FM24 - Arteta Sacked

In November 2023, with Arsenal sitting 5th.

I was hoping that this sort of thing was going to be sorted in FM24 😞.

In one of my FM23 saves just before 24 was released, Arteta, Klopp and Pep had left their respective clubs by the second season. It’s not great that mind. 

10 minutes ago, Curtains-2720 said:

I'm in 2027 and Arteta still manages Arsenal. Please stop cluttering this forum with every little complaint possible implying that 'something was not sorted'. 

To be fair, it is kind of irrelevant that Arteta is still manager in your save. It is more about the fact that he'd never be sacked in real life being 5th in November of 2023. 

Meanwhile in my save Nagelsmann has been back at Bayern for 9 years winning only a single DFB pokal in that period, currently is sitting 9th in the Bundesliga and his job security is still stable. :D

Also without actually knowing what the situation in the PL looks like it's impossible to judge whether Arteta would never be fired for being 5th. Yes, the board has been patient with him so far, but I'm guessing that the FM expectations for this season would be the title with their performance last season and major investments made into the squad? Sure, it'd be ridiculous if he was simply 3 points behind like Aston Villa currently is, but if the gap is already bigger I wouldn't be surprised if the board starts asking some questions.

15 minutes ago, Fox990 said:

For me this stuff is part of the fun. It may not be amazingly realistic but quite frankly neither is you or I managing a football club.

I get that but the game is fundamentally built around realism and being immersive. I actually struggle more with this stuff and Klopp leaving Liverpool to take over City than I do with a few more goals in the ME...different for everyone though I guess. 

I started my usual annual Career game started off in Malaysia with Perak FC, so I have a massive database running with lots of leagues running as playable in case jobs come up across the world that might interest me, but being Scottish I always keep an eye on the SPFL and the English leagues especially, this is where the problems arise. So i had already started my career game a few times and quit out of it due to the weird sackings, so used the editor and changed the likes of Nick Montgomery at Hibs who had joined Hibs after the season started, so changed his Board and Supporter confidence to 200, made sure his contract had started at the beginning of the season so he's viewed as a new appointment etc, not just him ive done this with the entire EPL especially De Zerbi at Brighton who gets sacked no matter where they finish. Soo away we go again with the edited db, Montgomery gets sacked by mid December, i'm right okay, Callum Davidson gets the job he gets sacked by March and I think its Mark McCormick whos an assistant somewhere who takes his place, season finished, He gets sacked also, Hibs 7th btw. So discounting Lee Johnson who in my game had already left thats 3 managers and looking for a 4th in one season, thats Jesus Gil levels of ownership right there. Also I run the Canadian League as its somewhere I thought might be interesting to go after Malaysia, so I checked there, Tommy Wheeldon Jr just been sacked, after winning the league, then I noticed that EVERY manager in the Canadian League had been sacked at the end of the season, is that normal? On the Hibs thing also, Hearts finished 8th and are on their 3rd manager as well, St Johnstone on 3, Aberdeen on 2, Dundee on 2 etc its a bit much

Just now, TonyD said:

I started my usual annual Career game started off in Malaysia with Perak FC, so I have a massive database running with lots of leagues running as playable in case jobs come up across the world that might interest me, but being Scottish I always keep an eye on the SPFL and the English leagues especially, this is where the problems arise. So i had already started my career game a few times and quit out of it due to the weird sackings, so used the editor and changed the likes of Nick Montgomery at Hibs who had joined Hibs after the season started, so changed his Board and Supporter confidence to 200, made sure his contract had started at the beginning of the season so he's viewed as a new appointment etc, not just him ive done this with the entire EPL especially De Zerbi at Brighton who gets sacked no matter where they finish. Soo away we go again with the edited db, Montgomery gets sacked by mid December, i'm right okay, Callum Davidson gets the job he gets sacked by March and I think its Mark McCormick whos an assistant somewhere who takes his place, season finished, He gets sacked also, Hibs 7th btw. So discounting Lee Johnson who in my game had already left thats 3 managers and looking for a 4th in one season, thats Jesus Gil levels of ownership right there. Also I run the Canadian League as its somewhere I thought might be interesting to go after Malaysia, so I checked there, Tommy Wheeldon Jr just been sacked, after winning the league, then I noticed that EVERY manager in the Canadian League had been sacked at the end of the season, is that normal? On the Hibs thing also, Hearts finished 8th and are on their 3rd manager as well, St Johnstone on 3, Aberdeen on 2, Dundee on 2 etc its a bit much

Ah Jesus Gil, gargantuan guy that naebody liked.  I say just enjoy the craziness, if you're going to quit your game every time there is a weird sacking or appointment you'll never get going.  My favourite was in FM19 or 20 Hibs had Maradona as manager, many years in game after he was dead in real life. I think he did pretty well too.  But real life is pretty unrealistic too.  Kompany at Burnley is a proper Football Manager appointment.  Gary Neville as Valencia manager? Nicholas Anelka's brother managing Raith Rovers? Too far stretched to believe mate.

18 minutes ago, TonyD said:

Sounds like your database is causing issues, because that seems way too extreme.

My save is the exact opposite with managers staying for incredibly long times, even if they don't perform that well. Montgomery was around until late 2028, Kettlewell his successor was there for 4 years, after that their next to managers only lasted a bit more than a year, but the board still looks far from trigger happy. De Zerbi also didn't get sacked in my save, he got poached by Juve after a while (although his career is lots of ups and downs and not all that successful). Looking at the SPFL, the only manager actually sacked in the first season was Kettlewell at Motherwell.

24 minutes ago, priority76 said:

Ah Jesus Gil, gargantuan guy that naebody liked.  I say just enjoy the craziness, if you're going to quit your game every time there is a weird sacking or appointment you'll never get going.  My favourite was in FM19 or 20 Hibs had Maradona as manager, many years in game after he was dead in real life. I think he did pretty well too.  But real life is pretty unrealistic too.  Kompany at Burnley is a proper Football Manager appointment.  Gary Neville as Valencia manager? Nicholas Anelka's brother managing Raith Rovers? Too far stretched to believe mate.

Exactly mate, there has been a few appointments in the last year that I wouldn't have believed. Potter at Chelsea? Luis Enrique at PSG? Ancelotti at Everton? 

I have played a few save’s and Arteta always stays long at Arsenal in them all. Whenever he was close to the sack he’d win the FA Cup or Europa League. 

Pep is a lot more dominant to. Klopp always seems to go to Madrid after Ancelotti leaves. No issues for me

I have no idea what is the purpose of this post. SI should create a game with months where managers can't be sacked? They should perfectly recreate reality? 

When you create a new save, so many things can go wrong for every manager. When you create a new save game, and when you click "continue" for the first time, every connection with the real world is gone. Everything will be different and nothing has to be 100% realistic. It is a game. And it should be different.

I can definitely sympathise with the OP, I am someone who is a bit obsessed with realism in games and when something like this happens it does sort of ruin the immersive-ness of the game, and I'm suddenly reminded that I'm in a video game. It's like the game is trying to suggest that someone like Mikel Arteta is a bad manager. It's also frustrating when the opposite happens, where one manager or one team in the league is completely overpowered, like Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp have been in FM22 and FM23.  

On 23/11/2023 at 16:03, priority76 said:

Edgar Davids at Barnet is always my go to.

Can you imagine the threads on here calling it unrealistic if happened in game but didn't in real life?

On 23/11/2023 at 16:03, priority76 said:

Had a wee chuckle to myself there as I was involved to an extent with the Claude Anelka affair at Raith, as my uncle was joint owner of the club at the time. Claude in fact paid £200,000 of his own money to get to take the job, brought in about 20 French joiners who claimed to be footballers, 2 or 3 where decent but it was a shambles from start to finish

Completely agree with the OP. I get any manager can be sacked if they're in 5th but expecting to be in the title race, however context is everything.

In my save he was 5th in November BUT was only 3 points off the top 4. There is no way he'd be sacked IRL in that scenario. So people can defend the lack of nuance all they want but that really took the realism out of the game for me. As detailed as the game is, it's annoying that it didn't pick this up. Seems like it just looks at position in the table without looking at any other factors. What if you're lower in the table but have like 3 games in hand.

Furthermore, something else which is stupid is the scenario where a manager who is just about to get promoted to the premier league takes over a club that is about to get relegated from the premier just because they have a slightly better reputation. When has that ever happened in real life? SI dropped the ball with that one