Help to find balance between processing speed and immersion for Northern European save.

Hi, mates! I have very average laptop for FM (I would say even very slow If you compare with those one in Benchmark Thread here) (AMD Ryzen 7 4700U, 2 - 4.1 GHz, 16Gb DDR4).

With plan to start save in Denmark as full game releases I have dilemma how to set-up balanced game world for both strong competitive fixtures in Europe for long-term and realistic transfer market with all Northern European countries involved.  

This set-up I see ideal for me for full immersion: 

1. Top 5 leagues (2 tiers)

2. Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium, Austria, Turkey (1 tier)

3. Denmark (4 tiers), Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Finland (2 tiers).

+ All international players and all players with continental reputation from all continents, all players from clubs in continental competitions (for Europe).

So totally 15 countries, 27 leagues, ~90k players (large database and "original" game world, probably minimum detail level).

For last editions my usual set-up was like 10 countries, 17 leagues, ~80k players and I was pretty satisfied with game speed. But with +10 leagues I have doubts would it be much slower. 

So, any thoughts would be helpful: will this set-up be fine and (or) can I make something for optimization without much lose in immersion.  

I think your set up is fine. You took a good approach to the DB. Top 5 leagues with 2 divisions are fine, so your wonder-kids may be bought by big clubs. On the other hand rarely a Italian or British player will come and play Denmark, hence neighboring nations will be needed with full details, so you can have access to player pool, who will genuinely come and play in your country. I also follow similar approach when setting up my game.

3 minutes ago, Arijit said:

I think your set up is fine. You took a good approach to the DB. Top 5 leagues with 2 divisions are fine, so your wonder-kids may be bought by big clubs. On the other hand rarely a Italian or British player will come and play Denmark, hence neighboring nations will be needed with full details, so you can have access to player pool, who will genuinely come and play in your country. I also follow similar approach when setting up my game.

Thanks for reply. I think loading all big nations gives more challenge in UCL over the years. That`s even more important reason for me than transfers.

One of main problems advising on things like this is often that "speed" is very subjective. What I consider fast might feel slow to you. And while the benchmark thread can give some inkling about how the pc works on your end, it's still not given. The benchmark is set with no programs running in the background and just the game left to itself. If you alt+tab to look at videos or use two monitors to multitask while playing, or just having chrome running with a few tabs in the background, all that can impact the speed of the game. So saying x setup will be fast or y setup will be slow is not an objective mark. Also, what constitutes immerson for you? Personally, I tend to load less leagues and add more players to the database, because for me as few grey players as possible makes it feel more real. That's why I tend to load in all players for all national teams and all players in continental competitions for all continents in every save I play. And just skip a league or two instead.

In my current save I'm playing in England and this is how it looks:

kRZxpCf.png

I've not had issues with speed, even if the game estimates it to 1 star. And at the same time I can go to any national team or big club around the world and see a full squad.

LA5eCyT.png

P2MViDX.png

4CnRjtY.png

xYayzhW.png

And for me, this is immersion! :) 

@XaW thank you very much, I totally agree with you about subjectiveness of speed. Probably I need to start and test how it goes with possible option of removing some of the leagues later.  About immersion I`m not far from your vision, though having leagues playable ads more transfer activity and gives more options for loaning out youth players. 

So, as I have already mentioned those playable leagues from 1st post  give me: 1. Real competitiveness and challenge in European competitions, 2. Fully active transfer market with neighbouring countries. Think I will go this way.

Edited by Vladis

28 minutes ago, Vladis said:

@XaW thank you very much, I totally agree with you about subjectiveness of speed. Probably I need to start and test how it goes with possible option of removing some of the leagues later.  About immersion I`m not far from your vision, though having leagues playable ads more transfer activity and gives more options for loaning out youth players. 

So, as I have already mentioned those playable leagues from 1st post  give me: 1. Real competitiveness and challenge in European competitions, 2. Fully active transfer market with neighbouring countries. Think I will go this way.

Also, I forgot to mention the detail level. I've gone more into detail on it in my thread about things many people does not know about FM, but that can drastically impact the processing speed. So if you feel you setup is too slow, or if you want more realism, then changing things there can help make it even better for you.

17 hours ago, XaW said:

Also, I forgot to mention the detail level. I've gone more into detail on it in my thread about things many people does not know about FM, but that can drastically impact the processing speed. So if you feel you setup is too slow, or if you want more realism, then changing things there can help make it even better for you.

@XaW Thanks for detailed comment and pointing to that thread. It's helpful.

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2023 at 03:55, XaW said:

Personally, I tend to load less leagues and add more players to the database, because for me as few grey players as possible makes it feel more real. That's why I tend to load in all players for all national teams and all players in continental competitions for all continents in every save I play. And just skip a league or two instead.

What happens when this players retire? The game generate regens to refill?

2 minutes ago, bosque said:

What happens when this players retire? The game generate regens to refill?

Yes, the game will constantly fill in newgens. And based on the initial setup, the game will try to keep it as close in general.

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yes, the game will constantly fill in newgens. And based on the initial setup, the game will try to keep it as close in general.

Okay, I think you just changed the way I set up saves forever. Thank you!