Solid and winning 442 (9.03)

New FM and a new chalenge to develop a good tactic or set of them. As i posted on last edition , there aren´t any secret formulas, all managers must have knowledge of football and comon sense or their choices. this is the first rule.

So last year i posted a tactit thread wich helped may "managers on distress" with a set i developed wich was very ofensive and succesfull, but as i predicted is a complete mess on FM 2009, and i´m glad that is. i think you undestand why.

This year i confess i had some doughts in what way i should appoach the game, in terms of style of play and the tactic set to use. I´ve always been a 442 fan but in many FM / CM series this wasn´t the best way to accomplish success. So in every year i started trying to build a good tactic based on the 4-4-2 formation. This year wasn´t exception ... (I miss the 91/92 CM in wich with a 3-4-3 i ruled the world ! or CM2 with ronaldo and rosler scoring 150 goals togheter, that was fan but unrealistic we all know) . So after doing a couple of seasons in Portugal with Benfica and winning both leagues i decided to try my luck on a much complicated championship, i started a Spurs game. Soon enough i confirm my suspicion , winning in Portugal doesn´t teel you anything because the competion is not very good, so my first season was completly dedicated to rebuilding the tactic , tweaking it several times and hoping next year will be better. Finished 4th and gain an unexpected Champions access. Next season i won champions league and finished 2nd because Man City made 98 points i went 5 behind. On the 3rd season i won champions league again and battle with arsenal till the end for the title, won it with 96 pts plus 6 than the gunners .

So after winning 2 times in a row Champions League (for me the hardest trophy to get) and won the premier league i became confident that this was a good tactic.

For a more solid knowledge i started a AC Milan game, first season finished 2nd but made a good season , Inter made a super Serie A . reached Semis in Euro Cup lost very unfortunately . 2nd season won Serie A, won Italian Cup and reached CL 1/4 finals knocked out in a very unfair way by Real Madrid (it´s because of games like this i think CL is the most hard thing to get ) .

This is just a introduction to all of you have an idea of things.

Regarding the tactic :

Its a 4-4-2 set of attacking and balanced.

the attacking / Balanced versions team instructions:

Ment - 14/10

CF - 13/10

Pass - 5/8

Tempo 6/10

Width - 14/10

Press - 12/10

TW - 0/10

Def.Line - 14/10

Tacking - Hard/Normal

Mixed Focus Passing for both sets

Zonal Marking for both sets

Mixed target man service for both sets

Only tick Off Side / Only tick counter attack

So this is just only to get the idea because you can see this and all of the tactic details and individual player instructions by downloading it.

NOTE: If you are a good team with a good bunch of players leave it like this. If you have a weaker team switch Passing and Tempo to Mixed

I hope you guys can post some feedback.

IMPORTANT : This final version is a merge of my developed original tactic and of the tactic that was built using the instructions of the post Simplicity So has a strong influence of a fellow manager with wich i debated some very interesting issues regarding the ways and true meaning of all the team and individual instructions. Thanks to he and to his post Simplicity wich allowed me to upgrade some aspects of the tactic because i understood better the way they function in the game. A big cheers o Mr. CROUCHALDINHO. without his help this set dindn´t exist . Many Thanks C.

http://files.filefront.com/the+packrar/;13431112;/fileinfo.html

Please give feedback if you download it so i can see in what way it can be improved. to me is solid good know but sure it can be improved

Cheers

ok when I use attacking and when I use the balanced tac?

I want to play it with a lower league side, so in both tactics set tempo enad passing to mixed?

Yes.

This is to be used with comon sense, there aren´t a exact guide on how you should choose just hints so i use attacking in all home games (but this is because i´m a strong team , if you are a 15th placed team and you recieve the league leades maybe you should use balanced. When i´m playing away i start with balance agains teams like my own or better ones. during the game if i´m unhappy i switch to the other version to see if it solves the problem , sometimes do , sometimes don´t, this is where team talks, opposition instructions are also important. A good talk before and during half time could change a draw in to a win.

Try like this and change it if you like it :

Weaker Teams :

Home as favourite - attacking

Home as non favourite - balanced

Away always balanced

Stonger teams

home attacking

away only against better or same strenght teams balanced

Odds

home fav. - expect a win (team with good morale) you can win or play for fans (low morale)

away fav - expect a win " " " " "

home non fav - you can win or play for the fans

away non fav - " " " "

Half time

drawing

(unlucky) - motivate saying that they can win

(playing bad - disapointing

losing

1 goal unlucky - you can win or play for the fans (if it's a cup or derby game)

1 goal or 2 playing bad - disapointing

3 goals - Angry

wining

1 goal luckly - disapointing

1 goal balanced or dominating - encourage

2 - dont fall asleep

3 - satisfied

Final

praise a good win

dont praise a win if it was not convincnig against weaker team

praise a away draw against stronger team of it wasn´due to luck

recgnozie a come back and a good efort fighting for a result agains a strong team even if it turned out on a defeat

Important to maximize your player abbilites

Give only very creative freedom to 1 or 2 max players you have any strong on creativity and decisions and technique (a winger , att midfielder and left striker wich is generaly the more techinician and pacy)

Put you best Central Defender on heading on the left side of defence

give long shots to 1/2 midfilders if you have any with above 15

Opposition

Give a look at the scout report and try to diminuish their majors threaths. But do so Only if you feel you have the type of players to do so. i.e. the opp main threath is the left winger, very pacy and tecnical player. you can put him undeer tight man marking only if you have a very pacy and with good marking and anticipation right full back or if you are against a target man with good heading its important you try to stop him with your strongest defender in ther air if you have any, if not try that he plays outside de area by forwarding you defence line , get it?

there are some hints of the tactic that i didn´t explain because i´m sure onde you look at the player instructions you will know, like for instance the right and left striker. on the left the pacy , finishing and technical forward on the right the more stonger and good heading.

But feel free to ask any dought.

cheers

What training do you use?

A very simple schedule i built .

GK

Phisical hard

GK Intensive

tactics ball control and set pieces medium

all of the rest none

the workload can´t reach hard

Field players

Phisical 4 notches in miedium

GK none

all the rest 3 notches in medium

what player specifications are we looking at ric? strikers? fast strong? wingers? etc... thanks

won first match 3-0 btw but was last day of season against bottom club so have not got a game for a while

Central Defenders - tackling, marking,heading,anticipation,bravery,pace and positioning

full backs - tackling, anticipation positioning, crossing marking

defensive midfileder- tackling, work rate resistance passing marking

attacking midfielder - passing , dribling, technique, creativity, decisions

wingers - pace, drible, technique crossing passing

strong forward - strenght, headinh, off the ball passing finishing

pace striher - finishing , pace dribling, technique off the ball

Wow. Got the Arsenal job in 2013. Not the best of Arsenal teams, so have been a bit inconsistent. Started a match against Juventus in CL with the balanced tactic. Ran riot. Was 4-0 up after 19 minutes. Even Walcott scored with a header:)

They got a man sent off after that, I switched to attack. Created more chances but the match ended 4-0. I know it is only one game, but this looked very promising. Looking forward to try more.

Wow. Got the Arsenal job in 2013. Not the best of Arsenal teams, so have been a bit inconsistent. Started a match against Juventus in CL with the balanced tactic. Ran riot. Was 4-0 up after 19 minutes. Even Walcott scored with a header:)

They got a man sent off after that, I switched to attack. Created more chances but the match ended 4-0. I know it is only one game, but this looked very promising. Looking forward to try more.

please report more feedback when you progress further in the season.

tks

A very simple schedule i built .

GK

Phisical hard

GK Intensive

tactics ball control and set pieces medium

all of the rest none

Field players

Phisical 4 notches in miedium

GK none

all the rest 3 notches in medium

Phisical??? Do you mean aerobic or strength training??

So far so good with the tactics! Using Spurs too as always but in the league I am 6th p20 w9 d9 L2 for 30 ag 20! I cant kill kill of the teams - too many draws!

amer in what season are you ? starting eleven? are you using both tactics ? how do you choose ? i agree there are to may draws, and not a very good goal diference. please answer these questoins so i can try to help.

cheers

amer in what season are you ? starting eleven? are you using both tactics ? how do you choose ? i agree there are to may draws, and not a very good goal diference. please answer these questoins so i can try to help.

cheers

1 - First Season

2 - gomes

rafinha woodgate king bale

bentley veloso w.palacios modric

pavlychenco defoe

3 - Attack mostly at home

Balanced against stronger teams and away games

im having a problem with the balanced version, im using a saved game in which i started on 9.2.0 and have patched it to 9.3.0 and my tactics are very incosistent now, everytime i use the balanced version i get battered with chances and then concede a gola and have to go back to attack, attack is ok for now but it will not take long for the AI to get on to it....

It seems like every balanced or defensive version i have ever used i get hammered with the only way i can defend is to attack....

1 - First Season

2 - gomes

rafinha woodgate king bale

bentley veloso w.palacios modric

pavlychenco defoe

3 - Attack mostly at home

Balanced against stronger teams and away games

ok, first the central defenders are not the best choice to play in the attacking tactic because they are a bit slow. this formation requires a double pacy defenders with good mental values to play the offside trap and the other normal atributes, maybe this explain a bit the 20 golas concedeed , try and se if there is many goals concedeed by passes to the back of your defence , see what i mean?

second the two strikers are not bright, altough they are correctly picked , specialy PAVly it´s not a good striker at least with me, when you have the chance invest on another player

trhird palacios is not the right choice for this position put modric that suits well on the AMc and dos santos if you still have him on the left side of the midfielder, buy Albin the uruguayan winger great and cheap

tell me your home and away record and how the games you didnt win turned out i mean if you at least deserved it , stats if you can.

hope this helps a bit

im having a problem with the balanced version, im using a saved game in which i started on 9.2.0 and have patched it to 9.3.0 and my tactics are very incosistent now, everytime i use the balanced version i get battered with chances and then concede a gola and have to go back to attack, attack is ok for now but it will not take long for the AI to get on to it....

It seems like every balanced or defensive version i have ever used i get hammered with the only way i can defend is to attack....

that didin´t happen to me at least yet. sometimes i start with balance things don´t go as well as i plan it´s true and sometimes a change to attack do the trick, but others this balanced set allows me to dominate and win on away games very difficult, last season i beat arsenal, chelsea and draw in old trafford using balanced.

But if you are more convinced with the attack version so start with this set and if you are being dominated switch to balance, maybe this works for you. Bare in mind the stats of your defence as i told before they are very important in attack set .

when you are beeing hammered try to see what key players the opposition are playing and try to stop them with intructions at half time.

cheers

so many views and such little replys...

i hope everybody who downloaded the tactic is to busy with success to come here and give some feedback... lol

cheers

very funny

Im finding the balanced more useful now but lets wait and see. Its a shame you cant use one tactic for every game.

so many views and such little replys...

i hope everybody who downloaded the tactic is to busy with success to come here and give some feedback... lol

cheers

Hey ricrpor, I must say, I don't really reply to forums but your tactic has saved my Palermo team! So far 10 straight wins!

I've been trying to tackle the 9.3.0 patch but couldn't find a tactic that is both beautiful to watch and effective. I think this tactic is so far the best tactic for the new 9.3.0 patch. I'll update my final results soon!

So far so good for me, 4th season with Parma and we've been a mid table Serie A side for the last 2 seasons, this year we should be pushing for a European spot, but were in 10th in January. Lost my 1st game at home to Inter 1-0 with this but since then have won 4 on the bounce, including a brilliant 3-1 away win at Roma.

It seems a stable tactic that gets the best out of decent players. Admittedly we aren't world beaters, but we are better than what we were doing before this tactic. Will keep if going and see how it pans out over time.

very funny

Im finding the balanced more useful now but lets wait and see. Its a shame you cant use one tactic for every game.

yeah, this time one tactic my not do the trick, maybe SI intended to be like this, it´s some more realistic i agree, most of the teams even the stonger ones don´t play all season games the same.

Amer Did you find any help on the previous sugestions i made?

Hey ricrpor, I must say, I don't really reply to forums but your tactic has saved my Palermo team! So far 10 straight wins!

I've been trying to tackle the 9.3.0 patch but couldn't find a tactic that is both beautiful to watch and effective. I think this tactic is so far the best tactic for the new 9.3.0 patch. I'll update my final results soon!

This the reward anyone expects when posting a tactic... it´s like winning the CL .

Thanks a lot for the praise feedback. I'm very happy that is turning so good for you as is for me.

I´m very happy with the good feedback i´m receiving from everybody. I hope it remais like this.

I will post soon a training schedule i'm testing, i think this will help too.

cheers

yeah, this time one tactic my not do the trick, maybe SI intended to be like this, it´s some more realistic i agree, most of the teams even the stonger ones don´t play all season games the same.

Amer Did you find any help on the previous sugestions i made?

Yeah I will try and do what you said. Thanks

What season did you win the champions league with spurs?

What was the line up!

Did you use attack or balanced tactic more?

When did you use them?

Did you switch the the tactics around during the game?

How would you play the big 4 teams i.e liverpool, man u, chelsea and arsenal?

So far so good for me, 4th season with Parma and we've been a mid table Serie A side for the last 2 seasons, this year we should be pushing for a European spot, but were in 10th in January. Lost my 1st game at home to Inter 1-0 with this but since then have won 4 on the bounce, including a brilliant 3-1 away win at Roma.

It seems a stable tactic that gets the best out of decent players. Admittedly we aren't world beaters, but we are better than what we were doing before this tactic. Will keep if going and see how it pans out over time.

Nice! keep giving feedback. best luck

Yeah I will try and do what you said. Thanks

What season did you win the champions league with spurs?

What was the line up!

Did you use attack or balanced tactic more?

When did you use them?

Did you switch the the tactics around during the game?

How would you play the big 4 teams i.e liverpool, man u, chelsea and arsenal?

i won the CL on the 3rd and 4th season i´m know playing the 5th season with spurs

line up :

Gomes

Corluka

Woodgate

Colocini

Bale

Bentley

Veloso

Modric

Albin

Pandev

Robinho

i always started attacking and sometimes changed it to balanced (this answers 3 questions i believe)

regarding the big 4 i think this is to be decided depending the status of your team at the moment, if you see that you team morale is up and things are sorting out great try attacking if you are in balancing momentum be more conservative and start with balance.

one question for you. why do you choose so low tempo? I am currently testing your tactics with liverpool and will report back after a few more games.

im guessing low tempo is good to control stamina? if so i like low tempo tactics, i have not had a chance to play FM since my last post but will report on progress soon....

This the reward anyone expects when posting a tactic... it´s like winning the CL .

Thanks a lot for the praise feedback. I'm very happy that is turning so good for you as is for me.

I´m very happy with the good feedback i´m receiving from everybody. I hope it remais like this.

I will post soon a training schedule i'm testing, i think this will help too.

cheers

Just an update, I got 2nd place after Fiorentina in the Serie a. Had a chance to win but lost a crucial game against Roma away, but the fans are nevertheless delighted! Considering that I didn't buy any players at the start of the season, this is a great success. Brought in Cigarini as a replacement for Simplicio. Hoping to win the serie a this season with your tactic!

I am Watford in my first season in the prem. after winning promotion in my first. has anyone tried these tactics with a similar club? and which one would be best for a team struggling?

tried loads of tactis none seem to work that well. I am using 9.0.3

thanks

This tactic set appears to be very solid. I only found it at the end of my first season at Oldham with 5 matches left. I was 18-9-14 at that point and wasn't happy with any of the tactics I had tried. The last five games I used the balanced tactic and went 4-0-1. The ten matches prior to switching to your tactic, I had gone 4-3-3.

I am Watford in my first season in the prem. after winning promotion in my first. has anyone tried these tactics with a similar club? and which one would be best for a team struggling?

thanks

First season, 31 games in, first game with tactic. I am QPR away to Palace, played attacking as was feeling confident and won 4-0. Only first game, but all the stats are there in relation to possession and passign % so looks good.

Lee

been using the tactic for most of the 1st season with tottenham. only suffered 1 defeat and iv beaten man u, and also got some impressive away 1-0 which i had been struggling to get. im up 2 6th tactic is doing well. its a shame the transfer budget means you cant be more competitive in the transfer market, iv had to ben patient but almost all of my squad is wanted by aston villa, so il try and make some money from them at the end of season.

one question for you. why do you choose so low tempo? I am currently testing your tactics with liverpool and will report back after a few more games.

Because i´m attacking and normally the opposition is at the back and i need more time to build a scoring chance, when we play quickly it´s better if there are spaces on the attacking half of the pitch but playing quick usually turns on missing too many passes and making a lot of non-sense shots at goal. so when you have a good team it gives a more efective game in terms of creating scoring chances if you play more slowly.

hope its clear know.

please keep informing how things turned out.

tks

any tips vs formations like man city? 4-1-2-2-1. seem to struggle against them. Esp possession wise.

CHeers

i think this type of formation is the hardest one to fight. never the less now that i have a very good bunch of players i always start attacking home or away, sometime away i must change to balanced at halftime but it´s mainly doing the trick. just beat chelsea on stamford bridge 3-2 starting attacking was 1-1 at HT but beeing dominated so changed it and won.

The best way for me is always attacking at home, despite the oppostiono, against big 4 or euro major clubs pick one system and change during the game, mid first half or half time if things are not going as you plan.

don´t change just because you are loosing, see match stats se possessiong, % passes and crossing and shots, only change if they are dominating with a comfortable margin.

losing 0-1 but the game is balanced stay on track and hope the team can turn around i sugest half time team talks or maybe one or two player instructions .

I sugest also that of winnig but still being dominated change the system too.

im guessing low tempo is good to control stamina? if so i like low tempo tactics, i have not had a chance to play FM since my last post but will report on progress soon....

No. It´s not ment that way, i explain before why.

If you want to control stamina, you lower runs and closing down. this are the most effective on stamina

Just an update, I got 2nd place after Fiorentina in the Serie a. Had a chance to win but lost a crucial game against Roma away, but the fans are nevertheless delighted! Considering that I didn't buy any players at the start of the season, this is a great success. Brought in Cigarini as a replacement for Simplicio. Hoping to win the serie a this season with your tactic!

I hope too !!!

Good Luck

i think this type of formation is the hardest one to fight. never the less now that i have a very good bunch of players i always start attacking home or away, sometime away i must change to balanced at halftime but it´s mainly doing the trick. just beat chelsea on stamford bridge 3-2 starting attacking was 1-1 at HT but beeing dominated so changed it and won.

The best way for me is always attacking at home, despite the oppostiono, against big 4 or euro major clubs pick one system and change during the game, mid first half or half time if things are not going as you plan.

don´t change just because you are loosing, see match stats se possessiong, % passes and crossing and shots, only change if they are dominating with a comfortable margin.

losing 0-1 but the game is balanced stay on track and hope the team can turn around i sugest half time team talks or maybe one or two player instructions .

I sugest also that of winnig but still being dominated change the system too.

cheers for that reply. :D

back with an update. My liverpool team is doing great with this tactic. I just finished first season on a new 9.3 save. I won the title easily (didnt expect it for first season) with 11 points from the second. Only lost one and draw 5 which is amazing for liverpool first season. Balanced is doing wonders in hard matches or when you try to secure victory in last minutes (have scored lots on counter-attack). You are right about missed passes and long shots when setting tempo to high value. I experimented with it and suggest that a team with good players in the midfield can try to increase tempo if you see that you cannot score first goal against massively defending teams. You give them less time to prepare their defense once you get the ball so you can hit them fast. When i manage to score that first goal i lower tempo again. It has worked great for me.

Thanks for the tactics. They are really good and finally i have managed to get the most out of gerrard...

fantastic! keep it up you will definitely be the main contender at the tilte next season, tell me how it goes please.

thanks a lot for the feedback and best of luck

thanks

AlanSilver with your team i will recomend trying the balanced version at the start of matches and see how it goes. change it to att if you are being dominated. I´m particulary curious with how things would turn with your watford using this set. Please repost if you decide to use them.

cheers

This tactic set appears to be very solid. I only found it at the end of my first season at Oldham with 5 matches left. I was 18-9-14 at that point and wasn't happy with any of the tactics I had tried. The last five games I used the balanced tactic and went 4-0-1. The ten matches prior to switching to your tactic, I had gone 4-3-3.

i hope it remains like this. thanks for de feedback and keep coming back with news.

cheers

been using the tactic for most of the 1st season with tottenham. only suffered 1 defeat and iv beaten man u, and also got some impressive away 1-0 which i had been struggling to get. im up 2 6th tactic is doing well. its a shame the transfer budget means you cant be more competitive in the transfer market, iv had to ben patient but almost all of my squad is wanted by aston villa, so il try and make some money from them at the end of season.

next season you can start building a world classe team, great score for first season. keep it up!!

should any OIs be used???

as i said before :

"Opposition

Give a look at the scout report and try to diminuish their majors threaths. But do so Only if you feel you have the type of players to do so. i.e. the opp main threath is the left winger, very pacy and tecnical player. you can put him undeer tight man marking only if you have a very pacy and with good marking and anticipation right full back or if you are against a target man with good heading its important you try to stop him with your strongest defender in ther air if you have any, if not try that he plays outside de area by forwarding you defence line , get it?"

trying to stop on player or one team ? that's the point, tight man marking can stop one star player or not but even if it does if the opposition is strong as team wont do any particulary good because they will ha ve other ways to beat you, so i prefer trying to defend as team as a compact unit and try to stop the opposition as whole. if you deploy tight man marking to one of your defenders he will run around their target player through out the filed leaving his position and opening a way to another player to exploit that space , get it ?

Archived