macOS Sonoma 14.0 beta - FM23 not loading

I'm part of the beta testing community for apple and I've just upgraded my OS to Sonoma. FM23 will not load now and I get the attached error. Any advice please. Do I need to go back to previous OS? I've reported the error 

Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 13.20.44.png

You need to go back to the old version yes. Like all betas it does warn you certain apps etc will experience problems and issues. Given the new os has just come out aswell its going to have lots of bugs and issues. 

The beta is really for devs, to test and makes sure their apps or games work, not for members of the public.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

Hello, unfortunately, as the MacOS Sonoma beta (14.0) was released in June 2023, we can’t guarantee the stability of the Football Manager that runs on this OS.

Therefore, we strongly suggest you only update your device to Sonoma if you have a secondary device that can run Football Manager. 

If you have any technical issues with FM23 on MacOS Sonoma, we recommend you roll back your OS to the previous version.  

If you still have issues running Football Manager after rolling back your OS, please get in touch with our support team and we will try our best to help you.

On 12/07/2023 at 12:35, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello, unfortunately, as the MacOS Sonoma beta (14.0) was released in June 2023, we can’t guarantee the stability of the Football Manager that runs on this OS.

Therefore, we strongly suggest you only update your device to Sonoma if you have a secondary device that can run Football Manager. 

If you have any technical issues with FM23 on MacOS Sonoma, we recommend you roll back your OS to the previous version.  

If you still have issues running Football Manager after rolling back your OS, please get in touch with our support team and we will try our best to help you.

This is fine but if you can't go back - what is the outlook for the game being patched for this update? Can't play at all at the moment and hoping FM24 works on this operating system

Since the devs have no interest in fixing this, here's the error code:

2023-07-14 02:06:19.808 fm[7856:118196] *** Assertion failure in -[NSMenuBarImpl setAsMainMenuBar], NSMenuBarImpl.m:674
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Main menu was determined to be visually equivalent, but the item index is out of bounds. This is invalid.'

Outside of my realm of expertise but if anyone has any ideas let us know. 

4 hours ago, whatbdt said:

Since the devs have no interest in fixing this, here's the error code:

2023-07-14 02:06:19.808 fm[7856:118196] *** Assertion failure in -[NSMenuBarImpl setAsMainMenuBar], NSMenuBarImpl.m:674
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Main menu was determined to be visually equivalent, but the item index is out of bounds. This is invalid.'

Outside of my realm of expertise but if anyone has any ideas let us know. 

Because it is a BETA, it is unclear whether there is even an issue in FM, or it is just the BETA not working properly

As long as it is a BETA, the SI devs can’t build a proper fix when needed.

Rolling back is the only option if you want to continue and SI has offered support when that throws up errors.

What more can do they do according to you?

18 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Because it is a BETA, it is unclear whether there is even an issue in FM, or it is just the BETA not working properly

As long as it is a BETA, the SI devs can’t build a proper fix when needed.

Rolling back is the only option if you want to continue and SI has offered support when that throws up errors.

What more can do they do according to you?

It's 100% an issue with the software not being implemented correctly for the beta as is clear in the error code; I have that much knowledge of appkit but unfortunately my knowledge stops at being able to fix it (and messing about with it would probably violate SI TOS anyway). Therefore the onus is on the devs to fix it; obviously they're not obligated to do this as it's unsupported software, I totally understand that. But I doubt it would be too difficult to do (devs, if you're reading, feel free to put me in my place if I'm wrong). 

The Mac OS 14 Sonoma Public Beta is now available as of 2 days ago, meaning a very large percentage of Mac users will be upgrading or have already done so. The vast majority of these users will have no idea how to downgrade once they realise FM isn't working as Apple intentionally makes this difficult. It's in everyone's best interest to get this sorted. 

Edited by whatbdt

8 hours ago, whatbdt said:

It's 100% an issue with the software not being implemented correctly for the beta as is clear in the error code; I have that much knowledge of appkit but unfortunately my knowledge stops at being able to fix it (and messing about with it would probably violate SI TOS anyway). Therefore the onus is on the devs to fix it; obviously they're not obligated to do this as it's unsupported software, I totally understand that. But I doubt it would be too difficult to do (devs, if you're reading, feel free to put me in my place if I'm wrong). 

The Mac OS 14 Sonoma Public Beta is now available as of 2 days ago, meaning a very large percentage of Mac users will be upgrading or have already done so. The vast majority of these users will have no idea how to downgrade once they realise FM isn't working as Apple intentionally makes this difficult. It's in everyone's best interest to get this sorted. 

You seriously overestimate how many people use the Mac beta. It's a very low percentage of users and mostly made up of techies + devs, enthusiasts and tech media. SI are not going to support a beta Operating System on a game that is practically out of support for all but the most pressing issues ahead of FM24 - of which supporting a beta OS that's been out for 2 days for a tiny portion of users is not, it's a waste of dev time that could be better spent elsewhere. No doubt MacOS 14 will be supported for FM24 upon release and FM23 will probably work just fine as well (although obviously there are no 100% guarantees at this point). 

3 hours ago, damnberry said:

Is there any guarantee fm23 will work on Sonoma upon release? Every other game I have on steam works perfectly on game mode within Sonoma since day one that's all

You got a warning that some apps and features will not work (or work properly) in Sonoma Beta. What are you asking here? :larry:

Edited by fc.cadoni

4 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

You got a warning that some apps and features will not work (or work properly) in Sonoma Beta. What are you asking here? :larry:

is there any commitment from the team they will ever make fm23 run on Sonoma bearing in mind in a month or so time 80% of people with a Mac will auto upgrade to Sonoma? I got a warning but everything else I use on a daily basis runs fine other than FM23 (and that's a whole bunch of apps from many teams.

53 minutes ago, damnberry said:

is there any commitment from the team they will ever make fm23 run on Sonoma bearing in mind in a month or so time 80% of people with a Mac will auto upgrade to Sonoma? I got a warning but everything else I use on a daily basis runs fine other than FM23 (and that's a whole bunch of apps from many teams.

What Apple says about this?

2 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

What Apple says about this?

Can you explain your point, I don't get it. What Apple have to say about it? 

3 hours ago, damnberry said:

I got a warning but everything else I use on a daily basis runs fine other than FM23 (and that's a whole bunch of apps from many teams.

I work on my MacBook daily, use tons of apps everyday and all works fine. I have 5 games installed on my Macbook an all works normal except FM23. In the first 2 betas I had problems with 2 or 3 apps but the beta 3 update get everything normal again (except FM23).
The question of the guy above seems very simple and clear to me. In September when the FINAL release of Sonoma comes out, can we play FM23 on our Macs?

I mean the answer is rather straight forward in one sense, you can't answer whether a final product that is not yet available will be compatible until you get to access the final product. 

Whatever is specifically triggering the issue may well be resolved by the final release of iOS at the time. There may well be a different issue come the final release. Whatever the situation is, SI will have to assess it at the time and make a judgement. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2023 at 15:26, Backshift8118 said:

The question of the guy above seems very simple and clear to me. In September when the FINAL release of Sonoma comes out, can we play FM23 on our Macs?

Well, FM22 was released when Monterrey was the latest macOS, then it is also working under Ventura. So I guess the issue is basically something within the Beta version of macOS. I'd definitely say, if people stick to the release version of macOS, then they will be absolutely fine. Heck, I still play FM2017 under Ventura and the game never got updated.

So stick to the release version of any operating system, you will be fine.

Edited by Arijit

As I replied in the other comment, I still play FM17 under Ventura, and it mostly works fine. I have FM22 from Amazon Prime, and it still works under Ventura. So, it is safe to assume, all the current or recent FM games will still work under Sonoma.   

On 16/07/2023 at 15:26, Backshift8118 said:

Can you explain your point, I don't get it. What Apple have to say about it? 

Windows has better backward compatibility than macOS. Last time I used Windows in 2017, I could run a 32-bit version of FM under Windows 7/10. When I moved to Linux, FM has a supported version for few years. Now I am in Apple ecosystem, I see Macs don't support 32 bit anymore (LMAO!), and all my old FM games rendered unusable under macOS. I thought I could get away not using Windows anymore, but it seems Apple still has to catch up a lot in terms of gaming. Apple definitely takes the blame to force us to throw away 32 bit apps.

6 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

We're being told by some users that developer beta 4 has been working for them. Can those in this thread also confirm please?

Taking the upgrade now, otherwise see you in November for FM24.

7 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

We're being told by some users that developer beta 4 has been working for them. Can those in this thread also confirm please?

Yeah, it already works. I had to uninstall and reinstall, after that it works.