[FM23.4] Copa Catalunya, Catalan nationality, Spain expanded

Spain's default rules plus the Copa Catalunya for Catalan teams, activated U19 division 2, and preseason cups like Barcelona's Joan Gamper Trophy.

Also adds a Catalan second nationality (like the Basque one in the game). The UE Olot version hard-codes their Catalan transfer policy (thanks for letting me know about this @CannonballAndre).

DOWNLOAD | UE Olot ver. 2 (backup) | LOGOS
TMC Megapack
discussion en español

Screenshots:

Spoiler

gampernew.thumb.png.26d5e24e45dc2c1f221bafc1afa658be.pngcopacatal.thumb.png.0a16dfda68f7ba139b9155f6a961c7b8.pngbusquets.thumb.png.80e6cf19d3ef89a8cfe4534ad532bd48.pngu19olot.thumb.png.1f49e06bb98b46b18e3b6c7221263d57.png

catanew2.png.bea0973caa5f757bcbdc176b90f2472a.png

Feedback is welcomed

Edited by themodelcitizen

I've repurposed the "ghost" nation Czechoslovakia to create the inactive Catalan second nationality (like Basque).

I don't think we can show it as an option to "load all players" at game start - Pays Basque is hard-coded that way - but you can load all players from Spain.

• themodelcitizen changed the title to [FM23] Copa Catalunya + Catalan second nationality (release)

Link updated, next up will be using Bermuda Hogges to make an Athletic-style club that can only sign Catalan players (rebuilding Barça maybe?)

Open to feedback on whether I should expand the second nationality to all of the Balearic and Andorran players/clubs.

5 hours ago, CannonballAndre said:

UE Olot only signs catalan players in real life: https://topsoccerblog.com/football-clubs-no-foreign-players-policy/

Wow, can't check til I'm home later, but is that already reflected in game? If not I'm going to make them extinct and build a new phoenix club out of the old Bermuda Hogges to enforce that transfer rule. That could be a really fun save.

Anyone know if they would extend that to Andorrans, Balearic players, Valencians, and Sardinians from Alghero? I see they have an African lad on load from Barça B, he may have lived there long enough to qualify as Catalan though 

1 minute ago, themodelcitizen said:

Wow, can't check til I'm home later, but is that already reflected in game? If not I'm going to make them extinct and build a new phoenix club out of the old Bermuda Hogges to enforce that transfer rule. That could be a really fun save.

Anyone know if they would extend that to Andorrans, Balearic players, Valencians, and Sardinians from Alghero? I see they have an African lad on load from Barça B, he may have lived there long enough to qualify as Catalan though 

They are at level 5, so I think they haven't done this.

59 minutos atrás, themodelcitizen disse:

As far as I remember reading about it - they do allow for Valencian, Andorran, Balearic and French Catalonia players to join as long as they speak Catalan.

On 09/02/2023 at 10:18, CannonballAndre said:

As far as I remember reading about it - they do allow for Valencian, Andorran, Balearic and French Catalonia players to join as long as they speak Catalan.

Just realized we might only be able to do it with Spanish-Catalans, that seemed to be how Bermuda Hogges was working with nation/based nation both needing to be satisfied in past games. I'll test it a few different ways

On 09/02/2023 at 09:21, Wolf_pd said:

They are at level 5, so I think they haven't done this.

I think they were promoted to tier 4 this season so they're actually playable now. Perfect for us...

EDIT - Here we go:

Spoiler

Olot1.thumb.png.275fa798f7e3c5d76cc08c7321ee801f.pngOLOT2.thumb.png.e97fe84fe02d30bea4840fec5ea7dd1b.pngolot3.thumb.png.7f51653327b35b0880d5dffbedcf88d3.pngolot4.thumb.png.0371ab9d82385bcfa937dca26a2e5384.png

Looks like you'll be limited to Spanish/Catalan dual nationals, not ideal but they don't actually have any French or Andorran Catalans now anyway.

They do have Valencian and Balearic players so I've added the relevant cities (and the Catalan towns in Murcia) to the second nationality.

I would load everyone from Spain and Andorra, and maybe even Italy and France. You can search for players with "nationality" "partially" Catalan and it shows you transfer targets.

If you're using kits or other graphics for UE Olot, you can change the filename and the "config" files in notepad from the old unique ID (67128589) in to the new ID (72004402).

• themodelcitizen changed the title to [FM23] Copa Catalunya + Catalan nationality (like Basque rule)

Updated with the alternate version.

I've only changed "based nation" to Catalunya for UE Olot, not Barcelona or anything as I'm still not entirely sure what this does for newgens - i.e. will Catalunya's youth rating be relevant instead of Spain for them?

Having the Catalan cities in "Spain" but a Catalunya-based local region is enough for Barcelona, Mallorca etc to produce dual nationals and shouldn't affect anything else

Cheers!! Will add those in.

Yeah, newgens from Andorra and French Catalonia won't (necessarily) have Spanish nationality so I haven't touched their local regions in the UE Olot version.

In that version, "Catalan" is to UE Olot as "Basque" is to Athletic Bilbao - no point having it visible if you can't actually sign them.

For the meantime, you should be able to sign existing players from the Catalan Countries like Dario Del Fabro (not sure he speaks the dialect but he's from Alghero). So, I added both Spanish and Catalan to those players, to players from from French Catalonia, and to some (mostly already declared) Andorrans (but not all - not sure we want the knock-on effects of adding a second nationality to an entire nation).

Started a career thread as I run through a long term test with UE Olot. Anyone else can feel free to contribute if they get a save going, or we can start a challenge thread. I expect we'll be heavily reliant on Barça's academy (and other Catalan clubs) so will be keeping a close eye on their castoffs every summer

Oh ffs, for real? Which version are you using? Is the Russian league loaded or anything? I might have to switch everything to a different extinct nation. Crimea must have some weirdness like that hard-coded. I think we can get a different nation to act the same way (unclickable) if it has no continent set. Let me work on that today, a clean rebuild from scratch might be the way to do it

EDIT: @CannonballAndre I'm looking at a save in 2023 and Barca's newgens are all Spanish, UE Olot only got one and he's Spanish (all w/ Catalan second nationality). Same deal at Espanyol. Here's Mallorca including a random Welshman (none of them have Russian third nationality):

Spoiler

rcdm.thumb.png.64edd00194b9305665bcccff2d4a1aff.png

Maybe you've got more Russian players loaded than I do and it's drawing from that pool. Or this is unlikely but any chance you've got any other file running where they've touched Russians or Crimeans at all? Just brainstorming, I'm prepared to make whatever fix is needed, just trying to narrow it down.

If you're using a version from a week or so ago, is Barca's "based nation" Catalunya or Spain? I changed it back to Spain at one point when I realized I wasn't sure what would happen to newgens.

Ahh OK, like to fill out the U19s? I never use "add players to playable teams" for default leagues but I can see the appeal, I should have ran a test that way.

It doesn't seem to affect the youth intake every year. But I can see how this is gamebreaking for people who want the U19s filled out with fake players straight away, it must be from the club's "based nation" being Catalunya (the game must be set up for Crimean clubs to get Russian newgens that way). I should be able to rebuild it with United Arab Republic instead, give me a couple days.

EDIT: Weird, using U.A.R. means the added players are ONLY Spanish, but they have Catalan as a nationality they can get via residency. This is also not ideal. While I think of a solution, try not to use that "add players to playable teams".

I'm not sure if Olot have an academy in real life but I can add whatever players we find (at least one). Might also add all the Spanish preseason cups like the Gamper trophy in Barcelona, and this one for Banyoles, Olot and a couple others.

Added a bunch of the preseason friendly cups. We might be stuck with being unable to "add players to playable teams". But either way once I figure that out, I'll do a rebuild so there can be a "lite" version with all the cups but without the extra changes to UE Olot.

• themodelcitizen changed the title to [FM23] Copa Catalunya, Catalan nationality, Spanish preseason cups

Haha, I noticed that a few times in my testing. Sometimes they get 1. It seems to be uniform across teams in their division though? Do you see that in the transfer history for other teams nearby you? I figured it was intentional and supposed to reflect the small academies there, and how much those teams likely end up relying on youth castoffs from bigger clubs.

Maybe I'll test with and without the changes to see. If they're supposed to get more, maybe I need to adjust Catalunya's youth rating, just not sure if it should copy Spain because with less overall clubs that might be skewed

OK yeah they should be getting a bigger intake, I must have seen incoming transfers and thought they were a small intake. Going to play with Catalunya's youth settings and see what happens. Worst case scenario we'll abandon the phoenix club thing and just do it as a self-imposed challenged with Olot (last resort).

EDIT: Doesn't look like we can produce newgens this way with the old Crimea as "based nation." Might be possible with another extinct nation, but it might throw up other issues. If anyone has ideas let me know.

Will take a break and think some more before rebuilding everything, still with Crimea but no Bermuda Hogges trickery

That's with Olot's "based nation" set to Czechoslovakia? How do the newgens look, about the same quality (i.e. crap) as teams around them? Obvs you haven't touched Czech's youth rating or anything?

I take it you can't click on Czech and they don't show up as a "days in nation" type thing under "eligibility" for anyone on Olot?

Sorry for grilling you, I really appreciate the help testing. Crimea might have too much hard-coding to use here

The holidaying is still ongoing. I literally changed the based nation of olot and then the nation of the local regions to Czechoslovakia. No other changes. The youth preview was filled with As and Bs, but that might be down to Olot having decent facilities for this level.

Update: no days in nation like you asked.

Youth intake came through: 2 elite prospects, but with 2 stars current potential, a bunch of 4 star potential players, but nothing broken.

Checked Barcelona's intake. Most had Czechoslovak second nationality. looks like the issue is Crimea as Czechoslovakia worked as expected.

Edited by Reiver

Cheers, I'm playing with it now. The changes are so voluminous and minute (like parceling out Spanish/Catalan villages in Murcia and Valencia) that I think starting from scratch is the way to go, I'll copy and paste some of the cup rules.

Paging @rusty217, wasn't there something about a team's transfer rules defaulting to their "based nation"? I don't see any issues with squad registration or contracts from using an extinct "based nation" in the Spain leagues

While I'm at it. The U19 second tier could definitely be activated to give Olot U19s some competitive games. I'll see if anyone's made a stable one, or if it's an easy job

6 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Cheers, I'm playing with it now. The changes are so voluminous and minute (like parceling out Spanish/Catalan villages in Murcia and Valencia) that I think starting from scratch is the way to go, I'll copy and paste some of the cup rules.

Paging @rusty217, wasn't there something about a team's transfer rules defaulting to their "based nation"? I don't see any issues with squad registration or contracts from using an extinct "based nation" in the Spain leagues

While I'm at it. The U19 second tier could definitely be activated to give Olot U19s some competitive games. I'll see if anyone's made a stable one, or if it's an easy job

I'm not 100% sure but I think a team's based nation would be used for foreign player rules, yes. Although I believe Spain only uses non-EU rules, so it wouldn't be an issue anyway. Even if Catalan isn't counted as EU, it sounds like most, if not all, of the Catalan players are Spanish, Andorran or French dual nationals, so would be EU anyway.

I believe there was an issue in older versions of FM that has now been fixed where players would count as home grown for the club's based nation, rather than nation/continental cup nation. That caused some issues with the Welsh teams playing in England. But like I said, I think that's been fixed now. I've also not actually played as any of the Welsh clubs in England so haven't seen the issue (before or after potential fix) myself.

Yeah, I think the issue with Celtic and Rangers in England is that it was asking for English ("nation", not "based nation") homegrowns in the CL. So "Spanish" homegrowns will be fine.

Took ages but I got the inactive U19 division two going with 200+ teams, so that UE Olot's U19s can try and get promotion on the pitch. It's not 100% realistic as I can't find much info in English (and I'm not sure SI have the right team list anyway) but it's modelled after the U19 division one, just bigger. Testing now and then I'll upload it before I add Catalunya to make a fresh version of that file.

Spoiler

u19olot.thumb.png.ad90ae6eefb26052dcd2d3d8856b61ff.png

New version posted with everything except the U.E. Olot hard-coding.

Includes the preseason cups, Copa Catalunya, and Catalan second nationality - you'll need to download the graphics again because we're repurposing Czechoslovakia instead of Crimea now, that should fix the noted issues.

The Olot file will take a bit more time to get everything right, watch this space

• themodelcitizen changed the title to [FM23] Copa Catalunya, Catalan nationality, Spain expanded

OP updated with the new version of the U.E. Olot hard-coding, grab the logos again as well.

Working a treat so far, especially with the U19 division. Here's the youth intake towards the end of season 1:

Spoiler

olotyouth1.thumb.png.319ebc18a4bfbd8161667cef579e4392.pngolotyouth2.thumb.png.1f5c32106bff1515af83642463f476bc.png

There are a couple of non-Catalan Spaniards in the youth intake who are set to gain Catalan nationality in a couple of years, this is fine as it works with their Catalan-trained transfer policy:

Spoiler

olotyouth3.thumb.png.f250655ce3a2e4bacc158479acaa9417.png

Let me know if you see anything that looks off. Thanks for the help so far @Reiver and @CannonballAndre.

En 31/1/2023 a las 6:53, themodelcitizen dijo:

catanew1.png.5262cc7db3117e7e06f1e435c3874e5c.png

Spain's default rules plus the Copa Catalunya for Catalan teams, activated U19 division 2, and preseason cups like Barcelona's Joan Gamper Trophy.

Also adds a Catalan second nationality (like the Basque one in the game). The UE Olot version hard-codes their Catalan transfer policy (thanks for letting me know about this @CannonballAndre).

DOWNLOAD | UE Olot ver. 2 | LOGOS

Screenshots:

Revelar contenido oculto

gampernew.thumb.png.26d5e24e45dc2c1f221bafc1afa658be.pngcopacatal.thumb.png.0a16dfda68f7ba139b9155f6a961c7b8.pngbusquets.thumb.png.80e6cf19d3ef89a8cfe4534ad532bd48.pngu19olot.thumb.png.1f49e06bb98b46b18e3b6c7221263d57.png

catanew2.png.bea0973caa5f757bcbdc176b90f2472a.png

Feedback is welcomed

OMG this is absolutely amazing. 👏❤️🙌🙌🙌

I am from Barcelona, I have a second residence in the province of Girona, 20 minutes from Olot, finding this is a delight. Thanks for the job. 😘
By the way, could the Czechoslovakian nation be made to compete under the name of Catalonia like the other teams do? something similar to a San Marino that is in Italy but they compete with their nation. All San Mariense players have dual Italian and San Mariense nationality. The same could be done with Catalonia (you can change the name of the nation Czechoslovakia to Catalonia) and see them compete internationally like Gibraltar, Malta and these countries do. 🙏

My most sincere congratulations, I want to try this 😜🫶

Thanks for checking in!!

If you change their continent to "Europe" they'll play in the Euro U21s, but adding them to the other tournaments like World Cup qualifying, UEFA Nations League, etc, is a lot more difficult. You'd have to put Kazakhstan into Asia or something to make room. There are guides on here...

Sounds like you want them to operate like "nations" like Martinique that can call up players as long as they aren't cap-tied to France yet (i.e., that Catalunya could call up locals uncapped by Spain). My Island Games file does similar with a bunch of new nations. But I'm hesitant to release a version where Catalunya in Europe, because I wanted it to operate exactly like the "Basque" nationality already in the game. What do you think? I can add kits for Catalunya either way.

Also, San Marino is surrounded by Italy but is not Italian, and they don't have dual nationality... San Marino doesn't even allow dual nationality! :)

You can do it with any region, the main steps are to change the "local region(s)" to your new country (I'd recommend Ireland pre-1922 or C.I.S. as they don't have a default language or huge namelist attached). From there:

• add your second nationality to all existing players (you can search by local region of birth)
  • change your old club's name slightly to avoid confusion, something like "Sevilla (1890)" if you're using Sevilla, then take Bermuda Hogges and copy over all of the information from your old club (I'd suggest manually copying it over, copy and paste works but seems to throw up issues)
  • change the new club's "based nation" to your new nation (e.g. Andalusia), otherwise everything should look the same as the old club
  • take the staff and players from Sevilla and change their contract and "days trained at club" to the new club (which you've renamed from Bermuda Hogges). You'll need to select their staff role from the dropdown box (even if it already says something like "physio", the game will just assign them as a coach if you've mass edited the staff. Same with players all getting full-time contracts unless you manually select "youth" or "part-time" where it already says that)
  • take the old club (Sevilla in this example)'s competitions, reserve team info, etc and give it to the new club. Remove the competitions from the old club
  • once you've changed over all of the staff, affiliations, etc, make the old club Sevilla extinct with their "new club" set as the renamed club. This should take care of any history issues

Optional steps:

• for extra detail you can also change current staff and players' non-playing history, playing history, and favoured clubs (if applicable)
  • if it's a smaller team, you can search people by their non-playing history (this takes ages) and try to change all of that to the new team, same with any competition history (visible in-game). For clubs with lots of documented history, though, this isn't practical
  • take your graphics and change the "config" file in Notepad as described above so that the game assigns Sevilla's logo to the unique ID for Bermuda Hogges
  • use Notepad to edit any Real Name fix-type file you might have to remove any lines referencing Bermuda Hogges in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2023\data\database\db\2300\lnc\all (or whichever version you're using, that link would be 23.3)

It only works for dual nationals of the club's "nation" and "based nation" sadly (or single national if they're the same, like an all-English transfer policy). No way to truly replicate the Athletic Bilbao policy where you can be Basque but not Spanish.

Which is odd, because Bermudan players at Hogges wouldn't have had US second nationality (although I remember in FM13 the rule worked in the PDL for just Bermudans, or Scots, or Welsh etc without needing US second nationality)

Mine looks fine, this is with only TMC UE Olot loaded:

Spoiler

ueolot.thumb.png.35c585c9664d2d4da5832abae6c41123.png

Are you loading the new 23.3 database? Try checking "remove all" up top before selecting databases again. Maybe it's trying to load multiple Spanish DBs or something. I'll save it to Steam again just to be sure

Here's a mirror as well, try this if it still doesn't work

I changed it to "friendly tournament" a while ago, so it just doesn't show up in the national screen like you're looking for (12 subs supports that it should be considered a glorified friendly tournament). This also means the competition adds histories but I don't think you get a cup added to your history (not that fair IMO). It's an easy change in the editor if you want to make it a "cup" again.

Thanks for letting me know about the Steam link, maybe I need to change the name since the update