Away games

Can someone tell me why this is happening, because I dont understand anymore. Its about away games in patch 9.3. Im playing my first season with Espanyol. I have my basic tactic set of attacking, balanced and counter-attack, plus very attacking and very defensive for those end of the match situations. So, in home the going has been good, 9-3-3 (1 goal losses against Sevilla, Barcelona and Valencia), my players follow the orders and play mostly like I want them to play. Away matches are a completely different story.

My record in away games is ridiculous 1-3-12, with goal difference of 12-32. The only victory was a lucky fluke against league leaders Real Madrid, when I got 2 penalties and won 2-1 (my goalkeeper was man of the match). Its not just thay I got beaten, I got MURDERED by the likes of Numancia whom I easily beat at home and then that relegation fodder plays like Barcelona in their home match. Nothing helps, I have even constructed couple of "special" tactics for away games but no help. If I play defensively, they will run over me, if I attack, it leaves too much open space in my defence. So, mostly I have tried balanced counter-attacking play, the kind of sensible play that could keep me in matches, but even that doesnt help. I have played CM/FM-games about 10 years and never I have been so confused. How can I turn this thing around?

Interestingly, my friend, who has played these games even longer than me, has same problem. He has Genoa in serie A, has excellent home record, but in away games just two wins. All the other away matches he has losed. No draws. And he is somewhere in March, so very deep in his first season also.

One point still. I wanted to test this in better team, so I loaded my Portsmouth save that I started in 9.2. Im in my fourth season and have a very good team with the likes of Pirlo, Sissoko, Ribery, Balotelli. I played 9 matches, 5 away matches and won them all, including victory against Arsenal. Im in January, leading the league and have not lost a single match in any competition in that season.

I cant believe that you need to have a great team to have a away success! But what else could it be, I can make tactics, I watch matches full time and make changes when necessary. Its true that teams should have some "boost" in home games but not this much. Latest match I played, Athletico Madrid away, 0-2 loss for me. Shots for them were 30-1!! My team was like clowns there and once again nothing helped. Usually its not that bad of course but the away record 1-3-12, speaks for itself.

So, reasonable explanation, anyone?

I have also noticed that I cannot win away anymore...my team's reputation is terrible still (Elgin City in Scots Div 1) but the team itself should be pushing for the title yet I can't get a point away from home! What tactical changes/differences can be made to make it more effective?

It seems to me that with the latest patch, home teams are given too much "boost". There is absolutely no logical reason why well working tactic set produces 3-0 home win and 0-2 away loss against the same opponent. It takes the fun out of the game. Occasionally there comes a good result or good performance, but its happening too rarely. And the problem is worst with "middle-class" teams, with them I seem to get great home record, like 12-4-3 but then when away record is something like 2-3-14, it makes no sense. And it also seems that you can play "badly" at home and still get a win but when in away matches even occassional good performance usually turns to loss. So the balance is not right.

Same thing here I get killed away from home despite murdering everyone at home. I have tried all of the usual advice like lower mentality, counter attack, few forward runs, more time wasting, narrow width. But i seems to get beat even more heavily.

Im surprised that there are so few complaints about this. Clearly the game balance in away matches is not right. It isnt so obvious with world class teams or very low level but in other cases it ruins the game.

I have found by using the scouts reports and setting up to play from their advice I am winning my fair share of away games

Im surprised that there are so few complaints about this. Clearly the game balance in away matches is not right. It isnt so obvious with world class teams or very low level but in other cases it ruins the game.

I'm having the same problem. Playing as Leicester in 6th season, 2nd season in Premiership I had a 14-4-1 record at home, and something like 4-2-13 away. One of those away wins was against Liverpool's reserves as well, but their reserves still beat me comfortable in the League Cup at Anfield.

My home tactics seem perfect. We tend to dominate most games, even beating Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. But away we crumble and often slip to weak defeats to the likes of Middlesbrough who are struggling near the bottom.

The patch has definitely made it much easier to win at home, but made playing away from home a lot harder. My first away pre-season game against good opposition for next season seemed to indicate that my improved squad isn't going to change anything.

My theory is they've significantly changed the effectiveness of playing deep and counter attacking. I experimented playing a short passing game further up the pitch in an away game at the end of last season and we played much better and didn't give away any clear cut chances. Too early to say whether that would work well regularly though.

The away balence in the top leagues like the premiership isnt right, however outside the premiership in the lower leagues like championship and league one etc i reckon its pretty spot on, irl have a look at the results in those leagues and you'll find its mainly the home teams who win, its very hard to get results away from home, to get results away from home if your in the lower leagues you need to be looking to implement a second tactic, counter attacking works best, you cant expect to go and win every away game unless you are by far a superior team, aim for the draw away from home and the win is a bonus:thup:

The away balence in the top leagues like the premiership isnt right, however outside the premiership in the lower leagues like championship and league one etc i reckon its pretty spot on, irl have a look at the results in those leagues and you'll find its mainly the home teams who win, its very hard to get results away from home, to get results away from home if your in the lower leagues you need to be looking to implement a second tactic, counter attacking works best, you cant expect to go and win every away game unless you are by far a superior team, aim for the draw away from home and the win is a bonus:thup:

Im in league 1 in 2016 (having risen from BSN), have tried umpteen different counter attaking defensive tactics based on the TTF and have been shocking away for last couple of seasons.

Going to try ultra negative 451 becasue thats about the only thing left i haven't tried...

So you all have an idea of what is a good away record for your teams check the league standings for the previous year and look at the away record of the teams, ive just had a look at mine and one of the teams who got promoted that year were in the bottom half of the table based on away form

Actually last year wasn't as bad as I thought. Based on away games I was 6th which took the shine off my 2nd place for home games.

User error again then ;)

6th place for away games is excellent i think, if your aiming for promotion experience tells me you need to at least be in the top 10. The best away record in the league for me last year was W10 D1 L12 and second was W7 D7 L9, i think alot of people are expecting it to be like older versions of FM where you used to be able to go and attack teams like you would as if you were at home, those 2 away forms show that those teams didnt even win half of their away games and yet those were the best away forms in the league which emphasises my point that you should aim for the draw away from home and the win is a bonus and you shouldnt be downhearted by a loss (this is with regards to leagues below the prem btw, the premiership is different, though its the same if your aiming for europe but for aiming for the title you obviously need to win the majority of away games) i bet if you all looked at your away form and compared it to the rest of the league you would find that it isnt even that bad (look at the points, theres not much seperating top from bottom, its usually around 15 points)

6th place for away games is excellent i think, if your aiming for promotion experience tells me you need to at least be in the top 10. The best away record in the league for me last year was W10 D1 L12 and second was W7 D7 L9, i think alot of people are expecting it to be like older versions of FM where you used to be able to go and attack teams like you would as if you were at home, those 2 away forms show that those teams didnt even win half of their away games and yet those were the best away forms in the league which emphasises my point that you should aim for the draw away from home and the win is a bonus and you shouldnt be downhearted by a loss (this is with regards to leagues below the prem btw, the premiership is different, though its the same if your aiming for europe but for aiming for the title you obviously need to win the majority of away games) i bet if you all looked at your away form and compared it to the rest of the league you would find that it isnt even that bad (look at the points, theres not much seperating top from bottom, its usually around 15 points)

The problem for me at least is not just the results, but the way the matches go. With good and proven tactic, against weaker opponent in away match, AI team begin to play like Barcelona and then nothing helps. They overrun me completely. Then I meet same team in my home match and have an easy 3-0 win. That is just plain stupid! Of course there should be some advantage to home team but this latest patch overdoes it by a mile!

I would reccomend using a defensive counter attacking away tactic, to look at the game and see where it's going to be won. At half time, if the scores a still level and i'm creating good chances and playing well, i would switch to a more attacking formation, with counter attack unchecked. However, if when using my away tactic, a go a goal down, immediately switch to a more attacking system to try and rectify the situation.

I'm using patch 9.3 and seeing no real changes from the previous patch in terms of away games which some people are noting.

I would reccomend using a defensive counter attacking away tactic, to look at the game and see where it's going to be won. At half time, if the scores a still level and i'm creating good chances and playing well, i would switch to a more attacking formation, with counter attack unchecked. However, if when using my away tactic, a go a goal down, immediately switch to a more attacking system to try and rectify the situation.

I'm using patch 9.3 and seeing no real changes from the previous patch in terms of away games which some people are noting.

And your team is?

The problem for me at least is not just the results, but the way the matches go. With good and proven tactic, against weaker opponent in away match, AI team begin to play like Barcelona and then nothing helps. They overrun me completely. Then I meet same team in my home match and have an easy 3-0 win. That is just plain stupid! Of course there should be some advantage to home team but this latest patch overdoes it by a mile!

Players are more confident on their home turf as players are also less confident away, yes it is difficult to win away, and whilst the match may not be realistic (as you say that teams play like barca which sometimes they do) the result and match statistics are.

Take a look at this, its the away table for the championship so far this season, then take a look at this, its the away table for the championship last season in my current FM save, see how similar they are in terms of points and form (with the exception of wolves irl, but theyve hit a bad spell and their results will even out). Also if your clever you can see from the real life table from interpretating the away losses against the draws and wins that teams try and at least draw away.

I would have a guess and say a lot of you are playing too defensively away from home.

Maybe try a more balanced approach. Have a look at the scout reports too. I might even be that you need to attack away from home if you are a big club against smaller teams.

C.

I have read about your approach to the tactics and have even taken some of your ideas. You know, I can play this game. As I have written, in my current Porsmouth save I have not had a single loss in my fourth season (In in January). But I have a world class team there. Why dont you (or someone else) play a season with Espanyol to prove me wrong and get a good away success. I have tried defensive, balanced, semi-attacking and attacking approach, nothing helps. And with same tactic set, lost only 3 home games (all against big teams) by a goal. So the problem is not tactics, problem is that home advantage has been overdone for this latest patch.

Players are more confident on their home turf as players are also less confident away, yes it is difficult to win away, and whilst the match may not be realistic (as you say that teams play like barca which sometimes they do) the result and match statistics are.

Take a look at this, its the away table for the championship so far this season, then take a look at this, its the away table for the championship last season in my current FM save, see how similar they are in terms of points and form (with the exception of wolves irl, but theyve hit a bad spell and their results will even out). Also if your clever you can see from the real life table from interpretating the away losses against the draws and wins that teams try and at least draw away.

Yeah, I know it reflects the real life, but it still has been overdone. IRL games are mostly still quite even games. But in FM home team with worse players than its opponent, wins match 3-0, and shots something like 26-4. Its ridiculous. You should at least feel like you are in the match. But when some relegation fodder-team plays like Barcelona and my better team cant do anything about that, is that right? What is the fun in the fame if you cant make your team overperfom (compared to real life) at least in some seasons? Because now its all but impossible. Only when you get better players, you will have more success and when your team is world class, the game is TOO easy.

Yeah, I know it reflects the real life, but it still has been overdone. IRL games are mostly still quite even games. But in FM home team with worse players than its opponent, wins match 3-0, and shots something like 26-4. Its ridiculous. You should at least feel like you are in the match. But when some relegation fodder-team plays like Barcelona and my better team cant do anything about that, is that right? What is the fun in the fame if you cant make your team overperfom (compared to real life) at least in some seasons? Because now its all but impossible. Only when you get better players, you will have more success and when your team is world class, the game is TOO easy.

I do understand where your coming from and it could either need fixing or be highly accurate, is this happening to you all throughout the season or around abouts after febuary, irl thats when many relegation battlers give everything theyve got as they have nothing to loose, Crewe Alexandra are the best example of this so far this year, we were a ridiculas amount of points off getting out of the relegation zone but something like 6 wins 1 draw 1 loss in 8 pulled us out, in the process thumping top teams on their grounds. I think it could do with being toned down slightly.

Its silly really. Its now february 9, 2011 in my QPR game. Only the top 5 teams in the premier league have won more away games than they have lost. Myself, I havent won an away game in over 5 months, despite me being nr. 9 in the table.

You know, I can play this game. As I have written, in my current Porsmouth save I have not had a single loss in my fourth season (In in January). But I have a world class team there.

I wasn't trying to say that you can't play this game. :)

I know this is an obvious thing that has already been said but it is much harder to win away than at home. Teams that are aiming to finish at the top of their divisions are normally aiming to win all of their home games and to draw their away games in order to get the magic 2 points per game average. The team expecting to win the title will be expecting to do slightly more than this and will probably want to win their away games against sides in the lower half of the table and draw away games against the top half.

If we take the Blue Square South currently, just because I particularly follow that division, AFC Wimbledon are the top side by 6 points with an average of about 2.2 points a game. They have only actually managed to win 50% of their away games. That's from the very top team. An average team in the division, let's take St. Albans City :D, have won only 30% of their away games.

Anyway, my point is an obvious one, which is that it should be harder to play away from home.

Why dont you (or someone else) play a season with Espanyol to prove me wrong and get a good away success. I have tried defensive, balanced, semi-attacking and attacking approach, nothing helps. And with same tactic set, lost only 3 home games (all against big teams) by a goal. So the problem is not tactics, problem is that home advantage has been overdone for this latest patch.

You've answered your own question when you said that you have a world class team with Portsmouth. I put forward the idea that this is not tactical (although you have been trying a lot of different approaches, which can't have helped).

Now, I don't know anything about your Espanyol squad but might it be that they are a young team? Perhaps they are inconsistent and perhaps they don't play well in the important matches. Check coach reports to see if this might be the case. At home, this might not make so much difference as you have home advantage and a solid tactics set. Away, it could make all the difference, especially if you are tweaking and changing tactics as well.

Could it also be that they have a different personality type to your Portsmouth team that is potentially more difficult to manage? Perhaps your Pompey team is full of determined and professional players who turn up to every match and perform solidly and don't get frustrated easily. Maybe your Espanyol team are full of less determined, ambitious players who turn up wanting to win and then get frustrated when things go wrong and don't have the determination to turn things around.

Linking to the point above, could team talks be the difference? Are you being demanding enough? Are you being too demanding? Your squad's personality will have a lot to do with this. Also check your team talk feedback. Try to work out if a poor team talk caused the problems.

These are just a couple of non-tactical ideas as you say that you feel you have a solid tactics set.

C.

Ennyzor IRL lots of sides are great at home and struggle away, look at Fulham and Man City. I think you need to play a lot more conservative away, not neccessarily defensive but more conservative.

Well, did try a lot of things, and im not saying that it might not be me thats just failing with my tactics. But some of the games ive lost is due to 35-40 yards longshot goals. Got Ochoa in goal, so find it kinda silly really.

"You can DOMINATE away game as long as you play teams of EQUAL STRENGTH or LOWER." - quote by me.

I played Man Utd and so far in this season I have win 23 games, draw 1 game away, no lost. Granted so far I have only come back away from Chelsea, Liverpool, Inter and all come back triumphant. The draw was against Man City, they was good.

Granted I'm still tweaking my tactics, but I think it is possible to create tactics that satisfy my quote. How about team that are stronger than you? I don't know, I never want to try any other team than Man Utd so I guess I will leave the job for those who wish to quote:

"You can WIN all games doesn't matter home or away in FM 2009".

As I posted in another thread...

My away record last season: w8, d9, l4.

Playing with St. Albans City as well so not a quality side. :D

My friend's record so far this season in the Blue Square Premier with St. Albans (promoted last year and predicted to finish in the relegation places) is two out of two wins away.

No away problems. :thup:

C.

As I posted in another thread...

My away record last season: w8, d9, l4.

Playing with St. Albans City as well so not a quality side. :D

My friend's record so far this season in the Blue Square Premier with St. Albans (promoted last year and predicted to finish in the relegation places) is two out of two wins away.

No away problems. :thup:

C.

Well, happy for you then. I wrote somewhere that the problem is not so evident in top class or "bad" teams. Do you really think that so many people have complaining just for fun?! There is obvious faults in this latest patch. That is a fact. Its not "game" anymore, its stupid fight against unbalanced match engine.

I was going to make this same point. I'm playing with Notts County and the general theme is we win every game at home, with a few draws, the odd defeat, and we lose every game away, with a few draws, the odd victory.

But i agree with what Bob says really. In real life you would at that level be aiming for winning at home and drawing away, so the two contrasting so much is realistic.

A lot depends on how you set up, which is the difficult part i've found. Having a counter-attack tactic which still allows you to have an even performance and stand a reasonable chance of taking something from the match. I did win my last match though, so maybe i'm onto something, albeit against a lowly side. My advice is don't go overly defensive else you just come under too much pressure and can't get out of your own half, but don't try and control things too much either like you would at home.

Lerho - did you take on board any of the things I said to you in the other thread? Perhaps you can make your away form better?

C.

I tried when I started my second season. Didnt help. Have to go back to patch 9.0.2 or to play world class team.

I tried when I started my second season. Didnt help. Have to go back to patch 9.0.2 or to play world class team.

Upload your save and I will have a shot at it this evening if you like?

Be great if you could upload it so it is on an away game ready to play.

I'm struggling to believe in this away problem because I haven't seen anything unrealistic in my game so far.

C.

I am trying to solve the problem reloading the same game, I am top of the league playing away the team who are bottom. So far i have not won in 15 matches. I can dominate the first half but the second half, especially if i am leading is a joke. Last game they had 15 shots and 65% possesion in the second half, my players could not get near them it was like watching Barcelona vs The Dog and Duck.

They jusy cannot get the balance of the game right, solving one problem creates another. This particular problem is very frustrating and puts me off playing the game totally, again.

Why Paul C or wwfan do not comment this, this is an issue and they have nothing to say about it.

If this is not an issue give us the solution.

It is evident when any team attacks they play like Barca which is really unrealistic.

I've started using crouchaldinho's defensive tactics away and results have started to improve, ie dull 0-0's and the occasional win. Go ultra defensive and try and grind out a point seems to be the way.

Contrasts sharply with my home form though; exciting, high scoring wins.

I can take losing its just the disparity between home and away form i find difficult to handle.

There is a general rule I have when playing matches. Depending on the kind of team I'm managing:

Quality Side

Home - Since most teams will play defensively against me, I tend to play a more measured style of football (balanced by most peoples standard, typified by short passing, slow tempo, and a normal defensive line. The whole goal is to get teams to come out and create more space for my players. I could employ a variety of formations, but my favorite formation is the "arrowhead" 4231 which gives me a lot of options in attack, and is very solid defensively.

Away - Being a top side doesn't give me any problems, however, I do change passing options upfront. I tend to play a more direct style of football. I would play nearly the same way, since odds are the opposing team will play more defensively. However if I'm faced with a team that is my equal then I have to adopt a slightly different stance which would see me either take to the field with the same formation, but with a narrower width.

Average side - Same things apply, though this time around, I adjust width. Since most teams will come attacking at me, I need to balance. I'd look at what the other side has on the pitch and then choose a formation accordingly. I have settled on an arrowhead formation since its the best one to counter formations that are either diamonds or 433's. If a formation has a DMC or an AMC the arrowhead formation allows me to shut down their DMC and AMC which is crucial in maintaining possession and creating pressure.

Away from home, I would reduce width and take a more direct approach especially upfront.

Why Paul C or wwfan do not comment this, this is an issue and they have nothing to say about it.

If this is not an issue give us the solution.

It is evident when any team attacks they play like Barca which is really unrealistic.

I offered to help the OP if he uploaded a pkm. He hasn't. I also don't think struggling to win away is an issue.

I offered to help the OP if he uploaded a pkm. He hasn't. I also don't think struggling to win away is an issue.

Yeah, it was a kind offer, thank you. It just seems that something is wrong, when i have been playing real football all my life, these manager games over 10 years and never had this kind of problems before. What kind of gaming it is, if you have to use some other people tactics to somehow succeed?! Maybe if you are beginner, but certainly not in my case! Then something has really gone wrong. I have asked has there been given too much advantage to home team in patch 9.0.3 (because obviously it has changed since 9.0.2), could you answer to that question? And really its ridiculous that now me and my friend have to revert back to patch 9.0.2 even with all its bugs, because there the balance was just about spot on between home and away games, no matter what kind of team you played. In 9.0.3 that is not the case and because of that, game is not fun and certainly not logical when out of the blue the likes of Getafe and Betis play like Barcelona, hammering 25 shots and know matter how smart you play (and this means common knowledge of passing, def line, mentality, individual orders etc.) you cant do nothing about that!

And finally, now, its not because of tactics, because with great team Im in january without losing any game in EPL or UCL. So it has to be with game balance between home and away games when we are talking about "average" team. I dont expect to win every match with that kind of a team but with a good and proven tactic set away record of 1-4-14 is laughable!

To succeed in this game you absolutely need to know what formation to use when.

:thup:

I agree with this. In my current save, my default formation is a 4231 but sometimes I have to play a 41221 instead and at some games when I still want to use my Attack Home version but the Opposition plays a quick counter game with advanced wingers, I tend to go for a 4411 instead so that I can still use my attacking fullbacks.

(For those who struggles, try watching a full match( replay) of the matches were the opposition outplayed you and were their central midfielders had a ridiculously high pass-completion. You will probably see that they used "triangles", outnumbered your players in almost every situation. In this case it does does not matter if you have given your players/team the perfect instructions if the formation on the field is wrong from the start

Whenever I come across a person who is struggling to win away matches, it inevitably boils down to formation selection...NOT TACTIC. You need to understand how different formations attack you. For instance if playing against a stronger team with a 433..u choose to maintain a 4231 formation, chances are you will find yourself getting slaughtered, in a formation that is attacking you with a centrally placed DMC you could find that passes are finding their way to the flanks far too easily.

If I'm managing a side like Liverpool or United, I don't have issues playing home or away, chances are I just make adjustments and have 3 different kinds of tactics..one that opens them up on the flanks, another through the middle and one that is balanced. If I'm managing a side like Newcastle then I have to pay attention to what the AI comes up with, if its an Aston Villa team...I worry about the flanks and their strong targetmen in the middle and focus on setting up a tactic that keeps them from having easy shots...so I could sit back with a 4411 and then opt to mirror that with an attacking 4231 if the need arises.

If you are losing a lot of away games, it isn't the fault of the engine, one must be willing to sit back and admit that they have been outplayed. The only way you are going to get better is by learning how to play the game differently. Understandably this is not easy for loads of people and I for one don't have the time to sit down and dissect the information so that I can produce a perfect season. Its too hard and for some a welcome relief.

Archived