The Duke: 4-4-2 v1

Evening all.

I don't profess to be a tactical genius, nor anything close to a genius at anything. However I've taken onboard the use of 'TacGrabber' after my fairly successful Fulham side stacked high with quality regens were thumped soundly in a Friendly (3-0) by Southampton, who are in the Championship.

From this original core, I've set player instructions and gradually tweaked the tactic to suit my squads needs.

The results since implementing this tactic into my squad have been somewhat remarkable in my opinion, especially the latest two fixtures.

resultsfulhamoc7.jpg

I'm hoping/thinking that the tactic has taken it's time to work into perfection, thus why my recent set of results have been somewhat outstanding!

My squad (Mainly all regens):

squadpositionsio1.jpg

Team Instructions:

teaminstructionsts6.jpg

I'm not saying this will work for you, so I expect to be bombarded with several posts calling this tactic useless, but it's working for me and thats all that matters. If you wish to give it a try then you can do so by the link below.

The Duke v1 (Right Click Save Target As)

Good luck with it!

are your strikers getting the majority of the goals?...........and does the MC wiv the forward arror get involved alot and gets many assists?, i wannt to play fabregas in that role but feel the forward runs wont do him many favours

The two guys I've played in the role of Defour (also used Sharaheeli there) have between them bagged, 8 goals and 8 assists. My strikers between them have scored 17 goals! The left Midfielder also scored a few aswell, but he is regarded as a 'wonderkid'.

Looks like this tactic could be tweaked a little further to allow extra stability in the midfield supporting the defense.

Hi mate, currently using your tactic in my second season with Dundee United. While not a huge team like Man Utd etc, I managed to finish second in the SPL in first season, although have lost keys players like Celso Borges and Neil Erdley for a tidy profit, I have a decent squad with the money brought in. My own tactic was starting to suffer, I went out the Champs league in the qualifiers although got through to the Euro Cup. I switched to your tactic, and sticking to my usual line up

Makaridze

Kovachevic Kenneth Diamond Spurr

Hakola McCarthey Buaban Kozlov

Moses Christianus

the tactic has been solid. 1-1 draw with Feyenoord in the first game at home! A good solid first performance with the squad I have, young, but with much potential. I have played now 12 games with your tactic and have won 9, drawn 3. Solid defense, only conceeding 5 goals, and scored 27. One problem from the tactic I have noticed is 4 goals conceeded are from corners, Ill be looking to tweak that, apart from that its solid, good use of wingers, and the midfield seem to get about opposite teams and break up attacks very reguarly.

Will keep you updated at the end of season 2.

the tactic has been solid. 1-1 draw with Feyenoord in the first game at home! A good solid first performance with the squad I have, young, but with much potential. I have played now 12 games with your tactic and have won 9, drawn 3. Solid defense, only conceeding 5 goals, and scored 27. One problem from the tactic I have noticed is 4 goals conceeded are from corners, Ill be looking to tweak that, apart from that its solid, good use of wingers, and the midfield seem to get about opposite teams and break up attacks very reguarly.

Will keep you updated at the end of season 2.

Good to see you having success with the tactic. I too have noticed the leaking of goals from set-pieces, especially corners. As mentioned in the first post I'm no tactical guru, so haven't really been into this area to tweak. Now you've mentioned it, I'll go and check that out myself to try and make some improvement. Still 9 wins and 3 draws is a solid run of results, sounds promising.

how is the striker set-up , which one goes where :) ? thx

The strikers are pretty much very similar, but I use the fast striker on the right hand side, and the more 'Target-Man' type on the left, these seem to bang the goals in. This could also be fine-tuned aswell I imagine to suit your squad and probably for a few extra goals, and again it is something I shall look into in due course.

Good to see you having success with the tactic. I too have noticed the leaking of goals from set-pieces, especially corners. As mentioned in the first post I'm no tactical guru, so haven't really been into this area to tweak. Now you've mentioned it, I'll go and check that out myself to try and make some improvement. Still 9 wins and 3 draws is a solid run of results, sounds promising.

Noticed aswell that I haven't scored from a corner yet either lol but your right, its simple things that can be worked on but the tactic itself works well with a smallish club. Drawn in a group with Genoa, Feyenoord and Sevilla so far I have beaten Sevilla away 1-0, Lost at home 3-2 to Genoa, and Drawn 1-1 home and away against Feyenoord, aswell as domestically beating Rangers away, showing its a great tactic when considered the underdog.

One thing I did notice is it helps to have your wingers with decent finishing, a lot of goals I noticed are one winger crossing to the other to score at back post.

Keep up the good work, like i said Ill keep you updated, I would think this tactic would work well at a higher level as it allows a good flowing passing game, and ill freely admit my midfield is not a patch on premiership level quality (hakola, buaban, mccarthy and kozlov) but they manage to outpass and out manoeveur any midfield so far.

Good to hear that Baz. I've been tweaking around with the corner instructions, and I've now scored 5 corners in the last 4 matches. Yeah I usually get wingers with good finishing abilities anyway, because there's going to be chances when a ball loops over everyone towards the back post, and boom!

You will obviously need to set your team correctly for the instructions, as I've done it specifically for mine, based on the old FM08 corner method.

Best Header: Challenge Goalkeeper

Next Best: Near Post Flick On

Third Best: Attack Ball From Deep

Fourth Best: Attack Far Post

Two best players at 'Long Shots' - Lurk outside area.

I've also set up a defensive strategy aswell for corners which appears to be keeping the goals out, and I'm unbeaten in the league now in the last 7 matches (2-1 loss at Old Trafford) and looking more tactically sound. I've also dropped the mentality slightly on the defensive central midfielder, and changed his passing to 'short'. He now sweeps up anything in the channel between defence/attack and leaves nothing to chance.

I've uploaded my tactic 'v2' for you to try, make sure your best heading DC is on the right hand side of centre, as he will play an important role in corners. Good luck!

The Duke v2 Tactic (Right Click Save Target As)

Good to hear that Baz. I've been tweaking around with the corner instructions, and I've now scored 5 corners in the last 4 matches. Yeah I usually get wingers with good finishing abilities anyway, because there's going to be chances when a ball loops over everyone towards the back post, and boom!

You will obviously need to set your team correctly for the instructions, as I've done it specifically for mine, based on the old FM08 corner method.

Best Header: Challenge Goalkeeper

Next Best: Near Post Flick On

Third Best: Attack Ball From Deep

Fourth Best: Attack Far Post

Two best players at 'Long Shots' - Lurk outside area.

I've also set up a defensive strategy aswell for corners which appears to be keeping the goals out, and I'm unbeaten in the league now in the last 7 matches (2-1 loss at Old Trafford) and looking more tactically sound. I've also dropped the mentality slightly on the defensive central midfielder, and changed his passing to 'short'. He now sweeps up anything in the channel between defence/attack and leaves nothing to chance.

I've uploaded my tactic 'v2' for you to try, make sure your best heading DC is on the right hand side of centre, as he will play an important role in corners. Good luck!

The Duke v2 Tactic (Right Click Save Target As)

Tried your tactic in four games, v2. won 4 out of 4 with Celtic.

Beat the following teams:

Hibs 2-0 H

Aberdeen 2-0 H

Hearts 2-1 A

Werder Bremen 4-2 H

If they were against massively inferior opposition, may be worth increasing the notch to be slightly more attacking in mentality. I've noticed it does struggle against the smaller teams from time to time, especially away from home.

will do mate. Next game is against Hamilton away so will try that out. :thup:

First match, lost 2-0 at home to Manchester United (I am managing Fulham in the first season). They had 19 shots and we had 7, BUT they only had 1 clear chance - in fact both their goals came from long range. On the other hand we managed to create two clear cut chances and had 7 shots overall, so on another day we could have easily got a point or three. Overall I am impressed by the organisation in this tactic and I will test it further :)

Duke I have to say I have noticed an improvement while using im in 2012-13 with Nottm Forest and I was shipping goals in league one but since using your tactic I had the following results in my 6 games.

Burnley W 1-0 (H)

Leyton Orient W 3-1(H)

Huddersfield W 3-1 (H)

Stockport W 4-2 (A)

Crystal Palace D 1-1 (A)

Hereford L 1-0 (H)

Baring in mind Burnley are flying on me I am going to use your tactic a lot more!

I don't usually download tactics for anything other than observation of how others do it but yours sounded good. I like my teams to play flowing, creative football but my current venture has me in the lower leagues and this is not-applicable so was looking for a more direct, constrained type of football, thought I'd let you know how I've got on (bare in mind i'm in Irish League 1 - VERY lower league, my team isn't bad tho with a decent defense and pace up front and on wings)

Dublin Uni 3-0 (Friendly, other team are very poor)

Shelbourne H 1-2

Kildare County A 5-3

Longford H 0-0

Monaghan Utd A 1-2

Athlone Town H 0-2

Limerick 37 A 3-2

2 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses

My team is new which may account for the many mistakes they are making which has consistently cost games (it may also be the players are pap).

BAD - Opposition strikers and midfielders get a lot of time in front of my defense and frequently get through. My only real way of scoring is my 2 DC's and MCd play around with it for a bit, then pass to my keeper who smashes a long ball infront to either of my quick strikers - haven't really created much else.

GOOD - My possession has been extraordinary, regularly exceed 60%, even away against much better teams. My wingers look to tuck in and help the attack which I like, rather than just making it their sole aim to own the corner flag. Can easily be adapted to drop a striker and play a DMC to bridge the gap between defense and midfield in times of need (unfortunately I'd don't have a decent, athletic DMC)

OTHER - Often when attacking my team splits into a distinct 5-5 split which I'm personally not a fan of but thats just preference. Ditto for the very low defensive line, despite my vast possession superiority I don't think I'm playing in the right area and defensively the low line has been stitching me up, its not so much the long shots but the way the opposition have plenty of time to get men forward and carve me up.

Not sure if this tactic is effective at this low level.

is it all a global/team instruction, or do you give individual instructions?

Individual instructions to selected players, along with some global to others.

Thanks for the posts/thoughts guys, I've just got in from work but I'll have a little catch-up with my final game on FM of the season (won Euro Cup again for 2nd time in 2 years), and then I'll look to get back with some thoughts/replies.

Also noticed the new patch has been released so this could effect how this tactic now works with the system, we shall see!

great tactic at home mate but iseem to struggle big time away. i am colchester united season 3 my 2nd in the championship. any ideas what i could do to make it a bit more defensive away? i have won 2 and lost 5 away and when i lose away it's not 1-0 2-1 etc it's 3-0 and 4-0 liking the style of play though!

Duke, little update. I have installed the patch and am quite pleased with the results. Before the patch I was starting to hit the sticky patch you seem to intermittently get with playing FM and playing with a small team like Dundee United, scraping 1-0 wins or drawing games, but was just getting by, installed the patch and now playing better football, couple of 4-0's and a 6-1 coupled with a draw against the bigot brothers and comfortable wins against Aberdeen Killie and Clyde. Im now using your 2nd tactic, and moving along quite nicely, would like to say though, there seems to be a massive difference in what strikers you need between versions, the first benefits from having a tall striker in right hand slot, where as i have noticed two fast strikers (I have Victor Moses and Macaulay Christianus) cause mayhem in the second tactic you brought out.

Im going to try this with crewe, im currently 5 games in and drawn 1 lost 4 so cant get any worse lol

How did you get on after switching to this tactic Gaz?

great tactic at home mate but iseem to struggle big time away. i am colchester united season 3 my 2nd in the championship. any ideas what i could do to make it a bit more defensive away? i have won 2 and lost 5 away and when i lose away it's not 1-0 2-1 etc it's 3-0 and 4-0 liking the style of play though!

Hm...I seem to have better success away from home, perhaps you could reduce the mentality down a little to defensive, and switch the passing to short, and reduce the 'tempo' a touch? I'll have a look tomorrow evening when I get back from work to see what could be done for you...i'd say it's the tempo/creative freedom issue off hand, as your players probably aren't overly great. Do you still have pretty much the same starting Colchester squad as the game begun with?

Im now using your 2nd tactic, and moving along quite nicely, would like to say though, there seems to be a massive difference in what strikers you need between versions, the first benefits from having a tall striker in right hand slot, where as i have noticed two fast strikers (I have Victor Moses and Macaulay Christianus) cause mayhem in the second tactic you brought out.

Very odd. As far as the strikers are concerned there is no difference between v1 and v2, this could be the patch that has brought about the change? Or you coming up against slow defenses/having a crap target man? The main reason which v2 was released was that the MC/d would drop back into a DMC role and provide support to the defense, more like an anchorman. Picking up the lose balls and sending it on the attack!

I'm looking on how further to improve this, and it could be to try and slow the tempo down a little as it seems pretty much end to end stuff, and when you are against the likes of Man Utd & co, sometimes that isn't good for the heart rate!

I've been messing around overnight with the tactic, tweaking here and there - and Oscar Cardozo has been ripping the goals in...hence my awesome GF record. However the most impressive aspect is the results, and the GA column. Thats unreal!

Infact, in the 22 games in total my Goalkeeper has played, he's kept 19 clean sheets and just 3 goals conceded (Liverpool, Maritimo, Valerenga).

fulhamtblxf6.jpg

Here's a screenshot of my Goalkeeper Salvatore Lippi....top notch!!

lippimv9.jpg

I think it could be down to the defender I signed in the close-season, Federico Fazio, he's been absolutely outstanding and we haven't lost a game in 27 matches (all year).

fazioga6.jpg

I'm going to continue testing the tactic for the remainder of the season, and if it continues to do as well, It'll be released as v3.

Hey Duke sorry for the delay, I havent had much chance to play FM with xmas but been back on today. Since I changed to the v2 tactics I have played 17, won 10, drawn 3 and lost 4 so its going quite well, from bottom of the league after 5 games i'm now 9th after 22 games. Had a really good result beating leicester away but just had my worst result losing 2-0 at home to cheltenham although we did have more clear chances. All my strikers are over 6ft which seems to work also. I'll keep going and I'll let you know how I get on

I've been messing around overnight with the tactic, tweaking here and there - and Oscar Cardozo has been ripping the goals in...hence my awesome GF record. However the most impressive aspect is the results, and the GA column. Thats unreal!

Infact, in the 22 games in total my Goalkeeper has played, he's kept 19 clean sheets and just 3 goals conceded (Liverpool, Maritimo, Valerenga).

fulhamtblxf6.jpg

Here's a screenshot of my Goalkeeper Salvatore Lippi....top notch!!

lippimv9.jpg

I think it could be down to the defender I signed in the close-season, Federico Fazio, he's been absolutely outstanding and we haven't lost a game in 27 matches (all year).

fazioga6.jpg

I'm going to continue testing the tactic for the remainder of the season, and if it continues to do as well, It'll be released as v3.

I will be interested to see this.

Archived