The future of FMM

Hi,

I've just come across this blog from Miles Jacobson regarding the future of the full fat PC/console Football Manager game and the big changes planned.

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/future-football-manager

Will any of this affect FMM? If not, any chance you can share plans for the future of FMM?

Thanks

• SI Staff

As mentioned in the blog, with our switch to the Unity Engine:

'The only platform that won’t benefit from the switch to Unity in time for FM25 is FM25 Mobile, but it is absolutely our intention to incorporate the new tech in Mobile at some point in the future.'

• SI Staff
On 08/08/2023 at 15:29, passenger58 said:

Thanks, Zachary. Are you able to share any similar plans for FMM? 

The FMM team is fairly compact in size and for this reason we're generally wary of sharing future plans in advance of their fruition (simply put a single person being ill or unavailable for some reason can cause more ruckus on a small team than it might on a larger team like FM PC/Mac's).

(so in effect - no, sorry we do have plans afoot for various things in FMM ... but we don't want to share them just in case they aren't met on their current planned schedule)

• SI Staff
On 19/08/2023 at 18:00, Shanamaj said:

If we’re either way heading towards a change which will require better specs in the future maybe we can already now start have more options for player db size etc?

My long-term aim isn't to give 'more options' as that makes the game more complicated - its to do away with the selection of leagues and simply have everything active always ... that is a (very) long-term aim however.

33 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

My long-term aim isn't to give 'more options' as that makes the game more complicated - its to do away with the selection of leagues and simply have everything active always ... that is a (very) long-term aim however.

Love that aim, as ultimately being able to potentially manage in any league in game on save would be the ultimate journeyman game. Meanwhile, it would be great if the game can assess a device's capability to run a custom size database with custom number of leagues like the full pc game does.

• SI Staff
19 hours ago, ElliottMS said:

Love that aim, as ultimately being able to potentially manage in any league in game on save would be the ultimate journeyman game. Meanwhile, it would be great if the game can assess a device's capability to run a custom size database with custom number of leagues like the full pc game does.

The reason we don't is simply its incredibly confusing to less hardcore/experienced users - the idea is that the game should be simple and easy to setup and play as much as possible.

(it also makes testing the game a LOT harder there are already 25x24x23x22x21 (6,375,600) permutations of leagues possible with just the nation selection which is obviously beyond our reasonable capacity to test thoroughly - adding selection for individual league levels and potentially stressing devices more by allowing larger amounts of leagues to be selected on some devices would likely cause instability for some users and isn't something I really want to risk.

(that being said I do understand why you want it and that's why when its feasible I have extended the number of active leagues in the game - originally we only had one when the game first came out)

On 23/08/2023 at 13:08, Marc Vaughan said:

The reason we don't is simply its incredibly confusing to less hardcore/experienced users - the idea is that the game should be simple and easy to setup and play as much as possible.

(it also makes testing the game a LOT harder there are already 25x24x23x22x21 (6,375,600) permutations of leagues possible with just the nation selection which is obviously beyond our reasonable capacity to test thoroughly - adding selection for individual league levels and potentially stressing devices more by allowing larger amounts of leagues to be selected on some devices would likely cause instability for some users and isn't something I really want to risk.

(that being said I do understand why you want it and that's why when its feasible I have extended the number of active leagues in the game - originally we only had one when the game first came out)

Well that isn't the answer I wanted!!! 

But of course I can understand the reasoning.

On 22/08/2023 at 18:18, Marc Vaughan said:

My wish wasn’t for more options per se, just a larger player database. If that can gradually be increased as devices get more powerful rather than waiting for the long-term aim to come into reality would be great. With a larger db I would stay interested in my saves longer and also be more motivated to start new ones as there would be more variation each time.

Em 22/08/2023 em 17:18, Marc Vaughan disse:

Love it and hate it 😅 love to all the leagues available at some point but hate it if I can't customise it like in this year's edition not being able to choose the divisions we want active in a certain league. For example a lot of times I don't need to load all English divisions. A

Always enjoyed that you can add leagues mid game in full version but I can understand that it's probably impossible on mobile. 

• SI Staff
On 25/08/2023 at 03:45, Shanamaj said:

My wish wasn’t for more options per se, just a larger player database. If that can gradually be increased as devices get more powerful rather than waiting for the long-term aim to come into reality would be great. With a larger db I would stay interested in my saves longer and also be more motivated to start new ones as there would be more variation each time.

The games database has grown hugely since its conception - the first database was around 5,000 players and the current one is 20-25,000 players or more.

It is expected that we'll continue to increase the database size and such as time goes on, in the same way we've normally done.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutos atrás, Dan Sheppard disse:

Yes, we will soon be sharing an FAQ around launching on Netflix. I'll update the announcement post in this thread once it's live.

Hello Dan. I do not own a Netflix account and neither do I plan to purchase one. If next year's iteration is available only on those terms, I will forfeit the purchase of the Mobile version for the 1st time since 2018 and look for an alternative for my soccer management fix elsewhere. Thank you

18 minutes ago, jPKroniK said:

Hello Dan. I do not own a Netflix account and neither do I plan to purchase one. If next year's iteration is available only on those terms, I will forfeit the purchase of the Mobile version for the 1st time since 2018 and look for an alternative for my soccer management fix elsewhere. Thank you

I would have thought that other sites will supply a database update for Mobile 23 and completely ignore the 24 version now.

4 hours ago, Four_Eyed_Matt said:

I would have thought that other sites will supply a database update for Mobile 23 and completely ignore the 24 version now.

Is this possible on IOS? For the first time in a decade I won’t be getting FMM24 even though I have a Netflix account, just on principle. Shambolic from SI. 💵🤑