De Activation URL

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be a stupid question, but I'm not to smart when it comes to computers. I have to deactivate one of my seats, because I have to do a recovery of my harddrive. In the message at the deactive url it says the following:

"By deactivating a computer you will free up a license seat for Football Manager 2009. Freeing a license seat allows you to use your license key on a different/additional computer. However, the computers you deactivate will no longer be able to play Football Manager 2009."

Does this mean that I can't activate FM on the very same computer when I have recovered my harddrive?

This might be a stupid question, but I'm not to smart when it comes to computers. I have to deactivate one of my seats, because I have to do a recovery of my harddrive. In the message at the deactive url it says the following:

"By deactivating a computer you will free up a license seat for Football Manager 2009. Freeing a license seat allows you to use your license key on a different/additional computer. However, the computers you deactivate will no longer be able to play Football Manager 2009."

Does this mean that I can't activate FM on the very same computer when I have recovered my harddrive?

No, it means you can't play the game until it has been reactivated. You can uninstall/reinstall on the same machine as many times as you like.

Hey, according to this I've deactivated it, but when I start the game up through steam it still says that my game is activated, I had to deactivate it because my PC went boom but anyone know if it just takes a while to deactivate properly?

How would your installed copy find out that it has been deactivated? We've been told that the DRM only connects to the license-servers during activation, so it's impossible for an already activated install to stop working, if it's deactivated from a different computer.

Some (like me) sees this as a major oversight in the way the DRM works, which makes it more or less pointless (so many people would be able to play the game with a single key, by continuously freeing up seats by remotely deactivating already activated installs). Others believe that there actually is some brilliant way for an activated install to realize that is has been deactivated. Unfortunately there's a certain NDA (non-disclosure agreement) between SEGA and Uniloc, which prevents us from learning the details.

I do understand the need for the NDA though, because the only way of achieving what the DRM claims to do, would most likely involve contacting another dimension where the regular rules for how the internet works don't apply. I would want to keep such a technology secret as well ;)

How would your installed copy find out that it has been deactivated? We've been told that the DRM only connects to the license-servers during activation, so it's impossible for an already activated install to stop working, if it's deactivated from a different computer.

Some (like me) sees this as a major oversight in the way the DRM works, which makes it more or less pointless (so many people would be able to play the game with a single key, by continuously freeing up seats by remotely deactivating already activated installs).

I've been asking that question ever since the DRM was announced, and I NEVER got a clear answer. You can try opening a new thread in the general forum, or posting in an existing one, insisting on it over and over again. But no matter what you do, you'll be misteriously ignored or even accused by other users of repeating yourself, even if you never got the answer. So you can give up on it. It's clear that either the game calls home on startup (which breaks the 'rule' given to us about the game not contacting the DRM servers) or you can play the game on as many computers as you'd like by continuosly installing + deactivating copies (which would make the whole '5 seat' system pointless). Either way, they're not going to tell us.

When I realized the Deactivation URL didn't work, I was ironically thinking "Well... the weird thing would be that it actually worked somehow", thinking something along the lines of your paralell-dimension theory :D

I've been asking that question ever since the DRM was announced, and I NEVER got a clear answer. You can try opening a new thread in the general forum, or posting in an existing one, insisting on it over and over again. But no matter what you do, you'll be misteriously ignored or even accused by other users of repeating yourself, even if you never got the answer.

I know, and I remember seeing you ask it before. If you look at the good old Will the DRM on FM 09 stop you from buying the game? thread then you'll see that I've been chasing the answer for a long time too.

Besides being ignored and called repetitive, you should also be prepared for being called a tinfoil hat wearer by official SEGA representatives. Customer care is really great at the moment :rolleyes:

When I realized the Deactivation URL didn't work, I was ironically thinking "Well... the weird thing would be that it actually worked somehow", thinking something along the lines of your paralell-dimension theory :D

That's why I find this thread so interesting too – since we can't get an official answer, we can always observe other people's experience and use that to figure out the answer.

I'm not completely sure about the parallel-dimension theory, but it actually seems like the most likely explanation :D

Some (like me) sees this as a major oversight in the way the DRM works, which makes it more or less pointless (so many people would be able to play the game with a single key, by continuously freeing up seats by remotely deactivating already activated installs). Others believe that there actually is some brilliant way for an activated install to realize that is has been deactivated. Unfortunately there's a certain NDA (non-disclosure agreement) between SEGA and Uniloc, which prevents us from learning the details.

I do understand the need for the NDA though, because the only way of achieving what the DRM claims to do, would most likely involve contacting another dimension where the regular rules for how the internet works don't apply. I would want to keep such a technology secret as well ;)

Well when I reinstalled steam I reinstalled FM09, it let me do that no problem, but it asks for the key when you go to play ._.

When checking my activations the web site informs me that no games have been activated with the serial number I have!

Does anything involved with this DRM fiasco actually work?

Apart from the part where everyone has hell and it causes alot of problems then occasionaly activates the game i think the answer to your question is ummm no not really :p;)

Archived