IWB attacking pattern help

IWB‘s do overlap occasionally if other players do occupy the space inside like wide players who cut inside would do.

However, if you look for overlaps as a consistent part of your game, then better use a WB or CWB. The IWB Role will always look for an underlap whenever possible. 

5 hours ago, CARRERA said:

IWB‘s do overlap occasionally if other players do occupy the space inside like wide players who cut inside would do.

However, if you look for overlaps as a consistent part of your game, then better use a WB or CWB. The IWB Role will always look for an underlap whenever possible. 

Interesting. I just want an unpredictable attacking movement from my IWB. Want him sometimes to underlap and overlap without increasing his mentality with the “overlap” instruction. Thanks…

10 hours ago, awesomeveekthor said:

How can i make my IWB to overlap without the overlap instruction. What roles and duties around him or PI will make him make overlapping runs.

This is in a 4231/433 system

I played this system for the whole first season at Arsenal:

image.png.19079d6cdb532951661fb5e37538c59d.png

Normally, I try to vary the roles a bit, but this system worked incredibly well, and we almost won the league (until a freak losing streak right at the end of the season saw us finish third, which I still considered a great result).

The only player instructions added were for the IF(s), both right and left, who I asked to stay wider. The would still cut inside when we were close to the box, but held the width better in the build up, giving the Mez(s) more room to move.

I think 'Be more expressive' was probably an important instuction, as it encourages roaming, as far as I'm aware.

This meant that on each flank, at any given time, the IWB(s), the Mez(s) and the IF(s) could either be positioned in the middle, or could hold/drift out wide, depending what the other players were doing. If the IF was wide, the Mez and IWB would typically be a bit closer to the middle. When the IF came inside, either the Mez would drift wide, or the Mez would stay closer to the middle and the IWB would go out wide.

If you want your full back to overlap all the time, then definitely use a FB, WB or CWB. But if you only want it to happen sometimes, then I found that using roles on the same side of the pitch with horizontal movement (central drifting wide, or wide cutting inside) worked really well.

Hope that helps.

10 hours ago, awesomeveekthor said:

Interesting. I just want an unpredictable attacking movement from my IWB. Want him sometimes to underlap and overlap without increasing his mentality with the “overlap” instruction. Thanks…

That's a cwb on support I think?

your tactical ideas are nearly identical to mine haahahah. added a beautiful 2-3-5 passmap too 

On 10/03/2023 at 09:07, ryandormer said:

I played this system for the whole first season at Arsenal:

image.png.19079d6cdb532951661fb5e37538c59d.png

Normally, I try to vary the roles a bit, but this system worked incredibly well, and we almost won the league (until a freak losing streak right at the end of the season saw us finish third, which I still considered a great result).

The only player instructions added were for the IF(s), both right and left, who I asked to stay wider. The would still cut inside when we were close to the box, but held the width better in the build up, giving the Mez(s) more room to move.

I think 'Be more expressive' was probably an important instuction, as it encourages roaming, as far as I'm aware.

This meant that on each flank, at any given time, the IWB(s), the Mez(s) and the IF(s) could either be positioned in the middle, or could hold/drift out wide, depending what the other players were doing. If the IF was wide, the Mez and IWB would typically be a bit closer to the middle. When the IF came inside, either the Mez would drift wide, or the Mez would stay closer to the middle and the IWB would go out wide.

If you want your full back to overlap all the time, then definitely use a FB, WB or CWB. But if you only want it to happen sometimes, then I found that using roles on the same side of the pitch with horizontal movement (central drifting wide, or wide cutting inside) worked really well.

Hope that helps.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 02.55.36.png

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 02.55.57.png

13 hours ago, jalalanware said:

your tactical ideas are nearly identical to mine haahahah. added a beautiful 2-3-5 passmap too 

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 02.55.36.png

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 02.55.57.png

That pass map is very nice! I’m amazed at how deep your CF is despite being on an Attack duty? 

I find it difficult to find the right balance between getting a striker to drop deep and be involved in play whilst still being a goal threat. In my experience a DLF(A) has been the best, not tried the CF(A) though! 

4 hours ago, Fantasista10 said:

That pass map is very nice! I’m amazed at how deep your CF is despite being on an Attack duty? 

I find it difficult to find the right balance between getting a striker to drop deep and be involved in play whilst still being a goal threat. In my experience a DLF(A) has been the best, not tried the CF(A) though! 

Yeah agreed, feels like no matter the role you use your striker either drops too deep or doesnt drop at all. Not tried the DLF(A) but I've always had a thing for a complete forward to be honest. I've found it hard to get my striker involved significantly in play in general, I know they're gonna have lower numbers for passing but it seems way too low in my opinion. CF(A) works well because he always works hard getting back into the box to finish attacking moves in my experience.