Just deleted the game again for the 6th/7th time lol, I posted some months ago on here that no matter who I choose to manage I simply keep struggling, others said the same thing. I thought I would give the game one last go but again I keep losing so I have deleted the game for good. Strange because I had success on FMM 19 but I simply ain't been able to get on with FMM 21. Not sure if maybe because the tactics were more simple in FMM 19. I will still purchase FMM 22 and will hopefully get on much better with that. The mobile team do very good work and here's hoping they have added some good additions to FMM 22, team talks cough cough lol, larger player database couch cough lol, and five playable leagues cough cough lol. Not sure if others out there have also deleted the game and gave up?

Edited by Hummingbird Saltalamacchia

I'm in the same boat as you @Hummingbird Saltalamacchia. Although I've stopped deleting the game, because I always end up re-installing it a bit later on! :lol:  No idea why this game is so addictive! I don't think I've been successful in this game for years now. My biggest hope for FMM22 is that the pre-set tactics are actually good ones, so I can pick whatever suits my team and then just go with it, not having to tinker with mentalities, player roles, set piece instructions and whatnot. I get that a lot of people like this stuff, but truth be told, I don't. I would love a  back to basics "pick up and play" mode. 

I've seen it is possible to run my favorite game CM 01/02 on phones now, so I'm keen to get that working ... 

Footix - it's good to hear that there are others who are in the same boat lol. Maybe I should do the same as you in not deleting the game lol. I won't be reinstalling it again I don't think, especially as 22 will be out in six/seven weeks time. I think that was the big issue for me with 21, choosing the tactic template, I forget what it was called lol, in my previous game I chose direct, and before that I chose park the bus, I always struggled with this aspect of the game. On 19 you just chose your formation so obviously it was more simpler than 21. I dread to think what the tactics will be like on PC lol. That's a good shout regarding the pre set tactics, that sounds better in my opinion. Let's hope they don't make the tactics more complex, as I just kept deleting 21 and played Soccer Boss and Soccer Manager 18 and 20, those are more basic games, Football Chairman Pro also. Interesting to see what has been added to 22. Good luck with getting CM on mobile.

StephenCronin - you must be a FM veteran? What is the secret to winning? I can't win for toffee or score lol. I guess in most cases it's about choosing the right team, I always start out in the lowest possible division, do you do well with teams in the lowest division? Would be great to hear your tips on how to do well. 

5 hours ago, Hummingbird Saltalamacchia said:

StephenCronin - you must be a FM veteran? What is the secret to winning? I can't win for toffee or score lol. I guess in most cases it's about choosing the right team, I always start out in the lowest possible division, do you do well with teams in the lowest division? Would be great to hear your tips on how to do well. 

Starting in the lowest divisions is a lot of fun. I like to do that and I generally build up my team with a mix of youth players and free agents. The first season you stick more or less with the roster that you have and then you gradually build it up. Don't be afraid to sell your prospects when they become good and then replace them with a new wave, that helps you build up the team's financial position. Look for guys with high technique and they will often turn into good players.

As far as management strategy, I generally play a relatively defensive counter-attacking style because I hate getting goals scored against me and I don't mind winning 1-0. Other people have described other approaches that work. For my style of play, I generally look for guys with plenty of pace and that helps me score enough to win and advance up the divisions.

I am probably over-simplifying, but the good thing about FMM is that you don't have to create a bunch of spreadsheets and track thousands of players in order to have success like in the regular game. One thing that I would say is that it may be better to move on to something else. If you do end up getting the hang of FMM you can easily waste a lot of your time playing.... ;)

8 hours ago, Hummingbird Saltalamacchia said:

Yeah, been playing since CM2, although FMM only since it came to Android. 

Don't want to tell you too much as knowing too much can be almost as bad! (although tips are out there, especially on places like FMMVibe or the Discord channel). But number one tip is to buy the best youngsters (19-21 probably best) you can find/afford and play them so they develop. There are things you can do with tactics and other things, but absolutely number 1 tip is get the best players you can and unless you have a lot of money, youngsters are the way to do it.

At lower levels you might be looking at some average looking players, but the concept still works. Especially look for young players that used to be at a big club. It'll be hit and miss, but if you concentrate on youngsters and play them, some will end up way better than your current squad (within a year). I often skirt with being sacked in the first half of the first season, then as the whole squad levels (up at the same time, it's so awesome), it quickly turns around and you climb the table. For eg, not this year, but last year, I took Macclesfield to the UCL within about 5 or 6 years just by following that approach. 

What usually happens is we start OK, then we lose a few games, morale starts plummeting, we lose more games, and some time before Christmas I'm looking for another job. 

How do you get out of bad streaks in this game? I can't figure it out. 

Also, when my GK plays it long, only for the opponent midfield to whack it right back to their striker for a 1 on 1.. It drives me crazy when that happens. Especially when it happens again and again and again and again and... 

And don't get me started on long shots. 🤬

Edited by Footix

• SI Staff
46 minutes ago, Footix said:

What usually happens is we start OK, then we lose a few games, morale starts plummeting, we lose more games, and some time before Christmas I'm looking for another job. 

How do you get out of bad streaks in this game? I can't figure it out. 

Also, when my GK plays it long, only for the opponent midfield to whack it right back to their striker for a 1 on 1.. It drives me crazy when that happens. Especially when it happens again and again and again and again and... 

And don't get me started on long shots. 🤬

What is the average age of your squad? - morale issues and having issues turning it around is generally a LOT worse with a very young squad. If this is the case then I find having an older head in there helps at times (especially if you make them captain).

With regards to the keeper, long-balls are fine so long as you win them in midfield/attack (as you're finding out) ... but if they come straight back at you then it's basically just giving the opposition posession, for this I used mixed or short distribution generally.

Long-shots - they're the bane of everyone, both in the game and irl imho .. some shots you just don't stop.

I am frustrated for the opposite. The game for me is waaaaaay to super easy so i stop playing. I dont know what you guys do wrong :) but no matter what team i pick in what ever league within 3 to 5 (with wales league i need 6-7 seasons) i become the most dominant team in the world. My last save i am 15 seasons as a Trefelin BGC won 8 champions league, 13 welsh championships, club wold cups etc etc. I stop playing the game in total because its waaay to easy.

Unlike DW19 (Diego Simeone is that you? :) I like to play very attacking game. I dont care if opponent score 2 or 3 goals every game as long as i score 1 more than them. For me 4-2-3-1 with target man, 2 inside forwards and a shadow striker are making wonders in the game. And my first transfer is always the best possible GK i can get and at the start of the game there are great out of contracts GK.

And @Hummingbird Saltalamacchia if you strugling go for the big team as a learning process. Play 2 seasons with man city or liverpool or some team of that status and teat test various tactics and situations because they are good enough on all positions for testing. After you learn a little and see how and what goes you can basically apply it to every team you want. Every year for new game edition Liverpool is my test club for learning new things. After i master with them i just apply the learned things to any club. Because as in real life all the clubs are the same only some clubs are richer than others and they can try new things :) this dont apply to my favorite Ath Bilbao ofcourse because they are most challenging club in big 5 leagues on all manager games.

Edited by Zoot

Not to the same extent as @Zoot, but I find the game pretty easy now too.

I usually limit myself to just single nationality squads and free transfer, loans, exchanges (i.e. no transfer fees paid).

Even with those restrictions, I've won a couple of Serie A titles with Palermo having started in the third tier seven seasons ago.

Having said that, I can't blame the game. My relative success is simply based on experience. I've been heavily playing FMM for 5 or 6 years now, so I'm obviously going to benefit from that. It's a tough balancing act and I can't expect SI to make the game impossibly difficult just to satisfy veterans otherwise you won't get any new players sticking around. I would be interested in knowing what other people do to make it more of a challenge or if SI are planning to introduce some sort of difficulty settings in-game. 

I would also agree that, having played as them in a previous version, Bilbao is probably the toughest job you can have in this game simply due to the limited pool of players. It's a lot of fun though. Might give them a try again in FMM 22. 😉

Edited by passenger58

@passenger58

Try Bilbao but no transfers in you can only sell players. You can just take players that are promoted from your academy. That will make a bit of challenge because you might need to change tactics as there is possibility that you dont get a player on lets say LB or RB for many many years i know in one save i did not get a forward better than 1 star for like 7 or 8 years. 

Edited by Zoot

• 2 weeks later...

As a veteran player I’m one of those who thinks game is too easy and within few seasons everything is won. But as the game is unique and still fun to start with new “projects” I still keep playing.

One of the fun part is to have my own restrictions to work with. Last and current one is that I play with Danish club, AaB, and I can only add Scandinavian players. Also, wage must be kept under 150k£/pw. Transfers with triple the value must be accepted and I can use only 1/3 of the money coming in. Yes, Danish league is walk in the park but at least European competitions are hard to be successful with squad restrictions.

Of course it would be delightful addition to the game having ability to increase difficulty, like hardcore mode. 

• SI Staff
9 hours ago, Random_bloke said:

Of course it would be delightful addition to the game having ability to increase difficulty, like hardcore mode. 

That was partially the reason I put the 'Reputation' setting into the game, football is football ... but it is a lot more challenging if your players don't respect you (and vice versa if you're set as a 'superstar manager' then it's somewhat easier to recruit players because they want to play for a manager they view as world class and are less likely to get uppity because they trust your judgement ... at least until you prove them wrong ;) ).

3 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

That was partially the reason I put the 'Reputation' setting into the game, football is football ... but it is a lot more challenging if your players don't respect you (and vice versa if you're set as a 'superstar manager' then it's somewhat easier to recruit players because they want to play for a manager they view as world class and are less likely to get uppity because they trust your judgement ... at least until you prove them wrong ;) ).

That's not a bad shout. I normally start the game with the highest rep I have available. I'll downgrade in future.