and Hibs’ fifth. Falkirk mounted an attempt at retribution, but two goals from Carl Finnigan were outdone by a superb strike from Chris Hogg, to leave the final score at 6-2. The final scoreline brought a terrific smile to Tina’s face; Rheinheimer must have been tearing her hair out.

Hamilton and Aberdeen played out a borefest at New Douglas Park, Derek Young putting the visitors in front after twenty minutes. Hamilton were level six minutes before the break as the relegation contenders struck back through Mickael Antoine-Curier. The second was a poor showing for Scottish football as neither side mustered anything remotely football like.

If anyone had thought the Hamilton-Aberdeen game was dull, the Motherwell-Kilmarnock game was much worse. The first half served up the perfect opportunity for sleeping, and the second half did much of the same. Jim O’Brien was stretchered off for a late tackle on Kevin Kyle, Conor Sammon totally turning the game on its head with a superb twenty yard freekick that won the game for Killie and put them top of the SPL.

How on gods earth can you expect, and want, me to place you at the head of the St Mirren throne when you suffered a complete routing at the hands of Hibernian today? You, woman, are deranged.

Steffi threw a ceramic mug at Rodwell, “Shut the hell up, James. You will do it, when it happens. You won’t have a choice about that.

Rodwell swiftly moved up towards Rheinheimer, lunging a hand at her throat and pushing her against the wall. Steffi was shocked as the pace at which he had moved and the strength with which he was now choking her. She fought against it, but failed to do much against him.

Now you listen to me, Steffi, and listen closely. I own you, and I own a business. The two will go hand in hand eventually, but for now, they do not. You don’t have any control over me, and you certainly have no leverage. What would telling anyone do for your reputation? People will respect and know me, and you know for certain that the protracted removal of another member of the footballing world will get you nowhere. So are you going to shut up and obey me or do I need to take further action?

Steffi managed to shake her head, gasping for breath when the hand and grip was released. She rubbed her neck as her lungs returned to full capacity. “I’m sorry,” she said, still rubbing her neck.

I don’t want your apologies. Now shut up and get out of my hotel room.

Steffi stared at Rodwell for a second before she picked up her bag and coat. “Don’t come round to my house anytime soon. You certainly won’t be getting any.

Rodwell laughed, “Trust me, I have no plans on coming round anytime soon.

If you say so,” said Steffi, certain that he would come round before long.

As she left, Rodwell sat at his hotel room desk. He browsed his way through some papers in a folder entitled ‘St Mirren FC Finances’. He smiled to himself as he poured a small whiskey, “Everything is nicely falling into place.

He put all the files back into the folder before turning off the light and getting his head down for some well earned sleep.

Sunday 23rd August 2009

Sundays are intended to be quiet, relaxing days. That is why they were created, and that is why they were put at the end of a week. Everyone’s week ended on a Sunday. Unless, of course, you are the manager of a football club. In which you then never really have a day off.

Celtic were running a story today that claimed that Tina was interested in bringing Lee Naylor to Paisley for talks. The left back had recently been made available for transfer by Tony Mowbray, mainly as Milan Misun and Danny Fox seemed to have the spot sewn up. There was no truth in the story though, and it just seemed like an attempt by Celtic to advertise the availability of their man. It's highly likely that the rumours started because of the hunt for a back up left back for Tina's side.

On the issue of fullbacks, Motherwell completed the signing of a right sider, for the pittance sum of £9,000. Their new man is Ivan Bandalovski, a 22 year old Bulgarian from Loko Sofia. He once joined Feyernoord for £535,000 in 2004, but failed to make the grade in Holland and moved back home.

Mairi came into Tina’s office as Tina sifted through some of the regular St Mirren paperwork. “Usually when you visit my office it is to tell me that someone is injured,” Tina said with a smile, before offering Mairi a seat across from her.

You seem to know me too well. I’m here about Carlos Castarnado.

He still injured?

Mairi shook her head, “Not quite. His damaged shoulder healed just fine,” she said.

Then that means....

He got injured again. He apparently jumped and landed too awkwardly during an U-19 game and my initial look at him says he has strained his back. He’s going to be out for a month, at least.

Tina sighed, “That boy is having no luck. Alright, leave it with me. I’ll sort out his time off and arrange appointments for him to come see you.

Thanks Tina,” said Mairi as she left. Carlos was really struggling with injuries at the minute, and for a keeper, suffering a shoulder and back injury didn’t read well for him. Being just sixteen though meant he had plenty of time to heal.

As Tina wrote up the holiday arrangement for him, she felt a presence at her door. She looked up to see Cassie standing there wearing a short skirt and a yellow t-shirt. She had her hair up in a back combed style and looked absolutely stunning. Tina obviously didn’t want to admit that to her, though.

I thought I told you that I didn’t want to see you again?” said Tina, trying very hard not to look at her with pure lust.

I wanted to see you,” she said, coming in and shutting the door behind her. She moved across to Tina’s desk and sat on the edge, her skirt riding up so Tina could see Cassie’s thigh the way it had been perfected for. Tina felt herself moving further and further from being the reserved individual she was trying to show to Cassie.

For what? Last time we saw each other, we didn’t exactly part on the best of terms. I hadn’t envisaged seeing you back here for a long while. If at all.

Cassie seemed to ignore Tina’s words, “I want to be with you,” she said before planting a kiss on Tina’s lips. Tina couldn’t fight it. She pulled Cassie’s legs around the desk edge and pulled them around her own waist. The pair kissed vigorously before Cassie cleared the table and pulled Tina onto it.

A knock on the door almost gave Tina a heart attack. Jackie was stood there, “I’m sorry to wake you, Tina, but there is a guy downstairs with Valter. He can’t speak English, which is why he is there.

What’s his name?

Diego Contento, I think he said.

Tina rubbed her tired eyes, “He better come up then,” she said, watching as Jackie nodded before heading back to her desk. Tina stood up ready to welcome him.

That was one hell of a vivid dream,” she muttered to herself.

As Diego and Valter entered the office, the young Italian offered his hand out. Valter translated the whole conversation for him, of course.

Welcome to Paisley,” said Tina, taking up the offer of his hand.

He asks is Paisley the stadium name?” laughed Valter, the older Italian here finding it hilarious.

Tina smiled to herself, “Tell him. Welcome anyway, and I hope you’ll be able to apply yourself to this afternoons training session?

Diego nodded, “I was wondering if I could take some English lessons too?

Tina walked across to her desk and opened the front left drawer, picking up an English class leaflet. “You’d be surprised how many of these I’ve given out in the past month and a half.

Thank you,” he said in reply, “I will be back later for training.

Diego and Valter had themselves a discussion in Italian, before the left back left the room. “He’s a good guy,” said Valter as he took a seat.

I trust your judgement, Valter, don’t worry. Think he will fit in alright here?

I’m certain he will. He will do just fine. He is excited at the chance of playing competitive football, and I know his father. He is a friend of a friend, and if he acts like anything like his father then you’ll do good to keep a hold of him come the end of his loan deal.

Tina smiled, “Let’s take it one step at a time,” she said as she handed him a schedule printed out in Italian. Oh the joys of a translation programme for the computer.

Valter took the page and left the office, seemingly happier at the arrival of another Italian to the club. It would feel more like home to him.

Motherwell grabbed the Scottish headlines with another signing, Mustapha Oussalah signing on a season-long loan deal from Belgian side KV Kortrijk. He’s apparently quite good technically, and the Motherwell media are already calling for the deal to be made permanent, as is the player himself. There are rumours of a deal in the contract allowing Motherwell to sign him for £250,000, but whether Jim Gannon’s side can afford that anytime soon is another matter. The club have only spent £9,000 so far this summer, so it’s unlikely for the meantime.

As Tina left her office to speak with Mairi downstairs, another conversation was taking place just on the floor above.

Mr Rodwell, I can’t say for certain if any of the other shareholders are interested in selling their part of the club, but as of right now, I know I will have to respectfully decline any offer you are intending to make,” said Gilmour as he pushed the folder back across the table. Rodwell sat with his leg raised on the other, his two guards stood outside.

Stewart, if I may call you that.”

You may.”

This portfolio shows a better future for this club here in the SPL. You would be foolish to turn it down.

Regardless, Mr Rodwell, I do not want to sell my shares in a club I love. And let us be frank here, your past control of a football club lasted less than two days. And where is that club now?

I made a mistake. And please, call me James.

I prefer Mr Rodwell. I wouldn’t want you to get the impression that we are friends. You’ll have to leave now, as I have work to be getting on with. The door is over there, Mr Rodwell. I don’t expect to see you back here anytime soon.

"I will be back with an improved offer, Stewart, you know I will."

"I thought you would be, so I took the liberty in filling my schedule up for the next couple of weeks. Hopefully you'll be bored by then and have moved on to pastures new. I appreciate the sponsorship you have paid us, and I hope that relationship can remain amicable, but for now, that will be the only hold you have on the club."

Rodwell remained stone faced, but picked himself up and left the office with another word.

Archived