Viktor Maslov's tactical principles - predecessor to Tiki Taka - Continued in the TeamWorkRate philosophy (twr)

2 hours ago, JoOSTAR said:

Really looking forward to what's next!

Thanks, hopefully you will not get too disappointed with it.

I will add content as well as edit the language/sentences, correct spelling errors as soon as time is available. Last part is aimed to be a summary showing the overview and relationships between the content in a clear manner. It is a lot to read so those not keen on doing this can jump right to last section of the post.

2 hours ago, The3points said:

Brilliant! Maslov is perhaps on of the more unheard of great managers.

But his attacking midfielder in the system, Valeriy Lobanovskyi used such principles and ended up winning Cup Winners Cup with Dynamo Kiev

I got really fascinated by him. It is interesting to read and get to know more about the history of football tactics, to get familiar with the ideas of other managers than the ones most reputed.

Lobanovskyi succeeded him and was very succesful, based on many of the same principles as Maslov. One of Lobanovskyi's aims of beeing unpredictable for the opponent, applies to this thread as well, just hasn't fully gotten there yet. The idea is to make small alterations within the same tactical system, to pose different challenges for the opposition, based on how they play and their strengths and weaknesses. The excisting difference between the variations of the tactics is that the controlling one focus on utilizing the wider areas, whilst the dominant one utilizes the central area. Which to use against the opponent can be decided upon by information given in the data hub. Look out for statements/reporting of weaknesses in hindering penetration from either area, as well as considering their formation (amount of players positioned in the different areas). 

Edited by cmonreds

5 hours ago, levo in da house said:

great topic
 There is something I want to ask, your training is very light and the players may not improve in this regard. Do you use individual training?
I gave tactical roles in this regard and doubled the density.

Yes, individual training is used, that is one of the main reasons why sessions from the match preparation category are used, With these player attributes will increase according to their individual training.

i do the same as you do, individual training is trained as their roles in their tactic. When developing additional training focus is added as well, youngsters are often trained in several positions to develop different attributes. In example future central defenders can also be trained as half backs and even central midfielders to increase technical/passing skills if they do not increase sufficiently by doing this with additional individual training.

Their intensity is doubled when fully fit as well.

On 16/10/2022 at 23:50, cmonreds said:

attributes are restricted to improving for the attributes trained for the role and what can be acchieved with additional training focus. This is mostly sufficient for developing players but can have its limitations when in example utilizing central defenders

Move them into the attacking unit and it will train a different set of attributes whilst building and maintaining role familiarity.

5 hours ago, toshimitzou1 said:

Move them into the attacking unit and it will train a different set of attributes whilst building and maintaining role familiarity.

I didn't even know that was possible, thank your very much for the advice. 

• cmonreds changed the title to Viktor Maslov's tactical principles - predecessor to Tiki Taka - Continued in the TeamWorkRate philosophy (twr)

Playing FM23 now,

Using the same tactical set-up, instructions for Defensive Line and Cross Engagement are unticked. My understanding is that this will lead to players choosing their action according to the situation. If clear patterns arrive in a game the options for these two TI can/wll be utilized.

First time in my FM history above 80% possession is acchieved in a league game (probably all games, friendlies included).

image.png.9494e0d08489a3be169e2bd3d6fec141.png

Only three league games into the season but acchieving high possession numbers is possible.

image.png.6a69f2df363e6be227817f3e96dedd84.png

10 hours ago, cmonreds said:

Playing FM23 now,

Using the same tactical set-up, instructions for Defensive Line and Cross Engagement are unticked. My understanding is that this will lead to players choosing their action according to the situation. If clear patterns arrive in a game the options for these two TI can/wll be utilized.

First time in my FM history above 80% possession is acchieved in a league game (probably all games, friendlies included).

image.png.9494e0d08489a3be169e2bd3d6fec141.png

Only three league games into the season but acchieving high possession numbers is possible.

image.png.6a69f2df363e6be227817f3e96dedd84.png

Can u Please 🙏 put a link for the tactic,Thanks.

5 hours ago, axehan1 said:

He has put it on a plate for you at the top of the page, try having a read.

I know,but i am finding a little difficult with the instructions of the position.Sorry.

This is a very cool read @cmonreds

I'm trying this tactic in my save and the results have been interesting, but it's been very fun to watch they plays develop in the new ME.

I also had one match with 79% possession, thought I was going to crack 80 but the last three minutes of the game said "Nope!"

On 22/10/2022 at 19:33, Ok said:

I know,but i am finding a little difficult with the instructions of the position.Sorry.

I will post the FM23 versions soon 👍🏻

Will post a third tactic focusing on utilizing all spcaces and chance creation as well.

Some new stuff on OI as well using the assumptions on OI in the thread to cover/cut off the passing lanes from wide to central areas. As well on how to limit wide players options. Seems to work well.

Edited by cmonreds

2 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

This is a very cool read @cmonreds

I'm trying this tactic in my save and the results have been interesting, but it's been very fun to watch they plays develop in the new ME.

I also had one match with 79% possession, thought I was going to crack 80 but the last three minutes of the game said "Nope!"

Thanks,

What is your approach to DL? I am leaning towards push up. 

I am playing a high press, high defensive line at the moment.  Considering the quality of team I have it's doing pretty well.  The season has gone about as well as expected, my first team keeper left in the summer transfer window and his replacement will be very good eventually (I think).We are giving up a lot of late goals, the only real blowout so far was at Brest, Monaco scored in the 84th and 95th minute, Ajaccio in the 70th, and so on.

I am wondering if two CM's might be better as one CM and maybe a Mezzala or Carrilero?

image.png.353a7aca44fbb15c855de0122dc88b01.png 754662739_TeamDefending.PNG.4cd469f485cef2095e3ba91230653c33.PNG637396590_TeamAtacking.PNG.2059c52e5e6a19302b4883957e86aa26.PNGimage.thumb.png.ac7dd5446d6db2bdde59a22f39708bde.png

Edited by Jellico73
editing

On 25/10/2022 at 01:37, Jellico73 said:

I am playing a high press, high defensive line at the moment.  Considering the quality of team I have it's doing pretty well.  The season has gone about as well as expected, my first team keeper left in the summer transfer window and his replacement will be very good eventually (I think).We are giving up a lot of late goals, the only real blowout so far was at Brest, Monaco scored in the 84th and 95th minute, Ajaccio in the 70th, and so on.

I am wondering if two CM's might be better as one CM and maybe a Mezzala or Carrilero?

Congrats with promotion from Ligue 2 the first season. 

Your defence seems to leak a little, which is a risk when playing high press and high DL and leaving space behind own DL. That is one of the reasons of why the tactics I presented has conservative risk approach of ball distribution (passing, shooting, crossing, dribbling). This is a way of reducing this risk, by giving the opportunities less opportunities to counter attack into this space.

Also OI are very important, this increases the efficiency of your teams pressing. The following pressing scheme is used in FM23:

image.thumb.png.f16188f964afb2921959ac3038b5211a.png

The thinking behind it is that to reduce the passing options for opposition wider players, by marking their central players from the side closest to the wide players. This is to cut of passing lanes, intercept passes to central players, giving them fewer options which should/can lead to increased success in regaining possession in the wide pressing trap as well as misplaced passes from the wide players.

Showing wide players onto the foot closest to the wide line / edge of pitch also reduces their passing options with 180 degrees, effectively closing off half of the circle.

Central players being the only players in their strata as DMC/MC/AMC/SC are by default shown onto weaker foot. This can be changed to none (cutting passes lane in front) for teams with focus on playing the ball in vertical directiion (Vertical tiki taka - route one etc.). Or when identified a wide player posing a special threat the sole central players in their strata can be shown onto the foot opposite of this side, to prevent passes from wide and giving the wide player posing a threat fewer options.

No pressing on central defenders / goalkeepers  are adjusted to my tactical system. Pressing can be utilized if TI to prevent GK from playing passes to the defenders is used. High press + this TI is the equivalent of extremely high pressing.

Edited by cmonreds

To be honest I am not sure why I never thought of this before, but do the opposition instruction pregame over ride the tactics instructions?  After how many years of playing this game you think I'd know the answer, but at the end of the day the glasses just make me look smart...

2/3rd of the way thru the season and we're still getting beat late.  Lot of draws though, but I think a lot of that has to do with the quality of players we have.  They are good, but not top Ligue 1 good for now.  Transfer windows have been good, picked up Hlozek to play the left wing and a couple of other very solid players as well, but for a test save this has been fun so far, and I am liking the tactic, and the discussions.

51 minutes ago, Jellico73 said:

To be honest I am not sure why I never thought of this before, but do the opposition instruction pregame over ride the tactics instructions?  After how many years of playing this game you think I'd know the answer, but at the end of the day the glasses just make me look smart...

2/3rd of the way thru the season and we're still getting beat late.  Lot of draws though, but I think a lot of that has to do with the quality of players we have.  They are good, but not top Ligue 1 good for now.  Transfer windows have been good, picked up Hlozek to play the left wing and a couple of other very solid players as well, but for a test save this has been fun so far, and I am liking the tactic, and the discussions.

I set OI after team-talk before starting the match. I believe you have to activate them by turning on the position OI for each match. The use of OI is important.

I believe OI override TI and PI whenever an action has to be taken towards the player they apply to.

• 2 weeks later...

oh wow this is one amazing read.

Quick question is that really how the OI (trigger press/tight marking/etc) work?? Did you test it extensively(I'm sure you did, stupid question)?

Another question it looks like you maintain high possession because you're playing compact and encouraging players to be more diciplined, take fewer risks and shorter passing. Is this the template pretty much? What about team with high creative players (i.e. Bruno Guimaraes, De Bruyne) will they have problems using this tactic?

thanks a bunch!

I have played the game untill July 2026. Results are decent, some throphies acchieved but not the big ones the league and CL (Barcelona becoming nemesis 2/3 seasons in competition - they won/finalist in these). The state of the club are a hefty transfer budget not being used since focus is on youth development and great prospects are in abundance. In the award for the 50 most promising youth players (NXGN) one year Rennes players occupied 2nd (Desire Doue), 4th (regen) and 8th (regen) place. We are by far the best team in the league in regards to possession and averaging 66 %, amongst top three in CL with average possession above 60 %.

image.png.cd120f76a882e79a64be9459104f6fa7.png

During these season changes has gradually been made to the tactics:

Roles

- SK (def) changed to SK (att)

- against teams playing with just one striker HB changed to DM (def)

PI

- WB's / IW's crossing mixed

- All players except CB's passing risk mixed

- CM's get further forward

TI

- Transitions GK set to distribute quickly

OI

Used as in the last screenshot presented in this thread

image.png.66bb6e2fc812ddc535e5a734795de5ff.png

Training stays the same.

Pros 

- current tactical system are playing very well and how I like to see football

- producing decent results

image.png.21160c97d9b7efb54926039d6279d38b.png

Cons

- Results against the very top teams (this could be due to their higher ability of players)

- No alternative tactic against better teams

- Minimal use of tweaks of tactic against opposition strengths (changing step up to mixed/drop off against teams threatening space behind defenders)

FM23 version of tactic below (change DM to HB with same PI as described).

Relationship between pressing and behaviour of the DL (Push up more / Mixed / Back off more)

As the LoE has a maximum level at the oppositions 16 metres line, characterized as a high press, extremely high press above this line can be achieved with OI instructions to press central defender / their defense line, as well as even higher press when their goalkeeper is included.

If pressing is conducted at only the high level of press (16 metres line) as in this tactic, defensive line and step up more should be considered to be reduced against oppenents with strong ability to play it behind our defensive line, from the "unpressed area". The same applies to playing against teams stronger in ability than your own team. Mixed (none ticked) could be a viable alternative for these instances. In comparison Barcelona under Guardiola dropped off whenever they could not apply sufficient pressure on the player with the ball.

Press at the extremely high level can stretch the teams vertical shape, and here DL stepping up more could be a viable choice.

Tactical versions currently used in FM23:

FM23 version: Create

FM23 version: Restrict

Edited by cmonreds

4 hours ago, sugarbear0511 said:

oh wow this is one amazing read.

Quick question is that really how the OI (trigger press/tight marking/etc) work?? Did you test it extensively(I'm sure you did, stupid question)?

Another question it looks like you maintain high possession because you're playing compact and encouraging players to be more diciplined, take fewer risks and shorter passing. Is this the template pretty much? What about team with high creative players (i.e. Bruno Guimaraes, De Bruyne) will they have problems using this tactic?

thanks a bunch!

Glad you enjoyed it,

With regard to your question about OI, it is not a stupid question. I have tested it for quite a few seasons in FM22 and four seasons FM23. Results are decent, it is hard for me to say if they would have been better/worse without or changes to them. In regards to matches it is relative similiar to what has been watched, remember these instructions are not absolute and followed by players in every situation that occurs during a match. It is also a way for me to try to grasp and create a meaning of the OI's, to have an understanding and base of how to use them. If you discover something else that changes my assumptions or can be added please share. This is the best I manage to achieve, there is no reason to believe that it is the best that can be achieved.

Good question, interpretation of template is spot on. Question about creative players is the same, creative players will have lesser freedom to be creative, still creative players will play and create more than teammates not possessing their attributes in the system, this is down to their ability to do this. I had the exact same thoughts as you about one player in the team, should he be given the extra freedom or not....

image.png.17c5457ae46bb459ce6f80246dd54579.png

Edited by cmonreds

10 hours ago, cmonreds said:

Glad you enjoyed it,

With regard to your question about OI, it is not a stupid question. I have tested it for quite a few seasons in FM22 and four seasons FM23. Results are decent, it is hard for me to say if they would have been better/worse without or changes to them. In regards to matches it is relative similiar to what has been watched, remember these instructions are not absolute and followed by players in every situation that occurs during a match. It is also a way for me to try to grasp and create a meaning of the OI's, to have an understanding and base of how to use them. If you discover something else that changes my assumptions or can be added please share. This is the best I manage to achieve, there is no reason to believe that it is the best that can be achieved.

Good question, interpretation of template is spot on. Question about creative players is the same, creative players will have lesser freedom to be creative, still creative players will play and create more than teammates not possessing their attributes in the system, this is down to their ability to do this. I had the exact same thoughts as you about one player in the team, should he be given the extra freedom or not....

image.png.17c5457ae46bb459ce6f80246dd54579.png

Wow what a player!